Russell Wilson on pace to be sacked 72 times

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":k7uht679 said:
rideaducati":k7uht679 said:
lobohawk":k7uht679 said:
When blaming Russell for half the sacks, you also leave out all the ones he avoided (I'd say maybe two and really only one fumble on him). The hold-the-ball-to-long meme is getting a bit tired. Yes he does it at times, but to act like that's all he does is a bit much. Especially based off watching just a regular broadcast.

I watch coaches film and Russell is holding the ball too long on that too, until they go into two minute drill. Russell just looks a lot smaller on it because they show the whole field. I see that Kearse can't get open in under three seconds. I'll keep saying it because it is true... he needs to be replaced by someone who can get open in under three seconds (Lockett) or someone who provides an immediate mismatch due to his size (Graham or Matthews). Less Kearse Will be better for the Seahawks offense.

If Pete, Bevell, Russell, someone would get a quick passing game going while exploiting the other team with the AVAILABLE players they have that provide mismatches, it would do wonders for the O-line issues. Teams would back the hell off of the blitzing and both passing and running lanes would open up. But sadly, they won't use the personnel that would provide mismatches and we're stuck watching Kearse get smothered all game long and Russell being sacked because Kearse takes too long to get open. They have got to take Kearse out of the mix for being the primary read, he is killing the offense.

The Lions got 5 of their 6 sacks only rushing 4. Wilson was 7/7 against the Blitz for 91 yards.

I haven't watched this game over, but I bet Kearse was the primary read on at least three of those sack plays.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
If Russell was 6" taller, he could throw those quick slant in passes over the Defensive line. However, that is not his "modus operandi". I'm interested in watching how Pete and Co. fix this.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3ewy0sm6 said:
If Russell was 6" taller, he could throw those quick slant in passes over the Defensive line. However, that is not his "modus operandi". I'm interested in watching how Pete and Co. fix this.

Using a 6'7 and 6'5 TE along with a 6'5 WR all with jumping ability might be a start.

MVP53

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":b4bg595o said:
Why would they even consider calling a pass play on 3rd down, with a 10 point lead? Detroit barely had 160 yards at that point in the 4th quarter. Run the ball, punt it and make then EARN the 7. Zero excuse for calling a pass play there, especially when Russ could have easily been sacked 10-12 times in that game.
Common sense, easy 10 point win if they don't get that lucky bounce/fumble recovery for a TD. Game was in hand.

You're playing the hindsight game.

Is Wilson far more likely to fumble than Rawls?

MVP53

Reaction score
rideaducati":1472ydc4 said:
Bigpumpkin":1472ydc4 said:

Using a 6'7 and 6'5 TE along with a 6'5 WR all with jumping ability might be a start.

Dude, we get it. You like Chris Matthews and don't like Kearse. Point made.

bandiger

Reaction score
They opted to go with rookie projects instead of vets, this is the result of this abortion. They passed on a vet center and Mathis. I'm not gonna blame too much on RW especially if you seen Smith or Stafford with poor ass lines and offense can barely function.

randomation

Reaction score
rideaducati":1y9hf4jo said:
Largent80":1y9hf4jo said:
Would you rather have sacks, or interceptions / fumbles. Pick your poison.

It is impossible to not see how atrocious this o-line is.

The line isn't good, but it is far from atrocious and Russell is definitely not doing those guys ANY favors.

We are seeing sacks AND fumbles. I would rather see interceptions because those usually happen further down field.

What Oline in the league do you think they are better then? They are atrocious. Anyone but Russ and maybe Rodgers would be dead behind that line by now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The sacks RW takes by holding the ball too long are balanced out, numberswise, by the ones he avoids with his legs.
Seahawks o-line is a flat out joke and look very much to my eyes like they'll cost the team a trip to the playoffs. They're not just bad, they're not even NFL caliber.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Let's see, a running back carrying the ball, compared to a QB who's running for his life and has guys coming from all directions? Yes, the QB in that situation is more likely to fumble.

rideaducati

Reaction score
randomation":1bd7aj95 said:
rideaducati":1bd7aj95 said:
Largent80":1bd7aj95 said:

The line isn't good, but it is far from atrocious and Russell is definitely not doing those guys ANY favors.

We are seeing sacks AND fumbles. I would rather see interceptions because those usually happen further down field.

What Oline in the league do you think they are better then? They are atrocious. Anyone but Russ and maybe Rodgers would be dead behind that line by now.

Oline play across the league is pretty bad. Indy, Santa Clara, Detroit, San Diego, Philly, Miami...are all pretty bad right now. Most of the bad O-lines have new faces and the Seahawks are no different. The Seahawks O-line is behind because not only do they have new faces, but those new faces are also playing new positions.

While we have to deal with this because there is no other option right now, there are other areas of the team that need improvement where there ARE better options. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to bitch and moan about something that they can't change. We should bitch and moan about the things that CAN be changed to make up for their deficiencies that aren't being changed.

Implementing a quick passing game to personnel that is better suited for a quick passing game somehow makes sense to me as a good way to hide a very deficient offensive line that doesn't have an immediate fix. The long developing pass plays to below average receiving personnel aren't going to make anyone look good.

Feel free to continue to bitch and moan about something that they can't fix immediately even if they wanted to. I'll point out options they have that CAN be implemented immediately that would help them hide the problem better.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
RichNhansom":23z793aj said:
I miss Zack Miller and Mike Robinson.

To me that is the biggest difference. Those guys made up for huge issues. The same issues we have now but without them the line will struggle to improve.

Hopefully someone steps up. Fred Ja ' kson and Luke Willson maybe.

Interesting, and you're right. Blocking has been downgraded at TE and FB not just the O-Line.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I bet he's also holding the ball for 5 seconds on each pass play...

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
HawkGA":rmhcs9m5 said:
If there's betting, I'm taking the over.

If these same 5 guys, Justin Britt in particular continue to be rolled out there. I agree.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
rideaducati":10vyzaox said:
randomation":10vyzaox said:
rideaducati":10vyzaox said:
Largent80":10vyzaox said:

What Oline in the league do you think they are better then? They are atrocious. anyone but Russ and maybe Rodgers would be dead behind that line by now.

Oline play across the league is pretty bad. Indy, Santa Clara, Detroit, San Diego, Philly, Miami...are all pretty bad right now. Most of the bad O-lines have new faces and the Seahawks are no different. The Seahawks O-line is behind because not only do they have new faces, but those new faces are also playing new positions.

While we have to deal with this because there is no other option right now, there are other areas of the team that need improvement where there ARE better options. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to bitch and moan about something that they can't change. We should bitch and moan about the things that CAN be changed to make up for their deficiencies that aren't being changed.

Implementing a quick passing game to personnel that is better suited for a quick passing game somehow makes sense to me as a good way to hide a very deficient offensive line that doesn't have an immediate fix. The long developing pass plays to below average receiving personnel aren't going to make anyone look good.

Feel free to continue to bitch and moan about something that they can't fix immediately even if they wanted to. I'll point out options they have that CAN be implemented immediately that would help them hide the problem better.

Good Point

Rob12

Reaction score
rideaducati":1faz54zk said:
If he gets sacked that many times, it's on him for not throwing the damn ball. It's amazing how Russell can drop back, hit his back foot and fire the ball away on time in a two minute drill, but somehow doesn't have that same ability for the other 56 minutes of the game. He has got to stop looking for "something better" on every pass play or he will end up taking those sacks needlessly.

I thought I was done yelling "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv when Tarvaris was beaten out...I wasn't and it is getting frustrating.

The sacks Russell is taking are mostly on him. He tells us that he studies the "great QBs", but so far, he is failing to translate what he should be learning to the field. The best QBs don't try to hold the ball for five seconds on every pass play, but Russell seems to try to do just that.

The offensive line isn't as bad as Russell is making them out to be.

BS. They are every bit as they look, and it's been highlighted on national broadcasts on numerous occasions.

Watch the multiple GIFs that have been posted here showing the ineptness of our offensive line. It's not just RW like you are making it out to be. Not only can they not pass protect, but they are getting absolutely DESTROYED in the run game as well. They get no push, and open no lanes to run through. We're lucky we have a QB that can make things happen with his legs.

We are currently 7th in the league with 128 rushing yards per game (117 attempts, 512 yards, 4.4 YPC). Of those 512 yards, RW has 177 yards on 34 attempts (5.2 YPC). Without RW, the Seahawks are averaging 84 rush yards per game.

Saying just "throw the ball" is a way too simplistic way of looking at this issue. Yes, at times RW does hold on to the ball too long. He's had it drilled into him since he's been here that turnovers are not acceptable. So, he's missing some throws, just like every QB in the league does. But what's the alternative? Without RW, this team is absolutely dead in the water on offense. PC/JS have made the choice to invest very little draft capital on the offensive line. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but drafting Justin Britt in the second round has, up to this point, looked like a colossal failure. I don't know who made the final call on that pick, but if it was Cable, this FO and coaching staff need to take a long, hard look at giving him any pull in the war room.

Offensive line play across the entire league is down right now, but the Seahawks have one of the worst three lines in the league. Of that I'm convinced. Beast doesn't trust for the holes that were opened in the past to be open now, and a little look at some game film proves this to be true. It's not just pass protection that has been futile with this group, but now they are not even a good run blocking line now.

If anything sinks this season, it will be the offensive line. RW has gotten us to back to back SB's in spite of their poor play in the passing game. To put the issues nearly squarely on him like you've done is laughable. And wrong.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2lbxxgob said:
These are the linemen we have drafted in PC&JS era: Russell Okung, James Carpenter, John Moffit, Michael Bowie, J.R. Sweezy, Ryan Seymour, Justin Britt, Jared Smith, Garret Scott, Terry Poole, Mark Glowinski, Kristjan Sokoli.

This is why I have no faith in it ever getting turned around. As long as Tom Cable is in place it will remain a dumpster fire. All of these players are hand picked by Tom Cable except Okung of course.

The more worrying trend to me is the run blocking. This system is supposed to be able to turn any runner into a 1,000 yard back. They can't run block to save there lives, and have never been that good. Marshawn made them look good.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Rob12":2yzj848m said:
rideaducati":2yzj848m said:
If he gets sacked that many times, it's on him for not throwing the damn ball. It's amazing how Russell can drop back, hit his back foot and fire the ball away on time in a two minute drill, but somehow doesn't have that same ability for the other 56 minutes of the game. He has got to stop looking for "something better" on every pass play or he will end up taking those sacks needlessly.

I thought I was done yelling "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv when Tarvaris was beaten out...I wasn't and it is getting frustrating.

The sacks Russell is taking are mostly on him. He tells us that he studies the "great QBs", but so far, he is failing to translate what he should be learning to the field. The best QBs don't try to hold the ball for five seconds on every pass play, but Russell seems to try to do just that.

The offensive line isn't as bad as Russell is making them out to be.

BS. They are every bit as they look, and it's been highlighted on national broadcasts on numerous occasions.

Watch the multiple GIFs that have been posted here showing the ineptness of our offensive line. It's not just RW like you are making it out to be. Not only can they not pass protect, but they are getting absolutely DESTROYED in the run game as well. They get no push, and open no lanes to run through. We're lucky we have a QB that can make things happen with his legs.

We are currently 7th in the league with 128 rushing yards per game (117 attempts, 512 yards, 4.4 YPC). Of those 512 yards, RW has 177 yards on 34 attempts (5.2 YPC). Without RW, the Seahawks are averaging 84 rush yards per game.

Saying just "throw the ball" is a way too simplistic way of looking at this issue. Yes, at times RW does hold on to the ball too long. He's had it drilled into him since he's been here that turnovers are not acceptable. So, he's missing some throws, just like every QB in the league does. But what's the alternative? Without RW, this team is absolutely dead in the water on offense. PC/JS have made the choice to invest very little draft capital on the offensive line. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but drafting Justin Britt in the second round has, up to this point, looked like a colossal failure. I don't know who made the final call on that pick, but if it was Cable, this FO and coaching staff need to take a long, hard look at giving him any pull in the war room.

Offensive line play across the entire league is down right now, but the Seahawks have one of the worst three lines in the league. Of that I'm convinced. Beast doesn't trust for the holes that were opened in the past to be open now, and a little look at some game film proves this to be true. It's not just pass protection that has been futile with this group, but now they are not even a good run blocking line now.

If anything sinks this season, it will be the offensive line. RW has gotten us to back to back SB's in spite of their poor play in the passing game. To put the issues nearly squarely on him like you've done is laughable. And wrong.

Good Point. And gets lost a lot of the time with so much focus on the QB. THEY CAN'T RUN BLOCK EITHER.