Russ was off today

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3em78vop said:
MontanaHawk05":3em78vop said:
His offensive line is backups, his WRs aren't getting open or catching the ball, and his playcaller is inconsistent. It's not just one thing.
Agree with all of this. Pus, at times he is missing open guys when they're there.

Agreed he is missing open targets sometimes when they are there, how much of that is trying to be to fine with the pass because of all the drops of late?

Exittium

Reaction score
Anthony!":y4g0exvy said:
hawkfan68":y4g0exvy said:
HuskerHawk":y4g0exvy said:
A major factor for quarterback success is what he has around him, especially at the NFL level. Duh no brainer right? Russell Wilson is certainly pressing, but that is directly due to the fact that he has very little talent around him. Bevell doesn't help, but without mincing words the Hawks have a terrible oline and receiving corps (sans Baldwin, but he can't carry the team). Fix these issues, and Wilson will flourish. It's that simple. Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback of this generation, was actually getting criticized last year and the beginning of this year. People were calling him washed up and some even calling for Garoppolo. Funnily enough this coincided with him having the worst offensive weapons of his career (and that's saying something). Now with a healthy Gronk and the addition of slightly above average NFLer Brandon Lafell, he's playing some of the best football of his career. Russell Wilson has it worse, possibly a lot worse, than Brady had it last year. Chew on that.

Yes and no. Some QBs have the ability to make those around them better. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady have done that in the past. Russell was doing that in 2012 and 2013. He hasn't done that this year for some reason.

Really lets look at that shall we and add a few more QBs in for good measure

Luck - 6th pass blocking o-line and has TY Hilton, Wayne, Nicks to throw to
P Manning- 4th pass blocking o-line and he has Thomas, Welker, Sanders
Brady 19th ranked pass blocking o-line (ours is now ranked 28th) and he has Gronk, Edelman
Rodger o-line ranked 19th in pass blocking and has Nelson, Cobb to throw to
Brees o-line ranked 5th and he has Graham, cooks, Colson,
Ryan 7th pass blocking o-line and he has Hester, Jones, White, Smith
Rivers 9th o-line, and he has gates, Floyd, Royal, Allen

Really let me remind you most of these Wr were good to great before their QBs got them

So sorry the talent around a QB does in fact matter and right now WIlson has it about as bad as anyone.

I think Wilson working with Norwood and Richardson will start to look good. They've already imo impressed me.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Exittium":278u68ak said:
Anthony!":278u68ak said:
hawkfan68":278u68ak said:
HuskerHawk":278u68ak said:
A major factor for quarterback success is what he has around him, especially at the NFL level. Duh no brainer right? Russell Wilson is certainly pressing, but that is directly due to the fact that he has very little talent around him. Bevell doesn't help, but without mincing words the Hawks have a terrible oline and receiving corps (sans Baldwin, but he can't carry the team). Fix these issues, and Wilson will flourish. It's that simple. Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback of this generation, was actually getting criticized last year and the beginning of this year. People were calling him washed up and some even calling for Garoppolo. Funnily enough this coincided with him having the worst offensive weapons of his career (and that's saying something). Now with a healthy Gronk and the addition of slightly above average NFLer Brandon Lafell, he's playing some of the best football of his career. Russell Wilson has it worse, possibly a lot worse, than Brady had it last year. Chew on that.

Yes and no. Some QBs have the ability to make those around them better. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady have done that in the past. Russell was doing that in 2012 and 2013. He hasn't done that this year for some reason.

Brady 19th ranked pass blocking o-line (ours is now ranked 28th) and he has Gronk, Edelman

Really let me remind you most of these Wr were good to great before their QBs got them

So sorry the talent around a QB does in fact matter and right now WIlson has it about as bad as anyone.

Could be but he still needs time to throw and good play calling both of which are a big issue.

I think Wilson working with Norwood and Richardson will start to look good. They've already imo impressed me.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
His accuracy was off, hes had a few bad games but he will be fine... We really need our guys to get healthy.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Anthony!":2v994ujb said:
hawkfan68":2v994ujb said:
HuskerHawk":2v994ujb said:

You're going to say that Edelman was good to great before he played with Brady? Same for Nelson and Cobb with Rodgers? hmmm....ok, if you say so.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawkfan68":31s7t5wz said:
Anthony!":31s7t5wz said:
hawkfan68":31s7t5wz said:
HuskerHawk":31s7t5wz said:

You're going to say that Edelman was good to great before he played with Brady? Same for Nelson and Cobb with Rodgers? hmmm....ok, if you say so.

Yeah they were, a lot better than anyone we have

Nateruw

Reaction score
I missed the first half, but today was the first time I've seen him with happy feet. Something is up. Then again I'd be pretty skittish too if Sweezy was my only lineman who started last year.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":q9xqmja9 said:
rideaducati":q9xqmja9 said:
Russell Wilson with a career high of 9 off target passes today. I think it's less his fault and more on the O-line, but troubling none the less.

add in 4 drops and most of those off targets were under major pressure

Coming into this game we had 7 official drops, where did you get 4 today?

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":3ljj05wv said:
hawksfansinceday1":3ljj05wv said:
MontanaHawk05":3ljj05wv said:
His offensive line is backups, his WRs aren't getting open or catching the ball, and his playcaller is inconsistent. It's not just one thing.
Agree with all of this. Pus, at times he is missing open guys when they're there.

Agreed he is missing open targets sometimes when they are there, how much of that is trying to be to fine with the pass because of all the drops of late?

The Hawks have 9 drops this season, and rank 18th in drop percentage per pass, so "drop" the drop excuses already.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... tage/2014/

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wilson's been hit pretty damn hard at least once a week now. I don't blame him if he's scared of that patchwork O-line and probably pressing to get rid of the ball quicker. I wouldn't be surprised if he's hurt, and playing through it. Next week Wilson will come out slinging the ball again once he gets Unger back.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
He may have been off today, but those of you saying he is having a off year are nuts.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Russ had a similar slump last year, too. I attributed it to him being beaten half to death and I suppose the same, but to a lesser extent, can be said again this year. And maybe this is why Bevell has been calling some of the crap he's been calling, too. Trying to get the ball out of his hands as fast as possible (in theory). Unsure, but the Oline isn't going to get better any time soon. Our young receivers will also take time What do we do with our slumping Russ?

I've said this before. It was unpopular then and likely the same now, but if we could work a deal that brought us Mariota, I'd deal Russ in a second.

As much as I love the guy, many of my projected concerns with him are starting to materialize. Like it or not, his stature is a problem. When he does have a pocket, he won't climb it, he wants to roll to find passing lanes, instead. Now, this may be the result of him not trusting the line, but more likely, the very reason there are so few under 6' QBs in professional football.

Don't get me wrong (Anthony etc), I love this kid and it would take a very special player, like Luck or Mariota, to make me want to say good bye to Russ Wilson. And even then, such a move would be bittersweet for my tastes.

EDIT: I do understand I have left myself wide open with the above. Take your shots, but don't disappear when Mariota proves to be better than Andrew Luck and starts tearing up the NFL. I'd bank on it. Just as I said RG3 shouldn't be taken in the 1st rd, I'm saying Mariota is as can't miss as I have seen in years and I have said this since early last year. As JSeahawk will attest.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
gargantual":3ans8mm6 said:
kearly":3ans8mm6 said:
I think this was just an epically bad game by Wilson. A one percent event. The next time we see Wilson miss this many throws in a game again, he might be 35 years old.

Really? Wow. You really think it was that bad? I guess him stringing a few struggling games in a row made it seem less bad to me. Like others have said, I wonder if he's playing through injuries like many suspected last year before the playoffs. He's young and resilient enough that it's not obvious like it was with Hass, walking around hobbled most of the time the last few years.

Guy deserves a medal in my eyes. Probably a purple one.
Kearly was right, this was the worst game of Russell Wilson's career. The box score will not reveal that fact, but it was self-evident when watching Russell Wilson play today. Wilson missed on some very easy "gimmie" type throws even without being pressured.

What I have observed is that Wilson looks more skittish than normal, which was bound to happen given the circumstances.Wilson is bailing out of the pocket far earlier than he ever has, he's looking to run far more than in the past, and I noticed he is also starting to pay more attention to the rush rather than look downfield as he always has. In short, Wilson is becoming shell shocked, ala David Carr.

The most glaring side effect of being under siege consistently has been Wilson's footwork. He has developed the dreaded happy feet syndrome. I have never seen Wilson's footwork look so dreadful, even in his first year at NC State. He is throwing the ball before his feet are set, he's throwing way too much off of his back foot, and I've been noticing a disturbing amount of Tavaris Jackson style jump passes. Some of this is happening without any pressure being applied to Wilson, which is what I find to be the most disturbing fact of all.

Russell Wilson's once solid fundamentals are starting to look rather shaky. I'm worried that we are starting the process of ruining him as a player.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Wilson has by far been the most consistant contributor on the team since he has been here, he had a rough day, he will be fine.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jacknut16":18xokob3 said:
Anthony!":18xokob3 said:
rideaducati":18xokob3 said:
Russell Wilson with a career high of 9 off target passes today. I think it's less his fault and more on the O-line, but troubling none the less.

add in 4 drops and most of those off targets were under major pressure

Coming into this game we had 7 official drops, where did you get 4 today?

In their lies another thing as example what they classify as a drop. To me for the most part if it hits their hands its a drop. However most places it is not so simple and they tend to air on the side of not being a drop, as an example the drop last week by Wilson that he had and then got hit and it fell out, they do not count as a drop. I do.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jacknut16":i1lz2u5c said:
Anthony!":i1lz2u5c said:
hawksfansinceday1":i1lz2u5c said:
MontanaHawk05":i1lz2u5c said:

The Hawks have 9 drops this season, and rank 18th in drop percentage per pass, so "drop" the drop excuses already.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... tage/2014/

Yes I will stop since they do not count the Wilson drop last week were he had it and then go after being hit, I would not want to count a drop they do not count. Sarcasm off, open your eyes they are dropping catchable balls every game in the last 3-4 weeks. I do not care what that stat says, I care about if they drop a catchable ball. So no I will not drop it, when it come sot that stuff I go by if it is catchable.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkWow":12vtll3q said:
Russ had a similar slump last year, too. I attributed it to him being beaten half to death and I suppose the same, but to a lesser extent, can be said again this year. And maybe this is why Bevell has been calling some of the crap he's been calling, too. Trying to get the ball out of his hands as fast as possible (in theory). Unsure, but the Oline isn't going to get better any time soon. Our young receivers will also take time What do we do with our slumping Russ?

I've said this before. It was unpopular then and likely the same now, but if we could work a deal that brought us Mariota, I'd deal Russ in a second.

As much as I love the guy, many of my projected concerns with him are starting to materialize. Like it or not, his stature is a problem. When he does have a pocket, he won't climb it, he wants to roll to find passing lanes, instead. Now, this may be the result of him not trusting the line, but more likely, the very reason there are so few under 6' QBs in professional football.

Don't get me wrong (Anthony etc), I love this kid and it would take a very special player, like Luck or Mariota, to make me want to say good bye to Russ Wilson. And even then, such a move would be bittersweet for my tastes.

EDIT: I do understand I have left myself wide open with the above. Take your shots, but don't disappear when Mariota proves to be better than Andrew Luck and starts tearing up the NFL. I'd bank on it. Just as I said RG3 shouldn't be taken in the 1st rd, I'm saying Mariota is as can't miss as I have seen in years and I have said this since early last year. As JSeahawk will attest.

No shot needed you do not trade a top QB in his prime for a chance a guy who May be good or bad. You might think he is a cant miss, but that means nothing at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":3tfy6zpx said:
Wilson has by far been the most consistant contributor on the team since he has been here, he had a rough day, he will be fine.

Exactly the problem is he is so important to the offense, and has been able to mask so many of our issues, that when he does not, people get flustered. IN other words he has been doing so much with so little that when it catches him everyone in a while people forget what little he is working with. For example

Luck - 6th pass blocking o-line and has TY Hilton, Wyane, Nicks to throw to

Wilson 26th ranked pass blocking oline and he has Baldwin, Kearse, TE-Wilson,

Please find me one of the above QBs whose oline and WR corps are worse than ours? You cannot. he has been covering up our bad oline, lack of top notch wr/te and run game when it goes a way that people forget about those problems when he cannot. He is having to do more for this offense than any of them and also remember he is having to do it on a team not built for passing, and with very questionable play calling and design.

kearly

Reaction score
I know some may disagree, but I thought Wilson managed the pocket well today and did not bail earlier than he needed to for the most part. He was 'sacked' just one time despite horrific protection, and I use airquotes because the one sack he took was on the Auburn play. A lot of other QBs would have been sacked a bunch, so I'll credit Wilson for doing what he could to keep plays alive and trusting his pocket more than I thought he would given the circumstances.

MontanaHawk05":3ec4d353 said:

I with you on the playcalling and OL. And the drops, sort of (most of the drops were on high degree of difficulty catches or were knocked away by defenders).

But I thought his WRs did do a pretty good job of getting open. Baldwin was open all day. Richardson and Norwood seemed to get open on command. If Wilson had average accuracy today I honestly think he would have had monster numbers. We've seen Wilson thrive in the past in more arduous conditions.

My takeaway from this game is that even at his worst, Russell still largely avoids the Tony Romo styled 'wtf' interceptions. Granted, he was very lucky to avoid a couple of picks by Hayden, but I did notice that he was erring on the side of caution a lot today.

It was really annoying that with so many good things happening at RB/WR today, Wilson just couldn't cash in. But hey, great time to play a game like this, and Seattle won anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
He may need to work on some mechanical issues as well, being on the run you like a pitcher can develop some bad habits.

He may have also had the heavy ball syndrome with it raining or a situation where the ball as slicker and not coming off his hand right, something.