(Rumor) Hawks interested in trading for Sheldon Richardson

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":37b7xwvb said:
Also, I believe trades do something weird. I think the signing bonus stays with the team that gave it. They don't go with the player in terms of a cap hit. I'm sure there's somebody here more knowledgeable than me who can talk to that though.

This is true. Monies paid stay with the team who paid those monies, so the team trading a player may have dead cap money from that. It just depends on where they are in terms of their contract and how they structured the bonus. The new team takes the cap hit for the current contract that is left to be paid. of course the new team can work on a new contract with the player and void the old contract which means they could pay that new player the same amount in year 1 but make much of that a signing bonus and spread it out over the length of the new contract, thus giving the player the same amount of money yet lowering his cap hit to the new team.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think it's doable.

2018 3rd Round Pick, 2019 5th round pick for Sheldon Richardson.

Jets get future picks and a salary dump as they rebuild thier team.

Then trade Kearse, Luke Willson, Lane, and Quinton Jefferson (2017 cap savings of about $7.7m ) to TB for 2018 4th Round Pick and 2019 6th round pick.

Seahawks are charged with a bunch of dead cap for 2018 (about $4m ) but not totally cap hindering. Seahawks relieve some of thier logjams at certain spots and allow some intriguing players a more legitimate chance to compete for a roster spot.

Williams, Lawler, Moore, Grayson, and McEvoy at WR for 1 or 2 spots if Baldwin, Lockett, Darboh, and perhaps Richardson are locks.

Swoopes, Lucas, and perhaps McEvoy at TE. Really like Swoopes, the poise he has shown thus far, and he perhaps can serve as the emergency QB. Vannett has the ability to seal an edge. Like him as #2 than Willson even though Luke is a great character.

With Brock on board, I'm less worried about NCB without Lane.

TB could use some depth at WR, TE, especially CB and Jefferson is more a flyer on a young, developmental pass-rush DT (which they also lack) that would solidify their team as a contender and they have the space to take on those contracts only sacrificing a pair of draft picks but gaining loads of Championship experience in the process.

Seahawks add Sheldon Richardson but only lose draft position although Richardson is a guarantee to net back a 3rd Round comp in 2019. So that lost draft position eventually evens out.

D-Line could run with an 8-man team of:

Bennett, Avril, Clark, and Marsh at DE.

Richardson, Rubin, Reed, and Jones at DT.

With the talent to be the best D-Line in the NFL hands down.

massari

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":203ixgow said:
I think it's doable.

Then trade Kearse, Luke Willson, Lane, and Quinton Jefferson (2017 cap savings of about $7.7m ) to TB for 2018 4th Round Pick and 2019 6th round pick.
Would ratther keep Willson and Jefferson and just trade Lane to free up the $4M since they have Brock now. Not sure if Kearse has any trade value, so just cut him and Wilhoite to open up another $3.2M. Hopefully $7.2M would be enough to fit Richardson.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
LOL at this thread. Why in the world would the Jets want Kearse, Double L, Jefferson, Kasen Williams etc.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
gowazzu02":155m9kta said:
LOL at this thread. Why in the world would the Jets want Kearse, Double L, Jefferson, Kasen Williams etc.

It's always the same with these kind of trade thread. People think that the other will just magically want the expendable players in our system

gowazzu02

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2qrrjzyn said:
gowazzu02":2qrrjzyn said:

It's always the same with these kind of trade thread. People think that the other will just magically want the expendable players in our system

Yeah its really runny. Theres like 7 threads about just cutting Kearse but hey lets trade him for a pro bowl DT. I guess the Jets are a pretty poorly run franchise so who knows maybe JS/PC do have the "trade override button" from the video games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":17qg9grg said:
I think it's doable.

Seahawks are charged with a bunch of dead cap for 2018 (about $4m ) but not totally cap hindering. Seahawks relieve some of thier logjams at certain spots and allow some intriguing players a more legitimate chance to compete for a roster spot.

Williams, Lawler, Moore, Grayson, and McEvoy at WR for 1 or 2 spots if Baldwin, Lockett, Darboh, and perhaps Richardson are locks.

Swoopes, Lucas, and perhaps McEvoy at TE. Really like Swoopes, the poise he has shown thus far, and he perhaps can serve as the emergency QB. Vannett has the ability to seal an edge. Like him as #2 than Willson even though Luke is a great character.

TB could use some depth at WR, TE, especially CB and Jefferson is more a flyer on a young, developmental pass-rush DT (which they also lack) that would solidify their team as a contender and they have the space to take on those contracts only sacrificing a pair of draft picks but gaining loads of Championship experience in the process.

Seahawks add Sheldon Richardson but only lose draft position although Richardson is a guarantee to net back a 3rd Round comp in 2019. So that lost draft position eventually evens out.

I just read that after the Britt signing we have about 4M of cap space.

Richarson's hit this year is 8M, so how's that gonna work?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nf6wdi1 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3nf6wdi1 said:
I think it's doable.

That is the rub... how to make it fit under the cap plus we need a little buffer too.

I think it starts with shipping off Lanes salary whatever that is he was mentioned in the article. Then possibly a high profile cut? Kearse? Not sure how much that would save.

2_0_6

Reaction score
gowazzu02":28zhf5gm said:
Sgt. Largent":28zhf5gm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":28zhf5gm said:
I think it's doable.

That is the rub... how to make it fit under the cap plus we need a little buffer too.

I think it starts with shipping off Lanes salary whatever that is he was mentioned in the article. Then possibly a high profile cut? Kearse? Not sure how much that would save.

Cutting Kearse wont free up much.
2p5l00V

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2jekd7gq said:

Not much, bout 2M.

As I said in another thread, this trade makes no sense for the Jets. They're obviously full on we want the #1 pick in the draft tank mode, so why would they trade an 8M cap hit, and then absorb it right back in 2-3 mediocre players?

If they trade Richardson, it'll be for a young stud that's still cheap, or for picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Depends on how desperate the Jets are. I could see a WR/DB trade with them. Maybe not Kearse but if Kasen Williams has a big game tonight, he may be in the equation or even Paul Richardson. Also, the Seahawks are stocked deeply at DB. There are guys like Desir, Elliott, McCrary, or Lane who may be trade pieces there. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2a7t5yi3 said:
Depends on how desperate the Jets are. I could see a WR/DB trade with them. Maybe not Kearse but if Kasen Williams has a big game tonight, he may be in the equation or even Paul Richardson. Also, the Seahawks are stocked deeply at DB. There are guys like Desir, Elliott, McCrary, or Lane who may be trade pieces there. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'd be very nervous about giving up any of our WR and DB depth, not with all the injuries............especially for an 8M player that had a terrible year last year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3eixm773 said:
hawkfan68":3eixm773 said:

I'd be very nervous about giving up any of our WR and DB depth, not with all the injuries............especially for an 8M player that had a terrible year last year.

I understand where you are coming from but Richardson's terrible last year is still better than Rubin. Rubin is the current starting 3T and he's awful at that role. Richardson would be an upgrade over Rubin.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39vqqgss said:
Pandion Haliaetus":39vqqgss said:
I think it's doable.

You must have missed the whole thread. You know, the one in which everyone is talking about trading or releasing players to create the cap room. Kinda like the one you quoted, for example.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Unless Richardson could be kept for a second season w/o breaking the bank I can't see a trade happening as it would be very expensive.

chris98251

Reaction score
So you want Richardson or Albert, both are going to cost about the same.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":14syjcab said:
So you want Richardson or Albert, both are going to cost about the same.
Given that choice I'd go with Albert.