Ryan Kelly will be the first Seahawk draft pick this year...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2jvvw4ur said:
Thanks. Good stuff, man. I understand what you're saying. Brock Huard was touting Jake Allen. Wonder if he still is? Perhaps Westerman is more polished at this point than Sokoli and the coaches would have more confidence in him.

Hey, did you guys see this? http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Justin-Br ... --44437882

Allen seems to have dropped off the map. Not surprised since he was expected to test very average. March buzz revolves around combine gods and UFA signings. Allen just strikes me as a Bodine/Stork/Mason kind of player who someone takes in day three and 4 years later he's getting a decent second deal as a four year starter.

I'd say he's our plan D. Maybe. But a plan D I'd be pleased with. My fall backs for interior are Allen and Thuney in day three. Seem to be the kinds of late round picks that have that understated quality and modest athleticism. Just good productive players with a lot of fight in them.

The kinds of players you could abandon the pricier picks early in the draft and still adequately improve your team late. The kinds of players Seattle seems to never actually pick.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":113zvwvw said:
One boards UDFA prospect is Seattle's 4th round draft pick . . .

I think Brendel is terrifically underrated.

I'm not his biggest fan. He's listed at 284 pounds but I'd believe it if he played at 275. Great combine, but after he bulks up to 310 he probably won't be the same athlete.

His tape is UDFA caliber, IMO.

Now lets watch Tom Cable draft him in round 4.

Anyway, I have your back on Boehm at least. His SPARQ rating would be 8th percentile in the NFL. As in, 92% of NFL OL would be more athletic than him. If Seattle were actually interested in him it would be pretty shocking.

The least athletic OL that Seattle has drafted in the last few years was Terry Poole, who's SPARQ rating was 63rd percentile, which is still pretty good.

xgeoff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":7qg1j8kb said:
xgeoff":7qg1j8kb said:
TeamoftheCentury":7qg1j8kb said:
McGruff":7qg1j8kb said:
Ask Matt Hasselbeck.

Back in 2005 Matt was asked who he thought they would draft, he said "probably a center."

It was thought to be a good natured shot to the ribs of Robbie Tobeck. But a few weeks later they drafter Chris Spencer.

I've got some work to do on centers, and Kelly will be the first stop.
Evan Boehm in the mid rounds

Please no. This kid got his ass kicked on almost every play in the Senior Bowl...
Hmmm. Strange. McGovern's success at Missouri is credited to playing with the likes of Boehm. I'll have to go back and take a look. Besides Boehms being the problem in those instances, is there any other possible reason for what you observed of his play? Scheme, etc.?

Here's one source I remember reading about Boehm and McGovern.
Edit: I love that he's played on a line with (Mitch) Morse and (Evan) Boehm. Those are two great leaders." -- Southwest area scout http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555133

Note that I'm not clamoring for the Seahawks to draft Boehm. I was sort of thinking beyond the first few rounds about potential "best of the rest" types. That a prospect like McGovern did well due to the leadership of a Boehm might say something. Maybe the Hawks have drafted enough McGoverns that need some leadership. The Center position is one that needs a leader type.
All I know is that I was interested in him before watching the senior bowl. I thought he looked terrible in the game but was really impressed with Martin and Glasgow.

And I know it's only one game, but I place more stock on gameplay than anything else. Don't know what the tape from Missouri would show for this year...

Willyeye

Reaction score
Davidess":1igadn0v said:
The one thing I hope the hawks don't do is get "cute" this draft. Don't trade back thinking you can get your guy and than find out the team you traded behind ends up picking "your guy" happened last year with what was believed to be Mitch Morse. JS said they got 2/3 guys they wanted. 3rd was presumed to be Mitch Morse who was picked just ahead of Seattle by KC. Which kind of explains the cluster F*** at the beginning of the season at C haha.

Just hope they don't get cute. If they like a guy keep the pick and select him. Don't do the trading back and have it bite your ass again.

Anyways. hope you all had a good weekend..haha

I've heard this before, but it's not true.

KC picked Mitch Morse with their Pick # 49.

We traded our 1st round Pick #31 for Jimmy Graham (and basically traded Max Unger for the Saints' 4th round pick). So even prior to the start of the draft, our first pick was Pick #63 in the 2nd round, and we picked Frank Clark...but Morse was gone 14 picks earlier. The Hawks then traded our picks #95 (3rd), #112 (4th), #167 (5th), and #181 (6th), in exchange for the Redskins' Pick #69, which we used to pick Tyler Lockett. Lockett was my favorite college player last year, so I was really excited when they picked him. I knew he would be a star.

Anyway, Morse had nothing to do with trading up or down in the 2015 draft...picking Morse was lost because of the Jimmy Graham trade.

And to be fair, Morse was only the #16 ranked Center last year according to PFF. It's not like ke was one of the best Centers last year, but of course he could potentially be even better this year.

I'm hoping the Seahawks take Center Ryan Kelly with their 1st or 2nd pick this year. I think at Center, they need a REAL Center...a player that has 3 or 4 years college experience at the position.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":2tgih2dn said:
McGruff":2tgih2dn said:
One boards UDFA prospect is Seattle's 4th round draft pick . . .

I think Brendel is terrifically underrated.

I'm not his biggest fan. He's listed at 284 pounds but I'd believe it if he played at 275. Great combine, but after he bulks up to 310 he probably won't be the same athlete.

His tape is UDFA caliber, IMO.

Now lets watch Tom Cable draft him in round 4.

Anyway, I have your back on Boehm at least. His SPARQ rating would be 8th percentile in the NFL. As in, 92% of NFL OL would be more athletic than him. If Seattle were actually interested in him it would be pretty shocking.

The least athletic OL that Seattle has drafted in the last few years was Terry Poole, who's SPARQ rating was 63rd percentile, which is still pretty good.
Lol. No need to "have anyone's back" Kearly. Would be against a straw man. Not to worry, I'm not trying to bully poor McGruff. :lol: I knew from the start what kind of response there would be from members of this board because of the over-fascination with SPARQ ratings. The mention of his name was more said tongue-in-cheek from the start.

I just got a laugh out of it when this appeared right after I was read the riot act. I'm in no way clamoring for Boehm. smh But, I wouldn't be as pessimistic as some of you guys if he becomes a Hawks selection. SPARQ is a tool, not an end-all assessment. I just found the tweet timely and hilarious considering it was just said that the Seahawks would "never" draft him.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/712667581958651905[/tweet]

I agree they're probably looking at McGovern. But, it's not like their eyes were closed to the other player. Constant evaluation and wouldn't it be funny if this turns out that Boehm caught their eye... Then, what will you guys say? I certainly don't mind anyone making their case. But, we're always right... until we're not. So, seems like there's room in Pre-Draft discussion to tone down absolutely shooting down prospects. We've all been wrong before and scratched our heads on draft day. That's all fellas. :Dunno:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
"He's tough as nails. He'll play with pain and he's the kind of guy who can command a locker room. I always look for talent first, but leadership might be just as important from your center and he has that." ­ -- NFC West executive

"...has a strong anchor and can move his feet well for the position, portending a long NFL career."

"Iron man. Holds school record for consecutive starts. Suffered high­-ankle sprain in the first game of the year, but was right back on the field the next game. Rare power from a center. Phone booth champ. Able to consistently generate push at initial point of attack and take control of the neutral zone. Runs his feet under him at contact and drives the sled while staying glued to his man. Tough and smart. Quickly processes double A-­gap looks and responds successfully. Has power to redirect when beaten on the edge. Owns the A-­gap versus blitzes and stunts. Keeps head from ducking in on pass sets and will punch and re­set hands, when needed, to maintain positioning. Comes from a football family and father was a highly successful high school coach. Rarely bull­-rushed. Looks for work when he’s uncovered against pass rush."

"Four­-year starter with outstanding power at the point of attack with an ability to create running lanes through sheer brute force. Boehm’s squatty frame may cause some evaluators to hesitate, but offensive line coaches will fall in love with his instincts, power, leadership and durability. Boehm has a chance to be an early starter for a team looking for power and leadership in the middle of their line."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555181

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... Yardbarker

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I have read that not only does kelly have the ability to slide to guard, but some "experts" have him as the best interior linemen in the draft. If we take him, then we can slide lewis and allow him, glow, Sokoli and poole to compete against brit and maybe upgrade that way. Joe dahl was nations leading pass blocker last two seasons. They are scared of the air raid offense, but I'm sure he could learn to zone block. We could bring a guy like him in to compete for both tackle spots. Maybe have Gilliam lt, lewis lg, kelly c, glow rg and dahl rt. That could be an above average group, especially if the communication is good. They would all be young guys too, so maybe we could get some continuity. That is assuming dahl and Gilliam both can make the transition.

randomation

Reaction score
I would love ti to be Kelly but I fully expect it to either be Ifedi or a Defensive player :(

two dog

Reaction score
I just want Seattle to come away with a competent center in this draft.
Kelly in the first would please me just fine. I would also be well pleased
with Nick Martin in the second.

Some of the other guys I find interesting are Spencer Pulley, Max
Tuerk, and Graham Glasgow.
Pulley is pretty SPARQ'y (much more so than Kelly or Martin) but
that, obviously, doesn't necessarily translate to better play.

I mainly just want a guy who has actually played center in college,
preferably a smart one who can lead and make line calls.
For those requirements, Kelly certainly fills the bill.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
two dog":2ysd7alw said:

You can get that with a journeyman UFA. I don't see that being a realistic consideration for an R1 pick.

If you want that, then pick up Jack Allen in R5.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
two dog":xt8apoor said:

Lewis was more than competent last year why make a lateral move in the first round for Kelly it doesn't make sense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3u8t2281 said:
two dog":3u8t2281 said:

Lewis was more than competent last year why make a lateral move in the first round for Kelly it doesn't make sense.

Lewis is a nice backup, but he got flat dominated in games against talented DT's. His performance against St. Louis and Carolina was ugly. We need a guy like Kelly who can be the center of this team for the next 10 years.

I think what we missed the most with Unger's departure was his leadership and intelligence on the field. He knew when a defense was blitzing, when to check to run or pass, etc. He was an extra coach on the field and that sort of thing is really hard to replace.

I think Kelly can be a more durable Max Unger, or a Jeff Saturday type player for us. I would love love love drafting him. Just get the feeling Cable is going to go away from that for some athletic freak and the process remains the same.

McGruff

Reaction score
I don't think a mediocre athlete like Kelly improves us at all over Lewis. If we want to beat Donald and Short and Rankins, etc., we are going to need interior linemen who can out quick them.

two dog

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2uv41rsi said:
two dog":2uv41rsi said:

You can get that with a journeyman UFA. I don't see that being a realistic consideration for an R1 pick.

If you want that, then pick up Jack Allen in R5.

I seem to want to ask: If smart centers who are also leaders and can
make line calls are so easy to find, Why don't we have one?

Why have only one guy on your roster that actually played center in college?
A guy that last year somewhat solidified the position halfway through the season
but does not seem to me to be the answer to a still lingering problem.

Jack Allen would be fine with me. At least he's played the position.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
McGruff":1b4z76bm said:
I don't think a mediocre athlete like Kelly improves us at all over Lewis. If we want to beat Donald and Short and Rankins, etc., we are going to need interior linemen who can out quick them.
Seahawks have focused too much on athletic linemen and year after year we have a mediocre OL.

Out of ALL the positions in football, offensive line requires the least athleticism (well, except maybe P or K)

Also, being able to block at the 2nd level doesn't mean anything if you can't block at the LOS.

When it comes to OL, the most important question is "can they block?" That seems to be the only question the FO doesn't ask about potential OL.

The teams that draft OL who can block have consistently had better OL than us.

Can Kelly block? Yes.
Can he make good line calls? (Supposedly yes)
Can he slide to either G spot? (Supposedly best interior lineman in the draft)

It's not a sexy pick, but he becomes a day 1 upgrade at LG, C, or RG depending on how they shuffle players around on the line.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":nlgvehx4 said:
McGruff":nlgvehx4 said:
Seahawks have focused too much on athletic linemen and year after year we have a mediocre OL.

Out of ALL the positions in football, offensive line requires the least athleticism (well, except maybe P or K)

Also, being able to block at the 2nd level doesn't mean anything if you can't block at the LOS.

When it comes to OL, the most important question is "can they block?" That seems to be the only question the FO doesn't ask about potential OL.

The teams that draft OL who can block have consistently had better OL than us.

Can Kelly block? Yes.
Can he make good line calls? (Supposedly yes)
Can he slide to either G spot? (Supposedly best interior lineman in the draft)

It's not a sexy pick, but he becomes a day 1 upgrade at LG, C, or RG depending on how they shuffle players around on the line.
Agree whole-heartedly. The philosophy of matching the athleticism of opposing DLs at every position hasn't really produced very good results. At C, you need just enough athleticism to execute a sound technique, and stoutness doesn't hurt. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if PC stays doggedly with bargain-basement raw athleticism, because it allows him to concentrate on defense.

Oh, and while it would be great to get Kelly, he won't be on the board at 26, so the point is moot.

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

Latest posts