Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Again, if there were a lot of teams interested, we'd know about at least one of them. The Hawks are really good about being secretive, but the more teams involved, the harder it is to keep secrets.

It means there aren't a lot of teams trying to get him. Aka the demand for Earl Thomas is not high.

ducks41468

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1ernamb3 said:
Again, if there were a lot of teams interested, we'd know about at least one of them. The Hawks are really good about being secretive, but the more teams involved, the harder it is to keep secrets.

It means there aren't a lot of teams trying to get him. Aka the demand for Earl Thomas is not high.

So you keep him, and if he plays well, then you franchise him. And if he plays well again, then you franchise him again. And at the end you get, I assume, a 3rd round comp? I'd say 1-2 years of stellar safety play and a 3rd round comp is worth far more than a late 2nd rounder and bad safety play from some subpar replacement.

Seriously, if you don't get fair value, just keep him. It's a legitimate option with a positive present value of returns. I'm tired of the mentality coming from the front office that just seems to be "screw it, just take whatever and get it done."

lukerguy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3k84hb4u said:

I'm glad we have our very own Seahawks insider :2thumbs:

Noted: Demand for 28 year pro bowler who allowed 2 deep passes to the middle of the field in his first 6 years with the team-- VERY LOW.

lukerguy

Reaction score
ducks41468":36xyfx7u said:
vin.couve12":36xyfx7u said:

So you keep him, and if he plays well, then you franchise him. And if he plays well again, then you franchise him again. And at the end you get, I assume, a 3rd round comp? I'd say 1-2 years of stellar safety play and a 3rd round comp is worth far more than a late 2nd rounder and bad safety play from some subpar replacement.

Seriously, if you don't get fair value, just keep him. It's a legitimate option with a positive present value of returns. I'm tired of the mentality coming from the front office that just seems to be "screw it, just take whatever and get it done."
100%

Cyrus12

Reaction score
vin.couve12":6sdewp6p said:
BS. A 2nd rounder is decent value for a 29 year old safety (season start) that wants a big contract and has also lessened his own value threatening to hold out (later saved face last week) and then propositioned himself to another team while under contract.

A 2nd rounder is actually the best case. Giving up a 1st for Earl is the equivalent of getting fired on your day off.

This^ not sure why everyone thinks is earl is worth a 1st rd pick

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1963q8d4 said:
BS. A 2nd rounder is decent value for a 29 year old safety (season start) that wants a big contract and has also lessened his own value threatening to hold out (later saved face last week) and then propositioned himself to another team while under contract.

A 2nd rounder is actually the best case. Giving up a 1st for Earl is the equivalent of getting fired on your day off.
Agreed. I would be very happy with an early to mid second for Earl. Earl is simply not as good as most Hawks fans think he is. When you add in the 2018 cap hit and the fact that he is almost certainly gone next year a second seems like great value.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He'll be 29 during the season and wants a big contract and he's a top 5 FS only. Not a top 5 safety. Pro Bowler, sure, but what does any team think they're actually going to get out of Earl beyond two years? Why in the entire F does anyone think a 1st round pick is worth 2 years of quality play? What is your major malfunction? Step away from fanboy and get with reality.

Earl will TANK as a player as soon as he starts to lose the slightest bit of speed. He was a 4.43 guy at the combine that can't jump. He dropped down to 196 pounds to run at the UT pro day to get that 4.37 with the famous UT unofficial clocks. When he doesn't have speed, he won't have much.

Two years.

And some crocks think that's worth a 1st? You're gonna get fired on your day off.

Edit: Somehow lost the quote

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/989748821654552576[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/989754351601135616[/tweet]

lukerguy

Reaction score
Gregg Bell reported Earl Thomas wasn't traded because the Seahawks ask was "too high", reportedly asking "1st, 3rd, and maybe even a player on top".

Which is exactly what I though and hoped they'd do. I'm happy keeping early a lifetime hawk if we can't get a reasonable value..

endzorn

Reaction score
I am hoping beyond hope that he doesn’t get traded. Schneider’s draft track record is absolutely horrific since 2013 and Thomas is one of the few legitimate stars we have left. Our roster is on a talent cliff and continues to get worse.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
With the Jags snagging Bryan, Jullian Taylor has to be the DT we're targeting. Actually has a better 1st step and put up some better test number is a lot of categories. Looooong arms and uses them.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Michael Silver is reporting that two teams have contacted the Seahawks in regards to Earl.

My guess would be Dallas (obviously) and Tampa. They got a haul on picks from their trade down.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
endzorn":1b3tjuaj said:
I am hoping beyond hope that he doesn’t get traded. Schneider’s draft track record is absolutely horrific since 2013 and Thomas is one of the few legitimate stars we have left. Our roster is on a talent cliff and continues to get worse.

Other than Paul Richardson, Justin Britt, Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, Chris Carson, Ethan Pocic and Shaquille Griffin.

As good as the first three drafts? No, not even close. But certainly not "absolutely horrific."

People keep saying they don't want to trade Earl. Which is fine, I love Earl too..............but if you don't want to trade Earl during this re-build (yes it's a rebuild, reload, re-whatever you want to call it), then you're saying you want to give him the Eric Berry monster extension he's asking for.

Which is not only a huge risk with Earl's injury history, AND empties out whatever's left of our cap space.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
endzorn":278eu13w said:

And what happens when Earl walks after this season for no compensation?

We all love Earl. In a perfect world, he would stay a Seahawk for life. But, the lack of an extension to this point is cause for concern. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but he is going to be looking for the kind of $$$ that I don't think they will want to pay. He has earned it.

They are considering moving Earl for one reason, and it isn't his play on the field, obviously. It is because they see the possibility he leaves as a free agent next off-season, and they want to try and get something for him in return.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":jkipwg0k said:
And what happens when Earl walks after this season for no compensation?.

We won't let him walk. At worst we can't trade him this year, franchise him next off season and this trade dance starts over again before next years draft.

But that's risky. He's then a year older and if he gets hurt or shows signs of being on the downhill slide of his effectiveness.........then you're into Kam/Sherman territory where he's not worth much.

Sure he could also play lights out, doesn't miss a game and shows zero signs of diminishing skills. But then I'll ask you which scenario is more likely?

IMO if you can get a team's #1 next year, and a 3rd or 2nd this year? Take it.

lukerguy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/989921723402326017[/tweet]

Remember the LaCanfora tweet saying Seahawks had agreed to the value of Cowboys 2nd, but that the Boys' weren't sure if they wanted to do it with Earl unsigned? Yeah what a bush leaguer LaCanfora is.