RB situation.....

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3toh07kv said:
A lot of people don't watch Huskies games, either. The Stanford RBs have stolen all the publicity over the last three seasons.

Gaskin has a chance to be seriously good. If they can't draft Guice and trade down into the 2nd round, why not?

Yeah, saw him in the Bowl game. He looked impressive.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Watched somed Chubb tape. He isn't nearly quick enough for NFL running lanes. Takes 10 yards to get to full speed. He's a 5th rounder and I'm not even sure if I touch that. He's a career backup that will have to work on completing his game.

Also watched a little bit of Harris. Don't care much for bama backs, but his 0 to 60 isn't broken like Chubb. Harris' long speed is broken though. He has none really. He's got a better chance of being an NFL back though because he's quicker and plays with better pad level.

Also not sure if the LSU back isn't like a more of the same that we already have. Reminds me of Rawls in a lot of ways. Mike Davis is also similar, but has much better agility and jump cut than both.

Not really all that wild about any of them. Barkley still looks like Thomlinson though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well bubble burst time, we do not spend 1st round talent on skill positions, RB, CB, QB, WR, the contracts are high and second contracts are higher, chances of moving them from one position to another lower or non existent if they don't fit.

Our biggest contributor was a 3rd rounder in Griffin last year.

Saying that we will look at D line and O line once again or completely trade out of the first hoping to pick up a second and a third or a couple 3rds. That's where I would start looking at skill players, I have the feeling that Pete and John think Davis, Prosise and Carson along with McKissic can get the job done with another addition, getting Carson in the 7th will only solidify their thinking on this.

Seymour

Reaction score
tifferradish":2v3v9roz said:
Gaskin in the draft too :)

Possible. Projected as a 4-6 round pick believe it or not. :shock:

5 days ago - Myles Gaskin*, RB, Washington Height: 5-10. Weight: 193. Projected 40 Time: 4.52. Projected Round (2018): 4-6. 12/30/17: This year, Gaskin is averaging 6.2 yards per carry for 1,282 yards and 19 touchdowns. He has made some great catches and has flashed as a receiver out of the backfield

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":19zfnfvz said:
tifferradish":19zfnfvz said:

5 days ago - Myles Gaskin*, RB, Washington Height: 5-10. Weight: 193. Projected 40 Time: 4.52. Projected Round (2018): 4-6. 12/30/17: This year, Gaskin is averaging 6.2 yards per carry for 1,282 yards and 19 touchdowns. He has made some great catches and has flashed as a receiver out of the backfield
Would love to have Gaskln.
In that bowl game the way he runs out of the shotgun impressed me.
He follows his blocks well and he catches the ball well.
I am not sure how he blocks.
I'd grab him in the 3rd or 4th round.
We never use our 1st rd anyway so no point in saying who there.

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1w5fwl47 said:
Seymour":1w5fwl47 said:
tifferradish":1w5fwl47 said:

This could be a problem currently.

There has to be a block there to follow........................

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1wzf03mo said:
IndyHawk":1wzf03mo said:
Seymour":1wzf03mo said:
tifferradish":1wzf03mo said:

This could be a problem currently.

There has to be a block there to follow........................
Well I don't think he would be like Rawls..Running ahead of them or into them.
I understand hat you mean though.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":27u5fb7o said:
hawknation2017":27u5fb7o said:
Sun Tzu":27u5fb7o said:
hawknation2017":27u5fb7o said:
+1

Guice or Gaskin. Hmmm . . . hard decision.

I guess I would take Guice. Great combination of power and explosiveness.

#1 Barkley (out of reach), #2 Guice (possibly out of reach), #3 Gaskin (probably available at #18).
Probably available at 18? How about probably available at pick 18 of round three?
If he's drafted in the first round a GM should be fired before the cameras get a picture of him holding up a jersey.

Wow, you are really down on Gaskin. Can I ask why? I think Gaskin has a chance to be a stud, a la Alvin Kamara.

Kamara went in the middle of Round 3, so maybe you have a point.

Kamara going that late in the draft was a mistake an shows not many scouts actually went to Tennessee last year, just looked at numbers. He single handily took over a couple of games for the Volunteers and made them look like a better team than they were.

Your point is right on the money. Behold:

[youtube]XSJ39jsZSxg[/youtube]

I always love to look at old college tape to get the gist of who will be a bell cow running back, and compare them to the current prospects. Looking at Kamara's tape, it is insane he went in the 3rd round. You're totally right

I think part of why teams ignored him is because they probably figured he was a "gadget" back, without the size and "power" of other backs. Scouts/GMs tend to look for Adrian Peterson, Leonard Fournette, David Johnson, Marshawn Lynch types. I think that's why so many love Barkley

Granted I think Barkley will be great, but it always amazes me how certain players get overlooked because of appearance. If Myles Gaskin was a little beefier and had a Barkley like build, I think he'd get more attention

When I look at tape, Guice and Love scream out to me as NFL ready talent. Gaskin is also a sleeper. I'm not high on Chubb or Harris, and I'm sure that like last year, there's a 2nd or 3rd rounder we're over looking because they're not hyped by the media

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1qukdksg said:
seahawkfreak":1qukdksg said:
hawknation2017":1qukdksg said:
Sun Tzu":1qukdksg said:
Probably available at 18? How about probably available at pick 18 of round three?
If he's drafted in the first round a GM should be fired before the cameras get a picture of him holding up a jersey.

Wow, you are really down on Gaskin. Can I ask why? I think Gaskin has a chance to be a stud, a la Alvin Kamara.

Kamara went in the middle of Round 3, so maybe you have a point.

Kamara going that late in the draft was a mistake an shows not many scouts actually went to Tennessee last year, just looked at numbers. He single handily took over a couple of games for the Volunteers and made them look like a better team than they were.

Your point is right on the money. Behold:

[youtube]XSJ39jsZSxg[/youtube]

I always love to look at old college tape to get the gist of who will be a bell cow running back, and compare them to the current prospects. Looking at Kamara's tape, it is insane he went in the 3rd round. You're totally right

I think part of why teams ignored him is because they probably figured he was a "gadget" back, without the size and "power" of other backs. Scouts/GMs tend to look for Adrian Peterson, Leonard Fournette, David Johnson, Marshawn Lynch types. I think that's why so many love Barkley

Granted I think Barkley will be great, but it always amazes me how certain players get overlooked because of appearance. If Myles Gaskin was a little beefier and had a Barkley like build, I think he'd get more attention

When I look at tape, Guice and Love scream out to me as NFL ready talent. Gaskin is also a sleeper. I'm not high on Chubb or Harris, and I'm sure that like last year, there's a 2nd or 3rd rounder we're over looking because they're not hyped by the media

Nice post and not just because you agree with me but I watched a total of 3 Tennessee games last year and he was absolutely phenomenal on a bad team. I think he played 1 season and didn't even start a lot (could be wrong) but this just showed me that every inch isn't surveyed in college. When New Orleans drafted him I remember thinking, wow, that should be a good pick up.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Barkley isn't just some big back. I compare him to LT because he's the best athlete and football player out there. He accelerates like that newest unveiled Tesla Roadster. It's all torque and the top end speed is all there too. It's also not as if he's just a n/s guy either. Lateral agility and center of gravity, etc, etc, etc. It's all there. Haven't seen a back like him in forever. Guys like Gurley and Elliot are second fiddle compared to this talent and I don't ever say things like that cept for maybe Bobby Wagner when I was scouting him to take over for Heater. It's literally all there.

But everyone's also right that he'll go top 5. Maybe top 3, if people are smart. He'll change an organization with even average blocking and I'd stick to 20 carries per game max just to keep him around longer. Don't bother with some metric about 1st round RBs. I would normally agree, but this one's different.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
vin.couve12":39nzql3x said:
Barkley isn't just some big back. I compare him to LT because he's the best athlete and football player out there. He accelerates like that newest unveiled Tesla Roadster. It's all torque and the top end speed is all there too. It's also not as if he's just a n/s guy either. Lateral agility and center of gravity, etc, etc, etc. It's all there. Haven't seen a back like him in forever. Guys like Gurley and Elliot are second fiddle compared to this talent and I don't ever say things like that cept for maybe Bobby Wagner when I was scouting him to take over for Heater. It's literally all there.

But everyone's also right that he'll go top 5. Maybe top 3, if people are smart. He'll change an organization with even average blocking and I'd stick to 20 carries per game max just to keep him around longer. Don't bother with some metric about 1st round RBs. I would normally agree, but this one's different.

Physical, mental, size, strength and speed. He is on Adrian Peterson's level if not better.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kerryon Johnson is entering the draft.

I will be hence forth referring to him as "Legs."

Just a friggin weird body style. One I haven't seen at RB in a long time. Your most similar body styles would probably be Dickerson and Allen. High set, very leggy players. More legs and arms than torso it almost seems. They run funny. Kind of ugly even. Seems it has it's advantages though since people have a harder time grabbing onto legs, with proper lean, than a big body. Leg injuries could be a problem. Watched him get injured all by himself just trying to cut.

Seems really effective, but like other body styles like his, it's so damn odd it throws me off. I need to see more, Just check vision in tighter spaces and the real valuable mental parts of a RBs game. Not sure yet.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":r1w6l858 said:
vin.couve12":r1w6l858 said:

Physical, mental, size, strength and speed. He is on Adrian Peterson's level if not better.
If you were to ask me if I'd rather have LT or Peterson I'd choose LT any day all day and not think twice.

massari

Reaction score
Mike Davis has a career 2.9 YPC in 122 touches and was released by the 49ers. Why do some people feel good with him and a 7th round pick coming off a broken ankle as the top two guys? Rawls looked better than Carson as a rookie.

They need a RB in rounds 1-3 of this loaded class.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Penny is another guys who runs weird that throws me off. He doesn't play in the SEC though and isn't as leggy as Johnson. Probably get back to that later. There's plenty of time and things will change.

Trying to poke holes in Johnson's game because he's so alien, but he just keeps surprising me. Vision, timing of lean, navigating tight spaces, open field craftiness, and some other things are there. Equilibrium even seems to be on par for such a high set athlete. I will say that he seems to have time to choose most of the time. That's not the NFL in most cases. Still, sometimes dude pulls off these subtleties that get him n/s that sort of go unnoticed even in tight and immediate traffic.

I really don't know where to put him. I sort of don't like watching him run all weird and ish, but he pulls off this strange, leaning, surprising, effectiveness.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
massari":25yekzcv said:
Mike Davis has a career 2.9 YPC in 122 touches and was released by the 49ers. Why do some people feel good with him and a 7th round pick coming off a broken ankle as the top two guys? Rawls looked better than Carson as a rookie.

They need a RB in rounds 1-3 of this loaded class.
It's Carson and another guy at this point. If we can make Carson a backup, we're set. If we can make it a 1-2, we're set. Anything less than that then I don't think it's good enough. Ideally, Davis is the 3rd string. I know he'd hate that, but I want to see balance in this offense. It's where it's the most efficient as a whole.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Went back to Freeman vs WSU and every time I watch him I think he should be better. Physically, you're probably looking at only Barkley being better there in the draft. Vision isn't there a lot of the time. Watched a few games and if the lane isn't clear he has a hard time picking and committing, almost not even knowing what he's capable of. His ceiling is still really, really high, which is why I keep checking back while also watching other backs. Jonathan Stewart like almost, but it's not quite there.

chris98251

Reaction score
One thing you can't coach is vision and instincts, being a better athlete and dominating can be misleading many times. When the competition has the same type of athletic skills and the secondary intangibles like vision and ability to feel a hole opening etc are there that's when you get special.

massari

Reaction score
Wonder if something like Earl Thomas+#18 would be enough for Barkley? Maybe even trade off Sherman/Bennett to get more ammo too?

Wilson+Barkley would be fun. :179417: