Rumor Mill: Hawks could be in on a DeSean Jackson trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansGruber

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ay1bl99 said:
HansGruber":3ay1bl99 said:
Yeah, not like Percy Harvin that was known for being a character guy in Minnesota. He never complained about his team publicly, or threw his QB under the bus. Never said anything about his coaches or refused to play.
:roll:
Find any Vikings players saying that. Lot of supposition has been said about Percy's "character issues", and precious little facts to back it up. In fact, why don't you go look up what Adrian Peterson said when he found out Percy was traded.

Yeah, except for the whole "multiple players and coaches witnessed it" thing. Harvin had trouble with both head coaches - Childress and Frasier. Over multiple years. Including throwing a weight at Childress and fighting with Frasier in the locker room in front of the entire team. OH, and that whole fighting with Urban Meyer and throwing his college WR coach to the ground by his neck.

http://fansided.com/2012/12/21/percy-ha ... er/#!ASYod
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... der-meyer/

The denial and homerism on this board is just... simply.... astounding.

Seriously.

You are the one who stated Jackson has worse character issues than Harvin. I now invite you to provide me with one example of DeSean Jackson assaulting a coach.

I'll wait...

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hans isn't wrong about DeSean's production/stats being superior (even on a per game basis). Stats are what they are. I don't think Pete and Jon went out and got Percy for his consistency. Pete values guys who can make explosive plays and Percy's a guy who can do that in more than one way.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was referring to Vikings players complaining about him, Hans. In other words, what teammates have had a problem with him? I'm not talking about failed head coaches.

HansGruber

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7sv0sdoa said:
I was referring to Vikings players complaining about him, Hans. In other words, what teammates have had a problem with him? I'm not talking about failed head coaches.

Stop trying to change the subject.

You said DeSean Jackson has character issues and implied he's worse than Percy Harvin. Harvin has had 4 documented fights with coaches - from college into the pro's.

Are you going to backup your argument now, or....???

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Actually, I never said one word about DeSean Jackson having any character issues whatsoever. Nor did I imply he's worse than Harvin. You are either completely making crap up, (wouldn't surprise me) or confusing me with someone else. Which is it? Seriously, quote me. You can see that not one of my replies in this thread have been edited, so I'll wait here patiently for you to find where I've said anything about DeSean's character in any way.

I'm not trying to change any subject at all. You, on the other hand, are completely misrepresenting me here, now; I don't know if it's intentional or not.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HansGruber":24833d9u said:
RolandDeschain":24833d9u said:

Stop trying to change the subject.

You said DeSean Jackson has character issues and implied he's worse than Percy Harvin. Harvin has had 4 documented fights with coaches - from college into the pro's.

Are you going to backup your argument now, or....???
Umm, no he didn't. Those are your words, not Roland's.

Anthony!

Reaction score
So I decided to go back and do some comparisons my self. To make it fair I picked their best seasons, which also were seasons were both played all 16 games. For Jackson it was 2013 for Harvin 2011. Sinc e both are used in multiple ways we will look at it all

Jackson 1332 receiving yards, 81 return yards, 2 rushing yards for a total of 1405 yards and total of 9 tds
Harvin 967 receiving yards, 520 return yards, 345 rushing yards for a total of 1832 yards and 10 tds

So Harvin had the better all purpose season, however Jackson had the better Wr season. And that is how I look at them both are good, but Harvin is a superior all purpose player than Jackson and for us I like that.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Anthony!":1fvoos22 said:
So I decided to go back and do some comparisons my self. To make it fair I picked their best seasons, which also were seasons were both played all 16 games. For Jackson it was 2013 for Harvin 2011. Sinc e both are used in multiple ways we will look at it all

Jackson 1332 receiving yards, 81 return yards, 2 rushing yards for a total of 1405 yards and total of 9 tds
Harvin 967 receiving yards, 520 return yards, 345 rushing yards for a total of 1832 yards and 10 tds

So Harvin had the better all purpose season, however Jackson had the better Wr season. And that is how I look at them both are good, but Harvin is a superior all purpose player than Jackson and for us I like that.

There are a lot of ways to look at their stats. All purpose yards, TDs, yards per catch, yards after catch, etc.

Different offenses with different supporting casts. For example, in the two years that you compared, Harvin caught deep balls only 14% of the time while Jackson did so 40% of the time which would have a pretty big impact on YPC. Doesn't say much except that they were used differently. Hard to say that one is better than the other in any way.

Different strokes for different folks. That's the issue that I have with Hans' argument; He's treating something that's very subjective as though it's objective.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm guessing Hans will explain away running plays. Those fly sweeps Harvin had in the Super Bowl don't count, either. At least, I'm sure the Denver defense would prefer they didn't. 8) Oh, crap; his kickoff return TD doesn't count either, since it also was not a forward pass. CRAP!

DENVER! GET BACK ON THE FIELD, YOU CAN STILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!

themunn

Reaction score
All the things that Harvin is better than Jackson at he's better than Calvin Johnson at too.

But, like Calvin Johnson, Jackson is better at actually producing and staying on the field.

RolandDeschain":2bry6gzv said:
Not saying Percy has been more productive, we're saying Percy Harvin is a better talent. Also, flat-out destroys Harvin in every possible statistic? You must be only looking at the stats you want to look at. Harvin's career stats absolutely SMOKE DeSean's for yards after the catch, missed tackles, % of passes caught, dropped balls, etc. Harvin is light years ahead of DeSean in those categories and it's not even remotely close, despite fewer passes caught. Hans, I am flat-out telling you to your face that you don't know what you're talking about and you are the one with rose-colored glasses, here.

Unbelievable.

Tate is at least equal to or better than Harvin at all of those stats too, with the exception of YAC, where Harvin's stats are inflated due to the number of screens he receives (much like how Sproles and Pierre Thomas appear to be among the best "YAC receivers" in the league). Nobody (well, one person is) making the argument that Tate is better than Harvin.

co

Anyway, I say why not? All of them have attributes that defenses have to make adjustments for. Jackson's main strength is stretching the field, Harvin's main strength is drawing safety attention. Lynch's main strength is drawing extra men in the box. Baldwin's main strength is always finding a way open.
If we can find a way to afford him, (given we just cut Sidney Rice who was earning nearly 10m a year, I reckon it is possible, we could convert his 2014 salary into signing bonus), then we will have upgraded the team immeasurably.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hey at least I know where to turn to for personnel advice...since some of you know better than PC and JS

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
-The Glove-":39qd2z65 said:
Hey at least I know where to turn to for personnel advice...since some of you know better than PC and JS
Do you even understand the concept of humor? It's the offseason bud. Relax.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1be44ig3 said:
-The Glove-":1be44ig3 said:
Do you even understand the concept of humor? It's the offseason bud. Relax.
was I quoting you? Have anything to do with anything you consider humor? Alright then.

themunn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ckwv53q said:

We will never know what PC and JS think though, if Jackson had been available for a third round pick last year, would they have traded a 1st and this year's 3rd for Harvin? Does he represent an extra 1st round pick worth of value to them? I'm not so sure.

When it comes to Jackson, the biggest issue is his attitude, but when it comes to production it's tough to argue against him. His worst seasons came in 2012 when rookie Nick Foles was pretty damn ineffective in the 6 games he played (6 total receiving TDs). Every other year he's put up 900+ yards

And who knows, with a good influence like former college teammate Marshawn Lynch on the team, it could work out :)

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
BAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS SHIT IS STILL GOING ON??

Jackson has NEVER had MVP potential and NEVER will.

I gotta block this fool slobbing all over Jackson's giblets...someone get the dude get a towel and a breath mint.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Harvin and Jackson are vastly different players...its not nor would it ever be a one or the other.
One is a dynamic combo WR with a deadly return skill...the other a deep threat target who can flip the field. Our FO wanted Harvin...they didn't settle for him

We've given HansGruber another multiple page thread to voice his disdain for Harvin. Pre-super bowl its all he could talk about. He's taken this thread to do the same. Its ridiculous and full of supposition on his part (calling arguments, even heated ones, with coaches "fights" is the same hyperbole tactic my girlfriend uses when we argue...I mean fight)

Harvins argument with Childress came after the coach accused him fake limping...harvins actions were supported publicly (although anonimously) by some teammates. The one with Frasier after the coach decided to put him on IR. Harvin is a heated guy....but these instances aren't without background.

Not defending Harvin, but if Gruber wants to refer to these events let's offer full context.

FWIW...I'd love both guys as Seahawks

TJH

Reaction score
HansGruber":22ynzcw0 said:
You will never hear the Seahawks talk bad about Harvin because that is not their style. But I guarantee if they could make the choice over, they would have picked DeSean Jackson and fans here would be laughing at the 49ers, who were going after Harvin. Everyone here would be calling Carroll a genius for getting Jackson, and laughing that Baalke and Harbaugh gave up three picks and a long-term cap-killing contract for a guy who didn't even play one complete game all season.

I think this is partially true. I do guaran-freaking-tee that they would have rather taken Gordon who was being shopped around that same time if they had a do-over.

The absolutely true thing here is that this forum would be ripping the 49ers for the trade if things were different and they traded for a guy who played 1.5 games all season. There is not a doubt in my mind.

I like Percy, a lot, but this forum tries way too hard to cover for him. We most certainly lost the trade if you were to judge it at this point, however Percy still has 5 years on the contract to turn things around.

I do really think Jackson is being underrated here. He certainly isn't as versitile as Percy but he puts the fear of god into defenses on those go routes. He is also more-or0less as good on returns, but has not been given as many attempts. He is one of the major reasons Cooper and Maclin got those contracts and I look to see them fall dramatically in production if Desean leaves.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30w415fh said:
I'm guessing Hans will explain away running plays. Those fly sweeps Harvin had in the Super Bowl don't count, either. At least, I'm sure the Denver defense would prefer they didn't. 8) Oh, crap; his kickoff return TD doesn't count either, since it also was not a forward pass. CRAP!

DENVER! GET BACK ON THE FIELD, YOU CAN STILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!

Exactly.

People trying to fit Harvin in a WR mold only will always be disappointed in his WR numbers.

People that look at Harvin as a football player will drool all over themselves.

sc85sis

Reaction score
HansGruber":ylsbn30x said:
BlueTalon":ylsbn30x said:
If it was possible to retroactively spend money to get stat production, then you'd have a really strong point.

That was exactly the point of the "hypothetical" question.

If the Seahawks could go back one year, and pick between DeSean Jackson and Percy Harvin for the same money and picks, who would they pick?

Surely, you're not telling me they would pick Percy Harvin?
I think Harvin and Jackson are comparable talents. They both are electric and can be lined up at WR or RB. They are both home run threats in the return game.

There are some things that put Harvin over the top for me. He so far has demonstrated better ball security; Jackson has more than twice as many fumbles in his two extra seasons. Percy is two years younger. And as far as I'm aware, Percy never pulled any crap during the time Pete was recruiting him at USC. Desean wasn't the most effective communicator with Pete and co. and then claimed in the press that they weren't truthful with him. It's just my opinion, but he comes across to me as immature at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.