Round 7, Pick 236 - John Ursua, WR, Hawai'i

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/1122256576721481728[/tweet]

[youtube]Q3dJ56foaE4[/youtube]

5'9", 178. Runs in the 4.5 range, quick 3-cone time at 6.77 which is a trait they liked a lot about Baldwin back in 2010. They'll likely be looking at him in the slot. Not on the radar of many draftniks, rarely mentioned as a draftable player, but balled out for Hawai'i last year.

Height 5' 9"

Weight 178 lbs

Arms 29 7/8”

Hands 9 1/4”

John Ursua Pro Day Results:

Vertical Jump - 37"

Broad Jump - 10'

225# bench - 17 Reps

40yd - 4.56

Shuttle - 4.08

L-Drill - 6.77

60y shuttle - 11.18

https://www.khon2.com/sports/local-spor ... 1861931224

James in PA

Reaction score
3 WR’s? Perhaps Doug is done.
:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Strengths:
John Ursua has great athletic ability and plays with a tremendous amount of balance in his routes, and after the catch. Along with his long speed and ability to separate down the field, you have a guy that can give defenses fits on all three levels of the field. His vision and ability to create plays with the ball in his hands makes him very hard to defend and bring down when in space. Ursua has extremely sticky hands and brings in just about anything that’s thrown his way. In 2018, Ursua had 89 receptions 1343 yards and 16 touchdowns.
Weaknesses:
Ursua is weighing in at 175-lbs and at 5’9 this places him squarely on the smaller side of the scale. Ursua is without a doubt undersized, and the tape shows that he can be knocked off balance quite a bit. Ursua can struggle to get off press-coverage and needs to improve his play strength at the top of his routes and in and out of his breaks.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Not as good of an athlete as Doug and is smaller (albeit stronger), but a 3rd WR and a trade to boot is telling about Doug. Would be cool if Doug shows up at camps for all the WRs, but this one in particular.

Rat

Reaction score
I really like this one. I guess he was on top of our UDFA list, something we've done really well with under Schneider and Carroll, and we wanted to secure him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":ryrj76bd said:
I really like this one. I guess he was on top of our UDFA list, something we've done really well with under Schneider and Carroll, and we wanted to secure him.

The Patriots may have been targeting him, glad we have that spy cam and microphone in their Draft room, after all Amendola is gone.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Being a long time Seahawks fan. And this my opinion watching John Ursua for the last 3 years. He really reminds me of the Steve Largent mold. Physically, not really tall albit John is quicker with a nice top end burst but durable. His strength is that he has really good hands and runs routes on a dime but most importantly I feel his WR I.Q is what will make him shine. I won't be surprised in year 2 or 3
He might make an impact. I'm not saying he is the next Steve Largent,it just he reminds me of him in certain attributes . [emoji1688]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Largent80

Reaction score
HawaiiD":1k9a2vn3 said:
Being a long time Seahawks fan. And this my opinion watching John Ursua for the last 3 years. He really reminds me of the Steve Largent mold. Physically, not really tall albit John is quicker with a nice top end burst but durable. His strength is that he has really good hands and runs routes on a dime but most importantly I feel his WR I.Q is what will make him shine. I won't be surprised in year 2 or 3
He might make an impact. I'm not saying he is the next Steve Largent,it just he reminds me of him in certain attributes . [emoji1688]

Thank you for that from someone that hasn't seen him play.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1d3uymex said:
HawaiiD":1d3uymex said:

Thank you for that from someone that hasn't seen him play.
A cool comp..
I'm sure Steve will be happy to help him like he did with Doug..
Anything close to Largent would be great.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
There’s a nice story on Ursua on .com.

Said, he was getting a lot of calls from teams offering UFA contracts. He was surprised the Hawks jumped back in the draft to pick him.

He was one of the 30 who visited the VMAC so the Hawks were interested. No question the team moved up to secure him instead of taking their chance of losing him to another team.

There’s a couple of YouTube videos and he looks like your typical Patriots slot receiver. Quick, hyper active, runs good routes, and caught some deep balls. So as someone already mentioned, you have to think the Pats were one of the interested teams.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
What did the Hawks give up to jump back in the the 7th round to pick him?

AgentDib

Reaction score
ADB was my adopt-a-rookie in 2011 and this guy is my pick for 2019. I think he has a really good chance to stick on the roster with contributions as a slot receiver and perhaps compete as a punt returner.

[youtube]o_jGhmiPWPg[/youtube]

Largent80

Reaction score
Considering they traded back int the round to get this guy rather than waiting for UDFA speaks volumes.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Largent80":1iikpk4p said:
Considering they traded back int the round to get this guy rather than waiting for UDFA speaks volumes.

Buzz is that he was a priority UDFA for, not just the 'Hawks, but 6-7 other teams as well (according to him). Sounds like JS/PC decided that if they wanted him, they had to jump to do it. Suggests that they had at least a 6th round grade on him, maybe a 5th, if they gave up 2020 6th to snipe him.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2mtafv6o said:
Largent80":2mtafv6o said:

Buzz is that he was a priority UDFA for, not just the 'Hawks, but 6-7 other teams as well (according to him). Sounds like JS/PC decided that if they wanted him, they had to jump to do it. Suggests that they had at least a 6th round grade on him, maybe a 5th, if they gave up 2020 6th to snipe him.
lots luv from Pete and John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk