Rumor: RW to possibly play out rookie contract?

Hyak

Reaction score
Whether it gets done this offseason or next, Wilson isn't going anywhere and he is going to get paid. Worst case scenario, they have to use the franchise tag on him in 2016.

Regardless, any new deal this year would likely see a small jump in his cap number as with many of the deals they have done with core guys.

The other thing mentioned in the thread is that I could absolutely see RW's contract fully guaranteed, which may result in a more cap friendly structure.

12thbrah

Reaction score
BS detector going off. it would be foolish of Russell to not have some kind of financial security in place before next season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2axj0597 said:
Sgt. Largent":2axj0597 said:
For Wilson, it'd be the gamble of getting a fully guaranteed 19-23M a year if he's franchised vs. less guaranteed $$ over who knows how long the Hawks want him locked up. 5 years? 7 years?

What do you mean by less guaranteed money? If he signs a long-term deal, he is going to get at least $50+ million guaranteed. Maybe I am not understanding what you wrote.

The biggest gamble he would be taking by not signing a new deal is playing out this year without any future guaranteed money, and thereby shouldering the tremendous burden of risk in the event that he got hurt.

I meant in the short term.

Franchised for 2-3 years = all guaranteed vs. having to play out a 5-7 year contract to get all the guaranteed money.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nmsk58d said:
hawknation2015":3nmsk58d said:
Sgt. Largent":3nmsk58d said:
For Wilson, it'd be the gamble of getting a fully guaranteed 19-23M a year if he's franchised vs. less guaranteed $$ over who knows how long the Hawks want him locked up. 5 years? 7 years?

What do you mean by less guaranteed money? If he signs a long-term deal, he is going to get at least $50+ million guaranteed. Maybe I am not understanding what you wrote.

The biggest gamble he would be taking by not signing a new deal is playing out this year without any future guaranteed money, and thereby shouldering the tremendous burden of risk in the event that he got hurt.

Franchised for 2-3 years = all guaranteed vs. having to play out a 5-7 year contract to get all the guaranteed money.

If the contract is fully guaranteed, he gets the money regardless.

Thus his annual yearly salary would be lower.

Anthony!

Reaction score
First if they do not sign him this off season, they will either have to pay a lot more than they think or he will be gone. They will not tag him as that is not their way and even if they wanted to he would hold out until they took the tag off and become a FA. While I highly doubt Wilson does not get a deal done this off season, if he does not there is a real chance he is gone after this season. Given how everyone is saying Lynch is the heart beat of the team, and how we would suck without him and how so many think without Lynch Wilson would suck, it would not be a surprise. He has said he wants to be the best QB in the league, he will not be bale to do that here based on how this team is designed. The only way he does that is if there is a change in philosophy to more of a passing offense. Problem is other than our QB we do not have the players to do that. Wilson not having a deal before the season starts will not be a good thing for the Hawks. However who knows maybe the FO have decided any QB would do as long as they run and play defense.

kearly

Reaction score
The team saves A LOT of money in the long term by signing Wilson in 2015 as opposed to 2016. Not only will player salaries rise as a function of cap growth next year (meaning that it costs maybe 10% less to sign him now), but it also deprives Seattle of the ability to spread out the benefit of Wilson's final cheap year over the next X years of his next contract.

The other thing people need to realize is that Wilson probably isn't going to be making huge money in 2015 even if does sign a deal. Many deals will pay a player a huge up front signing bonus and then next to nothing in base salary in year one. Harvin's deal was like that. As is Kaepernick's. If Seattle did sign Wilson this offseason his cap hit in 2015 would likely be around $10 million. Seattle can easily sign Wilson this offseason and still sign big free agents and have the money work out.

Also, the fully guaranteed money talk is crazy and won't happen. JS wouldn't do it, and Russell is too smart to take it. Franchise QBs are basically never cut and very few suffer career ending injuries in their primes, so guaranteed money is basically meaningless to them. They might put a clause in there like Kaep's contract where Wilson gets a huge amount guaranteed if he gets badly injured and has to retire. But for the most part, QBs don't care about guaranteed money like other positions do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":20xnenaj said:
Sgt. Largent":20xnenaj said:
hawknation2015":20xnenaj said:
Sgt. Largent":20xnenaj said:

If the contract is fully guaranteed, he gets the money regardless.

Thus his annual yearly salary would be lower.

Right, so he'd get the money faster, thus more beneficial $$$ wise in the short term........but also riskier cause he could have a terrible year or get hurt.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/568533068023275520[/tweet]

I'm sure we can spin this a few different ways right?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kidhawk":19sj8hn5 said:

Oh my god Russell Wilson is dying.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3tfan0qi said:

50 Shades of Grey changes a man.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ud8wz3p said:

A little ironic with the timing here right? A post about the insignificance of money int he long term vs. legacy and significance in helping people.

Also Earl Thomas just tweeted "You are the franchise back, love you for you @MoneyLynch".

Interesting. Perhaps things are happening in the background!

LTH

Reaction score
If this is true he is making a bad choice... Make no mistake about it the NFL is a business... Remember what happened to Kitna? as I remember it Holmgren offered him a big contract and something happened where he declined it for some reason... I think he thought he didnt deserve it or something like that and the next year he was cut...

I like Russell and Hope he takes what he can when he can... if this is true its a bad choice by Russell....

LTH

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I think he means he plans to use his money and fame to affect people's lives, i.e. that the insane amount of money he will be making will be used for important things. His life will be summed up by more than the money he made.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":zosycs4b said:
Davis Hsu just wrote an article on this topic also via Field Gulls. He's a great guy to follow on Twitter and he's a salary cap and roster management guru.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... t-reported

From that article (well thought out article I might add)

In the end, I think it's an idea worth exploring because it can set some parameters for negotiation, but in the end, I still lean toward a deal getting done this offseason. That said, I respect La Canfora and I don't believe he is putting this idea out there without some credible sources. It's worth bringing up, but I personally would bet the odds of this happening are less than 50 percent.

You don't want to be in "limbo" over a multi-year period on a player, especially when you are reshaping an offense around one particular player's strengths and weaknesses (in this case - Wilson).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Russ did that, that would truly be "out of the box" and completely selfless.

No one in that lockerroom would question him in negative light and hes basically saying if this is true,

Put the best team around me, I only care about Championships.

Something like this changes things.

All of a Suh-den Suh looks like a possibility as they can front load that contract a little better as well as going after a big name WR/TE while keeping another guy they possibly would have cut.

This will be interesting.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Only way this happens is if the hawks get him Brandon Marshall & J.Thomas. then draft 1 of the top 5 WR + a speed WR like Dorrset or Devin smith. And OG franklin !

But I see him getting his contract now & just getting Marshall & 1 of the top 5 WRs in the draft to play the #2 spot learning from Marshall.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":2cuikr9t said:
The team saves A LOT of money in the long term by signing Wilson in 2015 as opposed to 2016. Not only will player salaries rise as a function of cap growth next year (meaning that it costs maybe 10% less to sign him now), but it also deprives Seattle of the ability to spread out the benefit of Wilson's final cheap year over the next X years of his next contract.

The other thing people need to realize is that Wilson probably isn't going to be making huge money in 2015 even if does sign a deal. Many deals will pay a player a huge up front signing bonus and then next to nothing in base salary in year one. Harvin's deal was like that. As is Kaepernick's. If Seattle did sign Wilson this offseason his cap hit in 2015 would likely be around $10 million. Seattle can easily sign Wilson this offseason and still sign big free agents and have the money work out.

Also, the fully guaranteed money talk is crazy and won't happen. JS wouldn't do it, and Russell is too smart to take it. Franchise QBs are basically never cut and very few suffer career ending injuries in their primes, so guaranteed money is basically meaningless to them. They might put a clause in there like Kaep's contract where Wilson gets a huge amount guaranteed if he gets badly injured and has to retire. But for the most part, QBs don't care about guaranteed money like other positions do.

This is true to an extent.

But lets say this happens to play out.

Russ would cost what? 2M this year.

If he signed next year, he probably could play off his signing bonus alone. And cost maybe 10-15 m max against the cap in 2015.

Then all his big salary years where he's making 20-25m can be pushed to 2016 and onward where Seahawks will have more cap space as well as the cap expecting to rise to 170 in 2017.

By Russ allowing this puts the Seahawks in a position to really go all out in fielding better a better roster in 2015 and 2016 where its championship window is at its best with Lynch and most of the core defense under contract in thier prime.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":oyrsh2fp said:
kidhawk":oyrsh2fp said:

*Affect.

The man went to NC State and Wisconsin, what do you expect?