(Rumor) Hawks interested in trading for Sheldon Richardson

Polk738

Reaction score
Don't necessarily need sacks from the guy, just pressure-we need the pressure in the middle

chris98251

Reaction score
You want someone that demands a double team and eats up blockers so Bennett, Avril and the LB's can crash and blitz with numbers in our favor. That leads to turnovers and short fields, if they can play us straight up we rely on our coverage more. That is one of our strengths for sure, but I get the feeling we have reloaded in the secondary and were going to push this year. When we start putting these guys in positions to play were going to need a line pushing and harassing QB's while they learn how to become the next generation secondary.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not having enough QB pressure has cost us 2 SB's. PC&JS didn't forget that. If Malik is really seriously injured we are thin at DT and DE, he allowed us to utilize Bennet at DT more often. Richardson "IS" the missing piece. They will find cap room. It is taking so long because they are talking contact. Might be an extension in the works. He wants 40mil+ for sure.

I say win now. Allow us an out in 2 years just in case, but pay this man. Rush Dt's are a rare bread and it is still a hole. Why do you think we drafted Reed, Jefferson, McDowell, and Naz. Remember the DT's in 12,13,14.

#1 D in the league when we control the line and Rush the QB.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2_0_6

Reaction score
Jets need CB's and they are uber thin at WR with two starters out. One for the season in Enunwa and Whitehead most recently.

As the article says, send Lane and his $5.2mil and a 4th. Eat $3mil for one year and get the comp pick back when he signs somewhere else next year. Lets be honest, Lane would be most likely cut next off season anyways when the cap hit is minimal, and paying $3mil extra for a new contract motivated Richardson is well worth it.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Hawkfish":p389zpgu said:
Dude was 2013 defensive rookie of the year. He has talent. We have not had consistent pressure up the middle since we won the Bowl. With a bunch of one year contracts as well as an aging core, this team has to be feeling a sense of urgency. I still say go for it.

100% agree.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Maybe he's in Seattle now (or soon) undergoing a physical. If so, let's see what that says. And while they're at it, they should administer shock therapy so he snaps out of it and realizes it's more valuable to be on a legitimate SB contender for less $ than to play for a not-going-anywhere team for big bucks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":21m7kwmv said:
Whoa whoa whoa guys, slow your roll. The Jets are doing everything they can to get rid of him. He is a massive cancer in the locker room. Just a couple of days ago JC said that anybody even thinking of trading for him should just wait it out as the Jets may decide to part ways with him and flat out release him, and in NO WAY is he worth taking on a $8.1 million dollar salary for this year. He was very good in his first two years in the league and fallen off super quickly the last two years (only 1.5 sacks last year after 8.0 in 2014).

Hard Pass.

It's worth noting that Sheldon was moved to NT last year with Leonard Williams' arrival. And even played some LB with regularity (and did so against Seattle in fact). It's pretty obvious to me that Richardson was played out of position. Part of that a result of personnel (Wilkerson and Williams). The Jets were required by circumstance to commit to either Wilkerson, who was a pending UFA and Richardson who was coming off of a year where he invited character concerns. They committed to Wilkerson. Leaving light writing on the wall for Richardson. Then within months, drafted Leonard Williams. Which etched that writing in stone permanently. Richardson is/was an incredibly productive 3 tech. But NY basically tripled down on the position -- enslaving their draft philosophy to a simple BPA be damned model.

NYJ are a terrible franchise. The entire organization is a cancerous mass. From the very top down. Has been for years. This possibility intrigues me, because Richardson is a talent. A grossly miscast talent. On a team where backstabbing and infighting is ripe. He strikes me as an almost ideal candidate for a rebound season to a team with a great locker room and a team needing to fill a role that he is extremely proficient at.

In this particular case, Need, talent and price all seem to intersect neatly.

chris98251

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1bomfz3y said:
Whoa whoa whoa guys, slow your roll. The Jets are doing everything they can to get rid of him. He is a massive cancer in the locker room. Just a couple of days ago JC said that anybody even thinking of trading for him should just wait it out as the Jets may decide to part ways with him and flat out release him, and in NO WAY is he worth taking on a $8.1 million dollar salary for this year. He was very good in his first two years in the league and fallen off super quickly the last two years (only 1.5 sacks last year after 8.0 in 2014).

Hard Pass.

You could look at us from the outside and say Bennett, Kam, Sherman, Lynch were all team cancers also, in fact how many writers do that.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Cyrus12":13wzjfid said:
Jets need a wr badly...kearse is their guy. Extension for Kearse??? He'll No!

Outside of Kearse, do you think they would be interested on some of our fringe guys like K. William, Moore, or McIlvoy. From a salary perspective, Kearse would be best from us.

chris98251

Reaction score
Paul Richardson and Kearse, Lockett and Richardson are a lot a like, Kearse could be replaced with McIlvoy or if Darboh or even Moore, we have Grayson and McKissic that can pick up the speed that we lose in Richardson, nothing against Richardson but his health is becoming a issue and while he can play still this season it may be a good time to evaluate that. Especially of you can get a D lineman like this guy.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I heard 4th round this morning driving in. NO BRAINER!

Make the money work.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Yeah, get this done. I think our locker room culture works wonders on this guy.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":hw786afn said:
Does the Britt extension free up any cap space or the opposite?

Assuredly will do the opposite.

If early unconfirmed speculation is accurate, he will receive 5m in signing bonus. That in and of itself would eat into the existing cap. His total cap valuation, if he makes the team week 1, is 1.099M. So even if he's making the minimum base salary, he'll more than double the current cap hit.

Josea16

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2v4fdaq6 said:
I thought signing bonuses don't count against the overall cap?
They count but they can be spread out over the length of the extension.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Also, I believe trades do something weird. I think the signing bonus stays with the team that gave it. They don't go with the player in terms of a cap hit. I'm sure there's somebody here more knowledgeable than me who can talk to that though.