Schotty and Solari are going to have a tough year

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm actually not sure I ever called out Russell Wilson. Maybe a game or two where I said Russell had a rough game. I'm not really an anti-Russell guy, nearly as much as I am an anti-QB economics guy. The shortcomings Russell does have make the game in some ways way more difficult than it has to be, but I've never said he isn't an effective player, or that his way doesn't work. I just stated that I don't think you can win huge while paying a QB the kind of money we're paying him.

I agree that 3rd and long is not Schottenheimer's forte, but avoiding 3rd and long kind of is.

One thing I can say for certain is that Schottenheimer puts a lot more emphasis on Russ making reads against zone and putting the ball where it has to be than Bevell did. Bevell usually tried to scheme around Russ' shortcomings, where Schottenheimer is actually requiring that he improves in those areas. I saw more real growth from the pocket, as far as reading defenses and working within the scheme of a play in Russell than I had seen in probably the previous 5 years, and I find that very exciting. On 3rd and mid, we're actually calling routes to the sticks, trying to hit dig routes and flood concepts, where with Bevell you could look at a play and wonder why he called verticals on 3rd and 5. Russ often made it work, but I was never able to make real sense of what Bevell was trying to do situationally. Maybe the fact that I can see our objectives now is kind of bad sign since I'm not an X's and 0's savant by any stretch. I dunno. We may not grow in those areas a ton this year due to the lack of experience at the WR position, but I love that we now have some kind of floor of basic concepts to build from. Russ was asked to go 150 mph before he ever learned to properly crawl, and he performed amazingly, but largely flying by the seat of his pants. Last season he learned to crawl. Hopefully Schotty can now guide him to walk, and then soon we'll be running with good mechanics.

OP
OP
Q

quadsas

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3i0dtt1u said:
Quadsas with a textbook hit and run post...

Clearly not worth discussing this when people have no football or Seahawks knowledge lmao

Uncle Si

Reaction score
quadsas":2lzzao1o said:
Uncle Si":2lzzao1o said:
Quadsas with a textbook hit and run post...

Clearly not worth discussing this when people have no football or Seahawks knowledge lmao

Makes outrageous, hyperbolic claim.

Gets refuted by over a dozen posts.

Claims lack of football and Seahawks knowledge.

I think you nailed it...

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but if you were playing against Metcalf, who probably does well against single coverage but not zone, and Russ does better against simpler coverages....

You gotta give a little more substance if you want your point to be discussed with any degree of nuance.

OP
OP
Q

quadsas

Reaction score
Tical21":1jhjqpax said:
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but if you were playing against Metcalf, who probably does well against single coverage but not zone, and Russ does better against simpler coverages....

You gotta give a little more substance if you want your point to be discussed with any degree of nuance.

Metcalf is never gonna run hots possibly ever, Lockett will have to learn a lot about being hot runner with Baldwin gone, and Lockett's routes are mainly improvisational, which does not work when your QB is being blitzed. My point was that there will have to be a lot of work done with this new receiving core because they're all limited in their own way, and Metcalf being especially one dimensional is an invitation to blitz. Oh, and of course, Wilson is pretty bad throwing slants

LTH

Reaction score
quadsas":2qiooehr said:
Imagine being a DC and seeing Lockett and Metcalf on opposite sides. You're blitzing the shit outta Wilson. And with Doug likely gone, it's gonna be challenging.

Its always challenging in the NFL... but i personally think its way to early to make that call we dont even know who on or off the team.. lets see how the drafted WR shake out ya might be surprised...

LTH

Tical21

Reaction score
quadsas":8niifnkc said:
Tical21":8niifnkc said:

Metcalf is never gonna run hots possibly ever, Lockett will have to learn a lot about being hot runner with Baldwin gone, and Lockett's routes are mainly improvisational, which does not work when your QB is being blitzed. My point was that there will have to be a lot of work done with this new receiving core because they're all limited in their own way, and Metcalf being especially one dimensional is an invitation to blitz. Oh, and of course, Wilson is pretty bad throwing slants
They brought in Metcalf to win the 50/50 ball. Russ often uses the fade as a hot route to guys that are under 6'. Now he has a guy who supposedly has that trait as his forte.

Jville

Reaction score
Schotty and Solari are going to have a fun year!

Building on last year's success with some new additions and multiple returning players taking the next step. It's going to be great watching the two of them work together in their second consecutive year as Seahawks.

Exciting times!

hawk45

Reaction score
To me, a creative and dominant run game paired with a PA threat may indeed not be as symphonic as things we've seen in KC, Philadelphia, LA, etc but but it is all that Pete's personal preference will allow.

Last year I feel like I saw the best version of that sort of scheme and it was wildly successful and the most fun I've had in ages watching actual blocking and is running it down throats.

Lots of teams fail to make that final adjustment soon enough in a playoff game and their season ends. IMO we are talking about going away from the run maybe one or two series earlier than we did and we win. That seems like something we can learn from, and going into the game rushing was the right move due to injuries where we'd frequently have WTF early bevell game plans. I mean are we already taking for granted how easily and often we *gasp* scored in the first half last year?

For that gift alone schotty has more rope from me.

If defenses figure it out this year I'll revise my opinion but running games are not "figured out" the same way passing offenses are. Last year on goal line or third and short the world knew it was coming nd instead of the cable stuffaroo Carson would frequently pop for several yards more than we needed.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
hawk45":2c854ubh said:
To me, a creative and dominant run game paired with a PA threat may indeed not be as symphonic as things we've seen in KC, Philadelphia, LA, etc but but it is all that Pete's personal preference will allow.

Last year I feel like I saw the best version of that sort of scheme and it was wildly successful and the most fun I've had in ages watching actual blocking and is running it down throats.

Lots of teams fail to make that final adjustment soon enough in a playoff game and their season ends. IMO we are talking about going away from the run maybe one or two series earlier than we did and we win. That seems like something we can learn from, and going into the game rushing was the right move due to injuries where we'd frequently have WTF early bevell game plans. I mean are we already taking for granted how easily and often we *gasp* scored in the first half last year?

If defenses figure it out this year I'll revise my opinion but running games are not "figured out" the same way passing offenses are. Last year on goal line or third and short the world knew it was coming nd instead of the cable stuffaroo Carson would frequently pop for several yards more than we needed.
How about going away from the run one or two QUARTERS earlier and let Wilson do his thing instead of waiting until the fourth quarter? That would make me happy.

OP
OP
Q

quadsas

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":3nx9l5rg said:
hawk45":3nx9l5rg said:

How about going away from the run one or two QUARTERS earlier and let Wilson do his thing instead of waiting until the fourth quarter? That would make me happy.

They didn't even give Wilson a chance in the 4th to be fair

scutterhawk

Reaction score
quadsas":3lrm4bla said:
A.D.I.D.A.S.":3lrm4bla said:
hawk45":3lrm4bla said:

They didn't even give Wilson a chance in the 4th to be fair

With Baldwin's injuries all Season long, the CowPies KNEW that Wilson had limited Offensive weaponry at Receiver, so, keeping Lockett covered, the Run Game was pretty much all that they had to key on.
The fact that the Seahawks ponied up the $$$ to Wilson +all the Receivers taken in the 2019 Draft is pretty revealing.