Richard Sherman: Punt Returner (per Seahawks.com)

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":224fzaic said:
XxXdragonXxX":224fzaic said:
I'd like to see that broken down per play, considering there are far fewer punts than run/pass plays
Why? That would give you no additional information. It's a percentage graph...

You're right, I was reading the graph wrong. It was already broken down how I described.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":fwurqpll said:
RolandDeschain":fwurqpll said:
XxXdragonXxX":fwurqpll said:
I'd like to see that broken down per play, considering there are far fewer punts than run/pass plays
Why? That would give you no additional information. It's a percentage graph...

The percent of injueries per play would be higher for punts than for pass/run plays. By a wide margin.

This graph shows the percent of injuries per play, and the injury rate is slightly higher for pass/run/kickoff plays than punts.

The only thing this graph shows me is that players get injured on 1-2% of plays, except on FG attempts in which very few players become injured.

Injuryratebyyear

Sherminator

Reaction score
Id rather have the other Stanford graduate returning kickoffs
Doug Baldwin

Cartire

Reaction score
Sherminator":1b6dpf0t said:
Id rather have the other Stanford graduate returning kickoffs
Doug Baldwin

Honestly, if we don't draft someone with a strong return skill set, I think ADB is the obvious choice.

Tokadub

Reaction score
lucky49":sn4ds0tn said:
you guys should have russel wilson returning punts and it would totally blow nfl network's mind

What's most hilarious about that quote is that Russell would probably be pretty damn good at punt returns. He has great vision, exceptionally footwork, and accelerates super fast with pretty good top speed.

Really nice to have such an athletic QB :D

Does anyone remember this play against the Redskins in the playoffs where Wilson sprints past Lynch setting up the block for a guaranteed touchdown. It was pretty good:

[youtube]wERblvp133w[/youtube]

Wilson starts 7 yards behind Lynch when they both start running, by the time Lynch had ran 7 yards Wilson already caught up to him and zips right past him.

Now I know Lynch doesn't really run full speed since he's always ready to go all Beast Mode and plow through people, but still it's pretty funny to see Wilson do something like that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The problem isn't that punt returns are not inherently more dangerous than other plays. The problem is that the more we put him on the field in any situation, it increases the risk of injury.

I guess you have to look at it as risk/reward. Is Sherman such a good punt returner that we'd be willing to accept the increased risk of him getting injured? I haven't seen Richard returning punts, but my gut feeling is that there are a number of other players on our roster that could do just as good if not better job of returning punts as Sherman would.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I'd say let Ricardo Lockette do it. He's pretty fast, small and shifty. But it's likely that his time with Hawks is done. I would cringe to see Sherman back there to return punts. Bring on the draft and let the guys compete.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily have to be someone on our current roster. It's an open position, so let it be filled organically during the preseason.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They have already added Phillip Adams to the roster. He would be serviceable as a backup punt returner. Career stats: 37 returns for 227 yards (6.1 yard average). Problem is he lacks the big play ability we had with Tate-- just three of his returns went for 20+ yards. And he has three fumbles in just 37 returns.

Christine Michael, Doug Baldwin, or Percy Harvin would be the most dynamic options currently on the roster. They could also add another dynamic option via the draft (i.e. Dri Archer or DeAnthony Thomas).

Smellyman

Reaction score
first thing they need to be able to do is catch the ball. A lot of the people mentioned, we have no idea if very good at it.

Actually not the easiest thing in the world catching the moon shots of nfl punters AND having nerves of steel.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Smellyman":9tptdpcd said:
first thing they need to be able to do is catch the ball. A lot of the people mentioned, we have no idea if very good at it.

Actually not the easiest thing in the world catching the moon shots of nfl punters AND having nerves of steel.

Absolutely! I worry more about punt returns than I do any other single play. They always occur in your own territory so a lost fumble usually means points for the opponent, and as many times as the play is called back for an illegal block, I sometimes wonder if we wouldn't be money ahead to fair catch every single one.

Tate was a fantastic punt returner. It was his punt return that bailed our asses out of the Tampa Bay game.

bigcc

Reaction score
Throwdown":2a25xjif said:
Highly doubt he's our day 1 PR.

I don't trust these depth charts until around August.

They had him listed at #2 all of last season.

I hate the idea, imagine him trash talking a receiver who then gets to play gunner........ I'm just envisioning the couple blows lockette destroyed a dude.

bigcc

Reaction score
as for who I think SHOULD do it, Michael would make sense but he may end up with the same issue as percy...... KR=/= PR......

I honestly think it'll be Baldwin, he did a fairly decent job in college (so knows how to do it) and I don't see him making many dumb decisions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigcc":296vuskc said:
as for who I think SHOULD do it, Michael would make sense but he may end up with the same issue as percy...... KR=/= PR......

I honestly think it'll be Baldwin, he did a fairly decent job in college (so knows how to do it) and I don't see him making many dumb decisions.

It's too early IMO to name a punt returner.

If the Hawks are going to draft a couple WR's, my guess is one of them is going to be an all purpose type WR like Tate was when he was drafted. Pete and John are big on drafting players that they can mold into what they need.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I see Christine Michael becoming our primary punt returner when all is said and done.

bigcc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jgawp94 said:
bigcc":2jgawp94 said:

It's too early IMO to name a punt returner.

If the Hawks are going to draft a couple WR's, my guess is one of them is going to be an all purpose type WR like Tate was when he was drafted. Pete and John are big on drafting players that they can mold into what they need.

Lol clearly, I meant given the current state of the roster.... obviously subject to change between now and the 50 roster transactions that are made before now and week 1

jblaze

Reaction score
No, not Sherm, he doesn't have the shiftyness needed.

PR is a position a lot of people get with rookies. We'll likely have one of our lower WR's or CB's returning kicks that gets drafted this year.

That or, didn't we sign a FA CB a month or so ago? The guy had PR experience too. Can't seem to find details of his signing though.