RW has best QB rating against blitz

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
But... but.... it looks like..... but.... he’s short..... but he’s a backup in this league.... but

rcaido

Reaction score
Didn't you know if you underthrow you get better passer rating.

Seymour

Reaction score
rcaido":11njqzcn said:
Didn't you know if you underthrow you get better passer rating.

Actually I do, and so does Russell. An overthrown ball cannot be caught, and underthrown one can.

Not talking about all passes, talking about down field passes 20+ yards where the receiver has time to adjust.

rcaido

Reaction score
According to some its not elite if you underthrow a ball that only your receiver can get...Doesn't matter if its a higher percentage then an overthrow, its short must mean he isn't accurate enough.

Seymour

Reaction score
rcaido":319cd80o said:
According to some its not elite if you underthrow a ball that only your receiver can get...Doesn't matter if its a higher percentage then an overthrow, its short must mean he isn't accurate enough.

They don't have a clue then. You also get penalties like we did against the whiners because the defender will often get caught with interference. :2thumbs:

You try to make the perfect throw but error to the short side.

I see far too many other QB's overthow wide open receivers. This is one reason Wilson is top 3 in deep passes...but dont tell the oblivious enemy. ;)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2vcvx8j0 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2vcvx8j0 said:
KiwiHawk":2vcvx8j0 said:
One of the metrics for passer rating is yards per attempt, which is is going to be low for guys like Brady who dump the ball off immediately to the outlet receiver. The more mobile QBs who hold the ball longer are naturally going to be ranked higher, particularly since sacks don't count.

It's really a very poor metric, and an even worse one for situational data sets

Fun fact: Only 2 Seattle QBs have ever had a perfect passing rating for a game: Russell Wilson and Dave Kreig.
Fun fact 2: Peyton Manning had 4 perfect passer rating games, and one 0 passer rating game.

So why isn’t Newton at the top of the list?

Because his theory is a hip shot in the dark that missed the broad side of the barn. ;)

Mariota
Prescott
Rodgers
Newton
Taylor

are all mobile QB's and they all are bottom half of the league.
Um Rodgers is #2 on the best-vs-the-blitz list. Nice try.

It makes logical sense - you need more time to throw longer, so you have to buy that time unless your OL is amazing at picking up blitzes.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
PS: I like how saying that Wilson is mobile and tends to keep plays alive longer when blitzed is taken as an attack on Wilson such that you all must come pile on defending him. You do know I like Wilson, right? Have been a supporter since Day 1? Right? Or maybe you weren't around then because the bandwagon hadn't happened yet.

PPS: You know not all QBs meet the other criteria for high passer ratings other than staying alive long enough to average over 12.5 yards per attempt?

This is one of the things that is so frustrating about participating on this board. Make a reasoned argument and you are met with strawmen and other logical fallacies just because someone perceives you might be knocking a player they are fond of, largely due to either not reading or not understanding what you wrote. Hell, half the time I don't think people read past the poster name and just respond to what they think your position might be based on something you posted in another thread.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1ijrbjtz said:
PS: I like how saying that Wilson is mobile and tends to keep plays alive longer when blitzed is taken as an attack on Wilson such that you all must come pile on defending him. You do know I like Wilson, right? Have been a supporter since Day 1? Right? Or maybe you weren't around then because the bandwagon hadn't happened yet.

PPS: You know not all QBs meet the other criteria for high passer ratings other than staying alive long enough to average over 12.5 yards per attempt?

This is one of the things that is so frustrating about participating on this board. Make a reasoned argument and you are met with strawmen and other logical fallacies just because someone perceives you might be knocking a player they are fond of, largely due to either not reading or not understanding what you wrote. Hell, half the time I don't think people read past the poster name and just respond to what they think your position might be based on something you posted in another thread.

This is why we can't have nice things.

So let me get this straight? A dot net member posts a tweet about RW having a great QBR against the blitz. You jump on here and flame the QBR with a logical fallacy THEN proceed to bash someone for sticking up for the OP by proving your eyeballs wrong?

P.S. Erin has 280% the rushing yards of Tom Brady. That must make him an Elite rusher.

P.P.S. If 8 out of the top ten against the blitz aren't typical "dual threat" QBs, your attempt at an argument is unsubstantiated.

Lamar violation 31

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's also the highest rated QB since week 3 too bad he's not elite.... :sarcasm_on:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Go ahead and blitz him, good luck with that.
Russ is just really damn good. Not sure anything he does should surprise anyone at this point. This guy can do it all on the field, and most importantly is clutch when it counts. What is more annoying than anything is that people will point out one or two bad plays in a game that he is lights out. As if EVERY QB in the league doesn't make bad throws. Believe it or not, they actually do. :roll:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":19u9uui5 said:
Go ahead and blitz him, good luck with that.
Russ is just really damn good. Not sure anything he does should surprise anyone at this point. This guy can do it all on the field, and most importantly is clutch when it counts. What is more annoying than anything is that people will point out one or two bad plays in a game that he is lights out. As if EVERY QB in the league doesn't make bad throws. Believe it or not, they actually do. :roll:

But they’re all taller, so that’s expected.

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3izawt7l said:
Seymour":3izawt7l said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3izawt7l said:
KiwiHawk":3izawt7l said:
One of the metrics for passer rating is yards per attempt, which is is going to be low for guys like Brady who dump the ball off immediately to the outlet receiver. The more mobile QBs who hold the ball longer are naturally going to be ranked higher, particularly since sacks don't count.

It's really a very poor metric, and an even worse one for situational data sets

Fun fact: Only 2 Seattle QBs have ever had a perfect passing rating for a game: Russell Wilson and Dave Kreig.
Fun fact 2: Peyton Manning had 4 perfect passer rating games, and one 0 passer rating game.

So why isn’t Newton at the top of the list?

Because his theory is a hip shot in the dark that missed the broad side of the barn. ;)

Mariota
Prescott
Rodgers
Newton
Taylor

are all mobile QB's and they all are bottom half of the league.

It makes logical sense - you need more time to throw longer, so you have to buy that time unless your OL is amazing at picking up blitzes.

You should read your OWN post again! You said YARDS PER ATTEMPT, and that is what I was talking about.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour: I said Yards Per Attempt because it's one of the 4 metrics of the passer rating.

Sox-N-Hawks: Observing that QBs who have a tendency to extend a play looking for a longer throw, Like Wilson and Rodgers, will naturally have a higher passer rating than quick-dump-off QBs like Brady, because yards-per-attempt is one of the metrics of the passer rating, is an OBSERVATION, not a FLAME.

Why must everything here be combative? Can't we have a discussion without people instantly taking sides and assuming the other is attacking? It's getting positively stupid around here.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2qi7ri5d said:
Seymour: I said Yards Per Attempt because it's one of the 4 metrics of the passer rating.

Sox-N-Hawks: Observing that QBs who have a tendency to extend a play looking for a longer throw, Like Wilson and Rodgers, will naturally have a higher passer rating than quick-dump-off QBs like Brady, because yards-per-attempt is one of the metrics of the passer rating, is an OBSERVATION, not a FLAME.

Why must everything here be combative? Can't we have a discussion without people instantly taking sides and assuming the other is attacking? It's getting positively stupid around here.

If that’s the case, start a thread discussing the merits (or lack there of) with the QBR system, instead of pulling strings on this one. Just some advice.

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1zqf5fq8 said:

Sounds like you not only are confusing others, but also yourself. If you were talking about passer rating then why did you respond talking about Rodgers 2nd in vs blitz?

KiwiHawk":1zqf5fq8 said:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":10vhhxg5 said:
KiwiHawk":10vhhxg5 said:

Sounds like you not only are confusing others, but also yourself. If you were talking about passer rating then why did you respond talking about Rodgers 2nd in vs blitz?

KiwiHawk":10vhhxg5 said:
Because the metric being measured to rank QBs vs the blitz is passer rating?

What did you think it was, shoe size? Wonderlic score?

It even says "According to Passer Rating" on the damn graphic.

Sox-N-Hawks":10vhhxg5 said:
If that’s the case, start a thread discussing the merits (or lack there of) with the QBR system, instead of pulling strings on this one. Just some advice.

We used to be able to discuss football on this forum because people knew enough about football to understand passer rating is a different stat than QBR.

Now I not only have to explain they are two different things, but also apparently host a class in the merits of a stat I'm not even using.

And when someone sees such high-falutin' talk as someone understanding the components of the passer rating and how a quarterback's style might influence his number, well that's just an attack against our QB! Joe-Bob, grab the pitchforks! Martha, get yer boomstick!

rcaido

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2zz8v4dz said:
Seymour":2zz8v4dz said:

Because the metric being measured to rank QBs vs the blitz is passer rating?

What did you think it was, shoe size? Wonderlic score?

It even says "According to Passer Rating" on the damn graphic.

Sox-N-Hawks":2zz8v4dz said:

We used to be able to discuss football on this forum because people knew enough about football to understand passer rating is a different stat than QBR.

Now I not only have to explain they are two different things, but also apparently host a class in the merits of a stat I'm not even using.

And when someone sees such high-falutin' talk as someone understanding the components of the passer rating and how a quarterback's style might influence his number, well that's just an attack against our QB! Joe-Bob, grab the pitchforks! Martha, get yer boomstick!

Erin gets praise for his passer rating...Wilson for some reason pads his stats w/ sacks and because he is a mobile QB.

There is always a slight or excuse for some reason against Wilson...

Wilson cant win without Lynch
Wilson cant win without LOB
Wilson cant throw from the pocket
Wilson is too fat
Wilson is too religious
Wilson has too many distractions
Wilson holds on too the ball too long
Passer rating is not a QB stat
He only scores in the 4th quarter
He only throws 25 times a game not worth the money
His elite number are only elite because its a passing league now
Wilson underthrows
Wilson too short not black enough
Wilson cheats by throwing shoes...

When other QBs struggle...Its the coach, no offensive line, not enough play makers.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
rcaido":1ak2f8qb said:
Erin gets praise for his passer rating...Wilson for some reason pads his stats w/ sacks and because he is a mobile QB.

There is always a slight or excuse for some reason against Wilson...

Wilson cant win without Lynch
Wilson cant win without LOB
Wilson cant throw from the pocket
Wilson is too fat
Wilson is too religious
Wilson has too many distractions
Wilson holds on too the ball too long
Passer rating is not a QB stat
He only scores in the 4th quarter
He only throws 25 times a game not worth the money
His elite number are only elite because its a passing league now
Wilson underthrows
Wilson too short not black enough
Wilson cheats by throwing shoes...

When other QBs struggle...Its the coach, no offensive line, not enough play makers.

... ?!?!?

Seriously?

This is how this went down...

Them: "Wilson is #1 against the blitz *According to passer rating. Brady's down near the bottom"
Me: "The more mobile QBs who hold the ball longer are naturally going to be ranked higher, particularly since sacks don't count."
Them: "Mariota, Prescott, Rodgers, Newton, Taylor are all mobile QB's and they all are bottom half of the league."
Me: "Um, Rodgers is literally #2 on the list behind Wilson"
Them: "Erin gets praise for his passer rating...Wilson for some reason pads his stats w/ sacks and because he is a mobile QB"

What the actual &$*#?

I am not singing the praises of anyone nor damning anyone. I WAS OBSERVING HOW THE PASSER RATING REWARDS LONGER PASSES (and therefore conversely punishes dump-offs) AND DOESN'T PUNISH SACKS. That's all. It was an OBSERVATION, not a comparison, not a diss, not a flame.

You people are .... There just aren't words I can use that are acceptable int he main forum, but you are those.

Screw me for making an observation.