Russ = not ready?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Russ is a good QB. But he could have been better if the coaching staff didn’t baby him all these years. I really do believe the team needs to find another QB. Maybe with some competition he will become better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1b5aas53 said:
Jerhawk":1b5aas53 said:
Ok, I've changed my mind.

I was pisT at Wilson, and still place a huge chunk of blame on him for this loss, but let's all take a step back.

This was his first game in a new system. He looked great in some of his 1st read throws, as usual. When he had to look off his primary read is when he looked bad.

Let's just give him some time, and he'll figure this out.
I dunno man... he flat out missed some gimmie throws, and was just floating balls out there. He was flat out awful today. His throw to Lockett was probably the highlight. Despite his stats I think this is probably one of the worst games i've seen from him. He looked a little like Tarvaris Jackson unfortunately. Very hesitant.

His statistics looked OKAY but I don't think they tell the entire story here.

Oh yeah, he definitely had some struggles, and those 3 sacks he took were unacceptable and really killed those drives.

But, if there's anybody who can figure this out, it's him. He's delivered for us in the past so many times, he's earned our trust.

And tbh, our offense should really look at establishing the run like we were promised all season. Relying on Wilson to carry the offense is unrealistic.

He just needs to settle down and stop trying to do so much. I'd like to see him trust the guys around him to block and keep the pocket for him, and he needs to deliver it on time more consistently.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
They should have called a few designed runs to settle him down.

He may have been overwhelmed with all the new things he is being asked to do. He also had Von Miller on top of him a lot.

Statistically, he had a decent game, except for the INTs. Even with the INTs, he had like a 92 QB rating. But we all know he can be so much better than what he showed today, which is frustrating.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Steve2222":2ufgs5pm said:
adeltaY":2ufgs5pm said:
Steve2222":2ufgs5pm said:
Russ has historically been bad on opening day. This was easily his best opening day performance

And that is unacceptable.

4x Pro Bowls, 2x Super Bowls and 1x Championship says it’s not been too bad.

Yes...but more and more time and distance is forming between those and the current reality. The glory days are becoming more of a distant memory. Perfectly acceptable to be worried about a guy we are in line to invest 1/6th of our salary cap in.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"The gameplan to beat Russell has always been to keep in the pocket, "
I believe that is OUR game plan as well and I don't think it plays to his strengths. He was different early on in his career and he was much more unpredictable. The Hawks have decided he needed to play from the pocket more, the opposing D knows where he is and where we (the Hawks) want him to be.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
His decision making has definitely regressed. In this game his mobility worked against him. He took far too many sacks for 10+ yard losses. I still think he is top QB but he needs to play a lot smarter. His football intelligence is not where it should be at this point. That’s what separates Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. He’s got all the athleticism but not developing his football IQ.

TreeRon

Reaction score
w00t":8degw94z said:
northseahawk":8degw94z said:
I can't believe this trash will be making $35 mill/yr soon!

sad..

Always good to worry about crap that may or may not happen.
Rest assured if he plays like today for the rest of the upcoming season he won't get $35mill. Unless of course $35mill is what an average qb in the NFL is getting at the time. Which would not surprise me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
High standard to hold Russ to.

Because you believe he is elite.

He isn't. He is very, very good but the difference is he is not dependable. He can carry this team. But unlike an elite QB, you cannot COUNT on him to carry this team. He is almost there but you don't know if he is going show up prepared.

That said, his OC is not making it easier on him. AT ALL.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Well...he is what he is.

A good QB but more often than not - not a great QB the last few seasons. He's a somewhat undersized fella highly dependent upon speed to 'make things happen' but that speed is getting hobbled by accumulated years and injury plus the mental baggage that comes along with getting thumped far too often during recent seasons.

This wasn't his worst game by far, and the D was suspect throughout, but here's the most pertinent point.

Early years RW benefited from a world-class running back at the top of his game and as such, was able to play w/o being the primary stop-focus of opposing teams. Once that running game was weakened by a more porous line and the absence of Beast, Wilson's weaknesses became more front and center and he has yet to develop past them and now more and more are openly wondering if he ever will.

To those who say we won't really know until Pete is gone - I agree.

Hoping for the best this season but expecting it to be a pretty frustrating affair. There'll be some good games, some horrible ones, etc.- much like RW's play.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'll give it a few more games to see how he does with a new coordinator, but Russell Wilson may have peaked. Doesn't mean he's a bad QB. Just means maybe he's hit his talent ceiling?

He looked slow and indecisive out there today. If he can't pass within 3 seconds inside the pocket, or escape the pocket, he's basically a sitting duck out there. Not having DB out there didn't help either.

There should be more designed runs or at least one read option keeper early in the game to keep defenses off balance.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3793pmly said:
Russ hasn't been the same the last few seasons. He is off... same patterns, bad decisions, bad throws, running into sacks, missing open receivers.

Losing faith.

I blame Bevell.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":knqqccd2 said:
I don't think he played particularly bad today outside of a few first quarter drives and the last drive of the game.

The defense sucked today, and that was the main issue. If you can't get off the field on 3rd down it's going to be a long day.
Yes the defense was suspect but the offense did them no favors.. They were HORRENDOUS on 3rd down.. Especially when there were a handful of 3rd and 3's-5..how about you dump it off to a RB on a swing pass??? The game could have been won if we could have converted a few 3rd downs
The offense gets thr blame imo.
I thought Trey Flowers had some bright spots in the game today. I'm glad he didn't get seriously injured.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

evergreen

Reaction score
He is streaky. When hot,he’s totally elite. Today he was average. He can be so bad sometimes it’s embarrassing. Running backwards into sacks? Still? He doesn’t even run anymore so how does he think he can do that? He needs a to run and be a running threat to be most effective even if it’s just rolling out. This is like 2012.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He’s a great QB who had a bad game. I think they’re still working out some of the kinks. We saw good things from Marshall. Lockett had a great play. Dissly had several nice catches. The OL looked better, sans RT. Carson will make the offense run more efficiently once he starts getting more carries. I don’t expect to see this next week.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I kinda wanna see what Brett Hundley can do