Rob Staton on 710 MUST listen

ivotuk

Reaction score
JAKE AND STACY -- Hour 3 - Rob Staton on the Seahawks' draft targets at pick #9

The Seahawks all of a sudden are in possession of a top 10 draft pick, so who are some names fans should familiarize themselves with before April's draft? Jake and Stacy are joined by Rob Staton of SeahawksDraftBlog.com who dives in to the prospects as well as gives his reaction to the stunning trade of Russell Wilson and the release of Bobby Wagner. In NFL Headlines, what are the Commanders doing by acquiring Carson Wentz?

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Stacy

MIKE SALK -- Hour 1-Saying thank you to Russell Wilson

After a full show of reactionary anger from Salk the day after Russell's trade to Denver, and today Salk wants to say thank you to #3 for what he did for the city, the team and Salk himself. With the Deshaun Watson conversation heating up, Jake & Stacy (10a-2p) have a very pointed response to what that says about Russell and the Seahawks.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... =Mike+Salk

JAKE AND STACY -- Hour 2 - ESPN's Mina Kimes on a whirlwind 24 hours for the Seahawks, QB carousel

Hour two of Jake and Stacy starts off with Four Down Territory. What is Jake's prediction for who will be Seattle's starting QB in week 1? Later, they take your calls on what should the Seahawks do at the QB spot in 2022? ESPN's Mina Kimes joins the show to give her reaction to the departures of Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner 24 hours later. On The Timeline, maybe yesterday wasn't the best time for Castaway references?

JAKE AND STACY -- Hour 4 - MMQB's Albert Breer on where the Seahawks go next in search of a QB

With Russell Wilson gone, where will the Seahawks turn in search of a new starting quarterback? Jake and Stacy are pleased to be joined by Albert Breer of MMQB to start Wednesday's last hour. Midway through the hour, are we any closer to baseball coming back? What I Need to Know finishes out Wednesday.

MIKE SALK -- Hour 4-Greg Bishop and Brock Huard

Senior writer for Sports Illustrated Greg Bell joins Mike Salk to discuss Russell Wilson's time here in Seattle, whether Russ can be a culture changer in Denver and his recent story on Aaron Donald. Then, Brock Huard discusses the complicated issues with being a team in the mix for DeShaun Watson. Plus, It's national popcorn lover's day and Salk is very excited to theme Ranked around that.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... =Mike+Salk

renofox

Reaction score
Staton is the clueless guy who called the RW trade long before it happened and was attacked as a clueless idiot by 99% of the "connected" sports media who swore it would never happen - right up until the day it did.

His reasoning was accurate and logical and that just pisses off the emotionally driven pundits.

He has plenty of misses to go along with his hits, but he consistently gives cogent arguments for his positions. No wonder he is so hated.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Staton is the clueless guy who called the RW trade long before it happened and was attacked as a clueless idiot by 99% of the "connected" sports media who swore it would never happen - right up until the day it did.

His reasoning was accurate and logical and that just pisses off the emotionally driven pundits.

He has plenty of misses to go along with his hits, but he consistently gives cogent arguments for his positions. No wonder he is so hated.
He's hated because he's a block-happy manchild who gets personally offended by even simple disagreements, and his takes are not quite good enough to back up his level of smarminess.

If he was just a normal dude who wrote about draft trends, he wouldn't have such an active group of critics.

toffee

Reaction score

So did a few of us here in dot net, calling for trading Wilson seasons before it became fashionable.

renofox

Reaction score
He's hated because he's a block-happy manchild who gets personally offended by even simple disagreements, and his takes are not quite good enough to back up his level of smarminess.

If he was just a normal dude who wrote about draft trends, he wouldn't have such an active group of critics.
I haven't read him much (so I haven't seen that from him yet), but I've seen that take from plenty of others. Wouldn’t surprise me as most sports journos are douches.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I haven't read him much (so I haven't seen that from him yet), but I've seen that take from plenty of others. Wouldn’t surprise me as most sports journos are douches.
He was part of a really great class of posters here from the old days, back when we had an insane roster of dudes who could observe and write their asses off about the team. Just started getting to the point where he wouldn't accept dissent, unfortunately.

That's most of why people on, like, Seahawks twitter and whatnot clown on him these days. It's not his takes, really. He's come up with good stuff over the years. Really good stuff regarding explosive metrics and benchmarks that the Seahawks looked for in linemen under Cable, for instance.

renofox

Reaction score
He was part of a really great class of posters here from the old days, back when we had an insane roster of dudes who could observe and write their asses off about the team. Just started getting to the point where he wouldn't accept dissent, unfortunately.

That's most of why people on, like, Seahawks twitter and whatnot clown on him these days. It's not his takes, really. He's come up with good stuff over the years. Really good stuff regarding explosive metrics and benchmarks that the Seahawks looked for in linemen under Cable, for instance.
Every once in a while an interesting link takes me to his blog. From what I've seen he usually has a well thought out take, even though he is wrong just as often as everyone else.

I never got into the comments over there and, from what I'm hearing, probably never will. But he still does have some interesting takes sometimes.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Staton is a moron. Dont waste your time with that blowhard. I used to recommend his page until I realized he's a Grade A prick.
His content the last couple of years has been superb. And he's grown up a bunch. But he can be abrasive sometimes. But his interviews with McCloughan and Nagy the past couple of years alone are worth it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Staton is a moron. Dont waste your time with that blowhard. I used to recommend his page until I realized he's a Grade A prick.
His effort is top notch but he does screen his message board out so it’s merely a group of sycophants. No real discussion in there, just pandering to his ego.

But good info.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score

He did say he was getting death threats to him and his family, so I dont really blame him for all the blocking he does. The arguing also got to the point that other great posters (I miss Kearly's post game thoughts the most) just left because every thread turned into a war.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I just lurk there so all I see is a guy that is way more spot on about the Seahawks and players they usually draft then most people not counting the stupidity of drafting for need from probably 2015-21 LJ Collier anyone?

1. Draft is for BPA regardless hence Witherspoon
2. FA is for need full stop no pass/go or $200

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score
I just lurk there so all I see is a guy that is way more spot on about the Seahawks and players they usually draft then most people not counting the stupidity of drafting for need from probably 2015-21 LJ Collier anyone?

2. FA is for need full stop no pass/go or $200
It's ok to have a theory and a perpective even if your wrong. His problem is that he gets pissed off and instead of having a conversation supporting his claim, he takes everything personally and starts banning people because he can't support his claims any other way. most of the time he is wrong.

LTH

Fudwamper

Reaction score
It's ok to have a theory and a perpective even if your wrong. His problem is that he gets pissed off and instead of having a conversation supporting his claim, he takes everything personally and starts banning people because he can't support his claims any other way. most of the time he is wrong.

LTH
Completely disagree. He literally writes 1000+ words with support.

I think people see him as "getting pissed" or "abrasive" when they try to have a conversation, or refute with no provided substance or support.

There is a difference between conversation vs informed conversation. Most people when they disagree but don't really bring anything to the table when disagreeing him some do. Most people think they are having an informed conversation when really they are not.

Its merely the difference between this type of board and a blog. Most conversations here are like sitting in bar BSing he likes more bring an opinion with substance.

I like post forums, sometimes I like having bar bs sessions and other times I want to have an in-depth supportive conversation.

This whole wrong vs right thing is interesting topic in this thread. I think that mentality is more a personal bias/ what a reader brings to justify their stance/feelings on a topic. Again it also is reflective of the whole name calling people in this thread display. Its interesting to see the posters that name call and like posts with name calling in them have very certain posting tendencies and similar conversation tendencies.

LTH

Reaction score
Completely disagree. He literally writes 1000+ words with support.

I think people see him as "getting pissed" or "abrasive" when they try to have a conversation, or refute with no provided substance or support.

There is a difference between conversation vs informed conversation. Most people when they disagree but don't really bring anything to the table when disagreeing him some do. Most people think they are having an informed conversation when really they are not.

Its merely the difference between this type of board and a blog. Most conversations here are like sitting in bar BSing he likes more bring an opinion with substance.

I like post forums, sometimes I like having bar bs sessions and other times I want to have an in-depth supportive conversation.

This whole wrong vs right thing is interesting topic in this thread. I think that mentality is more a personal bias/ what a reader brings to justify their stance/feelings on a topic. Again it also is reflective of the whole name calling people in this thread display. Its interesting to see the posters that name call and like posts with name calling in them have very certain posting tendencies and similar conversation tendencies.
lol...... have at it dude... if you like him there is plenty there for you.. me? not so much at all...can't stand the guy. Although to be fair... I don't watch or read most. I have just a few guys that I listen to for the most part my understanding is through my own perspective.

LTH

AgentDib

Reaction score
This is ideal in theory but I have doubts about whether a team can ever completely separate talent from need. It lined up for the Hawks to take a CB and slot WR because we also needed talent there. The value you get from drafting players only comes if you are playing them, and there are finite numbers of players needed at each position.

How hard did we really look at the tackles this year, after hitting on two rookies last year and having promising depth with Curhan and Forsythe?
Would we have still taken JSN if Eskridge had been a hit with 1000 yards out of the slot last season?
Could the Eagles have taken any QB prospect at #9 after paying Hurts this off-season?

There's been a clear path for each of the players the Hawks have drafted the last two seasons to see playing time. If we were really out there going pure BPA then it wouldn't line up that nicely and we would have seen things like OT Anton Harrison at 20, FS/DB Brian Branch at 37, WRZ Rashee Rice at 52, or OLB Nick Herbig at 123. Even the two RBs we drafted fit clear needs replacing Penny and Homer.

LTH

Reaction score
This is ideal in theory but I have doubts about whether a team can ever completely separate talent from need. It lined up for the Hawks to take a CB and slot WR because we also needed talent there. The value you get from drafting players only comes if you are playing them, and there are finite numbers of players needed at each position.

How hard did we really look at the tackles this year, after hitting on two rookies last year and having promising depth with Curhan and Forsythe?
Would we have still taken JSN if Eskridge had been a hit with 1000 yards out of the slot last season?
Could the Eagles have taken any QB prospect at #9 after paying Hurts this off-season?

There's been a clear path for each of the players the Hawks have drafted the last two seasons to see playing time. If we were really out there going pure BPA then it wouldn't line up that nicely and we would have seen things like OT Anton Harrison at 20, FS/DB Brian Branch at 37, WRZ Rashee Rice at 52, or OLB Nick Herbig at 123. Even the two RBs we drafted fit clear needs replacing Penny and Homer.
I agree with you.... I think that where they pick the player is important as well.... one could argue that there was value as well as need in the picks they made.... so best player available at all costs? that is an over the top concept of Rob Staton and just proves he is out of touch of what's really going on.

Latest posts