Rumor Mill: Hawks could be in on a DeSean Jackson trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliv

Reaction score
[youtube][/youtube]
HansGruber":1edml5le said:
BlueTalon":1edml5le said:
If it was possible to retroactively spend money to get stat production, then you'd have a really strong point.

That was exactly the point of the "hypothetical" question.

If the Seahawks could go back one year, and pick between DeSean Jackson and Percy Harvin for the same money and picks, who would they pick?

Surely, you're not telling me they would pick Percy Harvin?

[youtube]KM2K7sV-K74[/youtube]

thebanjodude

Reaction score
HansGruber":1mskjpik said:
You will never hear the Seahawks talk bad about Harvin because that is not their style. But I guarantee if they could make the choice over, they would have picked DeSean Jackson and fans here would be laughing at the 49ers, who were going after Harvin.

How strongly do you guarantee this? Would you put it at a "Ballmer's about to blow up the league and litigate the Sonics back" guarantee?

Calhawk

Reaction score
I like Harvin, and if you could guarantee me he'd be healthy for an entire year maybe I'd take him over Desean, but based on past experience that seems like an unlikely scenario. The bottom line is that these are two of the most explosive players in the NFL, and having both on the same field at the same time would be scary. Marshawn would run for 1600 yards if defenses had to account for those two guys on every play.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
HansGruber":210mhhul said:
But I get it. We're Seahawks fans. We have to pretend that Percy Harvin is this amazing Super-God game-changing freak. Because how else do you justify him skipping an entire season after having an elective surgery that team doctors said was unnecessary? Stings even worse when you consider how many players we'll lose to accommodate his cap space.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Laloosh

Reaction score
thebanjodude":3d0lfkmb said:
HansGruber":3d0lfkmb said:
You will never hear the Seahawks talk bad about Harvin because that is not their style. But I guarantee if they could make the choice over, they would have picked DeSean Jackson and fans here would be laughing at the 49ers, who were going after Harvin.

How strongly do you guarantee this? Would you put it at a "Ballmer's about to blow up the league and litigate the Sonics back" guarantee?

Oh, that's gotta sting a bit.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
@hans: whether you think the front office would have chosen Jackson over harvin is pretty irrelevant and pure speculation on your part. The fact is it didn't happen that way in reality. Your stats and everything else do not matter. Harvin is a great player, and now we have a chance to nab another great player (and notorious me first guy) to put alongside him.

The team would be best with both players on the field. If we can make that happen after he is released, that would be cool.

I imagine someone will pay him more than we are willing to on the open market though. Someone can keep him at that 10-11m/yr number, which we are unlikely to do.

-seanhawk-

Reaction score
IF there is any truth to these rumors, they are only interested in increasing Desean's value in free agency. Either his agent is releasing this to get his client buzz, or the hawks are making it more difficult for teams like the niners to trade for him. No way he actually ends up here.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
-seanhawk-":22n92lw3 said:
IF there is any truth to these rumors, they are only interested in increasing Desean's value in free agency. Either his agent is releasing this to get his client buzz, or the hawks are making it more difficult for teams like the niners to trade for him. No way he actually ends up here.

From recent news, it sounds like a trade is unlikely altogether. Probably ends up released, in which case, there will be a ton of interest all over.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
HansGruber":kx57z4xn said:
And what happened? He chose to have a surgery that was unnecessary rather than play.
This is pure assumption on your part. By all accounts, Percy lives to play the games -- the knock on him by some in MN was that he allegedly didn't like to practice. According to his Seahawk teammates, he was climbing the walls in anticipation of playing, and it killed him not to.

Perhaps you have never had a situation where you know something is wrong with you, and the doctor who is checking you out doesn't believe it because he can't find anything. I have. It's not fun. In Percy's case, you seem to think you know his surgery was unnecessary, when you really don't have a clue. I don't have one either, but I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt -- and based on the feedback from other Seahawks, I am convinced the surgery helped. Granted, on the surface it didn't do much for 2013 stats, but fortunately for us it wasn't a one year contract. And now we get an improved, hip-injury-free Percy Harvin going into next season.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Would love to have him here on a super reduced contract after if he's released, but it's not goona happen. The one thing I like about Jackson is that he is a consistent deep threat and able to separate pretty well, where as Harvin gets a lot of short routes and goes beast. Don't know if Harvin can do it or not, but MIN & SEA so far hasn't really consistently gave him deep shots, so who knows.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand the knock on Harvin.

1. Losing games to Migraines doesn't constitute as an injury. I believe he had a gluten intolerency, people should look that up because a simple but dedicated change in diet can change the way you feel about life. My wife knows.

2. He suffered an ankle injury against the Seahawks. And we all saw how scrappy he was that day. Limping around but continuing to play. His injury was like a 3-4 week shelf life but because of his rocky relationship with the team they just chose to shut him down for an entire season.

3. Harvin made $4.9 mil in 2013 (against the cap)... Its not like his absence really affected the Seahawks finances because it didn't. Sure it also cost a 1st and 3rd round pick but sometimes if you want to win big you have to gamble with house money.

But back on topic, hip surgery doesn't constitute as being injury prone...it was just a pre -existing injury that needed to be taken care of to keep him 100% going forward.

4. Minnesota game he probably came back to early from rehab.

5. Getting concussed also doesn't constitute as being injury prone. And if you watched that game, I'm not going to say the Saints was being dirty but they were definitely head hunting our WRs that day. Any WR who took the shot Harvin did would had to been shutdown.

So, arguably other than college and his lone ankle injury he suffered against the most physical defense in the NFL Percy Harvin has been relatively healthy if you agree with me that his migraines and hip surgery can be placed on non-football injuries.

Seahawks got one hell of a player. And I'm also thinking his large contract is performance based in practice and on the field, so if he wants to make his money, he's going to have to earn.

Sure it says he makes 13.9 m this year but what if having limited targets allows him to only make 9-10 of that. His contract doesn't look so bad then... and I doubt any team dishes out contracts like that without protective themselves with performance based escalators that encourages their investment to perform.

So in a way if Percy Harvin does make 13.9 mil afterr next season, I would sy he had an awesome season.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":qeg3hqab said:
Wartooth":qeg3hqab said:
I'm sure glad all these 'fantasy' football GM's aren't our real GM.
Hell Yes..I agree

What about Madden GMs? Surely they know how to manage the cap.

I'm all for having Jackson on the squad, but I don't see paying 10M for a deep threat WR, when the draft is as deep as ever at WR. At this point he seems more valuable as a proven return man, but whose to say that a kid that's drafted couldn't fill this same role for a tenth of the price (hell, MN's Patterson did nothing but return kicks).

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Jason La CanforaVerified account
‏@JasonLaCanfora
SEA and SF among the teams who talked trade w/Philly on DeSean Jackson. His $ and cap # a real issue. Some GMs think he gets released in end

HawkStar22

Reaction score
I understand why the Hawks like DJack..

Great punt returner / kick returner
Great YAC ability
Great Speed
Proven/experienced player
Young still in prime
Multiple time Pro Bowler

In addition,

From the west coast
Related to sherm
Knows Pete

He probably would love to play for the Hawks.

IMO him and Harvin on the field would be a deadly combo with all the speed and YAC ability not only at WR but in the return game and on those fly sweeps.

If the dude is reasonable with his contract I think the Hawks should be all over him. Our Offense would be ridiculous.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":yab71kzh said:
IndyHawk":yab71kzh said:
Wartooth":yab71kzh said:
Hell Yes..I agree

I'm all for having Jackson on the squad, but I don't see paying 10M for a deep threat WR, when the draft is as deep as ever at WR. At this point he seems more valuable as a proven return man, but whose to say that a kid that's drafted couldn't fill this same role for a tenth of the price (hell, MN's Patterson did nothing but return kicks).

Your avatar man, I puked

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Hawks, 49ers interested but trade difficult

The Seahawks and 49ers are among the teams showing interest in Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, according to league sources.

The Eagles have stepped up efforts to trade Jackson, according to multiple sources, shopping him to several teams. After re-signing Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, and with Jackson's contract steep and this draft loaded with receivers, the Eagles are exploring all options to move on without him.

Jackson is coming off a career year in Chip Kelly's offense but can be high maintenance and has chirped about his contract. Plus, Kelly's system could continue to help boost the production of other receivers.

With Jackson set to make $10.5 million and faced with a cap hit of over $12 million, trading Jackson could prove difficult. Jackson is not looking to re-do his contract to facilitate a trade to this point, with the chance to hit the open market and negotiate with any team perhaps advantageous. Several general managers said they have interest in Jackson but not at his current price tag, given some of his baggage, and they expect that ultimately the Eagles will release him.

The Seahawks and 49ers are among teams to have talked to the Eagles, sources said, but they lack the cap space to absorb Jackson's salary and trading for him would be cumbersome. Given that contract it's unlikely the Eagles get more than a mid-round pick for him, if they are able to deal Jackson.

Jackson's deal essentially is a series of one-year contracts, with his guaranteed money already paid out. In the last 13 months however, salaries for receivers have stabilized and that also limits the market of teams willing to pay Jackson a salary in excess of $10 million.

Attempts to deal him are expected to intensify at the league meetings in Orlando, which take place next week.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Philly willing to release him:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... an-jackson

By now it’s well known that the Eagles are trying to deal DeSean Jackson.

It also appears that they’re willing to cut ties with the Pro Bowl wideout without receiving anything in return, a staggering indication of Jackson’s reputation inside the NovaCare Complex.

The team is considering releasing Jackson if it can’t find a trade partner, according to several reports. Citing a source, the New York Daily News reported that the Eagles aren’t planning on having Jackson back in 2014, even if no team is willing to deal for the seven-year wideout.

“Philly is trading him or cutting him,” the source told the Daily News. “That's a fact. They don't want him."

This report is consistent with what sources recently told CSNPhilly.com, that the enigmatic wide receiver had ruffled too many feathers for new coach Chip Kelly, who is intolerant of those who don’t buy into his philsophy, and doesn’t fit the team’s long-term vision (see story).

Another report, by CBS Sports, said the Seahawks were among the teams who have inquired about Jackson, but the receiver’s cap number and contract make him almost impossible to move. The report also echoed the sentiment that league executives believe the Eagles won’t hesitate to release Jackson.

The Niners and Patriots are other teams who have called about Jackson, which CSNPhilly’s Derrick Gunn reported March 18.

Jackson is slated to make $10.25 million this year in base salary and is owed around $30 million through 2016. If the Eagles were to cut Jackson, they’d be on the books for $6 million in dead money stemming from the pro-rated signing bonus in his extension before the 2012 season.

Jackson is unwilling to restructure his deal, the Daily News also reports, which makes sense. By refusing to restructure, Jackson is more likely to be cut than traded. If he’s cut, Jackson and his agent, Joel Segal, have 31 teams to speak and negotiate with on their own terms.

The Eagles have remained silent on the issue since the CSNPhilly.com story that ran March 5, even as the speculation has caught the attention of the national media.

Gunn also reported that the Eagles were hoping to procure a third-round pick -- at least -- for Jackson, who is coming off the best season of his career. Jackson’s 1,332 yards were a career best and ranked second in franchise history for the most in a season. Jackson ranked ninth among NFL receivers in receiving yards to go along with his nine touchdowns and 16.2 yards-per-catch average.

The Eagles have been trying to unload Jackson since last offseason, Gunn also reported.

Jackson ticked off management when he lobbied for a new contract less than 48 hours after the team’s first-round playoff loss to the Saints. He’s had a reputation for being a diva since the Eagles picked him in the second round of the 2008 draft. Last year, despite the banner season, he created controversy by having a verbal altercation with receivers coach Bob Bicknell on the sidelines during a loss to the Vikings.

rpmischris

Reaction score
BlueBlood":zdtac2ft said:
SouthSoundHawk":zdtac2ft said:
IndyHawk":zdtac2ft said:
Wartooth":zdtac2ft said:
Hell Yes..I agree

Your avatar man, I puked

:13: :187734:

Status
Not open for further replies.