Russell Wilson expects Seahawks to franchise tag him in 2020

rcaido

Reaction score
I heard from someone from Microsoft that Paul Allen traveled to the future to talk to John Connor. They are planning to send Russel T-2020 to replace the T-2012. The T-2012 got corrupted by women, fame, money, & mostly CaVell. We will get a team friendly contract w/ a prime Wilson. No distractions, no overthrows, & line to protect him.

In all seriousness, they may franchise Russell for one year & then sign him to another big contract. As much as we all focus on winning, sometimes owners would rather make money or have a marquee player. Wilson will be an ambassador of the sport, there would be no one left if he leaves. Seahawks fan will never forgive the Seahawks if they let Wilson in his prime walk.

rjdriver

Reaction score
These owners have dug another hole they will have to “lock out” the players to remedy, just like they had to when they let the rookie deals spiral out of control on the last CBA. Considering how über successful these guys are, it bewilders me that they just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

rjdriver

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2t3umhic said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/993876187750465536[/tweet]

Pick em’ at home against SAN DIEGO* ?

Wow....

chris98251

Reaction score
Well a position cap per year is the only way they are going to stop the insanity and the Players won't like it much.

rjdriver

Reaction score
chris98251":2j5zuv1y said:
Well a position cap per year is the only way they are going to stop the insanity and the Players won't like it much.

Could mean more overall money to go around to the other positions though, don’t you think? I mean QB and superstars might hate it, but if less cap money is being utilized on a single position, It’s conceivable that the majority of players could actually benefit.

chris98251

Reaction score
rjdriver":25x64v79 said:
chris98251":25x64v79 said:

Could mean more overall money to go around to the other positions though, don’t you think? I mean QB and superstars might hate it, but if less cap money is being utilized on a single position, It’s conceivable that the majority of players could actually benefit.

Yes those second teir players O linemen that are not LT's ,Safties, DT'S, etc would get a bigger paycheck.

original poster

Reaction score
I cannot believe people are questioning if Russell Wilson should be extended.

I'm all for the franchise tag in 2020 and 2021 but not because I don't want to see Russ get a long term deal, I'm all for it purely down to agreeing it's best to see exactly what happens with the new CBA.

I doubt player salaries will be capped, but even if they are it will grow by a certain amount or percentage each year. It could well pay off though to have him tagged in 2020 and 2021.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The NFL has the perfect formula for parity with a rigid team salary cap and no limits on individual pay. As a result, players are paid based on what teams think their actual value will be to the upcoming seasons. The benefit of having a superstar is offset by the cost of paying them like one, and at the end of the day you have to be doing something very wrong to be consistently bad and very right to be consistently good.

The NBA individual caps are a disaster for parity. For example, LeBron is worth double what he is getting paid, so any team he goes to automatically has a hugely increased chance of winning. That's fun if you just want to see the marquee players group up and win lots of rings but it isn't good for overall balance between the teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":3nhh2bfo said:

I'm all for the franchise tag in 2020 and 2021 but not because I don't want to see Russ get a long term deal, I'm all for it purely down to agreeing it's best to see exactly what happens with the new CBA.

I doubt player salaries will be capped, but even if they are it will grow by a certain amount or percentage each year. It could well pay off though to have him tagged in 2020 and 2021.

You're contradicting yourself.

You say you can't believe people might not want to see Russell get extended, but then you're OK with franchising him. Those are two very different things, both roster and cap wise.

Personally I don't think we have a choice with Russell until we draft or acquire another above average to elite QB..............OR Pete and John assemble another all time great defense where we could win another SB with an average QB and kick ass run game.

Because right now? This team is a 4-5 win team without Russell, and even that might be generous.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":17d959va said:

There is a point of diminishing return on the dollar for every player, Russell included. Russell is my favorite Hawk, but that does not mean to me that there is not a cost that is too high to pay him. We are approaching that real quick, so I have no problem questioning the cost at a certain point myself.

2021 franchise tag would cost us $36.4M. Nope....Bye Russell.

More proof of "the problem"....
The top of the quarterback market has seen remarkable growth in the last year, with deals rising by approximately 22 percent during this span. By contrast, high-end quarterback contracts increased by just under 23 percent in the first 52 months after Aaron Rodgers became the NFL's highest paid player in April 2013 with a five-year, $110 million extension.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":33x74833 said:
original poster":33x74833 said:

There is a point of diminishing return on the dollar for every player, Russell included. Russell is my favorite Hawk, but that does not mean to me that there is not a cost that is too high to pay him. We are approaching that real quick, so I have no problem questioning the cost at a certain point myself.

2021 franchise tag would cost us $36.4M. Nope....Bye Russell.

More proof of "the problem"....
The top of the quarterback market has seen remarkable growth in the last year, with deals rising by approximately 22 percent during this span. By contrast, high-end quarterback contracts increased by just under 23 percent in the first 52 months after Aaron Rodgers became the NFL's highest paid player in April 2013 with a five-year, $110 million extension.

I can't believe I'm saying this since I love Russ and what he brings to the team, but I agree with Seymour here. There is a price that we should not pay as it dilutes the rest of the team. Top QBs always make their team competitive, and usually end up in the post-season frequently. But top teams win Super Bowls.

Reaction score
Wilson wants to own a sports team one day. No way in hell does he take a single dime less than he thinks he is worth.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
You could Franchise Tag him. You can't really let him go until you get something better lined up. I like Russell Wilson a lot. But is he worth these crazy $30 million a year contracts they are now throwing around for a long term deal? IDK? And this is coming from somebody who actually likes him. I follow the Wisconsin Badgers and am a fan of them. He played QB there. I've known of Russell Wilson for a long time and liked his game. He is talented and has won. Albeit with a great, great defense backing him up. I don't know if he is the type of guy to put the team on his back and carry them to the Super Bowl like Tom Brady. He did get there with a super elite defense and a Beast mode RB. But I don't think that is the same thing as carrying the team by yourself to the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong. I like Russell Wilson and think he is very talented in some ways. It's just is he worth these huge long term deals they are throwing around now a days?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I think you pay a QB that kind of salary if they can legitimately carry a team like Rodgers (when he is not injured), but as good as RW is...I don't think he's good enough to carry the team. I'm not saying RW isn't great, I just don't think he's the 1 of 3 QBs that can carry a team and therefore should not get paid like one. But he'll probably want that money and sadly I'd rather watch the Hawks move on and have an overall greater team than be top heavy with 1 extremely good mobile QB.

If the Eagles have shown anything with their BACKUP QB winning it all, maybe the QB position shouldn't be valued as high as it is provided the coaching and FO can get the team around him appropriate with that saved QB $.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":22g1mrfn said:
I think you pay a QB that kind of salary if they can legitimately carry a team like Rodgers (when he is not injured), but as good as RW is...I don't think he's good enough to carry the team. I'm not saying RW isn't great, I just don't think he's the 1 of 3 QBs that can carry a team and therefore should not get paid like one. But he'll probably want that money and sadly I'd rather watch the Hawks move on and have an overall greater team than be top heavy with 1 extremely good mobile QB.

If the Eagles have shown anything with their BACKUP QB winning it all, maybe the QB position shouldn't be valued as high as it is provided the coaching and FO can get the team around him appropriate with that saved QB $.

All the Eagles showed is that if you have a great young QB still on his rookie deal that you can afford to pay a backup like Foles 7-8M...............as we did when Russell was on his rookie deal, we could afford a backup like Jackson.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1o5o05zt said:

Yes I agree with a lot of this. But....... Foles is an EXTREMELY HIGH END BACKUP. You have to remember he was at a Pro Bowl level and is 6'5" 240 lbs. with a big league arm. He was the next big thing before he dropped off and struggled. But at one time he was playing at a super high level. So maybe sitting down got him out of his bad habits, got the second guessing out of his mind and he just played ball when he got back in there. I'm just saying Foles when playing at his top level best play is far better than most backups in this league. He certainly was playing his best in the playoffs. I thought his NFC Championship game and Super Bowl he was outstanding and playing at an elite level.

With all that said I don't think Wilson is the type of guy who can put a team on his back and take them to the Super Bowl. He made Super Bowls but he had a SUPER ELITE DEFENSE backing him up and holding the other team down. Plus he had a Beast Mode RB who can carry 5 guys on his back on his way to the first down and moving the chains. Plus in those years I think his O Line was certainly much better than what he has now and his WR's were better than what he has now. The bottom line is he had lots and lots of help. He didn't do it by himself.

Brady on the other hand has literally had years where his defense is ranked like in the 20's. Plus no elite WR's other than Randy Moss. But with the exception of Moss he had a bunch of marginal guys who he made look good with his pin point accuracy. Yes he has Gronk at TE. But he didn't always have that either earlier in his career. The point is with a few exceptions his 5 - 3 (8 times in the Super Bowl) lacked very elite defenses for the most part. It also lacked very elite WR's with the exception of Moss for a while. He also NEVER had a Beast Mode RB. He kind of would drag his teams into the Super Bowl because he is that good although people don't like to admit it. But I don't see how anybody could deny it anymore at this point. I used to even deny it early in his career. It just doesn't make sense to deny it anymore. It's a lot of Brady. A huge amount of Brady is why they had that run obviously.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think there's a question about whether Russ is talented enough to "carry at team." He is, and can do much more than simply pass the ball like Brady.

But it requires a coaching staff that will call plays that take advantage of his strengths, and what the Defense is giving them. When Russ was passing a lot in 2015, he carried the team. He's shown he can do it. It's the play-calling that has diminished his opportunities. The problem isn't Russ.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
We are going to see if he can carry this team for the next year or two. The FO will have a lot of evidence on way or the other.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ma82oty said:
ZagHawk":3ma82oty said:

All the Eagles showed is that if you have a great young QB still on his rookie deal that you can afford to pay a backup like Foles 7-8M...............as we did when Russell was on his rookie deal, we could afford a backup like Jackson.

And we won how many playoff games and Super Bowls with Jackson?

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7yz275l9 said:
original poster":7yz275l9 said:

You're contradicting yourself.

You say you can't believe people might not want to see Russell get extended, but then you're OK with franchising him. Those are two very different things, both roster and cap wise.

Personally I don't think we have a choice with Russell until we draft or acquire another above average to elite QB..............OR Pete and John assemble another all time great defense where we could win another SB with an average QB and kick ass run game.

Because right now? This team is a 4-5 win team without Russell, and even that might be generous.

People are not questioning if Russ should get an extension for the same reason as I am.

They are questioning if he is worthwhile at a given price to the team. I am questioning if it makes more sense to hold off of an extension until the CBA has been finalised.

If the CBA wasn't being renewed shortly I would be 100% on board with paying Russ whatever it takes.