Seahawks could pursue Aldon Smith (Florio's Speculation)

RiverDog

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3j44gw7z said:
Who would you release to make room for him?

We don't have spare cap space so even taking a flyer on him would require that someone else who would have made the 53 would be gone in his place. Possibly someone of significance because even with his troubles he will still likely get several million + on a prove it deal that still eats the cap.

I don't see it happening. I kind of feel like the Harvin signing cost us Tate. I wouldn't be willing to lose anyone for the possibility this guy could stay out of trouble. Not worth it.

He was suspended for 7 games last season, so even if they drop the DUI charge, the league has to suspend him for at least a year. The earliest he would be available would be in 2016. That's one of the reasons why the Niners released him so quickly, because he won't be available this season and he's a free agent next year.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I checked with my sources and from what I hear is that an agreement with the Seahawks is complex and depends on a variety of unknown factors.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":33eshkos said:
The question I have is if Aldon was a good teammate?

That's a good question.

I've never heard anything from Smith's current or former players/coaches that indicates he's a bad teammate or selfish individual. There is a rumor that he got into a fight with Colin Kaepernick, but multiple sources deny it, plus even if it was true, it supposedly occurred on the field during a practice, and fights on the practice field are pretty common.

IMO this is the big difference between a player like Smith and a player like Percy Harvin. Harvin was a poor teammate and a pain in the rear for his coaches, and the major reason why I was against the Harvin trade but would be open to the possibility of bringing in Aldon Smith. It's one thing to take a gamble on a single player but a totally different one when you're also risking the harmony of the entire team. The same thing can be said about the drafting of Frank Clark. There hasn't been a problem with his on field or locker room behavior.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":12fbci9y said:
RichNhansom":12fbci9y said:

We don't have spare cap space so even taking a flyer on him would require that someone else who would have made the 53 would be gone in his place. Possibly someone of significance because even with his troubles he will still likely get several million + on a prove it deal that still eats the cap.

I don't see it happening. I kind of feel like the Harvin signing cost us Tate. I wouldn't be willing to lose anyone for the possibility this guy could stay out of trouble. Not worth it.

Replacement for Bruce Irvin...

He is better than Bruce if he actually played, and now maybe cheaper. So I'm game and may be another Pete project.

Florio...is a D.S. though

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1rgs8qht said:
It wouldn't shock me if Pete & John had a cup off coffee with him, see where his head's at.
I don't doubt that at all. Pete pretty much thinks he could salvage anyone but he and John better keep in mind what happened with Percy this could be as bad in a different way.

Rocket

Reaction score
The Hawks could offer huge contracts to Lofa, Tru and Chad too... they were in camp, right? I seen a picture, honest, that's PROOF, right??? I read that Caitlyn Jenner is auditioning as WIDE receiver :) I read it right up there. ^^
Just as plausible as hiring a drunk off the street or Mr. Smith.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RiverDog":k386vbwi said:
RichNhansom":k386vbwi said:

He was suspended for 7 games last season, so even if they drop the DUI charge, the league has to suspend him for at least a year. The earliest he would be available would be in 2016. That's one of the reasons why the Niners released him so quickly, because he won't be available this season and he's a free agent next year.
He was suspended 9 games last year, to be accurate. 8)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3grhk4l4 said:
He was suspended 9 games last year, to be accurate. 8)

Thanks for the correction! :D

I knew he played in 7 games, so I got my numerator and denominator flip flopped.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I hope not. I don't care how good he is. He has had enough chances.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If he actually seems to fix his problems and grows the hell up during his year-long forthcoming suspension, I'd be down; it'd be worth kicking his tires just to watch 49ers fans react, IMO.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Why on earth Florio expects Seattle to pursue that clown when they're so deep along the DL already...

muxpux

Reaction score
People can change. But as someone who enjoys alcohol a bit too much, I can say the road to re-employment won't be easy. Granted I was unemployed when I got my one DUI over 6 years ago and didn't have a chance at a multi million dollar contract ahead of me, some people just can't quit the sauce. Not saying he can't but if it's a problem, it's a problem and always will be no matter if he's clean a year, or 4. Taking in a troubled player is one thing, but I can tell you, none of the guys who enjoy beers after games or whenever are gonna feel comfortable around someone trying to keep their nose clean. He'd actually be helping himself befriending Russell though. That's one man who can take him under his wing and turn his life around if he really wants to. I'm not opposed to it, just don't see it happening.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seems like the kind of risk that makes sense if you could do it for minimum investment. Plus like Ro said watching niner fans react would be worth it alone. We did bring TO in...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1h68we2m said:
It wouldn't shock me if Pete & John had a cup off coffee with him, see where his head's at.

Sure would shock me!! I see John and Pete reading that article over coffee in the morning , then looking up at each other and rolling their eyes. :roll:

massari

Reaction score
As long as he's a good teammate, It'd be awesome if they can get him on the cheap prove it contract.

If the Seahawks were interested in Greg Hardy I don't see why they wouldn't go after Aldon Smith.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
The Seahawks are too classy of an organization to pursue Aldon Smith. Aldon is a 25 year old dude who acts like an 8 year old, with behavior issues off the field, he has a drinking problem and he has been in & out of jail 5 times while with the Niners. Imvho, the Seahawks are now the "class" of the NFC West, don't get involved in the dysfunctional 49ers mess.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Actually he has a better chance of playing this year than next. This would be pushed out for at least a year and the NFL typically doesn't do anything until there has been results.

The exception could be his PO or the DA wanting to act immediately and arresting him for violation of his parole but there is already question as to whether he was actually drunk or not. Of course the DA should know the answer to this already. So if he hasn't already acted on either arresting Smith or at least getting a hearing set before a judge, it is very possible he won't.

Culliver still hasn't gone before a judge for his felony hit and run and weapons charge for the brass knuckles that happened last off season.

I'm not saying I would want him, I wouldn't. I would rather keep Irvin on a 1 year deal and then get the comp pick. I also don't believe Aldon is as dominant as some. Without Cowboy drawing double teams I think he becomes pretty average. Maybe slightly above.

RiverDog

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":2q6dgib0 said:
The Seahawks are too classy of an organization to pursue Aldon Smith. Aldon is a 25 year old dude who acts like an 8 year old, with behavior issues off the field, he has a drinking problem and he has been in & out of jail 5 times while with the Niners. Imvho, the Seahawks are now the "class" of the NFC West, don't get involved in the dysfunctional 49ers mess.

Yea, right. We drafted Frank Clark as our first overall pick then our GM told little white lies about how thorough our investigation of him was. We gave serious consideration to bringing in Greg Hardy. We traded for Percy Harvin even though there was substantial evidence that he was a cancer. We even gave the worst locker room cancer in two decades, T.O., a look-see.

Pete and John are no different than any other HC/GM. They'd make a pact with the Devil if they thought he could help them win a Lombardi.

massari

Reaction score
RichNhansom":pz2njffq said:
I'm not saying I would want him, I wouldn't. I would rather keep Irvin on a 1 year deal and then get the comp pick. I also don't believe Aldon is as dominant as some. Without Cowboy drawing double teams I think he becomes pretty average. Maybe slightly above.

Slightly above average? He was ranked #7 in the NFL top 100 in 2013 and #33 in 2014. Before Aldon was drafted, who did Justin Smith make a top 10 player by drawing double teams?

Aldon Smith would probably demand double coverage playing for the Seahawks and could make this D unstoppable.