Seahawks: Can they handle the... Pressure?

Shock2k

Reaction score
Wait that's not the word, no "praise" can they handle the praise. I don't like how this is going; praise often produces complacency more than confidence. My new factor is over-confidence.

To me the difference:
Confidence: Created through education, understanding, and execution.
Over-confidence: Created by unearned praise.
Complacency: Created by praise and a reduced work ethic.

This may be the first time where Seattle is really getting a love fest from the national media (Except Pete Priscoe of course). The Conference champion's have not been decided yet and you have one of the leading statisticians saying the Seahawks and the Patriots are going to the Superbowl.

Ok, what's your point Shock. I guess my point is, that this is going to be the next test of the leadership of Pete Carroll and the coaching staff, and in large part Russell Wilson. The Seahawks are hardly the underdog anymore. And that had to have been a major confidence boost to come back from 14 down to win a game.

If you are going to be a New England, or Green Bay, you need to be able to stay hungry while everyone is ON your side. I'm not sure in Seahawks history it's ever been that way. We're we REALLY favored against the Steeler's in the SB?

With that said, I have confidence in the staff and team leadership. Just wondering if anyone else has started thinking this.

Chapow

Reaction score
Shock2k":3r78aqzf said:

If you are referring to the Seahawks when you say "unearned praise", I think you're waaay off base.

They have most definitely earned the praise they are currently receiving.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Chapow":xa00i40t said:
Shock2k":xa00i40t said:

If you are referring to the Seahawks when you say "unearned praise", I think you're waaay off base.

They have most definitely earned the praise they are currently receiving.

No I put them in the "Confidence" category. Education, understanding, execution.

I'm saying does not having the national media chip on your shoulder change things.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... s-will-win
This would say no, but I totally disagree that coaches and players don't listen to the media. I just watched the NFL Films Ravens Superbowl where Billick specifically used the media as his "us against them" villian to get his teamed pumped up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think the Hawks were drinking their own Kool Aid a little too much last week, which resulted in getting punched in the mouth for the first quarter of the Skins game.

I don't expect that will happen again this week........at least it shouldn't. Hopefully lesson learned.

twelfman

Reaction score
Gotta love another sky is falling post
Russell hasn't acomplished his final goal yet
Every year it will be the same when a guy that studies harder than anybody else is the leader then everyone else wants to join in
When focusing on the next opponent by studying and planning , it leaves you little time for doubt, it just heightens your desire to succeed
We won't win every game but winning will be the norm and challenges will lead to greatness. if not now then next year but my money is on now

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think our defense gets overconfident at times. I don't think our offense does.

That said, the Falcons have WAY more pressure on them than the Hawks do.

They're playing the #1 seed. I don't see them getting overconfident, or buying into the media hype. If I was Carroll, I would be preaching to look at the 49ers this season. According to the media, at the beginning of the year, we shouldn't even have bothered playing San Fran, they were ordained to win the division. They still did, but barely. Most people had us finishing .500 or worse.

Latest posts