Russell 's biggest rival in the next decade ...

AZ_fan

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2g4tqai0 said:
Who do you think, will be Russell's biggest Rival in the NFC (the guy who will prevent Russell from reaching the SB) in the next 10 years?

The salary cap.

That being said... Rodgers and Newton.

rideaducati

Reaction score
AZ_fan":1n8lyrqq said:
joeseahawks":1n8lyrqq said:
Who do you think, will be Russell's biggest Rival in the NFC (the guy who will prevent Russell from reaching the SB) in the next 10 years?

The salary cap.

I don't think so. The salary cap is increasing at a higher rate than ever before and Russell is already signed for another four years. If anything, the salary cap has HELPED the Seahawks because it has gone up so much AND at the PERFECT time for the Seahawks.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Newton:
"Newton's scramble in the game's waning seconds to pick up a first down set up Graham Gano's game-winning field goal as time expired. The rush also gave him 100 rushing yards for the day, which combined with his 340 passing yards, puts him in rarified historical air.

He is the first player in NFL history to post 340 yards in the air and 100 rush yards in the same game. He became just the second player in NFL history with 300 pass yards and 100 rush yards in the same game, joining Russell Wilson from 2014."

AZ_fan

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vjm70yi said:
AZ_fan":2vjm70yi said:
joeseahawks":2vjm70yi said:

The salary cap.

I don't think so. The salary cap is increasing at a higher rate than ever before and Russell is already signed for another four years. If anything, the salary cap has HELPED the Seahawks because it has gone up so much AND at the PERFECT time for the Seahawks.

We'll see. We saw all the internal drama his contract created this year (Wagner's tweet, Kam's holdout)... just wait till everyone else wants to get paid that hasn't been. I haven't paid much attention to Seattle's numbers but I do think I read somewhere that they are capped and haven't even felt the full force of Wilson's contract yet.

The only team in the NFL that has been consistently good over the life of the salary cap is the Pats... and that's because the only players locked into that team are Brady and Gronk. It's funny to watch the revolving door that Belichick opens every off-season. Gotta give the man credit...

AZ_fan

Reaction score
One other QB I really like...

Derek Carr. The kid has so much potential and looks great.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't believe there is anyone comparable to Russell Wilson in the league.

No one else processes those all important second basement skills.

That leaves a big empty void in the makeup of all those other quarterbacks.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'd say Cam Newton, except for the fact that they don't get to see each other that often. Next season we play the NFC South, so we'll play the Panthers -- but if the NFCS wasn't in the rotation, we'd only be seeing the Bucs or Falcons from that division. Beyond that, we only play the Panthers if we all end up ranked the same in our respective divisions.

Kaep was a good rival while it lasted.

MagHawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":wswo9l58 said:
I'd say Cam Newton, except for the fact that they don't get to see each other that often.

Except we have faced them what, 5 times in the last four years?

I think they will always push the Cam/Russell rivalry because of the type of QB they are, and they will face each other sporadically like Manning/Brady in the past.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":371panuv said:
Hawknballs":371panuv said:
Unless GB gets a new coach it'll be Cam. McCarthy kinda blows.

I haven't looked, but what is the cap situation look like for the Panthers? Are they running with a few stars on rookie deals that will be coming to an end shortly? If so, that could really have an impact on how good Cam is moving forward.

Depending on what side you're on, I'd say two years ago it was an unmitigated disaster, now there's light at the end of the tunnel. The light may be slightly dimmer than previously thought with Norman and Short playing so well-Norman expected to get the tag or a long term deal this offseason and Short the year after that, but first world problems I guess. They'll eventually have 5th year options on Lotulelei and Benjamin years down the road. Kuechly is under contract until 2022.

The biggest albatross which will soon be set free is Charles Johnson's absurd $20+ mil per.

Threedee

Reaction score
It's too bad Mariota and Winston aren't in the same conference. Then we could simultaneously have a rivalry between them and Wilson-Newton. The winners of each rivalry could then potentially square-off in the SB...

Subzero717

Reaction score
Cam. Not close. Both in very goid organizations with stable otwnership. Rodgers is in his 30's, oft injured and has 5 years of great production left.

zhawk

Reaction score
Mcgruff, Please take that back. I don't want my qb to be anything like brady as a person. I can't stand him. He should realize that last years SB win was due to many factors that were not caused by him. He may have taken advantage of a weakened team and then passes it off as his greatness. dbag :pukeface:

Kaiser

Reaction score
since kaepernick and RG3 have been vanquished into "never was" territory, all thats left is Cam Newton. rodgers is too old, thats like saying michael vick had a rivalry with vinny testaverde.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season and in the post-season, the next time Panthers and Seahawks play (and it looks like we are scheduled to play them in the regular season in 2016), it will likely be one of the most watched national-coverage games in a while. Panthers are the new 49ers. Seahawks are Seahawks. Combined 17 to start the Pro Bowl plus a bunch of alternates -- that's a lot of top-tier talent.

Rob12

Reaction score
Yeah, it's Cam, because the NFL is gearing towards that. It's their next Manning/Brady QB rivalry.

If not, why else would we be scheduled to play the Panthers for what, three straight years? Four?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I agree, it's Cam and not even close. If both teams continue to have the level of success they have demonstrated over the last few years, we will continue to face off in critical games. Playoffs and rotationaly scheduled. Still, it doesn't have quite the feeling of the classic, mutually respectful rivalry. Maybe because I'm not yet convinced that Newton is in the same league as Wilson. He has tremendous athleticism, but I feel he owes much of his success to Rivera and the system (sound familiar?)

If realignment were to occur, I would go with Osweiler. What a great contrast of physical traits and styles. Both have pretty stellar off field reputations and attitudes. Either/ both could be the next "face" of the NFL. Both are with stellar organizations who know how to build and maintain a supporting cast that will set them up for success. I believe that both are destined for multiple Superb Owl appearances, and I hope we get to see them facing off against one another on that field.

-bsd

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":240ofdrc said:
Rodgers looks awfully mortal without Jordy Nelson

Without Jordy Nelson he has 3400 yards, 29 TDS, and 6 INTs. That's definitely "mortal" for Rodgers, but not for other people (e.g. Wilson has 3500 yards, 29 TDS, and 7 INTS).

Edit: FWIW I don't think the lack of Nelson is really that big of a deal for Rodgers. It's that the running game has been a disaster this year, Cobb has done nothing, and defenses don't have to worry about a single person on that offense except for Rodgers.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Rob12":t8icihy3 said:
Yeah, it's Cam, because the NFL is gearing towards that. It's their next Manning/Brady QB rivalry.

If not, why else would we be scheduled to play the Panthers for what, three straight years? Four?

The schedule is all mathematical and based on where you finish in the standings. We keep playing the Panthers because we keep finishing the same place in our respective divisions. We'll play them again next year because its our turn to play the NFC South.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2lj7emz4 said:
Newton:
"Newton's scramble in the game's waning seconds to pick up a first down set up Graham Gano's game-winning field goal as time expired. The rush also gave him 100 rushing yards for the day, which combined with his 340 passing yards, puts him in rarified historical air.

He is the first player in NFL history to post 340 yards in the air and 100 rush yards in the same game. He became just the second player in NFL history with 300 pass yards and 100 rush yards in the same game, joining Russell Wilson from 2014."
Wow, people will do anything to make someone the first at doing something. Who cares if he threw 340 and Russ threw 339. The fact is, Russ was the first to do 300/100. They both are in great company with that stat.