Russell 's biggest rival in the next decade ...

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Winston ... is an intriguing personality. From a personality stand point, I believe his off the field decision making might always keep him in the headlines for bad reasons.
I also seem to believe that Winston is out there to prove others wrong, rather than trying to become the best of the best. He sounds like the type of person, who could very quickly just become satisfied ...But maybe my perception is wrong ...
Rat":mkcc51q1 said:
Jameis Winston, although I'd like it to be Kirk Cousins.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1i8wfzd8 said:
Despite all these qualities, I'm sure he is not alone. There is probably another guy out there, willing to match stride for stride Russell's work ethic, drive for success, ... etc. I believe Manning and Brady (Pats and Colts) push each other... I believe one saw the other one as the main hurdle to success. I don't believe Russell is unique in the world with these qualities ...
Scottemojo":1i8wfzd8 said:
For the most part, rivalries are a media creation.
Like any QB intent on greatness, Russell's greatest rival for the next decade is injury, a bad GM, complacency, and a bad coaching staff. The rest is media drivel, those things, plus a few I likely omitted, are what Russell has to overcome to get greatness.
This isn't the Highlander. there can be more than one. Fouts and Marino made the HOF without a single SB ring, and Dilfer will not ever make the HOF with one.
I don't believe in rivalries between individuals in the NFL. Teams? Sure. But not individual players. Those are media creations.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out Tyrod Taylor of the Bills. (if the discussion includes AFC) The team had a disappointing season adjusting to Rex Ryan's system, but TT was a bright light. He was out with an injury for a few games that showed up in the loss column. He's 26 years old. Time will tell whether Buffalo has the patience to stick with him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It's looking like QB play won't be nearly as spectacular five years from now. But on the bright side, maybe this will lead to a revolution in the running game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3s4xycnr said:
Despite all these qualities, I'm sure he is not alone. There is probably another guy out there, willing to match stride for stride Russell's work ethic, drive for success, ... etc. I believe Manning and Brady (Pats and Colts) push each other... I believe one saw the other one as the main hurdle to success. I don't believe Russell is unique in the world with these qualities ...
Scottemojo":3s4xycnr said:
Like any QB intent on greatness, Russell's greatest rival for the next decade is injury, a bad GM, complacency, and a bad coaching staff. The rest is media drivel, those things, plus a few I likely omitted, are what Russell has to overcome to get greatness.
I absolutely do not agree with the word " Probably"^
Russell Wilson came out of the Draft chute swinging for the fences and he has shown improvement in each successive Season since.... It's taken Cam Newton quite a bit longer to start getting 'IT' and even at that?, he's still not as refined as Russell Wilson was last Year, nor even the Year before that.
Russ is a true warrior with a big leading edge on his nearest young competitors, and "Probably" is a very loaded word, for if there is "Another Guy Out There", I've yet to see any indicators.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":316jycww said:
This isn't the Highlander. there can be more than one. Fouts and Marino made the HOF without a single SB ring, and Dilfer will not ever make the HOF with one. I don't believe in rivalries between individuals in the NFL. Teams? Sure. But not individual players. Those are media creations.

Rodgers went out of his way to make fun of Wilson after finally beating the Seahawks. I don't get the sense that Wilson and Rodgers have the same kind of respectful relationship that Brady and Manning have. I think there is the beginnings of a legit rivalry there.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":1inc7xkc said:
Scottemojo":1inc7xkc said:
This isn't the Highlander. there can be more than one. Fouts and Marino made the HOF without a single SB ring, and Dilfer will not ever make the HOF with one. I don't believe in rivalries between individuals in the NFL. Teams? Sure. But not individual players. Those are media creations.

Rodgers went out of his way to make fun of Wilson after finally beating the Seahawks. I don't get the sense that Wilson and Rodgers have the same kind of respectful relationship that Brady and Manning have. I think there is the beginnings of a legit rivalry there.

There wasn't respect there at first, it took a Super Bowl win by Manning for Brady to back off.

Rob12

Reaction score
In the NFC, it'll be Rodgers and Cam. He already has a big leg up on both of them, so they have a lot of catching up to do.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":t12zv6aq said:
joeseahawks":t12zv6aq said:
Scottemojo":t12zv6aq said:
This isn't the Highlander. there can be more than one. Fouts and Marino made the HOF without a single SB ring, and Dilfer will not ever make the HOF with one.
I don't believe in rivalries between individuals in the NFL. Teams? Sure. But not individual players. Those are media creations.

And the media created by the NFL needs more creations to keep the story line going. The next superman needs to be kept in the limelight as long as it can sell shirts. Even if it is Bizarro Superman. :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

randomation

Reaction score
Rat":1gq8ncww said:
Jameis Winston, although I'd like it to be Kirk Cousins.

Kirk would be really interesting because MSU stopped Russ from having a chance to play for the national championship on Kirk's Hail Mary.

Boycie

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2bl168s1 said:
Unless GB gets a new coach it'll be Cam. McCarthy kinda blows.

I haven't looked, but what is the cap situation look like for the Panthers? Are they running with a few stars on rookie deals that will be coming to an end shortly? If so, that could really have an impact on how good Cam is moving forward.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
With Cam, already 4 games against one another, Wilson 4-1 vs. Cam, once in the playoffs. Panthers people have always felt like they were close to knocking us off the past few years (and just came up short) even in 2013. We'll likely face them in round two this year of the playoffs during their undefeated run. Wilson has a Carolina connection, NC State people love him, UNC/Duke people don't really like him that much. Seahawks have a history vs. Carolina considering in 2005-06 we beat them to go to the Super Bowl.

Now, most likely Wilson is 3rd in MVP running for the season in which Cam wins it.

Funny thing is, its a similar story with Wilson vs. Rodgers up until this point (he has a Wisconsin connection, 3-1 vs the Packers so far, beat them to go to the Super Bowl).

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Russell Wilson
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston
Johnny Manziel

The NFC's next batch of top5 QBs will be a media wet dream. The "NFC-style QB" will be the athletic dual-threat type that will dominate the stat sheets in both rushing and passing. At this point, all we need is Manziel to go to Dallas.

The NFC will dominate the league with versatile QBs, great RBs, and dominating defenses.

seahawks08

Reaction score
David Carr would be if they figure out the move and the coaching staff can do a good job coaching him and all other distractions aside. I think he has more upside. Luck has the skills, but he is put in a position to not succeed. It is unfortunate, if they build a team around him knowing his strengths and weakness, they would have done well. A biggest thing for a QB is confidence, when you shatter it by not putting a great system around, they digress and form, throwing action and all of that stuff goes out the window. Who would want to get beat up all the time, it kind of take a toll in your body. Bridgewater also has a lots of upside, the team is building around a good run game and a defensive philosophy. If your QB has to throw more and carry your team every time, it gets to you at some point, unless you are Brady.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lots of great choices here.
Scotte has some great points about this being a media creation and irrelevant, but an archrival always makes for a good storyline.

To be truly meaningful, I think such rivalries have to include some playoff context. Who ended who's season in the playoffs? Now THAT is a rivalry. Russelll ended Rodgers season last year. Russell will likely have to outgun at least a couple of the following in the playoffs: Cam, Rodgers, Cousins, Palmer. Palmer only has a couple seasons left in the body so that's a shorter term rivalry.

When playoff knockouts and 5+ year time horizon enter the picture, the list shortens to Rodgers and Cam with Cousins as a darkhorse.