Russ = not ready?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":emnuhctf said:
Spin Doctor":emnuhctf said:
Russell Wilson is what he is. I think he is limited compared to other QB's, but he makes up for it with his mobility. He never has been the kind of guy that executed timing passes to perfection, nor the type of guy that knew how to manipulate the pocket or throw his guys open. Wilson is able to be successful in this league because he is bar none the best passer outside of the pocket, and on the run. The gameplan to beat Russell has always been to keep in the pocket, and that is exactly what Denver did. That is why I've always said he needs to refine his game.

Despite Russell's flaws he is a good QB, but unfortunately he is an inconsistent QB, and I think he will always be one. Calling him trash is jumping the shark. Is he the best QB in the NFL? Certainly not. Is he replacement level? No, he is not.

If the game plan to beat Russell is to keep him in the pocket, then Denver must be depressed about their performance. Because despite no running game today he still had 3 Tds, and if I’m not mistaken 300 yards

Quarterbacks have bad games. As fans we need to judge Russell the same way we judge other QBs. Your reaction would be like Niners fans giving up on Jimmy G after a bad performance today. Objective analysts of the game believe he’s a top 5 Qb because...he is. Most QBs look average when you sack them 6 times
Not to sound rude, but were you watching the same game? Russell Wilson was absolutely atrocious. There is no two ways about it. Yes, he had stats, but if I recall many around here in the past -- the mantra about Wilson when he didn't have the big TD, and yard numbers was "ITS NOT ABOUT THE STATS". It's the same deal here, the stats in this game do not paint a good picture of what exactly happened.

First off, the Broncos coverage that game was truly dreadful. I saw many missed assignments, and errors, some of which Wilson did not capitalize on, and failed to see. I was flabbergasted by his inability to see what was going on in front of him. He missed a ton of open receivers (as in didn't see them) upon second review. His accuracy today was truly horrid. He missed wide open receivers without any pressure in his face. Those sacks he took were absolutely unacceptable. Four of those sacks were directly on Russell Wilson. The first sack was the most egregious. He stood for around 3 seconds in the same spot. The Bronco defender got to him and sacked him. The middle of the Broncos D-Line was completely taken out of play. Russell could have either stepped up, or ran for a huge gain. The end result was a sack for a huge loss. This same thing continued. He didn't always have room to step up, but even when he did he just didn't do it. He also was sitting in the pocket for long periods of time. On four of the sacks I counted at least 3 seconds, some 4 or five seconds. You cannot hang in the pocket for that long and expect to remain clean. Most QB's get the ball out of their hands at around the two second mark.

The second biggest thing that must be noted is the fact that Russell had three turnovers, a sub 60 percent completion and his net yardage after the sacks was only 242 which puts the Seahawks in the 12th spot in the NFL in terms of passing yardage, and we still have two games, and four teams that have yet to play. The Denver Broncos by contrast are currently 4th. At the end of the day we lost today's game, and Russell Wilson played a huge part in that. He got sacked many times, but his inability to audible, manipulate the pocket, and see the field played a huge role in that. This game may look pretty on the stat sheet at first glance, but once you dig deeper into things those numbers start to fall apart.

I have always said this about Russ. He is a very inconsistent Quarterback. Kind of reminds me of Donovan McNabb in that sense. His inconsistencies never showed up in the stat chart, but fans, and commentators alike took notice of them even during his best years. One game he would look like a predator that is out for blood, shooting footballs out of his hand with laser guided precision, and the next he would be missing easy passes right and left, and holding onto the ball as if it was his child. It's the same deal here.

I'd take Russ at his best over any QB in the NFL at their best, unfortunately that man only comes to play one quarter every game, if at all. What I am is frustrated at both him and Pete. We've all seen what he can be. Russ is not just another scrub QB, it is because of this that he is one of the most frustrating passers to watch in the NFL. You know he can take over a game, you know he can be among one of the most accurate passers in the league. We've seen him put up MVP like numbers and play consistent games in 2015, so it isn't out of the question that he can become that. So we come to why he isn't that Quarterback? That is always the question that is nagging in my head every single time I see him play, and that is why I, as well as others are quite frustrated with him. We're being the football equivalent of blue balled.

strohmin

Reaction score
I think his problem is his forget about the past attitude. He needs to remember how shitty hes been playing and correct that. It feels like he never learns from his mistakes.

themunn

Reaction score
Wilson got caught out on a number of plays by retreating backwards - and it made it look like the O-line was doing a bad job. But there were a number of times where Wilson had plenty of time - more than I can remember in recent years, yet he still failed to find an open receiver.

Is this because receivers weren't getting open, or Wilson not pulling the trigger? I can't be certain.
But he was out there running plays with Marshall, Brown, Penny, Dissly & Moore running routes, who prior to yesterday had combined for 0 catches from Wilson in their career. Once Baldwin went down only Carson (4 games), Vannett (24 catches) and Lockett had ever caught a pass from him before. I'm hoping a lot of it comes down to lack of familiarity with the players. Wilson has always been a guy who needs to trust his receivers and I don't think he's quite there yet. Hopefully that will change over the next few weeks, because he can't expect to stand in the pocket for 5+ seconds looking for a receiver.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Talk about exaggeration. Wilson can't hold Rodgers jock is truly laughable, since it was the same Wilson that kicked Rogers ass with less than two minutes one of the biggest comeback this decade. Wilson didn't have a good game, but I wouldn't say it was bad, he still had 300 yards, 3 Tds and would have had more if Pete didnt screw up.

xray

Reaction score
Wilsons best years have come and gone . This is his 7th season and he looks like an old QB. Everything about him looked slower and less effective than last season. In fairness he still has no OL but he is not good enough any more to compensate for that. He is in fact regressing. It happens to most QB's and only the elite few play very well for 10 or more years. Wilson is NOT ELITE. His physical skills are falling off and he can't stop that. He hurts the offense as much as he helps. He can't even throw the ball away when he should. He will have some good games this year but he is too inconsistent to get the Hawks to the playoffs this year. To be fair he is also on a team that has regressed under Carroll and Shnieder and SH*T rolls down hill. He is not good enough to carry a team anymore.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
xray":2d49phlv said:
Wilsons best years have come and gone . This is his 7th season and he looks like an old QB. Everything about him looked slower and less effective than last season. In fairness he still has no OL but he is not good enough any more to compensate for that. He is in fact regressing. It happens to most QB's and only the elite few play very well for 10 or more years. Wilson is NOT ELITE. His physical skills are falling off and he can't stop that. He hurts the offense as much as he helps. He can't even throw the ball away when he should. He will have some good games this year but he is too inconsistent to get the Hawks to the playoffs this year. To be fair he is also on a team that has regressed under Carroll and Shnieder and SH*T rolls down hill. He is not good enough to carry a team anymore.
:lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Some people sound like bitter 90 year olds :roll:
As if I should expect any less after a loss. Meh, on to next Monday.

xray

Reaction score
He is starting to look old and is not coachable. Not elite not close. No playoffs. Don't pay him. Trade him while he has gas in his tank.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Russ literally TOLD you why he is not as good recently as the first few years.

'The separation is in the preparation'

When Russ started, he was known for spending hours watching extra film, doing extra workouts - going far beyond the hours that a normal QB is expected to put in. Consequently, his decision making was pretty close to elite.

Admittedly, he had a pretty great group of WRs and TEs. But his decisioning was amazing and on point.

Now, the ask is whether he is putting in the same amount of hours? Of course not. Not even sure that was sustainable. He was producing at elite levels because he was outworking everybody. We all know that he not only cannot put in those hours, but some of his ventures and commitments, as well as PR efforts - stretch him thin anyway.

He told you that his production was a product of his preparation and that he was putting way more into the preparation than most QBs even at the NFL level.

He is a streaky QB that does amazing things, so sometimes people expect that as his baseline performance. The defense hid those issues pretty well. Last year, for all the crap we talk about the defense, it was 9th rated in giving up scores per possession. It still masked a lot of offensive sputtering. So when Russ did shine, it was tremendous but when he failed - the defense generally held serve.

Now we need him to do his best Ben Rapistburger impression and I don't know if he can do that. He is very good as a QB, but he isn't elite like Rodgers, Brady, Brees or even Rivers. He is that next tier down that occasionally does stuff that even the elite tier cannot. But he isn't dependable for that and his decision-making is going to be suspect unless he is putting in the 12-15 hour days he was. But I don't think you can expect that long-term.

This is who he is though he will get better as he learns the new offense, he isn't going to be that elite QB that can carry a team game after game with a mediocre defense.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Sorry but Russell has a life, he has kids a wife, his life doesn't revolve around football. I can't wait for the hottakes when Russell kills it this season, would bump this thread for all the general managers that overreact on everything.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Holy hell. Some of the ppl in here in the 1990s were calling the seahawks the sea-$#@&# or sea chickens. Weren't you?

chawx

Reaction score
The core of the sun is jealous of the heat produced by these hot takes.

Step away and listen to yourselves for a second. To the people slinging hate on Russ, please, give me a name of ONE available QB in this league, just one, who you would replace Wilson with. So, you can't say Brady (ew...), Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger (seriously...), Luck (LMFAO!), Deshaun Watson (did you see that pathetic attempt vs. NE this week), Newton (Ha! Wow!)...or almost any other starter in the league. Who?

Who do you want instead of Russell "GD Historically GREAT over his first 6 season" Wilson?

Go ahead. I'll wait.

rcaido

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2ec8nxvp said:
chawx's avatar is really disturbing.

I find that disturbing...

First he's not tall enough
Then not black enough

Are you trying to say he is not pretty enough?

hawk45

Reaction score
Russ wasn't bad or atrocious, but his consistency of execution sure was.

Hat tip to Popeye who has been banging the drum for years: we have yet to see that an offense that asks Russ to execute consistently all game long works. He's a high-variance guy, and Pete's love for the big play hasn't done much to mitigate those tendencies. Minus the DOA Ifedi-v-Miller plays, Schotty had him in spots all game long where reasonable execution gets it done, and he executed well half the time or less.

Not that Schotty came away clean. There were lanes there in the first half and we inexplicably didn't run or handed it to Penny (okay Carson's fumblitis does perhaps explain the Penny touches).

And if they trot out the same plan for Ifedi vs Mack then we may as well punt on obvious passing downs. Of course if you leave TEs to block they can't go on patterns but we didn't throw the TE in the second half when Miller was feeding anyways. The game plan vs Mack is probably just to try to stay out of obvious passing downs and give up otherwise.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":wkr19o3f said:
Scorpion05":wkr19o3f said:
Spin Doctor":wkr19o3f said:
Russell Wilson is what he is. I think he is limited compared to other QB's, but he makes up for it with his mobility. He never has been the kind of guy that executed timing passes to perfection, nor the type of guy that knew how to manipulate the pocket or throw his guys open. Wilson is able to be successful in this league because he is bar none the best passer outside of the pocket, and on the run. The gameplan to beat Russell has always been to keep in the pocket, and that is exactly what Denver did. That is why I've always said he needs to refine his game.

Despite Russell's flaws he is a good QB, but unfortunately he is an inconsistent QB, and I think he will always be one. Calling him trash is jumping the shark. Is he the best QB in the NFL? Certainly not. Is he replacement level? No, he is not.

If the game plan to beat Russell is to keep him in the pocket, then Denver must be depressed about their performance. Because despite no running game today he still had 3 Tds, and if I’m not mistaken 300 yards

Quarterbacks have bad games. As fans we need to judge Russell the same way we judge other QBs. Your reaction would be like Niners fans giving up on Jimmy G after a bad performance today. Objective analysts of the game believe he’s a top 5 Qb because...he is. Most QBs look average when you sack them 6 times
Not to sound rude, but were you watching the same game? Russell Wilson was absolutely atrocious. There is no two ways about it. Yes, he had stats, but if I recall many around here in the past -- the mantra about Wilson when he didn't have the big TD, and yard numbers was "ITS NOT ABOUT THE STATS". It's the same deal here, the stats in this game do not paint a good picture of what exactly happened.

First off, the Broncos coverage that game was truly dreadful. I saw many missed assignments, and errors, some of which Wilson did not capitalize on, and failed to see. I was flabbergasted by his inability to see what was going on in front of him. He missed a ton of open receivers (as in didn't see them) upon second review. His accuracy today was truly horrid. He missed wide open receivers without any pressure in his face. Those sacks he took were absolutely unacceptable. Four of those sacks were directly on Russell Wilson. The first sack was the most egregious. He stood for around 3 seconds in the same spot. The Bronco defender got to him and sacked him. The middle of the Broncos D-Line was completely taken out of play. Russell could have either stepped up, or ran for a huge gain. The end result was a sack for a huge loss. This same thing continued. He didn't always have room to step up, but even when he did he just didn't do it. He also was sitting in the pocket for long periods of time. On four of the sacks I counted at least 3 seconds, some 4 or five seconds. You cannot hang in the pocket for that long and expect to remain clean. Most QB's get the ball out of their hands at around the two second mark.

The second biggest thing that must be noted is the fact that Russell had three turnovers, a sub 60 percent completion and his net yardage after the sacks was only 242 which puts the Seahawks in the 12th spot in the NFL in terms of passing yardage, and we still have two games, and four teams that have yet to play. The Denver Broncos by contrast are currently 4th. At the end of the day we lost today's game, and Russell Wilson played a huge part in that. He got sacked many times, but his inability to audible, manipulate the pocket, and see the field played a huge role in that. This game may look pretty on the stat sheet at first glance, but once you dig deeper into things those numbers start to fall apart.

I have always said this about Russ. He is a very inconsistent Quarterback. Kind of reminds me of Donovan McNabb in that sense. His inconsistencies never showed up in the stat chart, but fans, and commentators alike took notice of them even during his best years. One game he would look like a predator that is out for blood, shooting footballs out of his hand with laser guided precision, and the next he would be missing easy passes right and left, and holding onto the ball as if it was his child. It's the same deal here.

I'd take Russ at his best over any QB in the NFL at their best, unfortunately that man only comes to play one quarter every game, if at all. What I am is frustrated at both him and Pete. We've all seen what he can be. Russ is not just another scrub QB, it is because of this that he is one of the most frustrating passers to watch in the NFL. You know he can take over a game, you know he can be among one of the most accurate passers in the league. We've seen him put up MVP like numbers and play consistent games in 2015, so it isn't out of the question that he can become that. So we come to why he isn't that Quarterback? That is always the question that is nagging in my head every single time I see him play, and that is why I, as well as others are quite frustrated with him. We're being the football equivalent of blue balled.

To your first response, I see nothing wrong with a dink and dunk offense. It kind of stat pads for the Quarterback, but my point was not that I hate it, but that it’s not the offense we run. Besides, if we did fans would just nitpick again and call him “checkdown Russ”

Remember last year when we beat the red hot Eagles? You know what people said about Carson Wentz? They didn’t say “Man Carson sucks”, they said “Wow, Seattle played great and Russell was amazing.” And when the Broncos repeatedly beat Tom Brady at Mile High? “That is such a hard stadium for Brady to play in, along with the altitude and the great defense. Tom Brady is still great”. And when Andrew Luck sucks? “Oh he needs an O-line, his team sucks, he’s a true Hall of Famer.”

See, I don’t hold Russell to a standard I don’t hold other Quarterbacks to. If Russell had a bad game, but he shows flashes of brilliance, I say the SAME thing I’d dsay about Carson Wentz, Derek Carr, Tom Brady, Etc. “Wow, that defense gave Russell a hard time. He couldn’t step into the pocket, always someone in his face. That Right tackle was getting abused. Russ also seemed to miss throws he usually makes.”

Is that what this forum does? Nope, despite what the actual film says, the forum doesn’t hold Russell to the same standard as Big Ben, Wentz, Carr, or even Brady. If he doesn’t play well, suddenly he should be diminished. He’s not great, shouldn’t get paid elite money. As you say, he was “atrocious”. So, I guess we’ll have to be grownups, and agree to disagree. We’ll see who’s right when the dust settles

aawolf

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":l4rietal said:
Scorpion05":l4rietal said:
Spin Doctor":l4rietal said:

I always enjoy reading your posts, SpinDoctor, but I think you are spinning Russ's performance wrong.

This wasn't his best game, but your missing a few things.

1) The Broncos have a great defensive line. Not just good, but great. They are now probably in the top 5 of the league. Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Bradley Chubb are household names and they have other role-players that can get after any quarterback. It didn't help that Ifedi was trying to block Von Miller. Talk about a mismatch. They were getting pressure up the middle too, and when Russ is forced to move outside the pocket, Von Miller had the speed to run him down--that doesn't happen against most teams. This happened immediately on the sack plays. Push up the middle, Russ rolls left and is chased down. So, while the secondary for the Broncos isn't steller, they didn't need to be.

2) The stats that you speak of were not bad--19/33, 298 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs. Not bad. If our run game were better and if Doug Baldwin wasn't out for the second half, we'd have been better on offense. Scoring 24 points is usually enough to win, but obviously not enough this time. I'm not going to put this loss on Wilson too much.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
aawolf":s0u4dlga said:
Spin Doctor":s0u4dlga said:
Scorpion05":s0u4dlga said:
Spin Doctor":s0u4dlga said:

I always enjoy reading your posts, SpinDoctor, but I think you are spinning Russ's performance wrong.

This wasn't his best game, but your missing a few things.

1) The Broncos have a great defensive line. Not just good, but great. They are now probably in the top 5 of the league. Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Bradley Chubb are household names and they have other role-players that can get after any quarterback. It didn't help that Ifedi was trying to block Von Miller. Talk about a mismatch. They were getting pressure up the middle too, and when Russ is forced to move outside the pocket, Von Miller had the speed to run him down--that doesn't happen against most teams. This happened immediately on the sack plays. Push up the middle, Russ rolls left and is chased down. So, while the secondary for the Broncos isn't steller, they didn't need to be.

2) The stats that you speak of were not bad--19/33, 298 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs. Not bad. If our run game were better and if Doug Baldwin wasn't out for the second half, we'd have been better on offense. Scoring 24 points is usually enough to win, but obviously not enough this time. I'm not going to put this loss on Wilson too much.
1. Most of the sacks were on Russell Wilson himself. He was holding the ball for far too long, and on some of those sacks he had over three seconds to get rid of the ball. That is not an offensive line problem, that is a Russ problem. Furthermore they blitzed quite a bit and Russell Wilson failed to recognize it. When I rewatched the game I saw a lot of open receivers that he just flat out didn't see. That is something that you expect a veteran QB to execute. How do you beat that kind of pressure that is applied with blitzes? You get the ball out of your hand quickly, or you change the play to a more favorable one. Wilson did neither of these two things. He also did not have pressure on him immediately in most situations. On many of his sacks he had over two seconds in the pocket. The average QB gets rid of the ball within 2 seconds, the really good pocket passers can be as low as 1.7, 1.6 seconds.

2. Stats do not tell the whole story here. Russell Wilson fumbled twice, and ran himself into long sacks. If you look at our passing yardage team totals, REALLY he only had 240 yards, and sub 60 percent completion. When he did get opportunities he missed them much of the time. His accuracy was god awful, and he failed to recognize open receivers when he got them.

Listen, I am critical of the guy because he is still making rookie mistakes and he has been in the league for seven years. Does that mean I think he is a bad QB? No. When Russell Wilson plays at his best there is no other QB that could beat him, but unfortunately that guy hasn't been coming to play lately. I don't think he is replaceable. He just had a bad game, and it is what it is. I was just disappointed by his lack of progress as a passer.

He had a bad game, and it was largely was on him. It is what it is.

Latest posts