Rumor: Hawks going after Packer CB Tramon Williams

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can wel all agree that Tramon Williams is better than Carry Williams?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":iynbqycf said:

I mean its not hard to be better than Cary Williams, people go at Simon for getting burned but Cary Williams is practically charred up at this point. Dude really really sucks.

seacat1

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3nhnpkgs said:
Hawkfan77":3nhnpkgs said:
jblaze":3nhnpkgs said:
Hawkfan77":3nhnpkgs said:
I don't think it has anything to do with Simon, we need bodies and capable players. Simon played well before he got hurt. Can never have too many CBs

I don't know. You don't go out and give 5m/yr to a 32 year old veteran if you think your 23 yr old third year cheap CB is capable. You don't give 5m to a depth player, he would certainly start.
Just because he's asking for 5 mil doesn't mean the Hawks are giving him 5 mil...

But they did sign Winfield to a 3 mil deal and cut him because he got beat out. They want competition.

Simon gets beat on the regular, he was fully healthy when he was letting the Patriots roast him, Carolina etc.

I believe Simon dislocated his shoulder in the second to last regular season game. Anyone who has dislocated there shoulder can tell you he was not healthy. It is also amazing Thomas could play at after he dislocated his.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Throwdown":13bmsznz said:
Hawk-Lock":13bmsznz said:

I mean its not hard to be better than Cary Williams, people go at Simon for getting burned but Cary Williams is practically charred up at this point. Dude really really sucks.

Yeah, seemed like every time i watched the eagles, opposing offenses were attacking Carry Williams.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tramon Williams is solid. I would grade him slightly better than Maxwell this past year. Not much better... Maxwell obviously has the higher upside but still Williams was probably the more consistent player of the two.

Jeremy Lane is probably doubtful for a healthy return.

Simon is going to be shelved for a spell, putting his opportunity of growth on the back-burner.

I would love for Shead to get first opportunity, the guy put up an extremely athletic Pro-Day at 6'1, 220. I would love to see his athleticism top out at 200-205. With safety experience, he could play an inside or out role. But hes an RFA, and might not get tagged. He would be a better fit as a CB project (see: experience) than Pinkins at this point.

You slot Pinkins at SS, Terell at FS, have Dion Bailey compete with both positions. Draft a few late round picks to push the competition and you start rounding out servicable safety depth.

You get a guy like Tramon Williams, to compete with Simon on the outside opposite Sherman. See what Burley can do in his 2nd year of coaching. and have compete with Shead on the inside. You got 5 guys, who probably can get the job done especially if the Seahawks spend money or picks beefing up the interior Pass-Rush.

Add a CB, a couple DTs in free agency, Seahawks can focus on grabbing from the strength of the drsft which at this point seems to be pass-rushers which will certainly bypass the Seahawks for the most part but theyll be in the mix for plenty of solid WRs and interior O-Linemen. Which are big needs.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":347tjkb5 said:
Attyla the Hawk":347tjkb5 said:
Well, he turned down 2y/8m with GB. It's pretty safe to assume it'll take 5m.

The bigger issue for me, outside of age and cost, is that signing him will negate any comp pick awarded for Maxwell. So it's like signing an old CB to a mid level contract and trading a 3rd rounder for him (assuming Maxwell gets what he's expected to). It's unlikely that we lose another qualifying UFA for comp pick consideration. So even though he'd be less valuable, the net loss would be zero. Thus no comp pick.
Possibly not. The Patriots signed Brandon Browner to a 3 years 16.8 million deal and also Brandon LaFell to a 3 year 9 million deal but are still projected to gain a 3rd round compensatory pick from the loss of Aqib Talib.

It's about qualifying net gain/loss.

NE lost: Talib (9.5m), Legarrette Blount (1.9m), Brandon Spikes (3m) and Dane Fletcher (1.2m)

NE gained: Brandon Browner (5m), Brandon Lafell (3m)

NE had a net loss of 2 qualifying free agents. The way it works is two fold:

One, you have to have a net loss of UFAs.

Two, your gained UFAs cancel equal or lesser losses. In this case, Browner (5th round qualifier) and Lafell (6th round qualifier) cancel out losses of Spikes (5th round qualifier) and Blount (higher of the 7th round qualifier). Leaving Talib (3rd round qualifier) and Fletcher (7th round).

If they had signed another 5th round qualifier, that would have canceled the Fletcher comp pick.

That's why signing Tramon even at a 5th round qualifier would cancel Maxwell. Because we are unlikely to lose another qualifying UFA this year. Meaning we would fail to meet the first requirement (net loss of UFAs). Even if Maxwell is a 3rd round qualifier and we sign even a single 2m 7th round qualifying UFA -- we get nothing.

Now, if we lose Carpenter to a 3m+ deal -- that's a late 6th qualifier. Also, there is the outside chance that Jeron Johnson, T Jack and Schofield are signed for 7th round qualifier contracts.

Ultimately, if we sign a player like Tramon -- I would say that's a strong indicator that we are not interested in resigning Carpenter and are expecting to lose at least two qualifying UFAs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Going after a vet is a solid move, and if Williams doesn't cost too much I'd like to see it.

I'm not reading anything into Simon at all, last year was basically his rookie year, so he's already ahead of Maxwell's development.

The problem with Simon is that he can't seem to stay on the field. So we had better have solid depth if we're expecting extended playing time from Simon.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
no chance we would offer more then 2years 4 million. I would rather see us resign Browner once he gets released

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2rpknwh4 said:
Hawkfan77":2rpknwh4 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2rpknwh4 said:
Well, he turned down 2y/8m with GB. It's pretty safe to assume it'll take 5m.

The bigger issue for me, outside of age and cost, is that signing him will negate any comp pick awarded for Maxwell. So it's like signing an old CB to a mid level contract and trading a 3rd rounder for him (assuming Maxwell gets what he's expected to). It's unlikely that we lose another qualifying UFA for comp pick consideration. So even though he'd be less valuable, the net loss would be zero. Thus no comp pick.
Possibly not. The Patriots signed Brandon Browner to a 3 years 16.8 million deal and also Brandon LaFell to a 3 year 9 million deal but are still projected to gain a 3rd round compensatory pick from the loss of Aqib Talib.

It's about qualifying net gain/loss.

NE lost: Talib (9.5m), Legarrette Blount (1.9m), Brandon Spikes (3m) and Dane Fletcher (1.2m)

NE gained: Brandon Browner (5m), Brandon Lafell (3m)

NE had a net loss of 2 qualifying free agents. The way it works is two fold:

One, you have to have a net loss of UFAs.

Two, your gained UFAs cancel equal or lesser losses. In this case, Browner (5th round qualifier) and Lafell (6th round qualifier) cancel out losses of Spikes (5th round qualifier) and Blount (higher of the 7th round qualifier). Leaving Talib (3rd round qualifier) and Fletcher (7th round).

If they had signed another 5th round qualifier, that would have canceled the Fletcher comp pick.

That's why signing Tramon even at a 5th round qualifier would cancel Maxwell. Because we are unlikely to lose another qualifying UFA this year. Meaning we would fail to meet the first requirement (net loss of UFAs). Even if Maxwell is a 3rd round qualifier and we sign even a single 2m 7th round qualifying UFA -- we get nothing.

Now, if we lose Carpenter to a 3m+ deal -- that's a late 6th qualifier. Also, there is the outside chance that Jeron Johnson, T Jack and Schofield are signed for 7th round qualifier contracts.

Ultimately, if we sign a player like Tramon -- I would say that's a strong indicator that we are not interested in resigning Carpenter and are expecting to lose at least two qualifying UFAs.

Carpenter might see a Giacomini type deal. Hes one of the best guards on the open market. Could see him sign for 4-5m. Which is why getting him at 2-3 m would be alright.

Seahawks have Tarvaris Jackson...quality backups are getting 3-4 m these days. Which is why his 1.25m contract last season was a bargain and the Seahawks would do well if they signed him to that amount again.

And you mentioned Jeron Johnson, OBS, but not Malcom Smith whom all can sign for decent starter money especially in OAK or ATL in the 3-5 apy range.

Also, I think apy has no bearing on comp picks but the cap hit of the first year that figures into process.

You could sign Tramon Williams to a 4 yr, 20 m deal. Give him a 3.2 m sb.

Give him a guaranteed base salary of 2.8m. He makes 6.0 m in 2015 but counts 3.6m against the cap which puts him in 6th round comp.

But maybe its apy and not 1st year cap hit.

But all this is moot if the Seahawks reel in a Suh or a JThomas.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":dhydpnmb said:
But all this is moot if the Seahawks reel in a Suh or a JThomas.

Absolutely. If we're in on either of those, then we're not concerned with comp picks in 2016 in the least. At least with either of those two guys, we're getting a high caliber player who is more than worth losing all hopes of comp picks.

Tramon isn't that kind of player. In quality or in age. But he'd be serviceable as a bridge player while we heal from injury and possibly stay on all season.

I also wasn't suggesting we let T Jack/Jeron Johnson go. Or fail to resign Carp at 3m. Those would be good players to retain. I was simply stating they are the only likely candidates to get signed off our roster that would return a potential comp qualifier (to cancel out signing Tramon).

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Cary Williams gave up 3 TDs to Dez Bryant in a single game 3 months ago on Sunday Night football.
We can win a few games with this guy. I doubt we can win a SB with him. Guys like Rodgers, Romo, Brady might shred him to pieces. I don't see him being better than Simon at this stage of his career.
Maybe our coaches can fix him up. Maybe he is the best option we can afford on the market. Don't know. But the thought of having him in a big game is scary.

Basis4day

Reaction score
joeseahawks":231olos0 said:
Cary Williams gave up 3 TDs to Dez Bryant in a single game 3 months ago on Sunday Night football.
We can win a few games with this guy. I doubt we can win a SB with him. Guys like Rodgers, Romo, Brady might shred him to pieces. I don't see him being better than Simon at this stage of his career.
Maybe our coaches can fix him up. Maybe he is the best option we can afford on the market. Don't know. But the thought of having him in a big game is scary.

Always consider scheme when evaluating a players' performance.

Hyak

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2nst02gh said:

It was the other Philly CB who gave up the TD's. BTW, Williams was the starting CB on the 2012 Ravens team that won the SB. But don't let facts get in the way....

From the game recap - http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554425

Bryant finished with six receptions for 114 yards. He beat cornerback Bradley Fletcher on each of the TDs.

"I just had a terrible game," Fletcher said.

Latest posts