Rob Staton on 710 MUST listen

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I just lurk there so all I see is a guy that is way more spot on about the Seahawks and players they usually draft then most people not counting the stupidity of drafting for need from probably 2015-21 LJ Collier anyone?

1. Draft is for BPA regardless hence Witherspoon
2. FA is for need full stop no pass/go or $200
Could you be stanning for him?Since you were here along with him years ago..
I just wonder is all.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I agree with you.... I think that where they pick the player is important as well.... one could argue that there was value as well as need in the picks they made.... so best player available at all costs? that is an over the top concept of Rob Staton and just proves he is out of touch of what's really going on.

My draft strategy opinion (FWIW) is:
1-20 - BPA premium position (DE, OT, QB, CB, WR)
20-32 - Trade out unless BPA in premium position still exists
Round 2 - BPA non premium position (RB, iOL, iDL, Safety, off ball LB)
Round 3-4 - Needs
Round 5-7 - special teams and flyers that could pan out

When Seattle follows this I think they do well. When they deviate and go for need early, they tend to get burned.

toffee

Reaction score
Pretty much says all you need to know on him.
He does have a blog where he doesn't accept people who disagree.
IMHO, his LinkedIn was a bit odd, especially for Brits. No education background, no peer recommendations etc.

AgentDib

Reaction score
My draft strategy opinion (FWIW) is:
1-20 - BPA premium position (DE, OT, QB, CB, WR)
Would you have been OK with a Tackle at #6 if the front office had them rated as the highest player on their board?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Of course where you pick a player is a critical factor for example if Jalen had fallen to the second round I believe we would have taken the risk but we couldn't in the first round regardless of need or BPA.

LTH

Reaction score
Of course where you pick a player is a critical factor for example if Jalen had fallen to the second round I believe we would have taken the risk but we couldn't in the first round regardless of need or BPA.
Why do think character is more important in the first round than the second round? As it sit's now, the Hawks feel like their first three picks are high character, first round picks...at least on their board. just curious to know what you think?

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
Pretty much says all you need to know on him.
He does have a blog where he doesn't accept people who disagree.
What is this blog? Oh I see.... this is where people are allowed to only stroke his ego and kiss his ass because he is the self-acclaimed Seahawk master? LOL Not me! LMAO!!!

No disrespect toward you Indy fully directed at Rob...

LTH

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Why do think character is more important in the first round than the second round? As it sit's now, the Hawks feel like their first three picks are high character, first round picks...at least on their board. just curious to know what you think?

LTH
Money

LTH

Reaction score
That's an interesting perspective..

Would the Hawks have taken Carter at 37? We will never know but it's interesting.

What do you guys think?

I disagree... I think they would not have taken him because he doesn't fit what they want from a player...the locker room is important to Carroll... but that's just my perspective who disagrees with me?

LTH

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Would you have been OK with a Tackle at #6 if the front office had them rated as the highest player on their board?

Offensive or Defensive? DT yes, OT no.

You have to remember that many players have equivalent grades so there is rarely one BPA when your slot comes up. There are several players with similar grades and you often have to choose. That's where need comes in.

I think if your list of BPA's are all areas of zero need (rare situation) then you trade down.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
That's an interesting perspective..

Would the Hawks have taken Carter at 37? We will never know but it's interesting.

What do you guys think?

I disagree... I think they would not have taken him because he doesn't fit what they want from a player...the locker room is important to Carroll... but that's just my perspective who disagrees with me?

LTH

I think they would have eventually taken a flyer on him as would several teams. But I suspect he was a third round risk. Top 5 talent but 7th round character.

LTH

Reaction score
sorry back on track, Yeah.... Rob Staton sucks LMFAO!!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Remember though you need to take in consideration the spin the GM has to push....ie. Anthony was the target but he can't EVER say it or say Witherspoon was 1B if Anderson is off the board. Personally I believe they would have taken Stroud or Anthony if available at 5 no question no matter the bullshit they tried to spin.

You don't structure Geno's contract for an out or sign convenience store clerk Lock to a 1 year deal unless you are looking for a real quarterback. Either way it worked out well for us so let's just hope Geno is the next Rich Gannon it can happen.

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score
Remember though you need to take in consideration the spin the GM has to push....ie. Anthony was the target but he can't EVER say it or say Witherspoon was 1B if Anderson is off the board. Personally I believe they would have taken Stroud or Anthony if available at 5 no question no matter the bullshit they tried to spin.

You don't structure Geno's contract for an out or sign convenience store clerk Lock to a 1 year deal unless you are looking for a real quarterback. Either way it worked out well for us so let's just hope Geno is the next Rich Gannon it can happen.
I guess you could look at it that way, or you could look at it as they just want to stay flexible, as they think Geno is going to be good, but nobody really knows Geno isn't a young man.... and if he is not good or he gets hurt, they have an out.

No way to know what the Hawks draft board looked like. Was Richardson the target? maybe, I mean you can make that assumption but that's what it is. I mean you can't base that off of the way they structured Lock and Geno.... I mean if you think about it if they really thought they might get Richardson then why not wait til after the draft to sign Lock? there are one-year deals all over the place on the seahawk roster.

It just depends on what you believe. The Hawks like Lock... they looked at him as better than any of the QB's in last years draft. I would hardly call Lock a store clerk... Just sayin...Lock is going to be a good QB he just needs reps.

LTH

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Ok. I accept you POV but Locke is trash want to put money where your mouth is?

Actually I said the very same about Geno but have zero faith in him.

LTH

Reaction score
Ok. I accept you POV but Locke is trash want to put money where your mouth is?

Actually I said the very same about Geno but have zero faith in him.
Oooh your kinda spicy... what kinda bet are you thinking?

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
Locke is pure average at best look it up. I actually saw him play so get real.
LMAO!!!! no I take that back your throwing punches LMAO!!! I kinda like your style... what happened to our bet?

LTH

Reaction score
Oops better call Saul LMAO!!!!or in your case Staton... hahahahahahahah!!!
Look I'm not trying to take away your opinion. I'm just stating mine you could be right or you could be wrong its just a discussion.

LTH