Ryan Clark: We got beat by the best player in the NFL...

Joey13091

Reaction score
Smellyman":2czyddej said:
Chris Harris said same after Bronco game.

going to become a theme.
Yeah. I got into a argument with a few people that week on twitter about Wilson vs luck.

Then chris Harris followed me. Lol

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Brees, Manning, Brady, and Rivers would get killed with our line.

Rodgers and Luck are sneaky mobile and would fair better.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawks46":1o2wpnpa said:
I'd actually disagree. Luck is bigger and stronger than Russ, is an underrated athlete (had the same combine numbers as Cam Newton), and has a better pocket prescence than Wilson does. Wilson still tends to bail from the pocket too soon, but I don't knock him because I think it's a field vision issue. I think Luck would thrive behind our OL, and be able to run the read option almost as well. I still think Wilson is a better QB because he's more accurate and throws less INT's, but that's about it.

LOL.

Luck would take 50% more sacks behind our line, if not more. Luck is a fast runner, he is not quick and elusive the way Wilson is, which is what REALLY matters when talking about scrambling from poor protection. Better pocket presence? Probably. Luck has had better pass pro in the NFL than Wilson has, consistently. Russell is covering up bad pass pro on a regular basis and not getting enough credit for it from most people.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Is there no thread safe from being turned into a Luck vs Wilson debate?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
davidonmi":3jsnj240 said:
weird, because according to pete prisco good QB's have to throw exclusively from the pocket
This. Prisco will always be of this mindset. Where I worked, we had the saying "1000 'attaboys are erased by 1 aw sh#t" Everytime Wilson leaves the pocket is a huge negative in his mind, regarless of the outcome.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":279c0nhr said:
I realize this is a totally homerish thing to say, but honestly, who is a more significant individual contributor in this league? Put Andrew Luck behind our O-Line and watch the guy get killed. Put Peyton Manning behind that O-Line, and it's the same deal. On the play where Russ turned a broken 3rd down pass in to a sideline scramble and toss to Beast for a large chunk of yards plus a potentially game saving first down, it is safe to say that Russell is the only QB in the NFL who could make that play happen. The only one. His scrambling ability is not a quirk to his game because he can't throw from the pocket (he can throw quite well from it). His scrambling ability gives us the freedom to let our O-Line sell out on run blocking, and there is not another team in the NFL who can do it like we do.

Russell is a dynamic, generational talent. His closest comparison in the modern era is Brett Favre, and that comparison is based solely on his fearlessness and ability to magically transform a busted play in to a huge gain.

God, I love watching this kid play football. It truly is a joy to witness. I knew from the moment I watched his college film, post-draft, that he would be a superstar.
Great points, excellent post! :th2thumbs:

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":3rp1y9ik said:
“We got beat by a better team,” safety Ryan Clark said. “We got beat by, as far as I’m concerned this weekend, the best player in the NFL. Russell Wilson made every play he had to make for his team to win, and we didn’t.”

I'm reading that as him saying that Russell was the best player in the NFL *this weekend*. And I tend to agree.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
A reminder: this past summer, Vernon Davis called Russell Wilson the best QB in the NFL.

Vernon Davis: I think among the 31 NFL quarterbacks who don’t throw me passes, Russell Wilson is the best. He’s got all the tools; he has the ability to keep the play alive, and he’s very accurate with a strong arm. He exemplifies what it takes to be a winning QB in the NFL. If you asked me to choose based on record and experience, I’d take Tom Brady or Peyton Manning—but in terms of right now, my pick is Wilson.

Also, don't forget that Kevin Williams stated that a big reason why he signed with the Seahawks was because Russell Wilson was their QB. The Vikings had played the Seahawks twice in the Russell Wilson era. The players who see him play know.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wrccmlo said:

Nope.

Luck only leads the league in passing yards and TD's .. while Wilson is obviously Wilson.. it's just mind blowing to me that people can't just say they are both phenomenal QB's.

This must be what it was like to be a Pats/Colts fan during the twilight of the Brady-Manning days.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":djenxwml said:
Sgt. Largent":djenxwml said:

Nope.

Luck only leads the league in passing yards and TD's .. while Wilson is obviously Wilson.. it's just mind blowing to me that people can't just say they are both phenomenal QB's.

This must be what it was like to be a Pats/Colts fan during the twilight of the Brady-Manning days.

Yeah, Wilson/Luck is the new Brady/Manning argument. Ultimately, Brady was the winner, Manning was the stat man.

Its interesting because Patriots fans, while understandably hating the Colts for historical reasons, if you read their forums, they're the one fanbase that will take Wilson over Luck in this emerging argument, and they are extremely jealous as well.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3dd4z46k said:
Hasselbeck":3dd4z46k said:
Sgt. Largent":3dd4z46k said:

Nope.

Yeah, Wilson/Luck is the new Brady/Manning argument. Ultimately, Brady was the winner, Manning was the stat man.

Its interesting because Patriots fans, while understandably hating the Colts for historical reasons, if you read their forums, they're the one fanbase that will take Wilson over Luck in this emerging argument, and they are extremely jealous as well.
Because like many East Coast fanbases they know football because they have years on us sometimes 80-100 or something. They have experienced probably the best quarterback in history (it's him or Joe Montana pretty much) the last 15 years and know the real deal when they see it.

endzorn

Reaction score
I also found this quote buried in a Peter King article this morning...

"When Russell Wilson bats his eyelashes in a press conference I feels like someone spilled Chobani in my pajama bottoms" - AbsolutNet

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":32vapid5 said:
hieroglyphics":32vapid5 said:
Hasselbeck":32vapid5 said:
Sgt. Largent":32vapid5 said:

Nope.

Because like many East Coast fanbases they know football because they have years on us sometimes 80-100 or something. They have experienced probably the best quarterback in history (it's him or Joe Montana pretty much) the last 15 years and know the real deal when they see it.

I have some Boston friends who I've had to put up with for YEARS listening to their annoying style of talking about their sports teams, but they are in awe now of the Seahawks, and not in a manner where people want to hate on them. As much as I've disliked the Patriots over the years, I do feel their the one fanbase that knows how to dish out respect. And they really do respect Wilson.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3jsx2044 said:
Sgt. Largent":3jsx2044 said:

Nope.

Also leads the league in INTS but whos really counting.

Mick063

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but this is from my own observations.

I think the only quarterback that can remotely approach what Russell is doing is Bridgewater from the Vikings. He isn't quite as nimble, but has very good pocket feel, very good escapability, looks down field while on the move, has situational awareness, and doesn't seem rattled by chaos around him. I don't foresee much read option from him, but he displays similar elusiveness with the drop back passes. I love watching that kid play. I think he is going to be a star.

I would include RGIII in this except that I believe he is instead headed down the "Vick-like" injury path. If RGIII could get a clue on protecting himself when tucking the ball and taking off, if he could consistently look downfield for receivers while on the move, while maintaining a 70% completion percentage, he could approximate Russell. His rookie season was rather spectacular but his development has hit a wall due to injury. Mostly due to his inability to protect himself although the latest injury was somewhat of a fluke.

The only other QB that somewhat reminds me of Russell is BJ Daniel. That's right. BJ Daniel.

Even comparing those players to Russell is kind of a stretch. Face it. Russell is truly unique and a whole different metric is required to measure him. He doesn't fit nicely into the preprogrammed prototype.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I also agree Wilson is the best player in the league. The fact he plays (championship) QB makes that statement all the truer, imo. The few that complain about his ...well, anything, just ain't watchin' close enough.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2yi8n2ew said:
it's just mind blowing to me that people can't just say they are both phenomenal QB's.
Maybe it's your history of being in such a bromance with Luck?

Here, let's review some of your post history regarding Luck:
You say the Colts have had a terrible defense with Luck. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93411&p=1353959#p1353959 The Colts defense sucked in 2012, but it ranked 16th in DVOA in 2013. Average. Not elite like ours of course, but not even close to horrible; and last year, their rushing offense ranked 11th. More importantly, Seattle's pass protection ranked 32nd in the NFL last year per DVOA while Luck's ranked 6th. Offensive line rankings aren't great by FO or anybody else for that matter, but anybody with a pair of eyes that actually see understands that our pass pro was TERRIBLE, while Luck's has actually been pretty good. It also makes a HUGE difference for the development of young QBs.

Then, after our loss in Indy last year, you said "Lets just overlook the fact that the one QB that absolutely shredded the best secondary in football in 20+ years was Andrew Luck." viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92240&p=1325045#p1325045
Hyperbole, much? Let's review: Luck's stats that day were 16/29 (55.1% completion rating) for 2 TDs, 0 ints, and 229 yards INCLUDING a 73-yard TD pass to T.Y. Hilton that happened solely because of broken coverage from a miscommunication between Sherman and Earl. Don't forget that one of Indy's scores was a blocked Hauschka field goal attempt returned for a TD. Plus, their "most turriblest defense evar" (how it comes across from your post, not a quote obviously) did manage to pick Wilson off towards the end of the 4th quarter to seal the deal. Not to mention, the officials screwed us several times that game. Luck had a good day, and we didn't play like we normally do and that's on us, but you WILDLY misrepresented it and you use your misrepresentations to knock anybody that doesn't think Luck is at least Wilson's equal if not his superior, while pointing out ad nauseum that the Seahawks have a better surrounding cast top-to-bottom than Luck, which is not true, to boot. See, some of us remember these things, Hasselbeck. I know, post history can be ever so inconvenient sometimes.

I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm absolutely not.

Latest posts