Russell Wilson expects Seahawks to franchise tag him in 2020

original poster

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1g5zp2lk said:
He paid $194 million for the franchise and contributed an additional $130 million toward construction of a new stadium in Seattle. The team is now worth $1.25 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.Jan 30, 2014

Seahawks beat Microsoft as investment for billionaire Paul Allen | The ...
https://www.seattletimes.com/.../seahaw ... onaire-p...

The 1.25 billion was in January 2014. I couldn't find any updated current numbers. But at least it gives you an idea.

Valued at $2.425B as of September 2017 according to Forbes :2thumbs:

erik2690

Reaction score
original poster":2spm67u6 said:
KitsapGuy":2spm67u6 said:
He paid $194 million for the franchise and contributed an additional $130 million toward construction of a new stadium in Seattle. The team is now worth $1.25 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.Jan 30, 2014

Seahawks beat Microsoft as investment for billionaire Paul Allen | The ...
https://www.seattletimes.com/.../seahaw ... onaire-p...

The 1.25 billion was in January 2014. I couldn't find any updated current numbers. But at least it gives you an idea.

Valued at $2.425B as of September 2017 according to Forbes :2thumbs:

I'm not in the betting scene so I don't know much but based on all sports talk I've heard in the last week I think that number likely just jumped in a big way. People I listen to on sports seem to think football and baseball benefited most from the gambling legalization decision. I'd say easily 3 billion now and maybe substantially more.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It looks to me like the hawks are trying to line backer and DE tag him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3mqmlnnk said:
Just a reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oDWyeRoHgA&t=6s

Defense + run game won us...

NOTHING.

Marshawn Lynch + Defense + top paid O line = 7-9 and 7-9

Absolutely.

A top 10 QB on a team in transition or "rebuilding" means the difference between 9-7 and 4-12. So I am taking that into consideration when I say I think we're in the 9-7 range. Offense hopefully will be OK with the run game and Russell...................... but too many question marks on defense for me to have a lot of faith past 9-7, especially on the D-line.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russell does not expect the team to use the tag on him. It's all part of the game. He fully expects to be one of the three highest paid QBs in the NFL, and will probably threaten until the day before camp again. Not buying a minute of any of it.

Tical21

Reaction score
Gall darnit. What defense won nothing for us? The defense with a rookie Sherman, no Avril and Bennett, no Wagner, a rookie Kam? That defense won nothing for us? Get outta here. I hate to break it to you, but two years later, that team would have won a Super Bowl with Koy Detmer. But I hate to ruin a good narrative.

original poster

Reaction score
Tical21":1xsn2eun said:
Russell does not expect the team to use the tag on him. It's all part of the game. He fully expects to be one of the three highest paid QBs in the NFL, and will probably threaten until the day before camp again. Not buying a minute of any of it.

You think they will extend him regardless of the uncertainty of the CBA?

Tical21

Reaction score
original poster":3oavfs7y said:
Tical21":3oavfs7y said:

Absolutely. Schneider believes Russell is the greatest player in the NFL and wants him desperately as the face of his franchise. For the record, I would not pay Russell, but have zero doubt that Schneider will.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2gokeym6 said:
original poster":2gokeym6 said:
Tical21":2gokeym6 said:

Absolutely. Schneider believes Russell is the greatest player in the NFL and wants him desperately as the face of his franchise. For the record, I would not pay Russell, but have zero doubt that Schneider will.
This is JS weakness,I bet he green light the Harvin deal and every bad deal we have made.
I am not high on JS and contracts/trades,,
A record setting contract on an aging RW is just what he would do..Who cares what it looks like
2-3 years after that..The guy has very short sighted vision..

SeaWolv

Reaction score
original poster":10spx8ud said:
SeaWolv":10spx8ud said:
chawx":10spx8ud said:
My friend works with a guy who's cousin has a kid who was in the hospital in Seattle and actually met Russell when he visited one day said that Russell said he doesn't expect to be franchised and that he's going to take Tom Brady-type pay so the Hawks can sign other guys.

I know this is a joke but I'm of the opinion, from what little I know about RW, that he would most likely be the kind of team player that wouldn't require being the highest paid QB in hopes of having some talent around him that helps him win.

With his aspirations to own a pro team later in life I'd say he will want every single penny he can get.

Couple of things we know about RW:

1. He's intelligent.
2. He's a strong Christian.

Because I know these things about RW I feel confident in saying that he may want to be paid in the top 5 but not necessarily in the top 3. I suspect he will take a page out of Brady's book in order to have money to spend on a serviceable OL and some decent receivers. After all if he decides to be greedy and go for "every penny" as you suggest he may end up inadvertently cutting his career short due to injury from lack of protection and that would certainly derail his ability to be a pro team owner.

original poster

Reaction score
SeaWolv":26qq3q7s said:
original poster":26qq3q7s said:
SeaWolv":26qq3q7s said:
chawx":26qq3q7s said:
My friend works with a guy who's cousin has a kid who was in the hospital in Seattle and actually met Russell when he visited one day said that Russell said he doesn't expect to be franchised and that he's going to take Tom Brady-type pay so the Hawks can sign other guys.

I know this is a joke but I'm of the opinion, from what little I know about RW, that he would most likely be the kind of team player that wouldn't require being the highest paid QB in hopes of having some talent around him that helps him win.

With his aspirations to own a pro team later in life I'd say he will want every single penny he can get.

1. He's intelligent.

Because I know these things about RW I feel confident in saying that he may want to be paid in the top 5 but not necessarily in the top 3. I suspect he will take a page out of Brady's book in order to have money to spend on a serviceable OL and some decent receivers. After all if he decides to be greedy and go for "every penny" as you suggest he may end up inadvertently cutting his career short due to injury from lack of protection and that would certainly derail his ability to be a pro team owner.

Not buying it even for a second personally.

Football players are all ‘team players’ until it comes to getting paid.

Not that I have a problem with it at all, why shouldn’t he want to be paid as much as possible? I would.

NINEster

Reaction score
original poster":1cjik8m7 said:
SeaWolv":1cjik8m7 said:
chawx":1cjik8m7 said:

Wilson owning a team?

He can pick up the BC Lions right now if he wants.

Detroit Lions, far different story even under the best case scenario (i.e. 5 SB rings and a wealthier-than-he-is super model wife or Papa John's Captain of Industry boy).

As for the franchise talk coming from Wilson himself instead of Schefter, Glazer, etc.......he gets it.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":1yk11do2 said:
SeaWolv":1yk11do2 said:
original poster":1yk11do2 said:
SeaWolv":1yk11do2 said:

1. He's intelligent.

Not buying it even for a second personally.

Football players are all ‘team players’ until it comes to getting paid.

Not that I have a problem with it at all, why shouldn’t he want to be paid as much as possible? I would.

Not valid to me (some truth but exaggerated IMO), but this is to some strong Christians.
The same reason he volunteers to Children's Hospital for free.
As some believe...."By giving we receive 10 fold"