Safeco Field and Mariner Fans

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2y0sqs7c said:
My big gripe with M's fans and the atmosphere at Safeco is that it just seems like they don't care. You rarely ever here players get boo'ed with they deserve to. Fans look like they could care less that the team is losing. At least when the Seahawks and Sonics were bad the fans let them know.

I've been to a ton of M's, Hawks, Sonics and Sounders games..........and can count on one hand how many times I've been at a non Mariner game and heard the crowd booing our own players.

In fact, if I was to pick WHICH of our own team's players has gotten boo'd the most, I'd pick the M's because they have the longest list of overpaid stiffs playing for them over the year. Bobby Ayala, Ken Phelps, Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexton, Russ Davis, Jose Cruz Jr, Brett Boone, Justin Smoak.....................all players I've seen in person get boo'd. These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could list 10 more players I've seen boo'd.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I love Safeco, it is an absolutely FANTASTIC park to watch a game, but I do agree this team is not really built for this park offensively.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":331szwhv said:
Seahawks1983":331szwhv said:
The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants. Anyone who does that deserves to get kicked square in the nuts.

Shouldn't that tell the M's front office on what matters in this town if you want rabid fans? Win, it's that simple.

Most of us are old enough to remember the 95' and 01' M's, where the Kingdome and Safeco was packed full of crazy fans. It's not like the city of Seattle all of a sudden forgot how to appreciate baseball.

It's a chicken or the egg discussion. Some of you guys want the fans to inspire the team, and I'm saying you have it backwards. Win, and the fans will be inspired to do more than just take selfies and hang out in the beer garden the entire game because we're losing 4-0 again.

I am with you, the wins have to come first.

But, that doesn't excuse mouthbreathers for douching up the place.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Crizilla":sh2l8ahe said:
I actually have looked into this. I think the stadium construction plays a role in the lack of home field advantage for the M's. It's the exact opposite of the CLINK.

Safeco isn't connected to the field at all. It's too big of a stadium. Fan seats aren't close enough to the field. There's no connection. It's too big and spacey. Look at the cardinals new stadium or any other MLB baseball park that opened recently. They are built very tightly and consolidated. That's why I love the CLiNk so much, yeah it's for football and soccer but the same stuff still applies.

facepalm

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Kind of a silly topic. Baseball is a lot like golf in terms of what cheering can do for your performance. It's all about focus and getting into a groove, and fans can do little to help home batters get more of either. In golf would you expect a golfer to hit a better shot if you were there cheering them on? Probably not, and it might have the opposite effect actually. Baseball is the same way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1vvupk3j said:
Kind of a silly topic. Baseball is a lot like golf in terms of what cheering can do for your performance. It's all about focus and getting into a groove, and fans can do little to help home batters get more of either. In golf would you expect a golfer to hit a better shot if you were there cheering them on? Probably not, and it might have the opposite effect actually. Baseball is the same way.

Logic and reason have no place in this thread. Take your common sense elsewhere mister.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":13k0fz4b said:

Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.

I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?

m0ng0

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3ltgy9to said:
Hawk-Lock":3ltgy9to said:

I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?

Have you not been paying attention? :D

1/2 of the fans are staring at their cell phones, disco parties in center field every night, the park is not intimate enough so even when fans do cheer they cannot be heard, the mariner moose is just stupid, the only chants are for the seahawks, the only jerseys are seahawks, the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke, and the front office is trying to lose every game. All of these factors make the players sad and want to cry......

Largent80

Reaction score
LOL....Ive only attended a few Safeco games. Great park. They won all 3 games I went to before I moved. People need to quit bitchin' IMO.

I saw a LOT of real bad M's teams at the Dome for MANY years. But $1.75 to get in. $2.75 for a King Beer and another $1.00 for a King Dog, and not a big deal of the play. We drove all the way from Lake Stevens too.

Shut up and get your ass to the ballpark. (If you can afford it..hahaha)

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2lnvo7d9 said:
Hawk-Lock":2lnvo7d9 said:

I didn't mention fans in that last post. I'm just talking about home-field advantage in general. Whether it means fans, or simply sleeping in your own bed and coming to the ballpark the next day. Either way, you should play better at home.

Look at MLB standings from the past few years, most teams have better records at home than on the road. And typically the good teams play much better at home than on the road.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3w2hss3r said:
therealjohncarlson":3w2hss3r said:
Hawk-Lock":3w2hss3r said:

I didn't mention fans in that last post. I'm just talking about home-field advantage in general. Whether it means fans, or simply sleeping in your own bed and coming to the ballpark the next day. Either way, you should play better at home.

Look at MLB standings from the past few years, most teams have better records at home than on the road. And typically the good teams play much better at home than on the road.

Yes most teams do, but I only count 8 teams last year that had a significant HFA, meaning +10 games or more over .500 at home. Most teams had mediocre records, and therefore mediocre records at home.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/season/2014

If you look at the standings it's not a coincidence that the teams with the best win percentages at home are also good teams.

Btw, the M's at home over the past 5 years?

2014 = +1
2013 = -9
2012 = -1
2011 = -6
2010 = -10

The M's were also dead last or 2nd to last in the West over the past 5 years, a far more important stat than some sort of perceived lack of HFA due to Safeco.

Conclusion, bad teams are bad no matter where they play.

Tical21

Reaction score
I will add that it is hard to play for a fan base that doesn't believe in you. The crowd has long grown restless. We cheer the good stuff on a hopelessly optimistic sort of way, and grow more and more frustrated with every loss and every season. There is a cumulative weight building in that building, and that culture can absolutely suffocate weak minded players, of which we have many. I would bet Seager does well at home. He's a mentally tough dude, immune to the bs. The rest get too easily sucked into the culture of not hitting or winning.

Chapow

Reaction score
m0ng0":v62yb5ef said:
therealjohncarlson":v62yb5ef said:
Hawk-Lock":v62yb5ef said:

Have you not been paying attention? :D

1/2 of the fans are staring at their cell phones, disco parties in center field every night, the park is not intimate enough so even when fans do cheer they cannot be heard, the mariner moose is just stupid, the only chants are for the seahawks, the only jerseys are seahawks, the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke, and the front office is trying to lose every game. All of these factors make the players sad and want to cry......

Have you not been paying attention to society now a days? 1/2 of the people anywhere doing anything are staring at their cell phones. Sadly, it's just how people are in this day and age and it's not even remotely exclusive to Mariners fans at Mariners games. I guarantee you'll see the same thing at any baseball game anywhere.

I'm not sure how Safeco becoming a desirable place for 20 somethings to hang out is a bad thing or somehow makes Safeco suck or whatever your point is, care to explain?

Your next point is complete BS, cheers can and are heard just fine. Especially when Felix is pitching or the M's are hitting and scoring runs. Either you don't know what you're talking about or are just making up BS. Safeco gets plenty loud when there's actually something to cheer about.

The Mariner Moose is stupid? Now your just being petty as well as making shit up. Guess what? A lot of kids go to games too and kids are generally pretty damn stoked about the moose. But hey, F them right? I mean kids probably aren't totally focused on the game 100% of the time so they suck as fans anyway right?

Seahawks chants and Seahawks jerseys? WTF are you even talking about? I go to probably some where in the neighborhood of a dozen or so games a year and I watch most of the games I don't go to. I can't remember ever hearing a Seahawks chant at a Mariners game. And while I have seen people wearing Seahawks jerseys at Safeco, it's pretty few and far between. I do however see Mariners jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. ALL OVER Safeco field. Again, you're just making up complete and utter BS and anyone can see that fact for themselves by simply flipping on a M's game.

And then there's this little gem, "the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke". Congratulations, that some pretty high level absurdity there. There's about a million things children can eat small pieces of and choke. Puzzle pieces, legos, rocks, the list is endless. I have 6 Mariners bobble heads, none of them are faulty. If you've ever held one it's pretty obvious, to me at least, that they aren't meant to be children's toys. They are like little statues that are surprisingly heavy for their size. If you drop one or put pressure on, say, a leg, extended arm, or neck, they will break. That doesn't make them faulty, it makes them somewhat fragile. They are meant to be displayed, not played with, which again, is pretty obvious the second you pick one up.

Tomorrow is Robinson Cano poster day. But those posters are faulty because children could tear pieces off, ball them up, eat them, and choke. Do you see how ridiculous a statement like that is?

"the front office is trying to lose every game", I mean, I don't really know what else to say other than that statement is dumb as hell and no one could possibly believe that unless they are too. What would the front office possibly have to gain by losing every game?

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you have to gain by posting absurdities and straight up lies about Safeco field and Mariners fans to make them look bad?

BTW, I do realize (now) that you were being sarcastic and poking fun at the people that actually said those things, but I wrote most of this post before that dawned on me. Oh well, posting anyway because that was too much to write to just delete.

Chapow

Reaction score
Huh, weird. I'm watching the Mariners right now and all the sucky fans at sucky Safeco field are chanting for each batter by name and cheering loudly for hits and runs and strikeouts and stuff. When they showed the crowd, many of those chanting fans were wearing Mariners jerseys, hats, and shirts. Many of the chanting, cheering, M's gear wearing, fans are the 20 somethings "partying" in center field that some of you guys are complaining about somehow making Safeco suckier or whatever. I haven't heard a single Seahawks chant or seen a single Seahawks jersey. All this while the Mariners are in the midst of a pretty horrible slump offensively.

It's almost like a bunch of the posts of this thread are complete bullshit or something.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
2-9 on the 11 game home-stand.....nice.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
How many other teams would have Willie Bloomquist for a total of 7 years?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":5790u8bm said:

True, but when you need a bench player with a below average OBP and Slugging percentage that's sorta fast but not really anymore, and can play multiple positions unexceptionally? ...........................Willie Bloomquist is your man.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
I'd love to see O'Malley get his chance. Of course I'm biased but I don't think he could do any worse than some of the guys we have now. He can play many different positions and has pretty good speed. And yes, I realize he isn't on the 40 man roster.

Tical21

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1y3faomu said:
Willie is a career .270 hitter that can play 6 positions decently well, and has always been a good/great locker room guy. I can think of about 29 other teams that would love to have a guy like that for half of his career.