Russell Wilson's Contract Extension

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Anthony!":20fjw8mp said:
AsylumGuido":20fjw8mp said:
randomation":20fjw8mp said:
I would not be surprised to see Russ sign a below market contract he wants to bee the best ever hard to do that when you are taking up 20% of your teams salary cap ala flacco.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. When you hire an agent you agree to follow that agent's "suggestions" and NO agent ever leaves money on the table.

Well you agree to consider the agents suggestions ultimately he has the final say, but give his agent will pressure for a high number, the NFLPA will pressure for it, other QBS will pressure for it, and the fact he has earned it he will get a high deal, 16-18 mil is my guess.

I absolutely agree. I heard the same rhetoric on the Falcon's board when Matt Ryan's contract came up. Many were saying he wanted to win so badly that he would definitely take below market to allow the retention and addition of players. That didn't happen.

Don't forget that Wilson is 25 and older than your average second year QB. If he sign a long term deal now for less than he can garner he is looking at his next chance of the mega deal being in his 30's. He is currently healthy and soon to be wearing a Super Bowl winning ring. He will, as he should, get a very substantial deal, unless of course, he take a huge step back in his output.

The Radish

Reaction score
A bit of exageration here,,,

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. When you hire an agent you agree to follow that agent's "suggestions" and NO agent ever leaves money on the table.

You agree to have your agent represent you but no one in his right mind lets an agent make all the decisions for him.

And I'm stuck on the idea we can't even talk to his agent or him about contract until after NEXT years SuperB owl. Numbers might be way different by then.

:141847_bnono:

JMR

Reaction score
Russell will get while the gettin is good, just like everyone else does. Just like we all would.

krixe

Reaction score
Russell is set to make around 2.8M from his 4year rookie contract, thats the only discount Russell is going to give to the Seahawks folks... This is no costco

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lol at 6 for 60. Cue "Dream On" by Aerosmith for that one.

I'm going to say 7 years, $120-130M for Wilson with the most guaranteed money in NFL history.

Penman96

Reaction score
His contract depends on his play next year, and what the guaranteed vs potential money is like. I supposes it will also follow the types of deals that guys like Newton and Kaep get this year and what Luck, RGIII, and others get next year. Also - maybe the cap is increasing so that could fuel his contract as well

For all the chatter about Flacco's deal it was $39 million guaranteed, so the $120 million / 6 years deal that gets used as an example all the time is a mirage. Quite unlikely he's actually going to get it all.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Penman96":3hghvsi2 said:
For all the chatter about Flacco's deal it was $39 million guaranteed, so the $120 million / 6 years deal that gets used as an example all the time is a mirage. Quite unlikely he's actually going to get it all.

Yeah in the end the guaranteed number is the most important to Wilson. Very rarely do NFL players see the full amount of their contract.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":55josxgq said:
A bit of exageration here,,,

You agree to have your agent represent you but no one in his right mind lets an agent make all the decisions for him.

And I'm stuck on the idea we can't even talk to his agent or him about contract until after NEXT years SuperB owl. Numbers might be way different by then.

:141847_bnono:
By then 20 million may not be enough this is why we must win now because after 2015 it may be a pipedream unless we change our focus completely to offense.

themunn

Reaction score
jblaze":1jvaegkh said:
It's the closest analogy that puts the person in a comparable position in their own mind and given circumstances. Obviously the details and dynamics vary drastically but it's the only comparison people can personally identify with. It's perfectly valid.

You guys making the quality of life argument are missing the point. Obviously the numbers are obscenely different and there are degrees to these factors but it's an analogy that puts the person in the middle of the situation the way these players would be because it's always easy to make decisions on the outside looking in. If you're honest with yourself and put yourself in his shoes, it changes the perspective and gives insight into the thought process.

I would not take less and neither will anyone else, period. It's not going to happen.

You guys are playing semantics. It's a simple analogy, of course it's not going to be perfect, but it serves the purpose of relative perspective.

It's not a quality of life argument though, it's a goal argument.
If your goal is to make 100 million and win 5 superbowls, and someone offers you 150 million but this makes it more difficult to win 5 superbowls, but told you if you took 100 million you could keep say Richard Sherman... what do you do?

100 million is an unfathomable amount of money to the regular guy, is it so far beyond the realm of belief that someone might take that?

Believe it or not... some people in this life don't hold money as the be all and end all.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3qhuwh04 said:
AsylumGuido":3qhuwh04 said:
randomation":3qhuwh04 said:
I would not be surprised to see Russ sign a below market contract he wants to bee the best ever hard to do that when you are taking up 20% of your teams salary cap ala flacco.

Well you agree to consider the agents suggestions ultimately he has the final say, but give his agent will pressure for a high number, the NFLPA will pressure for it, other QBS will pressure for it, and the fact he has earned it he will get a high deal, 16-18 mil is my guess.

I don't get the nflpa argument. The more the qbs get the less your veterans get.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This kid seems to always see the big picture. It would not surprise me if he were to continue developing alternative revenue streams and settle on a more reasonable second contract than he could otherwise demand.

Anthony!

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":1oidrmsm said:
Anthony!":1oidrmsm said:
AsylumGuido":1oidrmsm said:
randomation":1oidrmsm said:

I absolutely agree. I heard the same rhetoric on the Falcon's board when Matt Ryan's contract came up. Many were saying he wanted to win so badly that he would definitely take below market to allow the retention and addition of players. That didn't happen.

Don't forget that Wilson is 25 and older than your average second year QB. If he sign a long term deal now for less than he can garner he is looking at his next chance of the mega deal being in his 30's. He is currently healthy and soon to be wearing a Super Bowl winning ring. He will, as he should, get a very substantial deal, unless of course, he take a huge step back in his output.

Agreed but even if he takes a step back in production, it will depend on the why. IF he looses his whole o-line and his WR then no. We will have top wait and see. Barring injury the only way he takes a step back is if the play calling goes conservative again.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2lgl3s04 said:
lol at 6 for 60. Cue "Dream On" by Aerosmith for that one.

I'm going to say 7 years, $120-130M for Wilson with the most guaranteed money in NFL history.

That sounds a bout right and interestingly would be a discount compared to were the QB salaries are going ie 20+ mil

Anthony!

Reaction score
Penman96":2ljsnv8u said:
His contract depends on his play next year, and what the guaranteed vs potential money is like. I supposes it will also follow the types of deals that guys like Newton and Kaep get this year and what Luck, RGIII, and others get next year. Also - maybe the cap is increasing so that could fuel his contract as well

Yes and no, his contract doe snot depend on his play next year. HIs play next year can make the number go up, but he has already proven what he can do. If it depended on his play next year and the Hawks want a break, all they would have to do is call 80% runs, or call a lot of long passes, both of these will affect his platy and success. 2 straight years of top 10 play with a bad o-lien and no name wr has already proven he can do it. SO next year will only raise the number not lower it, barring injury that is. IF we do not pay it someone will, and if it is not us, we will be screwed again.

Anthony!

Reaction score
themunn":1oh4fv5y said:
jblaze":1oh4fv5y said:
It's the closest analogy that puts the person in a comparable position in their own mind and given circumstances. Obviously the details and dynamics vary drastically but it's the only comparison people can personally identify with. It's perfectly valid.

You guys making the quality of life argument are missing the point. Obviously the numbers are obscenely different and there are degrees to these factors but it's an analogy that puts the person in the middle of the situation the way these players would be because it's always easy to make decisions on the outside looking in. If you're honest with yourself and put yourself in his shoes, it changes the perspective and gives insight into the thought process.

I would not take less and neither will anyone else, period. It's not going to happen.

You guys are playing semantics. It's a simple analogy, of course it's not going to be perfect, but it serves the purpose of relative perspective.

It's not a quality of life argument though, it's a goal argument.
If your goal is to make 100 million and win 5 superbowls, and someone offers you 150 million but this makes it more difficult to win 5 superbowls, but told you if you took 100 million you could keep say Richard Sherman... what do you do?

100 million is an unfathomable amount of money to the regular guy, is it so far beyond the realm of belief that someone might take that?

Believe it or not... some people in this life don't hold money as the be all and end all.

except keeping Sherman doe snot guarentee anything, getting the extra 50 mil guarentees an extra 50 mil. Here is the other thing, why would a guy who wants to be the best QB ever want to stay in a run first offense? A chance for 150 mil as opposed to 100 mil and going to a team that will build the offense around you might be very very tempting. a difference of 50 mil is to big to turn down, so sorry he would take the 150 over the 100. Now if its 140 or 150 then the 140 might work but 50 mil is way to big a difference.

Anthony!

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1wayefyr said:
This kid seems to always see the big picture. It would not surprise me if he were to continue developing alternative revenue streams and settle on a more reasonable second contract than he could otherwise demand.

Define reasonable? if the going rate is 18 mil, he might go for 16 mil but he is not going to go for 12 mil.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I think for Rw there is going to be more going on than just money. He wants to be the best QB ever. It is hard to do that in a run first offense. Winning QBs alone, given our offense and defense will not be enough to make him the best, He would need to be seen as one of the main reasons we won the SB. Heck there are guys on this and other boards, supposed fans who think we could have won the SB with TJ or just about any qb. Untrue but if our own fans think that way you know the experts think that way.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Anthony!":2uwwxu2g said:
I think for Rw there is going to be more going on than just money. He wants to be the best QB ever. It is hard to do that in a run first offense. Winning QBs alone, given our offense and defense will not be enough to make him the best, He would need to be seen as one of the main reasons we won the SB. Heck there are guys on this and other boards, supposed fans who think we could have won the SB with TJ or just about any qb. Untrue but if our own fans think that way you know the experts think that way.

We won't be a run first offense for a whole lot longer. Once Lynch starts hitting his peak, we will have to rely on Russ more and more. We did trade for Percy Harvin, so I would think there are plans that reach far beyond what we saw this year.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I was listening to Sports Radio the other day and someone was mentioning that between the coaches at the Combine. The overall view on Russell Wilson is that he's an AVERAGE QB surrounded by a good team. That being said, lets hope that performance proves them wrong, but that mindset remains. It'll do nothing but help keep to keep RW as a salary cap friendly price. I just don't want that Ravens-Flacco outcome to happen the Seahawks.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ZagHawk":ntthz9dd said:
I was listening to Sports Radio the other day and someone was mentioning that between the coaches at the Combine. The overall view on Russell Wilson is that he's an AVERAGE QB surrounded by a good team. That being said, lets hope that performance proves them wrong, but that mindset remains. It'll do nothing but help keep to keep RW as a salary cap friendly price. I just don't want that Ravens-Flacco outcome to happen the Seahawks.

Actually it was one person saying he asked a couple of unnamed coaches, So in other words it was nothing but one persons opinion, which means little. Anyone who has watched Rw play knows better, and his stats prove it.