Russell Wilson's Contract Extension

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
Here's a crazy thought. Would Russell settle for less than he's worth if he receives a wink and a nod from Paul Allen that he (Allen) would donate 50 million to Seattle Children's Hospital?

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1vze5hv9 said:
The Radish":1vze5hv9 said:
My friend, you do realize don't you that the team can't talk to him or his agent until after next season's SuperB owl is over?

And that's if they start a year early. (which I expect)

:1:
It's going to cost big trying to sign a 2 time Superbowl winner to an extension. Ouchie Mama!!

2x Superb Owl winner can haz whatever he wants....

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Mandu":1eof3sv4 said:
Here's a crazy thought. Would Russell settle for less than he's worth if he receives a wink and a nod from Paul Allen that he (Allen) would donate 50 million to Seattle Children's Hospital?

XgELs

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson wants to be remembered as the best not the richest.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You guys are crazy to think Wilson is going to even want 15m +.

Whether or not he deserves it. He wants to be great maybe the best QB ever to play.

He probably knows you don't do that strapping the team down with a big chunk of cap every year.

He's also going to have endorsements his whole life and once Manning, Brees, and Brady retire, Wilson is going to see the major endorsements.

I see him signing a 6 for 60 extension, with incentives to put up to 90 million, with 30 million guaranteed.

hawksman53

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":232pvh95 said:
Mandu":232pvh95 said:

XgELs
EXACTLY....

jblaze

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2jr55f6v said:

Whether or not he deserves it. He wants to be great maybe the best QB ever to play.

He probably knows you don't do that strapping the team down with a big chunk of cap every year.

He's also going to have endorsements his whole life and once Manning, Brees, and Brady retire, Wilson is going to see the major endorsements.

I see him signing a 6 for 60 extension, with incentives to put up to 90 million, with 30 million guaranteed.

This is beyond ridiculous. RW would not accept 10/yr nor should he. Neither would his agent or the NFLPA allow him to accept that deal. They have more influence that you know.

It will be interesting to see what Kap gets because RW will be right around there. Probably 16-18m/yr.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
jblaze":1m4890ao said:
This is beyond ridiculous. RW would not accept 10/yr nor should he. Neither would his agent or the NFLPA allow him to accept that deal. They have more influence that you know.

It will be interesting to see what Kap gets because RW will be right around there. Probably 16-18m/yr.

Yep.

This is just people conflating high character with lack of desire for money, which is absurd. He's already playing on a massive discount right now; he should and will get paid when the time comes.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wilson was on the Dan Patrick show today and according to the guys on KIRO, he hopes to become an owner of a pro team. Cannot do that taking below market deals. By the time this all goes down, this conversation will be gone from the archives. If the cap goes up as expected for 2015, to take a contract barely above the one given to Flynn is wishful thinking.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2zij4wl4 said:

I'll eat my shorts if he signs for 10/year. Add that 30 million on top of 6/60 and I think you're getting closer. And I must be crazy because I can't see him asking for less than 15/year. Joe friggin Flacco is making 20, it's always about the market.

drdiags":2zij4wl4 said:
If the cap goes up as expected for 2015, to take a contract barely above the one given to Flynn is wishful thinking.

That's a great dose of perspective, Doc

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":196oiq3m said:
Using our divisional foes from the South, early rumor reports has them talking an extension with Kap with a floor of 15M up to 22M. So your numbers could be a little low on total compensation. The floor is $15M. $18-20M/yr is what I am thinking in a year.

Damn that seems high for a young QB's first contract extension. My guess is it'd be more in the Joe Flacco range of six years at 120M, but lower annual payments of 8-10 million for the first 2-3 years, THEN the big bump up............but also with a big signing bonus.

That way by the time the 20M per year number hits, we can restructure like Brady did to a longer contract again with lower per year salary but bigger signing/guaranteed money.

jblaze

Reaction score
Brady's restructure was taking less to give NE room to sign other players so they can compete.

It is very rare that a restructure results in the player taking less money, it's more about moving money around to give one or two years of flexibility with big hits later.

NorCal

Reaction score
Yeah, there is no way the NFLPA lets RW take such a steep discount. Kap's contract will be the baseline. RW will get more than Kap regardless of what happens next year, as he has already won a SB. Its the nature of the NFL, you have to pay to keep your QBs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":3kms179r said:
Brady's restructure was taking less to give NE room to sign other players so they can compete.

It is very rare that a restructure results in the player taking less money, it's more about moving money around to give one or two years of flexibility with big hits later.

Well his cap hit is still 15M a year because of how much guaranteed money he's getting, so let's not anoint him Sainthood just yet. He could make 20M a year like Princess Peyton, so yes he did do the Patriots a solid. But it's not like he's being paid peanuts.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jblaze":jothunee said:
Pandion Haliaetus":jothunee said:

Okay...

First of All, I said 10 mil per year at mininum. With incentives to make it 15 mil per season. He'll also average $5 mil of guaranteed money. And we can also throw in a clause where if he has a career ending injury, half of his remaining base contract becomes fully guaranteed.

There are ways around it.

Secondly, excuse me if NFLPA won't agree on that extenstion on QB who probably won't see more than 450 pass attempts in a season in our system, or a QB who has yet to break the 4,000 yard or even the 30 touchdown threshhold. And a QB half the GMs and ex GMs don't even consider an elite QB.

But my where I'm coming from is that tweeted picture by Wilson where he wrote his goals on a napkin...

Win 4 Superbowls and Become Great... were two of his goals... with that understanding, I possibly can maybe understand that he knows about salary cap and the certainty of the more he takes up, the less the can perform at a Championship level. Russell is going to paid but he's going to keep the Seahawks at a championship opportunity level.

Wilson is a elite QB but he's the type that is going to need strong play-makers around him when teams go all out to stop him. He understands he can't do it alone... and for certain I'm pretty sure he cares a whole lot about the goals he sets for himself more than he does the money. And making top 5 money wasn't one of Wilson's goals.

But we still have a whole year for this process to play out... and whether if its 10 million or 20 million, Wilson is probably worth it. But in my personal opinion, I just don't see him signing a deal that will significantly hinder the cap, put more pressure on him to perform because of said salary, and decrease this teams chances of winning future multiple Championships when he knows that its difficult to win just one. We'll see though we'll see.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2td8b0q5 said:
jblaze":2td8b0q5 said:

Well his cap hit is still 15M a year because of how much guaranteed money he's getting, so let's not anoint him Sainthood just yet. He could make 20M a year like Princess Peyton, so yes he did do the Patriots a solid. But it's not like he's being paid peanuts.

He does deserve some credit, he's the only QB I've ever known to take less to give the team flexibility to put a better team on the field. Brady did it because he's towards the end of his career and wants to win another SB and also he's already rich and worked through a couple of huge contracts.

He could have gotten $20m a year. RW is a great guy but he won't do that, he'll take what he can get just like everyone else. Especially in his second contract which is a player's best opportunity to strike big.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":2w0go4s1 said:
He could have gotten $20m a year. RW is a great guy but he won't do that, he'll take what he can get just like everyone else. Especially in his second contract which is a player's best opportunity to strike big.

I disagree. Russell is EXACTLY the kind of team first player that would help the organization out with his contract in order to remain competitive.

Just like Brady, he knows that if the team's successful he'll have no problem making up the difference in endorsements and appearance fees.

jblaze

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3136ul5e said:
jblaze":3136ul5e said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3136ul5e said:

Okay...

First of All, I said 10 mil per year at mininum. With incentives to make it 15 mil per season. He'll also average $5 mil of guaranteed money. And we can also throw in a clause where if he has a career ending injury, half of his remaining base contract becomes fully guaranteed.

There are ways around it.

Secondly, excuse me if NFLPA won't agree on that extenstion on QB who probably won't see more than 450 pass attempts in a season in our system, or a QB who has yet to break the 4,000 yard or even the 30 touchdown threshhold. And a QB half the GMs and ex GMs don't even consider an elite QB.

But my where I'm coming from is that tweeted picture by Wilson where he wrote his goals on a napkin...

Win 4 Superbowls and Become Great... were two of his goals... with that understanding, I possibly can maybe understand that he knows about salary cap and the certainty of the more he takes up, the less the can perform at a Championship level. Russell is going to paid but he's going to keep the Seahawks at a championship opportunity level.

Wilson is a elite QB but he's the type that is going to need strong play-makers around him when teams go all out to stop him. He understands he can't do it alone... and for certain I'm pretty sure he cares a whole lot about the goals he sets for himself more than he does the money. And making top 5 money wasn't one of Wilson's goals.

But we still have a whole year for this process to play out... and whether if its 10 million or 20 million, Wilson is probably worth it. But in my personal opinion, I just don't see him signing a deal that will significantly hinder the cap, put more pressure on him to perform because of said salary, and decrease this teams chances of winning future multiple Championships when he knows that its difficult to win just one. We'll see though we'll see.

I don't see the word minimum in your post. Also I think it's blatantly obvious he'll get 10m minimum, I would argue he'll get 15m minimum. For example, Flacco was an average QB who had a hot run in the playoffs, won a SB and got $20m. Regardless of stats, run first offense, blah, blah, if you win a SB, you're gonna get paid, period. RW is in the position of leverage here, not the Seahawks.

There are no ways around the cap like you say. You can't just give a low base salary with incentives and expect that won't count against the cap. Of course it will and you have to leave that wiggle room in your cap or else you'll be penalized. For instance, Richard Sherman was set to make 700k this year but he earned 1.5m in total due to contract escalators from all-pro, pro-bowl and SB appearances. You have to leave that extra 800k in the bank to account for your incentives in contracts.

Regarding the NFLPA, they're in the business of representing the players and the way the contracts work is by comparables. Opinions of other GM's or run first/pass first is irrelevant. Contract terms are dictated by someone setting the market and the rest of the contracts that year or next are based on that one by posiition. Also franchise tags are determined by top 5 salaries at the position and the NFLPA and players hate the franchise tag designee so they're trying to get the top players paid in order to make the amount obscene for teams so they won't want to use it and if they do, the player is over compensated for it in return for the risk of a short term deal. So the NFLPA would not be happy with a player, especially a QB, taking less and perhaps setting a precedent that more teams would ask because someone else did it. The expectation is that you're compensated based on performance, period and it's important for market stability. This is why Kap's contract is going to be a baseline to what RW will get and probably a little more.

RW's napkin goals are irrelevant. You think other QB's don't have goals like that? Also the concern over play makers or not is not his responsibility. The GM and coach are responsible for putting talent around him. Every team would love the problem of having a franchise QB with a large salary and having to field a contender caliber team each year. The fact that we've had the last 2 years, and ultimately 3, at a QB reduced salary is the exception and not the rule. It's a byproduct of the new CBA and the rookie wage scale.

It's strange to me how everyone gets so caught up on asking players to take less for the good of the team. Would you take less at your job so your company could hire another mail room clerk or role player equivalent? There is no loyalty in the NFL as it's a business first and foremost. Teams show no loyalty towards players, why would they show loyalty to ownership/teams?

It's not realistic and history shows us it will not happen.