Russell Okung, extend or play it out?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If we are going to stick with Okung then the FO must account for the fact that he will miss some time.

seahawks3732

Reaction score
Barthawk":3nbbgqhq said:
I get the feeling that this team doesn't feel that they need top flight OL in order to succeed. I thought this when we didn't go after any mid-level FAs the past two offseasons. I think OL will constantly be a source of ire for us in the passing game, but having an extremely mobile QB does make one want to spend $$$ elsewhere.
I find that hard to agree with considering 4 out of the 5 starting OL were drafted in the first 2 rounds all since 2010

OP
OP
Barthawk

Barthawk

Reaction score
seahawks3732":2h3sf8wq said:
Barthawk":2h3sf8wq said:
I get the feeling that this team doesn't feel that they need top flight OL in order to succeed. I thought this when we didn't go after any mid-level FAs the past two offseasons. I think OL will constantly be a source of ire for us in the passing game, but having an extremely mobile QB does make one want to spend $$$ elsewhere.
I find that hard to agree with considering 4 out of the 5 starting OL were drafted in the first 2 rounds all since 2010

4/5 of the starting OL are on rookie contracts, not exactly alot of capital being put to those 5 positions. That is my point. Unger received a 2nd contract and his draft status says nothing about this regime. Furthermore, the team declined the 5th year option on Carp.

Okung/Carpenter/Moffitt were drafted when they were envisioning a pocket passer in the Bevell led offense. RW comes into view and we draft Britt at 64 and Sweezy in the 7th.. not a single other OL that has contributed significant minutes has been drafted.. Bailey UDFA, Lewis, UDFA, Schilling FA, Gilliam UDFA.

That is the point I am trying to convey. I don't believe they are willing to spend on the OL.

DJrmb

Reaction score
You might include Zach Miller as an investment in the O-line as one of the biggest reasons he was brought in was for his blocking.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The coup of finding an immediate replacement for Okung in this draft would be bigger than the Odell Beckhan Jr find last year, especially with the 31st pick. Pretty close to the coup of drafting Wilson in the third round.

I'm not convinced there is a free agent better than Okung, and I am certain that there won't be a cheaper one that is on par with him. Extend him now while you can use his injury history against him. Load it with games played/ injury clauses. If he has an injury free, high-production year, his price tag will skyrocket.

-bsd RPA

HawkFan72

Reaction score
See how the draft plays out. If we get a LT that the coaches think can be the guy, then just let Okung walk. Otherwise, it is tough to find good LTs, and Okung is a good one when he's healthy.

cacksman

Reaction score
bigskydoc":kh8yzcnq said:
The coup of finding an immediate replacement for Okung in this draft would be bigger than the Odell Beckhan Jr find last year, especially with the 31st pick. Pretty close to the coup of drafting Wilson in the third round.

I'm not convinced there is a free agent better than Okung, and I am certain that there won't be a cheaper one that is on par with him. Extend him now while you can use his injury history against him. Load it with games played/ injury clauses. If he has an injury free, high-production year, his price tag will skyrocket.

-bsd RPA

This is what I'm thinking.

Latest posts