Ryan Kelly will be the first Seahawk draft pick this year...

xgeoff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":39zomh3e said:
McGruff":39zomh3e said:
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Back in 2005 Matt was asked who he thought they would draft, he said "probably a center."

It was thought to be a good natured shot to the ribs of Robbie Tobeck. But a few weeks later they drafter Chris Spencer.

I've got some work to do on centers, and Kelly will be the first stop.
Evan Boehm in the mid rounds

Please no. This kid got his ass kicked on almost every play in the Senior Bowl...

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":7vezj3jt said:
If getting a center with experience is important to us . . .

Jake Brendel, UCLA . . . 4 year starter at center.
Ryan Kelly, Alabama . . . 3 year starter at center.
Nick Martin . . . 2.5 year starter at center.

But we know versatility is important to Seattle, and Martin is the only one of the three with demonstrable versatility at other positions.

Graham Glasgow is another possibility. He played C at Michigan but is being looked at primarily as a G. Love Nick Martin, BTW. Would be great if we got him.

McGruff

Reaction score
xgeoff":1u54smy7 said:
McGruff":1u54smy7 said:
If getting a center with experience is important to us . . .

Jake Brendel, UCLA . . . 4 year starter at center.
Ryan Kelly, Alabama . . . 3 year starter at center.
Nick Martin . . . 2.5 year starter at center.

But we know versatility is important to Seattle, and Martin is the only one of the three with demonstrable versatility at other positions.

Graham Glasgow is another possibility. He played C at Michigan but is being looked at primarily as a G. Love Nick Martin, BTW. Would be great if we got him.

Glasgow is up there as one of my favorite linemen. He falls just below the ahtletic profile Seattle craves (as does Martin) but they are close enough to the threshold that I included them in a previous list.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
xgeoff":121m5f0d said:
TeamoftheCentury":121m5f0d said:
McGruff":121m5f0d said:
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Back in 2005 Matt was asked who he thought they would draft, he said "probably a center."

It was thought to be a good natured shot to the ribs of Robbie Tobeck. But a few weeks later they drafter Chris Spencer.

Please no. This kid got his ass kicked on almost every play in the Senior Bowl...
Hmmm. Strange. McGovern's success at Missouri is credited to playing with the likes of Boehm. I'll have to go back and take a look. Besides Boehms being the problem in those instances, is there any other possible reason for what you observed of his play? Scheme, etc.?

Here's one source I remember reading about Boehm and McGovern.
Edit: I love that he's played on a line with (Mitch) Morse and (Evan) Boehm. Those are two great leaders." -- Southwest area scout http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555133

Note that I'm not clamoring for the Seahawks to draft Boehm. I was sort of thinking beyond the first few rounds about potential "best of the rest" types. That a prospect like McGovern did well due to the leadership of a Boehm might say something. Maybe the Hawks have drafted enough McGoverns that need some leadership. The Center position is one that needs a leader type.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":7o29brrm said:
TeamoftheCentury":7o29brrm said:
McGruff":7o29brrm said:
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Evan Boehm will never be a Seahawk. Short arms, limited athletic profile.

The list of possible centers for Seattle is probably limited to these names:

Ryan Kelly
Connor McGovern
Cody Whitehall
Jake Brenda
Graham Glasgow
Nick Martin

Even those last two players are borderline. They be the least athletic centers Seattle has ever had.
Yeah, I sort of knew that would illicit this response. My inner troll wanting to surface, I guess. Lol

Yeah, I read the knocks on him, too. "Short Arms", etc. (He must have used "The Force" to snap the ball for Missouri year after year. ;) ... which has got to be why the SEC Missouri Tigers knew they could count on him there.) Boehm is credited to some degree for the player McGovern has become. He's a football player. And, apparently one that makes the players around him better. :Dunno:

But, again... I threw out Boehm because I knew someone would say, "No way... short arms." So, I'm not clamoring for the guy. At the same time, I'm not really just trying to troll. I'm more like trying to think about what players that might not seem Seahawky that the team might actually have interest in... even to our surprise. None of us know EVERYTHING that goes into building the Seahawks board. I think the thing that sticks with me about what PC always says is that they look for players that may be able to help them in some way... even if they don't seem to have an exact fit.

No matter your opinions, I just have to laugh when others say, "Never." I've had draft day conversations when others will adamantly disagree with me and then, "Bam" the Hawks draft someone or a position I've said. One conversation was like, "No way the Seahawks draft a Fullback." Seahawks select: Kiero Small, FB.... Lol

I'm well aware of the types of players the Seahawks have tended to target. I'm thinking outside that box just a bit with the possible changes to the offense (even though PC is saying it wont change), how RW got killed this last season, etc. I'm not saying they absolutely will or won't draft any player. It's funny how this board gets so attached to certain players and then when the selections are made, the scoffing erupts. smh

You can have your opinions, but to say Never is borderline presumptuous to me. Never say never, man.

From your list, Cody WhiteHAIR would be outstanding. I think only the first round pick #26 is in the range the Seahawks could draft Whitehair. Jake BrendEL. Yeah, I read the SPARQ scores, too. But, otherwise... he's like an UDFA prospect, right?
[youtube]5oWVF51WbWk[/youtube]

McGruff

Reaction score
One boards UDFA prospect is Seattle's 4th round draft pick . . .

I think Brendel is terrifically underrated.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ymyluad said:
I'm on board with this prediction. The question then becomes if they do draft him, is JS able to trade down some spots and still nab him? If so, how many spots and what does it garner him in return?

I think this year they take him (or whoever they want) at 26 to get that additional 5th year on the contract.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":wvr34728 said:
I think this year they take him (or whoever they want) at 26 to get that additional 5th year on the contract.

The 5th year option is pretty expensive. It originates with the 2011 CBA, since then Seattle has only had two qualifying players, Irvin and Carp. Seattle declined the options on both.

If anything I think the 5th year option helps Seattle trade out of the 1st because other teams will value it more than Seattle apparently does.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'd love Ryan Kelly in the first. He looks like the clear cut best center and to be honest one of the three offensive linemen (alongside Tunsil and Conklin) without any question marks. Only difference is that C is a bigger need for us than OT right now in my eyes and we can get Kelly with our first rounder, while we have to trade up a lot to get Tunsil or even Conklin.

Point is, Kelly is a slam dunk pick and I'd like to have someone like that on the line for once.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":f3rqpwjo said:
One boards UDFA prospect is Seattle's 4th round draft pick . . .

I think Brendel is terrifically underrated.
Yeah, I love when JS says "We don't care how others have rated our draft picks". cbssports has him rated 7-Udfa, but Rang seems to like him.

Do you find any boards that have him rated higher than a 7th? I know he's SPARQy, so that probably helps his projections with some teams. Yet, he's said not to be athletic? http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555184

He only weighs 286 lbs.?

"...his lack of athleticism and consistency in space will be challenges for him when NFL teams pound the tape. Brendel doesn’t have the length or body type to play any position other than center so his journey to the NFL might be a challenge."

"...lack of core strength. Overall athleticism is an issue. Doesn’t have the bend or feet to stop suddenly and change directions to catch up to a counter move. Reactive movement and body control are below average. Inconsistent at sustaining blocks due to marginal contact balance. Lack of arm length allows defenders to intrude on his frame and control the rep at times. Doesn’t appear to have the necessary athletic tools to be able to recover when beaten early on in the snap."

McGruff

Reaction score
He was 303 at the combine. But his arm length limits him to center, and even then I'm not certain Seattle will go there. On tape he looks athe tic in terms of mobility, quickness, recovery. He's really good at getting to and blocking the second level. But he can be bullied head up against a bigger nose, no question. He needs to gain some mass and strength.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":uq7dydbp said:
He was 303 at the combine. But his arm length limits him to center, and even then I'm not certain Seattle will go there. On tape he looks athe tic in terms of mobility, quickness, recovery. He's really good at getting to and blocking the second level. But he can be bullied head up against a bigger nose, no question. He needs to gain some mass and strength.

Seems like the O-line's biggest challenge has come against the likes of the Rams DL (but, who doesn't struggle against them?) I just want to see overall improvement as a cohesive unit so that they don't get manhandled by any team, even though there's going to be tougher groups to deal with in certain games. So, I can see why athletic guys are the target, but if that's what we've got... that profile of a player isn't exactly dominating. Maybe they need some time. But, these guys also need leadership and smarts - gritty players that get it done no matter their limitations and make other players around them better. I think Glowinski is going to prove to be one of those guys.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":z8glwpyw said:
TeamoftheCentury":z8glwpyw said:
McGruff":z8glwpyw said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/712667581958651905[/tweet]

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seattle-S ... n-44435819

Could just be there for McGovern.
Yeah, during this season of smoke screens, they're there "for McGovern." Gotcha. They probably wont even notice the other guy. ;)

Just reporting the news, my friend. Repeat: "The #Colts & #Seahawks are putting Evan Boehm & Connor McGovern through O-Line drills." You've got to admit this is pretty hilarious that this tweet comes out today. What beautiful timing. LMAO

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hey McGruff, Attyla (or really anyone can chime in, of course)... would be interested in your thoughts on this:

Even though Westerman played exclusively at LG for the Sun Devils, it's mentioned:

"A move to center is not out of the question thanks to his body type and quickness and his draft stock may be helped by a potential ability to offer roster depth at several offensive line positions." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chr ... id=2555131

Impressive Combine Workout. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0 ... -Westerman

I just don't know about the Hawks taking a Center with #26 overall. Whitehair might be worth the pick. Westerman might be a 2nd - 3rd rounder? Both versatile players.

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3fmgoh97 said:
McGruff":3fmgoh97 said:
TeamoftheCentury":3fmgoh97 said:
McGruff":3fmgoh97 said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/712667581958651905[/tweet]

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seattle-S ... n-44435819

Could just be there for McGovern.
Yeah, during this season of smoke screens, they're there "for McGovern." Gotcha. They probably wont even notice the other guy. ;)

Just reporting the news, my friend. Repeat: "The #Colts & #Seahawks are putting Evan Boehm & Connor McGovern through O-Line drills." You've got to admit this is pretty hilarious that this tweet comes out today. What beautiful timing. LMAO

I get the humor, but at the end of the day there will never be any way to prove who is right and who is wrong . . . Unless they draft Boehm in which case I will gladly eat whatever pie you serve.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":27mec9cz said:
Hey McGruff, Attyla (or really anyone can chime in, of course)... would be interested in your thoughts on this:

Even though Westerman played exclusively at LG for the Sun Devils, it's mentioned:

"A move to center is not out of the question thanks to his body type and quickness and his draft stock may be helped by a potential ability to offer roster depth at several offensive line positions." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chr ... id=2555131

Impressive Combine Workout. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0 ... -Westerman

I just don't know about the Hawks taking a Center with #26 overall. Whitehair might be worth the pick. Westerman might be a 2nd - 3rd rounder? Both versatile players.

Westerman looks like a 50-90 overall kind of guy. If we're going to take him, I'd see us either having to take him at #56 or trading down to a lesser pocket of talent in the 65-75 range.

Westerman looks plenty athletic and smart. He shows excellent ability to combo block and get to the 2nd level. Picks up stunts with relative ease. Seems to always be prepared for DL tricks. Rarely fooled.

If we're considering him, I'd think it's exclusively for the OC position. Because he's not really our LG prototype and we have Glowinski entrenched at RG this year. I think Westerman would transition well to the OC position.

I think it's unlikely we add him. There are really two scenarios I see that are likely for us. Either we shoot for the moon and take Ryan Kelly (which means we're not taking Westerman). Or we miss out on Kelly, and are looking to plan B which is most likely to be to take the best available at #90 (Allen, Glasgow, McGovern and maybe Martin). OC isn't a position highly valued and if Kelly, Westerman and Martin are gone then there won't be competitors for the remaining OC talent.

I love Westerman. Have since before the combine. But I think his fit for us is limited due to Glowinski. About the only way I see us going Westerman is if we go Non OL with our first pick, then are looking at OC/LG with R2/3. Hard to tell if we'd go Westerman over Martin. We've gone the athletic conversion project at OC before (Nowak and Sokoli). And quite honestly Westerman isn't in Sokoli's class as an athlete. It's hard to see us doubling down on athletic OC newbies. That would mean we'd need to carry three centers (Lewis as hedge, Sokoli because duh, and Westerman). With the hope that Westerman learns fast enough in 3 months to make Lewis expendable.

Ultimately, I see Westerman as ill fitting for need. As much as I covet him I find it hard to fit him with the current players and projects we have in the 9 man OL field.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":3rwn0iqm said:
TeamoftheCentury":3rwn0iqm said:

I get the humor, but at the end of the day there will never be any way to prove who is right and who is wrong . . . Unless they draft Boehm in which case I will gladly eat whatever pie you serve.
Man, I'm not really the type to want to rub it in someones face. If I offended you with my recent post, I was in defense mode a bit and I sincerely apologize. I don't wish to roll that way. I just take issue with your "never" comment. Seems like you just did a passive take back. "Unless" they draft Boehm. That sort of softens "never" just a bit, right? See my point?

I get the points that you guys are making. I really do understand what you and Attyla are saying regarding the athletes the Hawks tend to target. But, then you list a couple of prospects that have similar knocks on them. SPARQ is a tool, not an end-all. They gotta play FOOTBALL, not win the underwear Olympics. That's what I'm getting at (or was going to get at before the prospect was shot down.) The guy is a known leader. That was something the Hawks had in Unger (and not comparing the two otherwise.)

Really what you're saying is "less likely" or while Possible, not Probable. But, you came out of the gates with "Not Possible." (literally: Never) Lol That's the deal, man. Not exactly conducive to further discussion, right? :lol: There was no "Why do you think the Hawks might be interested in this guy?" Doesn't encourage one to even say any more if others come across like they have it all figured out... until they don't.

I'm not trying to be "right". Boehm is a mid-round prospect with some positives along with the negatives. They all have that. (Even when the "experts" think they have the draft figured out by numbers, they miss a lot of "Football Players" that end up having successful careers even though their numbers didn't add up. I think heart/drive/passion trumps ALL those numbers. Leadership, team captain, makes other players better, etc. are what get my attention first and foremost.)

I enjoy the lead up to the draft. I'm not too bad at projecting draft picks. Check my record. I really try and do see the points and I'm really impressed with the insights by many posters here on .net It's very helpful to get an idea of the direction the Hawks might go.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2lwtptcl said:
TeamoftheCentury":2lwtptcl said:

Westerman looks like a 50-90 overall kind of guy. If we're going to take him, I'd see us either having to take him at #56 or trading down to a lesser pocket of talent in the 65-75 range.

Westerman looks plenty athletic and smart. He shows excellent ability to combo block and get to the 2nd level. Picks up stunts with relative ease. Seems to always be prepared for DL tricks. Rarely fooled.

If we're considering him, I'd think it's exclusively for the OC position. Because he's not really our LG prototype and we have Glowinski entrenched at RG this year. I think Westerman would transition well to the OC position.

I think it's unlikely we add him. There are really two scenarios I see that are likely for us. Either we shoot for the moon and take Ryan Kelly (which means we're not taking Westerman). Or we miss out on Kelly, and are looking to plan B which is most likely to be to take the best available at #90 (Allen, Glasgow, McGovern and maybe Martin). OC isn't a position highly valued and if Kelly, Westerman and Martin are gone then there won't be competitors for the remaining OC talent.

I love Westerman. Have since before the combine. But I think his fit for us is limited due to Glowinski. About the only way I see us going Westerman is if we go Non OL with our first pick, then are looking at OC/LG with R2/3. Hard to tell if we'd go Westerman over Martin. We've gone the athletic conversion project at OC before (Nowak and Sokoli). And quite honestly Westerman isn't in Sokoli's class as an athlete. It's hard to see us doubling down on athletic OC newbies. That would mean we'd need to carry three centers (Lewis as hedge, Sokoli because duh, and Westerman). With the hope that Westerman learns fast enough in 3 months to make Lewis expendable.

Ultimately, I see Westerman as ill fitting for need. As much as I covet him I find it hard to fit him with the current players and projects we have in the 9 man OL field.
Thanks. Good stuff, man. I understand what you're saying. Brock Huard was touting Jake Allen. Wonder if he still is? Perhaps Westerman is more polished at this point than Sokoli and the coaches would have more confidence in him.

Hey, did you guys see this? http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Justin-Br ... --44437882