Russell Wilson on pace to be sacked 72 times

MVP53

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2oqawnkw said:
Let's see, a running back carrying the ball, compared to a QB who's running for his life and has guys coming from all directions? Yes, the QB in that situation is more likely to fumble.

Both have a very low percentage of likelihood. Wilson has 1379 career pass attempts and 19 fumbles (1.37%). To compare, Marshawn has 2071 career carries and 19 fumbles (.9%). So yes, theoretically, Russell is more likely to fumble than a RB, but the difference is minuscule.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Rob12":2b5kocdv said:
rideaducati":2b5kocdv said:
If he gets sacked that many times, it's on him for not throwing the damn ball. It's amazing how Russell can drop back, hit his back foot and fire the ball away on time in a two minute drill, but somehow doesn't have that same ability for the other 56 minutes of the game. He has got to stop looking for "something better" on every pass play or he will end up taking those sacks needlessly.

I thought I was done yelling "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv when Tarvaris was beaten out...I wasn't and it is getting frustrating.

The sacks Russell is taking are mostly on him. He tells us that he studies the "great QBs", but so far, he is failing to translate what he should be learning to the field. The best QBs don't try to hold the ball for five seconds on every pass play, but Russell seems to try to do just that.

The offensive line isn't as bad as Russell is making them out to be.

BS. They are every bit as they look, and it's been highlighted on national broadcasts on numerous occasions.

Watch the multiple GIFs that have been posted here showing the ineptness of our offensive line. It's not just RW like you are making it out to be. Not only can they not pass protect, but they are getting absolutely DESTROYED in the run game as well. They get no push, and open no lanes to run through. We're lucky we have a QB that can make things happen with his legs.

We are currently 7th in the league with 128 rushing yards per game (117 attempts, 512 yards, 4.4 YPC). Of those 512 yards, RW has 177 yards on 34 attempts (5.2 YPC). Without RW, the Seahawks are averaging 84 rush yards per game.

Saying just "throw the ball" is a way too simplistic way of looking at this issue. Yes, at times RW does hold on to the ball too long. He's had it drilled into him since he's been here that turnovers are not acceptable. So, he's missing some throws, just like every QB in the league does. But what's the alternative? Without RW, this team is absolutely dead in the water on offense. PC/JS have made the choice to invest very little draft capital on the offensive line. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but drafting Justin Britt in the second round has, up to this point, looked like a colossal failure. I don't know who made the final call on that pick, but if it was Cable, this FO and coaching staff need to take a long, hard look at giving him any pull in the war room.

Offensive line play across the entire league is down right now, but the Seahawks have one of the worst three lines in the league. Of that I'm convinced. Beast doesn't trust for the holes that were opened in the past to be open now, and a little look at some game film proves this to be true. It's not just pass protection that has been futile with this group, but now they are not even a good run blocking line now.

If anything sinks this season, it will be the offensive line. RW has gotten us to back to back SB's in spite of their poor play in the passing game. To put the issues nearly squarely on him like you've done is laughable. And wrong.
Russell Wilson has not gotten us back to two superbowls, no one player gets you to superbowls. Even the best Quarterbacks in the NFL don't make it to the superbowl by themselves, it is a team effort.

Throw the ball is not a simplistic narrative. This has been an issue with Wilson since he has entered the league. He has held the ball longer than any QB in the NFL each of his three years in the NFL. That playstyle is going to give the O-Line fits. Yeah, he can beat teams with his legs, but immobile QB's such as Peyton, and Brady do the same thing with their arms. They recognize when teams are trying to blitz them, and they have an internal clock that tells them to get rid of the ball. So, while they may not make spectacular plays, they march the ball down the field consistently.

The reason people are so upset, at least the reason I am is because he is paid close to what Rodgers is paid. I do not see him grasping the fine nuances of the passing game, though I will say this --- I do think a lot of this is Bevell's, and Carroll's fault with the way that they run the offense. I really do not think they are playing up to Wilson's strengths, and the way the passing game is structured is quite frankly abysmal. I do not think Wilson will ever be a great pocket passer, I do think he has trouble seeing open receivers in the pocket. That can be schemed around though with both pass blocking schemes, and moving pockets / rollouts , think Shanahan's offense.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rob12":3t1aqcx5 said:
rideaducati":3t1aqcx5 said:
If he gets sacked that many times, it's on him for not throwing the damn ball. It's amazing how Russell can drop back, hit his back foot and fire the ball away on time in a two minute drill, but somehow doesn't have that same ability for the other 56 minutes of the game. He has got to stop looking for "something better" on every pass play or he will end up taking those sacks needlessly.

I thought I was done yelling "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv when Tarvaris was beaten out...I wasn't and it is getting frustrating.

The sacks Russell is taking are mostly on him. He tells us that he studies the "great QBs", but so far, he is failing to translate what he should be learning to the field. The best QBs don't try to hold the ball for five seconds on every pass play, but Russell seems to try to do just that.

BS. They are every bit as they look, and it's been highlighted on national broadcasts on numerous occasions.

Watch the multiple GIFs that have been posted here showing the ineptness of our offensive line. It's not just RW like you are making it out to be. Not only can they not pass protect, but they are getting absolutely DESTROYED in the run game as well. They get no push, and open no lanes to run through. We're lucky we have a QB that can make things happen with his legs.

We are currently 7th in the league with 128 rushing yards per game (117 attempts, 512 yards, 4.4 YPC). Of those 512 yards, RW has 177 yards on 34 attempts (5.2 YPC). Without RW, the Seahawks are averaging 84 rush yards per game.

Saying just "throw the ball" is a way too simplistic way of looking at this issue. Yes, at times RW does hold on to the ball too long. He's had it drilled into him since he's been here that turnovers are not acceptable. So, he's missing some throws, just like every QB in the league does. But what's the alternative? Without RW, this team is absolutely dead in the water on offense. PC/JS have made the choice to invest very little draft capital on the offensive line. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but drafting Justin Britt in the second round has, up to this point, looked like a colossal failure. I don't know who made the final call on that pick, but if it was Cable, this FO and coaching staff need to take a long, hard look at giving him any pull in the war room.

Offensive line play across the entire league is down right now, but the Seahawks have one of the worst three lines in the league. Of that I'm convinced. Beast doesn't trust for the holes that were opened in the past to be open now, and a little look at some game film proves this to be true. It's not just pass protection that has been futile with this group, but now they are not even a good run blocking line now.

If anything sinks this season, it will be the offensive line. RW has gotten us to back to back SB's in spite of their poor play in the passing game. To put the issues nearly squarely on him like you've done is laughable. And wrong.

We all know the O-line is bad, but there is absolutely nothing they can do to change that right now. It's going to take time.

I haven't put all the blame on Russell. We see him do the things I mentioned that I would like to see him do more. When he doesn't get rid of the ball quickly, bad things happen a lot more often than good things, so he should work harder on getting rid of the ball quickly.

Getting rid of the ball quicker would be an easier task if Bevell and company actually put in the best personnel equipped to be able to get open quickly.

The way defenses are playing the Seahawks this season is working and isn't being countered by anything new from the Seahawks offense. I want to see this change because there are offensive options available that are being misused or not used at all.

The defense can make adjustments in a 12 minute halftime, why can't the offense adjust when they NEED TO?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2a7sn4nt said:
Rob12":2a7sn4nt said:
rideaducati":2a7sn4nt said:

Russell Wilson has not gotten us back to two superbowls, no one player gets you to superbowls. Even the best Quarterbacks in the NFL don't make it to the superbowl by themselves, it is a team effort.

Throw the ball is not a simplistic narrative. This has been an issue with Wilson since he has entered the league. He has held the ball longer than any QB in the NFL each of his three years in the NFL. That playstyle is going to give the O-Line fits. Yeah, he can beat teams with his legs, but immobile QB's such as Peyton, and Brady do the same thing with their arms. They recognize when teams are trying to blitz them, and they have an internal clock that tells them to get rid of the ball. So, while they may not make spectacular plays, they march the ball down the field consistently.

The reason people are so upset, at least the reason I am is because he is paid close to what Rodgers is paid. I do not see him grasping the fine nuances of the passing game, though I will say this --- I do think a lot of this is Bevell's, and Carroll's fault with the way that they run the offense. I really do not think they are playing up to Wilson's strengths, and the way the passing game is structured is quite frankly abysmal. I do not think Wilson will ever be a great pocket passer, I do think he has trouble seeing open receivers in the pocket. That can be schemed around though with both pass blocking schemes, and moving pockets / rollouts , think Shanahan's offense.

Good points.

The Lions o-line is equally atrocious.

Safford was sacked......0 times?

He throws the ball when he hits his back foot.

Those who claim that Russell saves the o-line don't account for the fact that Russell's style, as awesome as it is sometimes, compounds the problem too.

Its a horrible combination....bad blocking and a QB who cant or wont throw quick passes.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Fade":2m04qw1j said:
http://sportspressnw.com/2209837/2015/wilson-stays-on-pace-for-record-pancaking
Would be tied for 2nd most in NFL history.

For Reference
2012 - 33
2013 - 44
2014 - 42
2015 - 72 (on pace)

What do you guys think?

How to best minimize the damage going forward this season. And what should change long term, this is not sustainable.

On the other hand, Wilson is verrrrrry unlikely to stay on this pace for the rest of the season. He could end the season with 19 sacks, setting a new personal record for least sacks in a season. You don't know.

Here's another way to look at it.
Good thing the NFC championship game from last year wasn't early in the season. Wilson was sacked 5 times. At that rate he would have been on pace for 80 sacks!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Palmegranite":34cjr69v said:
Fade":34cjr69v said:
http://sportspressnw.com/2209837/2015/wilson-stays-on-pace-for-record-pancaking
Would be tied for 2nd most in NFL history.

For Reference
2012 - 33
2013 - 44
2014 - 42
2015 - 72 (on pace)

What do you guys think?

How to best minimize the damage going forward this season. And what should change long term, this is not sustainable.

On the other hand, Wilson is verrrrrry unlikely to stay on this pace for the rest of the season. He could end the season with 19 sacks, setting a new personal record for least sacks in a season. You don't know.

Here's another way to look at it.
Good thing the NFC championship game from last year wasn't early in the season. Wilson was sacked 5 times. At that rate he would have been on pace for 80 sacks!

And 64 interceptions.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
When Randall Cunningham was sacked 72 times in 1986. He was sacked 8 times through 4 games. RW 18 through 4 games so just saying the pace will slow down just... because, is inaccurate.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yeah I checked the stats on Randall Cunningham alright.
In 7 consecutive years his sack rate was 72, 54, 57, 45, 49, 2(played in part of one game with 4 attempts) and 60.
Russel Wilson hasn't had as high as 45 sacks in his career with Seattle. This guy was a deluxe robo-sack. I guess we'll see who is inaccurate but my sense is the last few games were an anomaly for RW.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I can't blame it on Russ when our O-line coach keeps trying to retrain D-line players.

I'll never understand Cable's love of "dirtbags" over professionals who have technique.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":so5jyulz said:
The sacks RW takes by holding the ball too long are balanced out, numberswise, by the ones he avoids with his legs.
Seahawks o-line is a flat out joke and look very much to my eyes like they'll cost the team a trip to the playoffs. They're not just bad, they're not even NFL caliber.

Which is ok, btw. If the coaches see that these guys have the potential to be coached up, then I'm ok with these guys. It's a gamble, for sure…but in the meantime…

…the playbook sucks for this situation. And Russell is being a little too tentative (always has been but this year that extra half second is a big difference).

Why not put an extra lineman on the line in the spot of the TE and/or keep an RB back more often. That leaves three wide and 7 guys to block 4-5 rushers. Lockett, Baldwin, and Graham out wide…with Kearse and Matthews spelling them. A shorter route tree aimed at quick releases and 5-8 yd gains nickel and diming these guys to death?

Am I stupid? I very well could be. Is this too simplistic?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1wvqej4s said:
I can't blame it on Russ when our O-line coach keeps trying to retrain D-line players.

I'll never understand Cable's love of "dirtbags" over professionals who have technique.

The gm is also giving him about $3.50 to work with

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
okay, some of you cough%*ridedactile* cough, need to go look at Lalooshes All 22 and look at how the oline if completely wiffing and RW is imediately running for his life and count

one mississippi, two mississippi, how long is RW holding the ball AS HE RUNS FOR HIS LIFE.

Then remember, when they show stats that show how long RW holds the ball, it is counting THOSE plays,w here he was running for his life before miracullously finding some one to throw to or throwing it out of bounds.

He's NOT really holding the ball too long. He simply doens't have time to get rid of it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":oz2mu0jr said:
okay, some of you cough%*ridedactile* cough, need to go look at Lalooshes All 22 and look at how the oline if completely wiffing and RW is imediately running for his life and count

one mississippi, two mississippi, how long is RW holding the ball AS HE RUNS FOR HIS LIFE.

Then remember, when they show stats that show how long RW holds the ball, it is counting THOSE plays,w here he was running for his life before miracullously finding some one to throw to or throwing it out of bounds.

He's NOT really holding the ball too long. He simply doens't have time to get rid of it.

Cute... When you have no argument, you have to resort to childish crap. Ride a ducati... It isn't difficult to copy and paste and I know you know how to do that.

I could find just as many instances of Russell holding the ball too long as Laloosh has put O-line failures into his write-ups. Laloosh chooses to point out the O-line, I choose to point out something that can be changed easier than the offensive line personnel.

What can the Seahawks do right now to improve the offensive line? They can't change out their offensive line personnel until the season is over and those guys won't get better until they get more playing time. We can read post after post about how bad the line is, but all I see is bitching and moaning. It can't be fixed right now, so how about turning to other issues to see if those issues can be fixed quickly to help overcome the issues that can't be fixed?

If you don't think Russell is holding the ball too long when the O-line DOES hold up, then maybe you and Laloosh should actually look at those instances and get back to me. Hopefully Laloosh can tell you what you should think about that too. He seems to be reasonably knowledgeable and will probably see that Russell is holding the ball way too long too, but for you to believe it, I'll have to wait until you see it from Laloosh.

marko358

Reaction score
rideaducati":35h4s8v6 said:
What can the Seahawks do right now to improve the offensive line? They can't change out their offensive line personnel until the season is over...

They can't? Why is that? I've seen other teams do this. If a guy gets hurt they're just going to go with 4 offensive linemen the rest of the year?

rideaducati

Reaction score
marko358":2v9ihqp5 said:
rideaducati":2v9ihqp5 said:
What can the Seahawks do right now to improve the offensive line? They can't change out their offensive line personnel until the season is over...

They can't? Why is that? I've seen other teams do this. If a guy gets hurt they're just going to go with 4 offensive linemen the rest of the year?

Cap space and lack of injuries maybe? I don't recall any team ever replacing their offensive line midseason when there weren't injuries, but you probably have a better grasp on the likeliness of the Seahawks just cutting their offensive line and starting over with a bunch of NFL players that are available in October. :th2thumbs:

marko358

Reaction score
rideaducati":27bqbk2r said:
marko358":27bqbk2r said:
rideaducati":27bqbk2r said:

Cap space and lack of injuries maybe? I don't recall any team ever replacing their offensive line midseason when there weren't injuries, but you probably have a better grasp on the likeliness of the Seahawks just cutting their offensive line and starting over with a bunch of NFL players that are available in October. :th2thumbs:
I wasn't insinuating that they would swap out all 5 guys but the what you posted made it sound like they could make no changes whatsoever and we're stuck with these clowns.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Just to be clear Salish, I am not putting all the blame on Russell for holding the ball too long. The personnel and play calling have their share of the blame too.

rideaducati

Reaction score
marko358":86e6nafp said:
rideaducati":86e6nafp said:
marko358":86e6nafp said:
rideaducati":86e6nafp said:

I wasn't insinuating that they would swap out all 5 guys but the what you posted made it sound like they could make no changes whatsoever and we're stuck with these clowns.

From what Pete is saying, we are stuck with them.

I think I'd rather stick with guys that have been in Seattle through the off season than try to bring in guys off the street. Offensive lines need TIME TOGETHER. Time together trumps talent a lot of times when it comes to O-lines.

Rob12

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2bbeo1nt said:
Rob12":2bbeo1nt said:
rideaducati":2bbeo1nt said:

OK. Let me rephrase.

If we had, say, T-Jack or Matt Flynn as our starting QB's during the past two seasons, do you think the Seahawks are playing in the last two SB's?