Seahawks could pursue Aldon Smith (Florio's Speculation)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MysterMatt":mqbl74wy said:
Yes, Aldon Smith the human being needs to make saving his life and getting a real handle on his addiction his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd priorities. As for signing him this year? I'd do it, just to lock him up for when his suspension lifts. Of course, all the obvious clauses and and what not would be in place as well, but if he realized that signing a min 2 year deal, with some incentives, was the best way to get back into the league's good graces while providing some small sense of stability, why not? He's only 26 next year, right?

It seems like very low risk and very high reward, assuming the locker room copes like professionals.

While I agree, I think some team, like with Hardy will sign him for far more money than we'd be willing to sign Smith for just to get him.........even if they have to wait half the year or until next year to see him play.

There are certain positions that are so valuable that teams are willing to put up with just about anything to sign a top player, and DE is one of those positions.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think after the Percy Harvin episode, seahawks have stopped giving 3rd chances. 2nd chances are fine, but this guys 2nd chances were in Santa clara. I am not sure talent will overtake character in this day and age. It's too much PR work and too much energy spend that can be spend somewhere else.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
seahawks08":3kr9irza said:
I think after the Percy Harvin episode, seahawks have stopped giving 3rd chances. 2nd chances are fine, but this guys 2nd chances were in Santa clara. I am not sure talent will overtake character in this day and age. It's too much PR work and too much energy spend that can be spend somewhere else.

What would make you think that? Isn't drafting Clark an indication quite to the contrary?

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Once again, Florio is responsible for writing the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Aldon Smith is Not Seahawk material.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8w0whz59 said:
MysterMatt":8w0whz59 said:
Yes, Aldon Smith the human being needs to make saving his life and getting a real handle on his addiction his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd priorities. As for signing him this year? I'd do it, just to lock him up for when his suspension lifts. Of course, all the obvious clauses and and what not would be in place as well, but if he realized that signing a min 2 year deal, with some incentives, was the best way to get back into the league's good graces while providing some small sense of stability, why not? He's only 26 next year, right?

It seems like very low risk and very high reward, assuming the locker room copes like professionals.

While I agree, I think some team, like with Hardy will sign him for far more money than we'd be willing to sign Smith for just to get him.........even if they have to wait half the year or until next year to see him play.

There are certain positions that are so valuable that teams are willing to put up with just about anything to sign a top player, and DE is one of those positions.
A fair point. There's always some team ready to overpay, especially at DE. A league min deal likely won't land him, but I can't see anyone really breaking the bank on such a high-risk player, either, not even Dallas.

However, and I mean this, Smith might also decide he needs to be in a culture like ours. I know next to nothing about him, other than most accounts say that (addiction notwithstanding) he's a decent person. This leads me to speculate that MAYBE he'll have criteria besides money on his next contract.

Anyhow, a fella can dream.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
sutz":1ptwtyak said:
Why pursue him? Don't the cops already have him in custody?

:twisted:

+1

I have a hard time seeing Smith getting anything less than a one-year suspension with a probationary/one strike measure following that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Florio just wrote that to piss off two fan bases and hope the other 30 would start rolling with laughter.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Speculation is fun. I'll give it a go:

"The Seattle Seahawks could move to Manilla, Luzon, Phillipines."

You try!

In all seriousness, Aldon probably won't be playing football at the NFL level for a year or two, so to act like he could provide a late-season surge this year is belligerent.

You know the whole Santorum/anal secretion thing Savage pulled off a few years ago? Could we start something like that for Florio?

Florio [FLO-ree-oh], Noun. Wildly-uninformed speculation presented as if it were credible in order to generate internet clicks and buzz for fans that aren't very good at critical thinking or reading between the lines.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
MysterMatt":suwgdzvr said:
Sgt. Largent":suwgdzvr said:
MysterMatt":suwgdzvr said:

A fair point. There's always some team ready to overpay, especially at DE. A league min deal likely won't land him, but I can't see anyone really breaking the bank on such a high-risk player, either, not even Dallas.

However, and I mean this, Smith might also decide he needs to be in a culture like ours. I know next to nothing about him, other than most accounts say that (addiction notwithstanding) he's a decent person. This leads me to speculate that MAYBE he'll have criteria besides money on his next contract.

Anyhow, a fella can dream.

Or we might see him in a Cardinals Uniform? I think that for a league minimum with no guarantees it might be worth the risk, especially if we sustain any injuries.. And as the article points out, Irvin is most likely gone next year and Avril starts to get old.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nanomoz":1wu6vff9 said:
Speculation is fun. I'll give it a go:

"The Seattle Seahawks could move to Manilla, Luzon, Phillipines."

You try!

In all seriousness, Aldon probably won't be playing football at the NFL level for a year or two, so to act like he could provide a late-season surge this year is belligerent.

You know the whole Santorum/anal secretion thing Savage pulled off a few years ago? Could we start something like that for Florio?

Florio [FLO-ree-oh], Noun. Wildly-uninformed speculation presented as if it were credible in order to generate internet clicks and buzz for fans that aren't very good at critical thinking or reading between the lines.

Florio is no different than any other sports talking head or writer............they call around to all the teams gauging interest, and of course whoever his "source " is with the Hawks parrot what Pete and John always say, which is "if we think a player will make us better, we're interested in them.

Which is why you always see that we're in the mix for just about every free agent. Doesn't mean it's serious, just means John and Pete are ALWAYS kicking the tires on EVERY available player. That's all Florio is reporting.

RiverDog

Reaction score
With the exception of the rumor about him getting into a fight with Kaepernick, a fight that even if it did happen was on the playing field, Smith has not been a problem in the locker room or a problem with his coaches. He's one of the best pass rushers in the league and still has a lot of miles on his tread.

But we are a long, long way from even thinking about bringing him in. If he can successfully navigate all the hurdles the league is likely to throw up in front of him, ie a year long suspension, 6 month stay at a de-tox center, aggressive random testing, and no run-ins with the law, then I would be all for bringing him in. It's when they bring in a known locker room cancer like Percy Harvin that I start to get uptight.

jblaze

Reaction score
No way we go after Aldon. He may do time in jail let alone any suspension which would probably be for a full season. Guy is talented, no doubt but he's a head case. Any person who talks about bombs in a TSA line is a mental case and is self-destructive.

We're deep at LEO/DE right now, we don't need him and I wouldn't want to introduce a potential locker room problem.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If All-done is convicted of his latest transgressions and doesn't spend time in prison I'd be extremely surprised.

Just say "no".

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think he is done.He will get in trouble again with all that down time.I don't think he cares and he has had plenty of chances to show otherwise.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Who would you release to make room for him?

We don't have spare cap space so even taking a flyer on him would require that someone else who would have made the 53 would be gone in his place. Possibly someone of significance because even with his troubles he will still likely get several million + on a prove it deal that still eats the cap.

I don't see it happening. I kind of feel like the Harvin signing cost us Tate. I wouldn't be willing to lose anyone for the possibility this guy could stay out of trouble. Not worth it.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
RichNhansom":29ufcwiz said:
Who would you release to make room for him?

We don't have spare cap space so even taking a flyer on him would require that someone else who would have made the 53 would be gone in his place. Possibly someone of significance because even with his troubles he will still likely get several million + on a prove it deal that still eats the cap.

I don't see it happening. I kind of feel like the Harvin signing cost us Tate. I wouldn't be willing to lose anyone for the possibility this guy could stay out of trouble. Not worth it.

Replacement for Bruce Irvin...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Seahawks could pursue Caitlyn Jenner too.

Florio is a poop tosser. He also has one of the world's most punchable faces.