Richard Sherman: Punt Returner (per Seahawks.com)

Cartire

Reaction score
Escamillo":4idckt17 said:
bbsplitter":4idckt17 said:
They still have RS listed as starting punt returner(via Tate's departure)... http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html . I highly doubt they will have our star CB back there returning punts? At least I would think... but who in the draft would they trust from the get go year one to return? Who on the roster currently?

Kenny Easely was the Seahawks punt returner in 1984 and part of 1985. So there's precedent for a star player in the secondary returning punts. Now that I think of it, Mel Blount was the Steelers punt returner in 1975 and 1976.

Teams that take special teams seriously aren't afraid to put their best players out there on special teams. Teams that don't take it seriously and put scrubs out there pay the price.

Sanders would be the first tome come to mind. Currently Patrick Peterson is a modern example.

That being said. Sherman is the best at playing corner. He's not nessacarily the most athletic or best all around player on the team. And honestly, I don't think he has the quick moves needed to be a punt returner. He overcomes his athletic deficiencies (minimal) with extreme football IQ and being able to read routes on the fly.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":k13c7ocp said:
I'd love to see Sherman returning punts.

Seriously, imagine if he picks off a QB and returns it for a TD, then we force their offense to go 3-and-out, and on the ensuing punt he returns it to the house for another TD? I wonder if there has ever been a player to return an interception or a fumble for a TD as well as a punt or kick return for a TD in a single game before?

I would die laughing. "Don't you EVER try me with a sorry punter like <name>!"

D. Sanders did it

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":3hx55k1h said:
NO, in color this time

grumpy_cat_opinion.jpg

:lol:

Basis4day

Reaction score
I hope everyone here is not actually advocating for this scenario and is simply bored during the off-season.

Reminds me of last season when quite a few posters were advocating for Thomas to be our slot corner or moving Kam to LB (Despite, you know, being All-Pro or Pro-Bowl at their respective positions at the time). Even then, if you're REALLY going to entertain the idea of one of the Big 3 of the LOB returning punts, go with Thomas. He could actually be really good at it and i hope to never find out.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sherm would probably do great, but i'd like to see CMike returning punts if for no other reason than to get him some real game reps.

sutz

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3a6fygxi said:
JMR":3a6fygxi said:
It's still going to increase his risk of injury because that's more plays he's going to be involved in than he would have otherwise.
Yeah, it's called "playing football". He was on the field for 1,194 snaps for the 2013 season, playoffs included. You're talking about adding what, 4-5 per game? I just did the math, last season the average NFL team punted 78.4375 times for the entire season, total. Sherman's season-long snaps would increase by approximately 4.9 per game. Not much.
But you're not including the Seahawks factor. As the best defense in a while, we would probably have a higher number of punt returns than the statistical average. ;)

FTR, I personally don't want him to do this and I doubt we will go this way. While Sherm is a great athlete, I suspect we'll have a better option in terms of explosive speed with the ball in hand.

Nice discussion, though, with some....er.....creative comments. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Basis4day":148c5bmw said:
I hope everyone here is not actually advocating for this scenario and is simply bored during the off-season.

Reminds me of last season when quite a few posters were advocating for Thomas to be our slot corner or moving Kam to LB (Despite, you know, being All-Pro or Pro-Bowl at their respective positions at the time). Even then, if you're REALLY going to entertain the idea of one of the Big 3 of the LOB returning punts, go with Thomas. He could actually be really good at it and i hope to never find out.
You are comparing two completely different things; this is NOTHING like the ridiculous assertion that we should put Earl at CB. Nobody's talking about changing Sherman's job, we're talking about adding a small duty on top of it that doesn't affect what he currently does.

Come on, man.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I don't think this has a very good chance of happening.

If he improves his ability to consistently field punts, this could be good way to get Christine Michael on the field.

Phillip Adams may have a chance to make the team as a backup punter and reserve nickel corner.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Highly doubt he's our day 1 PR.

I don't trust these depth charts until around August.

themunn

Reaction score
Cartire":6vzns6fq said:
Escamillo":6vzns6fq said:
bbsplitter":6vzns6fq said:
They still have RS listed as starting punt returner(via Tate's departure)... http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html . I highly doubt they will have our star CB back there returning punts? At least I would think... but who in the draft would they trust from the get go year one to return? Who on the roster currently?

Kenny Easely was the Seahawks punt returner in 1984 and part of 1985. So there's precedent for a star player in the secondary returning punts. Now that I think of it, Mel Blount was the Steelers punt returner in 1975 and 1976.

Teams that take special teams seriously aren't afraid to put their best players out there on special teams. Teams that don't take it seriously and put scrubs out there pay the price.

Sanders would be the first tome come to mind. Currently Patrick Peterson is a modern example.

That being said. Sherman is the best at playing corner. He's not nessacarily the most athletic or best all around player on the team. And honestly, I don't think he has the quick moves needed to be a punt returner. He overcomes his athletic deficiencies (minimal) with extreme football IQ and being able to read routes on the fly.

The results from that ESPN Sports Science thing a few months back suggests that he's far more athletic than people think. I think the "not the most athletic guy" harks back to maybe a criticism of him before he was drafted.

When was the last time you saw him out-athleted on the field though? He gets burned by the occasional move as all players do, but I can't remember ever seeing him actually flat out beat athletically last year

Cartire

Reaction score
themunn":nj2b88n8 said:
Cartire":nj2b88n8 said:
Escamillo":nj2b88n8 said:
bbsplitter":nj2b88n8 said:

The results from that ESPN Sports Science thing a few months back suggests that he's far more athletic than people think. I think the "not the most athletic guy" harks back to maybe a criticism of him before he was drafted.

When was the last time you saw him out-athleted on the field though? He gets burned by the occasional move as all players do, but I can't remember ever seeing him actually flat out beat athletically last year

First and for most, ESPN Sports Science is a complete joke and the furthest thing from science.

That being said, I do think Sherman is extremely athletic. But I stand by my statement. He is very fast. But that's his top line speed. His acceleration is not the best. His ability to juke and cut is not as good as you would think.

His ability as a corner does take into account his athleticism. But his IQ is what keeps him glued to the best WRs. Richard himself has admitted he's not the top athletic CB. He said it's not close. But that his ability to read the players and over football IQ is what puts him over the top.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't want Sherman getting injured. In fact, he should be permanently benched so that he stays healthy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2zxo0ms5 said:
Basis4day":2zxo0ms5 said:

You are comparing two completely different things; this is NOTHING like the ridiculous assertion that we should put Earl at CB. Nobody's talking about changing Sherman's job, we're talking about adding a small duty on top of it that doesn't affect what he currently does.

Come on, man.

I said it REMINDED me of it.

Aside from that it is a truly awful, terrible idea that should only seriously considered under the influence of alcohol.

Tokadub

Reaction score
If we weren't so thin with our receiver depth I think Baldwin could do well. But Baldwin will possibly be alternating with Harvin for Kickoff returns when we have a comfortable lead?

I'd really like to see how Christine Michael does but it's really hard to say if he'll get the job. I'm not sure if they were just saving him and keeping him fresh, theoretically extending his career by benching him almost all of last season. If that's the case I think he has a good shot at punt returns. But if there were greater issues like his maturity, or coach-ability, not willing to block etc. I think they might not fully trust him for punts.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you were going to take a starter from our secondary to return punts or kick offs it should be Earl Thomas, blazing speedy, accelerates quickly and can cut and change direction very well.

Having said that, no on both accounts, we could use any number of back ups or guys with more depth at the position.

47degreesn

Reaction score
Doesn't Richard Sherman help block on punt returns anyways? I think it is more common to be injured blocking than actually returning the punt.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CANHawk":3v4r934z said:
Sherm would probably do great, but i'd like to see CMike returning punts if for no other reason than to get him some real game reps.
I hope they try it in preseason to see if that's a good option.