Russell Wilson on pace to be sacked 72 times

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Palmegranite":18ea43gf said:
Fade":18ea43gf said:
http://sportspressnw.com/2209837/2015/wilson-stays-on-pace-for-record-pancaking
Would be tied for 2nd most in NFL history.

For Reference
2012 - 33
2013 - 44
2014 - 42
2015 - 72 (on pace)

What do you guys think?

How to best minimize the damage going forward this season. And what should change long term, this is not sustainable.

On the other hand, Wilson is verrrrrry unlikely to stay on this pace for the rest of the season. He could end the season with 19 sacks, setting a new personal record for least sacks in a season. You don't know.

Here's another way to look at it.
Good thing the NFC championship game from last year wasn't early in the season. Wilson was sacked 5 times. At that rate he would have been on pace for 80 sacks!
I was feeling nostalgic so I'm bringing back this "sky is falling" thread based on a "sackmaggeddon" article about RW being on pace for 72 sacks.
Well if you use the sacks from the last 4 games(the article used stats from the first 4 games), he's on pace to be sacked ~45 times, pretty close to the norm for his carreer. ha ha ha...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
justafan":2ap7pigx said:
Counting the sacks doesnt even give you the whole picture.

Precisely right. For those who didn't see this the first time around, I posted this a few days ago ...

Just read this on Sheil Kapadia's blog over on ESPN. For those who haven't seen this yet, this is one real encouraging stat ...

4.1 -- The sack percentage on Wilson since Week 8. That's the ninth-best mark in the league. In Weeks 1 through 7, it was 11.7 percent, which ranked 32nd. The offensive line has really done a nice job of keeping him clean.
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...that-matter-with-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-2

Now, some of that has to do with Russell Wilson, who has been getting the ball out quicker in recent weeks. Kapadia notes that against the Steelers, he was getting the ball out faster than he had all year long. That said, a lot of credit obviously needs to go to the Offensive Line (specifically Patrick Lewis I'd say) for just flat out doing a better job of giving Wilson protection. If that trend continues, this Seahawks team is going to be like Godzilla stomping on Tokyo to teams heading down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Wilson was only sacked ONCE last Sunday. By the numbers, there has been significant improvement in the number of sacks allowed as the season has gone on ...

Weeks 1-7 (first 8 Games) ... 31 Sacks Allowed
Weeks 8-13 (last 5 Games) ... 7 Sacks Allowed

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Thank god the changes were made.

1. Patrick Lewis for Drew Nowak, and have Patrick Lewis handle the protections.
. (this pretty much accounts for most of the improvement.)
2. Britt & Gilliam have gotten better.

3. Made tweaks to some of the routes so the ball can come out quicker.

4. Bevell calling the game better situationally.

5. Using the middle of the field, and in breaking routes more.

in other words O-Line & Playcalling.

If they can keep this up it will be a special season.

hawk45

Reaction score
What's the adjustment to the offensive scheme changes? Defenses will adapt eventually. Do they...rush fewer and flood the zones? Press our receivers off the line more?
I worry our offense will then be glacially slow to counter the adjustments and hope opponents don't figure things out until next year.
Perhaps this time (unlike Russ's first year with the read zone) there is no adjustment that can completely shut the passing O down again. Perhaps if they press, or rush fewer, they just give Russ more time to find openings or at worst enable sandlot mode.
I do not expect our offense to click at the beginning of next year at all though. I expect us to struggle once more in passing for 10 games.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawk45":hs3s0clk said:
What's the adjustment to the offensive scheme changes? Defenses will adapt eventually. Do they...rush fewer and flood the zones? Press our receivers off the line more?
I worry our offense will then be glacially slow to counter the adjustments and hope opponents don't figure things out until next year.
Perhaps this time (unlike Russ's first year with the read zone) there is no adjustment that can completely shut the passing O down again. Perhaps if they press, or rush fewer, they just give Russ more time to find openings or at worst enable sandlot mode.
I do not expect our offense to click at the beginning of next year at all though. I expect us to struggle once more in passing for 10 games.

I have been wondering similar about defenses adjusting and if it really is that simple or is this style of offense just that much harder to defend but I'm also a believer that this change we are seeing is Pete letting go of the reigns and allowing Bevell to run the offense to its potential rather than trying to play it safe.

It probably won't be all that hard to figure out as time goes on. If I am right and Pete is allowing Bevell to run his offense then we shouldn't see a massive drop off even if defenses adjust except for an occasional game or two. This doesn't mean we should expect Wilson to put up 350 yards 4 TD's and have a QB rating of 140 every week but we should see more consistency within the offense and play calling.

As for next year I suspect we will see some rust initially like every year and then the bumps and bruises of Pete playing 2nd and 3rd string players early in the year like he always does but I would be very surprised if we seen a start to the year like this one.

We will see. Hopefully I am correct and Bevell really is a decent OC who has been playing within the confines of Pete's system. That really is the best case scenario. If I am wrong we will revert back to the offense from early this year and won't be looking at dominant playoff runs until Pete makes changes to the play calling.

hawk45

Reaction score
What troubles me about the theory that Pete was shackling Bevell is that with our team without wideouts with great physical characteristics and with our obvious cheap approach on OL I don't see Pete vetoing a Bevell suggestion to spread the field and run combo routes as long as Bevell promised to still run the ball a lot. Would Pete say no, sorry, it's not enough that we run but we must run out of play action and with long developing iso routes? Why would Pete be against quicker reads for the QB?

Optimus25

Reaction score
Fade":a505wg0h said:
Thank god the changes were made.

1. Patrick Lewis for Drew Nowak, and have Patrick Lewis handle the protections.
. (this pretty much accounts for most of the improvement.)
2. Britt & Gilliam have gotten better.

3. Made tweaks to some of the routes so the ball can come out quicker.

4. Bevell calling the game better situationally.

5. Using the middle of the field, and in breaking routes more.

in other words O-Line & Playcalling.

If they can keep this up it will be a special season.

I really like this post. Pete really irked me cause last year Lewis subbed in so efficiently, so the move to nowak was just an unnecessary risk. But agree with all points!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawk45":17aboy4u said:
What troubles me about the theory that Pete was shackling Bevell is that with our team without wideouts with great physical characteristics and with our obvious cheap approach on OL I don't see Pete vetoing a Bevell suggestion to spread the field and run combo routes as long as Bevell promised to still run the ball a lot. Would Pete say no, sorry, it's not enough that we run but we must run out of play action and with long developing iso routes? Why would Pete be against quicker reads for the QB?

It's not just about running the ball alot though. It's also about staying away from higher risk area's of the field and higher risk throws like throwing into traffic. We have lived on the ability to hit the big play. Draw opponents in and take off the top and it fit the safe play design.

What I am seeing now is we are not shying away from the middle of the field or higher risk throws. It is looking much more like a traditional offense except on steroids.

hawk45

Reaction score
You may be right RichNHansom. If you are and Pete put Russ behind the 8 ball by disallowing anything but long developing sideline iso routes then I think that was a mistake. Well...maybe a mistake, as I'll explain below.
Still don't understand how eschewing combo routes and making reads harder for your QB, as well as using longer developing routes behind a weak line accomplishes minimizing risk. You are assured your receivers are blanketed and your QB is under siege and beaten up.
Just seems to me like you trade one risk (using short routes and the middle of the field) for another risk (QB beaten up and never getting to execute on schedule because routes are DOA).
But, with Russell's legs and Marshawn I suppose it let Russ grow without the usual Andrew Luck pick-a-thon while we still accomplished our team goals?
Hey if we don't fail to counter adjust for 3 years again and continue to be productive on O, perhaps it was brilliant of Pete and Bevell after all.
Although they were playing with franchise killing fire getting Russell's butt kicked so hard. So after thinking about it, no, it wasn't brilliant it was penny wise and pound foolish.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawk45":30qqu1hu said:
You may be right RichNHansom. If you are and Pete put Russ behind the 8 ball by disallowing anything but long developing sideline iso routes then I think that was a mistake. Well...maybe a mistake, as I'll explain below.
Still don't understand how eschewing combo routes and making reads harder for your QB, as well as using longer developing routes behind a weak line accomplishes minimizing risk. You are assured your receivers are blanketed and your QB is under siege and beaten up.
Just seems to me like you trade one risk (using short routes and the middle of the field) for another risk (QB beaten up and never getting to execute on schedule because routes are DOA).
But, with Russell's legs and Marshawn I suppose it let Russ grow without the usual Andrew Luck pick-a-thon while we still accomplished our team goals?
Hey if we don't fail to counter adjust for 3 years again and continue to be productive on O, perhaps it was brilliant of Pete and Bevell after all.
Although they were playing with franchise killing fire getting Russell's butt kicked so hard. So after thinking about it, no, it wasn't brilliant it was penny wise and pound foolish.

There's actually a pretty good discussion on this subject in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119628&view=unread#unread

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1pgud0hp said:
Palmegranite":1pgud0hp said:
Fade":1pgud0hp said:
http://sportspressnw.com/2209837/2015/wilson-stays-on-pace-for-record-pancaking
Would be tied for 2nd most in NFL history.

For Reference
2012 - 33
2013 - 44
2014 - 42
2015 - 72 (on pace)

What do you guys think?

How to best minimize the damage going forward this season. And what should change long term, this is not sustainable.

On the other hand, Wilson is verrrrrry unlikely to stay on this pace for the rest of the season. He could end the season with 19 sacks, setting a new personal record for least sacks in a season. You don't know.

Here's another way to look at it.
Good thing the NFC championship game from last year wasn't early in the season. Wilson was sacked 5 times. At that rate he would have been on pace for 80 sacks!
I was feeling nostalgic so I'm bringing back this "sky is falling" thread based on a "sackmaggeddon" article about RW being on pace for 72 sacks.
Well if you use the sacks from the last 4 games(the article used stats from the first 4 games), he's on pace to be sacked ~45 times, pretty close to the norm for his carreer. ha ha ha...

There's a reason why I said I'd bet at least five figures against the pace holding earlier in the thread. Extrapolation in a very complex system early on is a bad choice.

Spounge84

Reaction score
rideaducati":3cbkk84j said:
Largent80":3cbkk84j said:
Would you rather have sacks, or interceptions / fumbles. Pick your poison.

It is impossible to not see how atrocious this o-line is.

The line isn't good, but it is far from atrocious

[youtube]_n5E7feJHw0[/youtube]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All that can faintly be said about the OLine is that it is getting better. Russell hasn't got hurt yet, which is a blessing.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Imagine that...the linemen get more time together and they play better. Never saw that coming. :sarcasm_on:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Cam Newton, the league MVP, was sacked seven times. If he keeps to this pace next season, let's extrapolate. Wow that works out to about 112 sacks! Which in my books is way more than 72.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Palmegranite":yxf20fgf said:
Cam Newton, the league MVP, was sacked seven times. If he keeps to this pace next season, let's extrapolate. Wow that works out to about 112 sacks! Which in my books is way more than 72.

At least Cam had an offensive line. Our line got smoked by the Panthers. Just think of what Denver would have done to our offensive line, you know, the one that let Panther DTs through like they were on roller skates.

Want to know how much our poor line cost us this year? It's Pete's #1 priority.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
RW was sacked 45 times on only 483 pass attempts. once every 10.7 attempts, piss poor.

The 2 players that finished in front of him. Rodgers 46 sacks on 572 pass attempts. Bortles 51 sacks on 606 pass attempts.

Pete acknowledged they made changes mid-season, (it wasn't sustainable) which slowed the bleeding, but he also stated the O-Line still needs fixing in his final end of the season presser.