Russell Wilson expects Seahawks to franchise tag him in 2020

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2knb53vx said:
Sgt. Largent":2knb53vx said:
Franchise tag is a very real possibility.

I don't think John and Pete, for as much as they love Russell are very excited about giving him a Matt Ryan extension at 32M+ a year for the next 5-6 years.

So it makes sense to franchise Russell and see if we can find another QB in the draft over the next couple years.

But like I've said numerous times, you don't let Russell go without having his replacement ready to take over the offense, and right now that doesn't exist.................so franchise.

These dumb ass contracts are going to change how teams think. It will no longer be automatic to re-sign franchise QB's. It is no coincidence that many SB's are being won by QB's on their rookie deals, or under payed "lessor" QB's. They can spend money other places and be dominant. (Steelers, Ravens. Seahawks, Eagles.....ect).

Contracts like that are going to ruin the game, and bring HATE to the franchise QB near you. Write that story CornFlorio!! :17:

It certainly is changing how teams think.

Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the league, and the Packers still haven't given him his extension. The Ravens just spent a #1 on Jackson cause they already got burned with one Flacco extension, and don't want to do another. Skins refused to give Cousins a monster extension, and I betcha they'll be just as good without him.

The data is out there, and it isn't good. Teams that break the bank giving their "elite" QB's huge extensions have't fared well after trying to piece together a SB caliber roster with their QB soaking up almost 20% of the cap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, we are talking about a situation that hasn't happened as if it might be true, based upon an unnamed source believed to have knowledge of the situation? OK, right, whatever? Wake me up please when this becomes a real problem.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t4ptk0bh said:
Seymour":t4ptk0bh said:
Sgt. Largent":t4ptk0bh said:

I don't think John and Pete, for as much as they love Russell are very excited about giving him a Matt Ryan extension at 32M+ a year for the next 5-6 years.

So it makes sense to franchise Russell and see if we can find another QB in the draft over the next couple years.

But like I've said numerous times, you don't let Russell go without having his replacement ready to take over the offense, and right now that doesn't exist.................so franchise.

These dumb ass contracts are going to change how teams think. It will no longer be automatic to re-sign franchise QB's. It is no coincidence that many SB's are being won by QB's on their rookie deals, or under payed "lessor" QB's. They can spend money other places and be dominant. (Steelers, Ravens. Seahawks, Eagles.....ect).

Contracts like that are going to ruin the game, and bring HATE to the franchise QB near you. Write that story CornFlorio!! :17:

It certainly is changing how teams think.

Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the league, and the Packers still haven't given him his extension.
The Ravens just spent a #1 on Jackson cause they already got burned with one Flacco extension, and don't want to do another. Skins refused to give Cousins a monster extension, and I betcha they'll be just as good without him.

The data is out there, and it isn't good. Teams that break the bank giving their "elite" QB's huge extensions have't fared well after trying to piece together a SB caliber roster with their QB soaking up almost 20% of the cap.

Rodgers still has 2 years left just like Russell, that is more media hype....no rush on him. Not everyone is buying into the "scalp the team if you are a franchise QB" either!
Drew Brees signed a 2 year, $50,000,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $10,500,000 signing bonus, $27,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $25,000,000. In 2018, Brees will earn a base salary of $10,200,000, a signing bonus of $13,500,000 and a roster bonus of $3,300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $24,000,000 and a dead cap value of $45,000,000.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1qqwdyil said:
Rodgers still has 2 years left just like Russell, that is more media hype....no rush on him. Not everyone is buying into the "scalp the team if you are a franchise QB" either!
Drew Brees signed a 2 year, $50,000,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $10,500,000 signing bonus, $27,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $25,000,000. In 2018, Brees will earn a base salary of $10,200,000, a signing bonus of $13,500,000 and a roster bonus of $3,300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $24,000,000 and a dead cap value of $45,000,000.

Yep, if you have a QB like Brady or Brees that isn't hell bent on breaking salary records you can still be competitive.

But is Russell in the Brady/Brees camp? Or is he in the Flacco/Ryan/Rodgers camp? Russell's already altered his contract to help the team, so I hope he's more in the Brady/Brees camp, but we won't know.

Because that difference of 10M per year is 1-2 impact players.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
It make sense that'd he would wait for Rodgers since Jameis and Mariota havent shown enough to get record breaking deals. Last go round Russel and his agent waited for Cam Newton to get paid first since they use to share the same agent, since Cam and Luck wont be FA till 2021 he cant use them.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":pu50l0s0 said:
Seymour":pu50l0s0 said:

Yep, if you have a QB like Brady or Brees that isn't hell bent on breaking salary records you can still be competitive.

But is Russell in the Brady/Brees camp? Or is he in the Flacco/Ryan/Rodgers camp? Russell's already altered his contract to help the team, so I hope he's more in the Brady/Brees camp, but we won't know.

Because that difference of 10M per year is 1-2 impact players.

I prefer to avoid that part of the Florio hype, not there yet. But to be clear, Russell sacrificed nothing "to help the team", he just had money converted to bonus which actually gave him more cash last year that got pushed back to "help" kill the cap later. He also was not easy to sign to his first extension....so I'm 50/50 on him giving for the team.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
pmedic920":1m7ij6y9 said:
chawx":1m7ij6y9 said:
My friend works with a guy who's cousin has a kid who was in the hospital in Seattle and actually met Russell when he visited one day said that Russell said he doesn't expect to be franchised and that he's going to take Tom Brady-type pay so the Hawks can sign other guys.

My mom’s hair stylist has a son that dates a chic, that chic hasn’t spoken to anybody and she doesn’t know anybody related to the Seattle Seahawks.

That chic says that we won’t know anything about future contracts until we know about them.

That being said, with a 100 million guaranteed contract already being out there, rest assured, Wilson won’t be cheap to keep.
This was my first thought. I've heard of that chic. My brother's girlfriend knows her. They went to different High Schools together.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3skzko5i said:
I prefer to avoid that part of the Florio hype, not there yet. But to be clear, Russell sacrificed nothing "to help the team", he just had money converted to bonus which actually gave him more cash last year that got pushed back to "help" kill the cap later. He also was not easy to sign to his first extension....so I'm 50/50 on him giving for the team.

Yep, that's about where I am.

Also remember as everyone brings up QB's like Brady and Brees, they're on their what? 3rd or 4th extension? Hell in Brady's case, it might be 5th or 6th extension.

Russell's had one big payday, so I highly doubt this is the point in his prime that he accepts less to help the team. Because he knows if we don't pay him, someone else with far more cap and is desperate to turn their team around will.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Interesting reading. I'm betting we franchise Russell for a few years.

I get it. The NFL is a quarterbacks league. You can’t win without a good one, and you can’t get a good one without paying A LOT of money for him. That’s why good-but-not-great quarterbacks like Matthew Stafford sign for record money and everybody celebrates the deal. That’s why the Redskins get ripped for refusing to give an above average quarterback the biggest contract in NFL history.

Here’s the problem with that sentiment: There is no proof that paying for a quarterback leads to winning. In fact, there is basically no correlation between a quarterback’s compensation and how many games he wins. We did the math.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-qu ... ree-agency

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2xl2onac said:
Interesting reading. I'm betting we franchise Russell for a few years.

I get it. The NFL is a quarterbacks league. You can’t win without a good one, and you can’t get a good one without paying A LOT of money for him. That’s why good-but-not-great quarterbacks like Matthew Stafford sign for record money and everybody celebrates the deal. That’s why the Redskins get ripped for refusing to give an above average quarterback the biggest contract in NFL history.

Here’s the problem with that sentiment: There is no proof that paying for a quarterback leads to winning. In fact, there is basically no correlation between a quarterback’s compensation and how many games he wins. We did the math.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-qu ... ree-agency

From that article.....this is exactly what I'm talking about.
Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback I’ve ever seen, yet he hasn’t made it back to a Super Bowl since signing his mega deal. Drew Brees is a top-five quarterback all-time in my book, and he hasn’t been close since cracking the $20-million-per-year barrier. Same goes for Russell Wilson.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The trade-off for every franchise QB is whether to trying to squeeze every penny they can out of their contract OR whether to sign a smaller deal that provides their team with enough cap flexibility to contend, which leads to more endorsement money down the road.

Brees signed a relatively smaller deal recently ($25 million APY), which has the Saints in a position to contend for a Super Bowl. In comparison, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, etc. are unlikely to contend at their current salary rate. A few million in cap flexibility can go a long way.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sweet!!!

3-13 should get us a great new QB prospect! :irishdrinkers:

Bob bell bozo

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well there it is, not favored in games that don't start for 4 months. May as well pack it in :34853_doh:
These people must really get bored, bottom of barrel stuff.

AgentDib

Reaction score
No harm in discussing the topic but Florio isn't a source for anything but click-bait conjecture. I know it's the title of the article, but "RW expects Seahawks to franchise tag.." isn't a great title here as inevitably the credulous posters treat it like a real news source.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Seahawks/status/993934772526235648[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/993923261179162624[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":d8lakug0 said:
No harm in discussing the topic but Florio isn't a source for anything but click-bait conjecture. I know it's the title of the article, but "RW expects Seahawks to franchise tag.." isn't a great title here as inevitably the credulous posters treat it like a real news source.

I don't think anyone is taking what Florio writes as gospel, but it's an interesting conversation none the less.

Is Russell worth the extension?
Should we franchise him if it comes to a contract dispute?

adeltaY

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":220235yt said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Seahawks/status/993934772526235648[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/993923261179162624[/tweet]

Strongly agree with Brock. I don't think we have to have the best play action passing game, but if we can employ some of the creativity BoB and Shanahan have shown with the play action game, Russ will do much better. That historically good 2016 Falcons offense used play action very frequently. We don't have the pieces to be that great, but we shouldn't have to be.

To be really specific, it'd be cool if we copied the exact same play that Watson threw the second TD to Fuller against. Wide receiver motion to play action fake to fake bubble screen (with a pump fake) to corner-route TD pass. As a fan, I'd like to see the Seahawks pull that off at least once. Preferably against the Rams. :stirthepot:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":w9deifmc said:
Sgt. Largent":w9deifmc said:

Contracts like that (Ryan / Cousins) are going to ruin the game, and bring HATE to the franchise QB near you. Write that story CornFlorio!! :17:
I totally agree.....The greed is getting totally out of hand, and it's RUINING the game.
I love me some Russell Wilson, BUT NOT if his Manager is hell-bent on scuttling the whole franchise for his client.