Russell Wilson's Contract Extension

jblaze

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2odf66qh said:
Anthony!":2odf66qh said:
I think for Rw there is going to be more going on than just money. He wants to be the best QB ever. It is hard to do that in a run first offense. Winning QBs alone, given our offense and defense will not be enough to make him the best, He would need to be seen as one of the main reasons we won the SB. Heck there are guys on this and other boards, supposed fans who think we could have won the SB with TJ or just about any qb. Untrue but if our own fans think that way you know the experts think that way.

We won't be a run first offense for a whole lot longer. Once Lynch starts hitting his peak, we will have to rely on Russ more and more. We did trade for Percy Harvin, so I would think there are plans that reach far beyond what we saw this year.

When Lynch starts hitting his peak? You mean his decline? He's past his peak.

I think CMike is an amazing RB who will do just fine in 2015 once we move on from Lynch. I also think we invest in OL this draft and next which should help greatly.

Regarding Harvin, he's going to allow us to do a lot of different and dynamic things like the fly sweeps, bubble/tunnel screens, etc which are less traditional and keep defenses off kilter. I don't think his acquisition means we're going pass heavy per se, just when we do, it'll be dynamic with big play potential. Harvin is not the typical #1 WR you target 12 times a game, he's more about matchups and moving in space.

Penman96

Reaction score
Our scheme is a run first offense. We get players to fit what we are doing. The scheme is ultimately more important than the components we plug into it. There's a reason we love drafting RB's!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
So a lot of people laughed down my 6 for 60 million + 30 mil incentive base pay with 30 million guaranteed and a few told me to dream on.

Okay, what if the Seahawks offered an extension worth:

6 years for 75 million + 24 million in incentive base pay with 36 million guaranteed.

Yr
1. 10 million + 5 million IBP (incentive based pay)
2. 11 million + 5 million IBP
3. 12 million + 4 million IBP
4. 13 million + 4 million IBP
5. 14 million + 3 million IBP
6. 15 million + 3 million IBP

Total possible worth:

Yr
1. 15 mil (guaranteed money 8 mil* + 2 mil prorated signing bonus)
2. 16 mil (8 mil* + 2 mil signing bonus)
3. 16 mil (8 mil* + 2 mil signing bonus)
4. 17 mil (2 mil)
5. 17 mil (2 mil)
6. 18 mil (2 mil)

So, basically in Wilson first three years, his regular salary is 33 million with a chance at another 14 million in various incentives. However, of that 33 million, 30 million would be guaranteed in this mock contract.

The funny thing is that from my prior mock 6 yr 60/90/30 proposition I only added 9 million in the 6 yr 75/99/36 proposition.

The difference between the two contracts I proposed other than explaining where the money goes is:

+1 mil per year in guaranteed money from averaging 5 mil to 6 mil.
+2.5 mil per year in average regular salary from averaging 10 mil to 12.5 mil
-6 mil in incentive base pay from averaging 5 mil per to 4 mil

1st Contract proposal:

$10 mil per year average/ $15 mil possible worth through performance base incentives

2nd contract proposal:

$12.5 per year average/ 16.5 per year average with performance incentives

Either one pays great money as long as Wilson his meeting his performance escalators. And both give him modest base pay without sinking all of our cap into one player.

And yes I believe Wilson will want and accept a similar contract to the ones that I proposed. Because he'll get a lot of money either way but it won't sacrifice the teams competitive window for a couple more notes in the banks. And at least to me he certainly doesn't seem like the egoistical jerk that is going to be concerned about what the top paid QBs are going to make.

Under this scenario, in 9 years in the NFL, he would have possibly made a hair over $100 million dollars, but there is a strong possibility as he keeps building his name into his own company that he could be worth 3x times as much through endorsements plus his own investment opportunities.

And in the future as in 20-30 years from now maybe Allen just leaves the Seahawks to Wilson in his Will after Wilson took the team to 4 more championships as a player and a few more as a coach because an unselfish player in 2015 chose not to handicap the team's cap like every quarterback does as some point.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NLFN is speculating Keapernick gets 15-18 million, likely the lower in that range so your guess isn't ridiculous Pandion. Basically Cutler money, to me that's very fair for a first contact.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":36wpzyan said:
NLFN is speculating Keapernick gets 15-18 million, likely the lower in that range so your guess isn't ridiculous Pandion. Basically Cutler money, to me that's very fair for a first contract.

Think about it...how does one spend $1 million a month? :shock:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1u87xp82 said:
Anthony!":1u87xp82 said:
I think for Rw there is going to be more going on than just money. He wants to be the best QB ever. It is hard to do that in a run first offense. Winning QBs alone, given our offense and defense will not be enough to make him the best, He would need to be seen as one of the main reasons we won the SB. Heck there are guys on this and other boards, supposed fans who think we could have won the SB with TJ or just about any qb. Untrue but if our own fans think that way you know the experts think that way.

We won't be a run first offense for a whole lot longer. Once Lynch starts hitting his peak, we will have to rely on Russ more and more. We did trade for Percy Harvin, so I would think there are plans that reach far beyond what we saw this year.
Wow it took you enough time to realize the obvious. This team will be focused on Wilson and Harvin next year and even moreso once Wilson gets his second contract. You do understand they're the same age pretty much? .

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2mwowb20 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2mwowb20 said:
NLFN is speculating Keapernick gets 15-18 million, likely the lower in that range so your guess isn't ridiculous Pandion. Basically Cutler money, to me that's very fair for a first contract.

He'll probably give an endowment to Seattle Children Hospital and start investing given he wants to own a NFL team. I hope Paul Allen gives him a shot to own the Seahawks when the time comes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3sd9kzt7 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3sd9kzt7 said:

He'll probably give an endowment to Seattle Children Hospital and start investing given he wants to own a NFL team. I hope Paul Allen gives a shot to own the Seahawks when the time comes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NLFN is speculating Keapernick gets 15-18 million, likely the lower in that range so your guess isn't ridiculous Pandion.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3mpzkzhm said:
Bigpumpkin":3mpzkzhm said:
MizzouHawkGal":3mpzkzhm said:

He'll probably give an endowment to Seattle Children Hospital and start investing given he wants to own a NFL team. I hope Paul Allen gives him a shot to own the Seahawks when the time comes.

....you never know!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1oqcwmv0 said:
So a lot of people laughed down my 6 for 60 million + 30 mil incentive base pay with 30 million guaranteed and a few told me to dream on.

Okay, what if the Seahawks offered an extension worth:

6 years for 75 million + 24 million in incentive base pay with 36 million guaranteed.

Yr
1. 10 million + 5 million IBP (incentive based pay)
2. 11 million + 5 million IBP
3. 12 million + 4 million IBP
4. 13 million + 4 million IBP
5. 14 million + 3 million IBP
6. 15 million + 3 million IBP

Total possible worth:

Yr
1. 15 mil (guaranteed money 8 mil* + 2 mil prorated signing bonus)
2. 16 mil (8 mil* + 2 mil signing bonus)
3. 16 mil (8 mil* + 2 mil signing bonus)
4. 17 mil (2 mil)
5. 17 mil (2 mil)
6. 18 mil (2 mil)

So, basically in Wilson first three years, his regular salary is 33 million with a chance at another 14 million in various incentives. However, of that 33 million, 30 million would be guaranteed in this mock contract.

The funny thing is that from my prior mock 6 yr 60/90/30 proposition I only added 9 million in the 6 yr 75/99/36 proposition.

The difference between the two contracts I proposed other than explaining where the money goes is:

+1 mil per year in guaranteed money from averaging 5 mil to 6 mil.
+2.5 mil per year in average regular salary from averaging 10 mil to 12.5 mil
-6 mil in incentive base pay from averaging 5 mil per to 4 mil

1st Contract proposal:

$10 mil per year average/ $15 mil possible worth through performance base incentives

2nd contract proposal:

$12.5 per year average/ 16.5 per year average with performance incentives

Either one pays great money as long as Wilson his meeting his performance escalators. And both give him modest base pay without sinking all of our cap into one player.

And yes I believe Wilson will want and accept a similar contract to the ones that I proposed. Because he'll get a lot of money either way but it won't sacrifice the teams competitive window for a couple more notes in the banks. And at least to me he certainly doesn't seem like the egoistical jerk that is going to be concerned about what the top paid QBs are going to make.

Under this scenario, in 9 years in the NFL, he would have possibly made a hair over $100 million dollars, but there is a strong possibility as he keeps building his name into his own company that he could be worth 3x times as much through endorsements plus his own investment opportunities.

And in the future as in 20-30 years from now maybe Allen just leaves the Seahawks to Wilson in his Will after Wilson took the team to 4 more championships as a player and a few more as a coach because an unselfish player in 2015 chose not to handicap the team's cap like every quarterback does as some point.

So basically its 6 years 99 mil, might be a bit low, given Kap is likely in the 15-18 mil range according NFLN, but we will see.

JMR

Reaction score
I don't think signing bonus cap hits can be spread over 6 years. Not sure what this CBA limits it to, but the previous one was 4 or 5.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":i66y6sm4 said:
AbsolutNET":i66y6sm4 said:
Anthony!":i66y6sm4 said:

Wow it took you enough time to realize the obvious. This team will be focused on Wilson and Harvin next year and even moreso once Wilson gets his second contract. You do understand they're the same age pretty much? .

LOL. Ahhh, a woman's touch.

jblaze

Reaction score
RW wants to own a franchise one day, he's not taking a discount. Neither is he going to take a heavy incentive laden deal, that's ridiculous. That's for unproven guys or guys coming off injuries. RW gets what he deserves. He's far outperformed his contact and deserves what he gets.

NorCal

Reaction score
There is an issue with structuring the contract with a bunch of incentive based pay escalators. For one, large QB contracts do not typically have a lot of them. And considering RWs success so far, some of those incentives will not be available. For an incentive to not count towards the cap, they have to be "not likely to be achieved", which means something that RW has not accomplished yet. So you're basically looking at things like league MVP, SB MVP, etc. I can't see RW's agent wanting to base a decent portion of the contract in any given year on those types of incentives. Its about guaranteed money.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russ is getting 6 years/120, give or take a couple mil, maybe more if the cap goes up significantly.