Rondy Rousey ... Cris Cyborg ... any comments?

Lawke

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3n19icna said:
raisethe3":3n19icna said:
I'd say Ronda. Since Cris got caught doing PED, Ronda never took one in her life. Been without it. Would be interesting if Cris fights Tate or Bethe Correa though.

They said the same things about Lance Armstrong. We don't know if Rousey's doping or not. I don't understand why all of you think Rousey would whip Cyborg. Justino has power like Rousey's never seen before. Would be an interesting fight.

Agreed that it would be an interesting fight. And while rondas never seen someone with cyborgs power, has cyborg really seen anyone with the grappling abilities of ronda? As for PED, these days in sports you can never really tell whos doing what, but what we do know for sure is that cyborg got caught. Still would love to see that fight happen. PogChamp

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":cgqoiji9 said:
Former UFC Light Heavyweight champion appeared on AXS TV's Inside MMA this weekend, and spoke about his former client Cris Cyborg. Ortiz, who is set for a Bellator Light Heavyweight Championship fight next month sounded confident that Cyborg would make 135 pounds.

You cannot believe anything Ortiz says. Ortiz was her former agent that had tried to get her in the UFC. His relationship is already very strained with the UFC, add to that terrible representation of Cris and you can see why Dana wants to make Cyborg work for the fight

There's a reason Cris fired him, and paraphrasing quotes here:

When Tito Ortiz was trying to convince Dana to make the fight and to get Ronda to come up in weight it was because "If Cris tries to cut to 135, she'll die".

So interviews after that you would hear Dana refuse to even want to make the fight because he did not want to force Cris to cut weight because "as her manager says, she'll die." (basically throwing it back into Tito's face)

Cris fired Tito later and tried to backtrack on statements made by Tito Ortiz because she really wants to fight Ronda.

A lot of that gets lost because this happened quite a few years ago, and it's part of the snarky attitude you'll see from Ronda and Dana regarding Cris.

I think Dana has the same position now, just softer, saying he'll indeed make the fight if he sees Cris cut to 135 absent of snarkyness.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":154olt5y said:
raisethe3":154olt5y said:
I'd say Ronda. Since Cris got caught doing PED, Ronda never took one in her life. Been without it. Would be interesting if Cris fights Tate or Bethe Correa though.

They said the same things about Lance Armstrong. We don't know if Rousey's doping or not. I don't understand why all of you think Rousey would whip Cyborg. Justino has power like Rousey's never seen before. Would be an interesting fight.

Overall I agree. Both women will clear out any other competitor in women's MMA. And then you have pretty much the "age old" tale of striker vs grappler. No way Ronda has seen power like Justino has, and no way Justino has seen grappling like Ronda has.

Even if they fought at their "natural" weight class (135 vs 145) you're basically talking about Ronda getting in close for a throw and Cris using her power to try to escape the throw. Considering Ronda in judo practice will throw people bigger than her (men included) I can't see Cris getting away from that throw. She'll have to outstrike her and not let Ronda in close.

It would be a darn good fight, I still would pick Rousey

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Discussions involving a megafight between Ronda Rousey and Cris "Cyborg" Justino on Dec. 5 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, have taken place, according to Justino's manager George Prajin.

Prajin told ESPN.com on Saturday he has had "multiple conversations" with UFC officials regarding the potential bout. On Friday, Justino's former co-manager and wrestling coach Tito Ortiz told "Inside MMA" the UFC had already officially "offered" the fight to Justino, setting off a wave of speculation.

While Prajin refused to discuss any details regarding negotiations, he did confirm they have taken place and that Justino (14-1) is confident she can make 135 pounds by December.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/13402 ... s-december

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Dana White: UFC didn't offer 'Cyborg' bout in Dallas against Ronda Rousey

Tito Ortiz, the former UFC light heavyweight champion and Justino's former training partner, created a furor on Friday during an appearance on AXS TV's "Inside MMA" when he said Justino was offered, and accepted, a fight in Cowboys Stadium against Rousey, the UFC's superstar women's bantamweight champion.

White, who once managed Ortiz but has not been on good terms with him for several years, said there was no truth to anything that Ortiz said.

White completed eviscerated Ortiz and his report about the offer to Justino.

"That was a complete lie," White told Yahoo Sports. "It's 100 percent a lie. First of all, the UFC doesn't even talk to Tito Ortiz, so let's start there. But we haven't offered any fight to [Justino]. Tito Ortiz is just making this [expletive] up. In no way, shape or form did we offer her a fight against Ronda at Cowboys Stadium. Completely untrue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagew ... 36760.html

massari

Reaction score
As much as I've tried, I just can't get into womens sports. Especially combat sports.

From what I know Rousey is always talking like she's the baddest women alive and no one can beat her (even saying she'd be Mayweather in MMA LOL), but is refusing to have a catchweight fight which would give her the biggest payday of her life?

It seems she only has confidence to compete against Cyborg if she nearly kills herself cutting so much weight. Also, Rousey used to fight at 145 and 150 so a catchweight 140 fight should be an ideal weight for her.

She sounds scared to me.

taz291819

Reaction score
massari":2pu7j3dt said:
As much as I've tried, I just can't get into womens sports. Especially combat sports.

From what I know Rousey is always talking like she's the baddest women alive and no one can beat her (even saying she'd be Mayweather in MMA LOL), but is refusing to have a catchweight fight which would give her the biggest payday of her life?

It seems she only has confidence to compete against Cyborg if she nearly kills herself cutting so much weight. Also, Rousey used to fight at 145 and 150 so a catchweight 140 fight should be an ideal weight for her.

She sounds scared to me.

In a MMA fight, Rousey would beat Mayweather.

Rousey is at her best at 135, why would she do a catchweight fight? She doesn't need the money.

massari

Reaction score
taz291819":2jurw5kc said:
massari":2jurw5kc said:

She sounds scared to me.

In a MMA fight, Rousey would beat Mayweather.

Rousey is at her best at 135, why would she do a catchweight fight? She doesn't need the money.

I realize she doesn't need the money but that's one of the reasons she fights Cyborg at a fair weight because it'd be her biggest payday. Another would be for her legacy. Even if Cyborg basically kills herself to somehow make 135 and Rousey won the fight, people wouldn't see it as a legit win since Cyborg wouldn't be anywhere near her physical peak.

Honestly, if I'm Rousey I just stay at 135 and avoid Cyborg altogether, fight amateur esque fighters to stay undefeated and keep acting in movies.

It's laughable that some people actually think she'd beat Floyd (or any other male in pro combat sports) in an MMA fight. Floyd would end her career with one jab as soon as she goes to clinch. You should watch her 2nd fight with Tate, who is a 135 pound woman (whereas Floyd is a 145 pound male). Whenever she got hit, her head snapped back and she had very concerned/scared look on her face. Fighting a male pro fighter would be a completely different ball game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I guess Rousey changed her mind on fighting a dude.

cyborg-justino.jpg

Phteven

Reaction score
athanas":3v1k01np said:
Ronda by any way she decides to end it.
Cyborg off the gas won't be able to hang with her, nor do I even think a roided Cyborg could finish the job.
Ronda has been training for war since she was a child. Her mom was a legit judoka in her day and passed on her will and determination to Ronda almost straight out of the chute.
Plus, anyone who trains under Gene LeBell's inner circle is going to come out iron. Talk about forgotten America heroes, "Judo" Gene is certainly one of them.

There is no other woman that can touch her at her weight class right now. Hell, no one within several weight classes, north or south. She's essentially a combination of Royce Gracie at the first few UFCs with a pitbull's ferocity.
QFT. Rousey is just 10 or 15 years ahead of her time. The person who can beat Rousey is probably 12 years old or so and watching MMA with her dad, thinking about being just like her.

The only person around who might possibly cause Rousey problems is Cyborg. But, it's the crazy that cyborg (or any other woman in the league) can't touch. Cyborg has way better striking that Rousey, although that's an area Ronda is improving in. Cyborg has the edge in wrestling, too, but even here Rousey's body awareness on the mat gives her a strong edge in any scramble. Cyborg's a legit blackbelt in BJJ, but the elite level judo that Rousey brings to the mat is formidable.

On paper, this could be a wash were it not for the crazy. The crazy gives Rousey the decided edge. She's got the right blend of insecurity and inferiority issues that leads to a fierce "with me or against me" mentality. You are either on her team or you are the enemy, and therefore beneath contempt. Couple that with the emotional and mental baggage she's carrying from her equally crazy mom, and there's a serious warrior. If there's any modern day fighter who was raised like Leonidas from 300, it's her. And that's the edge.

Phteven

Reaction score
massari":2yt1wlqo said:
I realize she doesn't need the money but that's one of the reasons she fights Cyborg at a fair weight because it'd be her biggest payday. Another would be for her legacy. Even if Cyborg basically kills herself to somehow make 135 and Rousey won the fight, people wouldn't see it as a legit win since Cyborg wouldn't be anywhere near her physical peak.

Honestly, if I'm Rousey I just stay at 135 and avoid Cyborg altogether, fight amateur esque fighters to stay undefeated and keep acting in movies.

It's laughable that some people actually think she'd beat Floyd (or any other male in pro combat sports) in an MMA fight. Floyd would end her career with one jab as soon as she goes to clinch. You should watch her 2nd fight with Tate, who is a 135 pound woman (whereas Floyd is a 145 pound male). Whenever she got hit, her head snapped back and she had very concerned/scared look on her face. Fighting a male pro fighter would be a completely different ball game.
If Mayweather can land the shot, sure. But we've seen it over and over. A pure boxer's stance is all wrong for MMA. He'd get exactly one chance to land the punch that will end the fight. Could it happen? Sure. But odds are that he's on his back and making excuses within the first round.

Tate has striking trained specifically for the MMA ruleset. She's also a very good wrestler and experienced in BJJ. Any boxer is going to be very uncomfortable against anyone who is used to striking AND grappling.

Mayweather would have the strength advantage, and he's a terrific boxer. But it's just apples and oranges. In a boxing match, he has a decided advantage against any MMA fighter. In an MMA match, he's functionally helpless. Not even a question.

massari

Reaction score
Phteven":1z3tos78 said:
massari":1z3tos78 said:

If Mayweather can land the shot, sure. But we've seen it over and over. A pure boxer's stance is all wrong for MMA. He'd get exactly one chance to land the punch that will end the fight. Could it happen? Sure. But odds are that he's on his back and making excuses within the first round.

Tate has striking trained specifically for the MMA ruleset. She's also a very good wrestler and experienced in BJJ. Any boxer is going to be very uncomfortable against anyone who is used to striking AND grappling.

Mayweather would have the strength advantage, and he's a terrific boxer. But it's just apples and oranges. In a boxing match, he has a decided advantage against any MMA fighter. In an MMA match, he's functionally helpless. Not even a question.

I wish this fight was realistically possible because I've never been so confident about an outcome of a sporting event and would make a killing betting people picking Rousey.

All it'd take IMO is a punch with 50/60% power to any part of Rousey's dome when she rushes him to get a throw/takedown and she will be KO'd. Male and female bone structures are totally different.

Floyd is a male pro athlete and will have time to train defending a throw/takedown. You don't think he's strong enough to defend that if some of those amateur esque women can stuff some of her takedowns?

Sadly this will never happen.

Phteven

Reaction score
massari":3d3k1mqo said:
Phteven":3d3k1mqo said:
massari":3d3k1mqo said:

I wish this fight was realistically possible because I've never been so confident about an outcome of a sporting event and would make a killing betting people picking Rousey.

All it'd take IMO is a punch with 50/60% power to any part of Rousey's dome when she rushes him to get a throw/takedown and she will be KO'd. Male and female bone structures are totally different.

Floyd is a male pro athlete and will have time to train defending a throw/takedown. You don't think he's strong enough to defend that if some of those amateur esque women can stuff some of her takedowns?

You're right. It will never happen. Won't happen because it would be lose/lose for Mayweather. Nothing to gain and win or lose, it would tarnish his reputation. Wins and it's against a girl. Loses and it's like Billy Jean King vs Bobby Riggs. I think it would be fun to watch, and I'd be one to take your money. I agree that a punch could end it, but give Mayweather very little chance of landing a single punch. We've seen the striker vs grappler play out time and again and the script is always the same. Striker is confident he's going to knock the grappler out with one punch. Gets taken down and realizes he has no idea what to do. We've seen the elite boxer fight the MMA fighter. Toney vs Couture a few years back. Lots of hype. Lots of trash talk. Couture takes zero damage while landing a low single and submits Toney with a head/arm triangle in the first round.

What could possibly happen is a fight in the featherweight division of the UFC against one of the guys. Mayweather could make that happen, but won't. He loses any fight in MMA. There is not one guy in the top 20 of that division who has any trouble with Mayweather.

massari

Reaction score
Phteven":3av6iwji said:
massari":3av6iwji said:
Phteven":3av6iwji said:
massari":3av6iwji said:

We've seen the striker vs grappler play out time and again and the script is always the same. Striker is confident he's going to knock the grappler out with one punch. Gets taken down and realizes he has no idea what to do. We've seen the elite boxer fight the MMA fighter. Toney vs Couture a few years back. Lots of hype. Lots of trash talk. Couture takes zero damage while landing a low single and submits Toney with a head/arm triangle in the first round.

What could possibly happen is a fight in the featherweight division of the UFC against one of the guys. Mayweather could make that happen, but won't. He loses any fight in MMA. There is not one guy in the top 20 of that division who has any trouble with Mayweather.

But you've never seen a male striker of Floyds caliber vs a woman grappler before. Obviously everyone knew what was going to happen to Toney because he was fighting another man who was a former champ. There was the time Ray Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia though. Yeah, when it comes to pro male boxer vs pro male MMArtist, obviously the MMA guy would be the favorite most of the time.

Yeah I agree that Floyd wouldn't be able to hang with almost any guy in the UFC, even the 125ers. Punchers chance and that's all.

Phteven

Reaction score
massari":2dccwspf said:
But you've never seen a male striker of Floyds caliber vs a woman grappler before. Obviously everyone knew what was going to happen to Toney because he was fighting another man who was a former champ. There was the time Ray Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia though. Yeah, when it comes to pro male boxer vs pro male MMArtist, obviously the MMA guy would be the favorite most of the time.

Yeah I agree that Floyd wouldn't be able to hang with almost any guy in the UFC, even the 125ers. Punchers chance and that's all.
Sylvia's kind of a unique guy, though. On the one hand, he was the heavyweight champ for a time. But on the other, Tim Sylvia was never a technical fighter, and by 2009 wasn't even in fighting shape. He'd have fought for a steak dinner, I bet.

I see your point regarding the male boxer vs female grappler, though, and you're right. We'd have to see. I just don't think it's as disparate as you believe. In order for Mayweather's boxing to be viable in MMA, he'd really need to unlearn many things. The traditional boxer stance, with the lead leg, makes it an easy target for a single leg. Boxers are conditioned not to punch low, so a low single or double leg take down (such as what Couture used) is about as easy as it's going to ever be. I get that a punch would end the fight. But I don't give him as much of a chance of landing that punch as you do. Mayweather would have a huge strength advantage against a female like Rousey. That's the real question, for me. Would his strength advantage be enough? He's going to be able to King Kong his way out of some submissions, but I've seen technical grapplers submit much stronger bruisers many times.

But, all that said, it's never going to happen. As I said before, this will always be speculation because Mayweather just has nothing to gain, and everything to lose. And while I agree that Cyborg vs Rousey is only interesting fight left for Rousey, a catch weight is very unlikely. There was talk about a catch weight fight between Anderson Silva and GSP for a time when both fighters were at the top of their game, and it never happened. There was then talk about Silva moving up to fight Jon Jones in a catch weight. This made more sense, because Silva had many fights at Light Heavyweight. But that ultimately never happened either.

There's little to gain for either of them, at least, not until they're both long in the tooth and struggling to remain relevant, in maybe 8 or 10 years. So, they'll each talk big until that happens, and if Rousey's movie career takes off, Cyborg will be out of luck.

253hawk

Reaction score
Get someone with an actual fighting/grappling background instead of all these off-the-street BJJ wannabes that only got into MMA because of the UFC hype, and Rousey will actually have someone to worry about.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
253hawk":zg84dhgc said:
Get someone with an actual fighting/grappling background instead of all these off-the-street BJJ wannabes that only got into MMA because of the UFC hype, and Rousey will actually have someone to worry about.

Rousey has been doing judo since she was a young kid (I want to see 7 or 8 years old). She knows leverage and she'll be able to throw almost any gal at any time, even Cyborg. I would be very surprised if Cyborg had enough power to stop her, even at her 145 fighting weight. I also don't think Cyborg would be able to tag her enough times to keep her at bay.

As far as Mayweather, it's possible he'd be strong enough to withstand a throw, I doubt it. He would possibly be fast enough and strong enough to keep her at bay with strikes, that one I think would be close, I'd still put money on Rousey.

As far as not watching female fight, I think I would have been in that camp had it not been for Rousey - her technique is sick. I read one article that sums it up well, watching her fight you forget about gender because the judo and armbar technique is something to behold and transcends gender.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm of the belief Rousey would demolish Cyborg if she were clean. Rousey is getting downright frightening now.. as she has greatly improved her boxing skills. We already know how lethal she is in the grappling department.