Seahawks Free Agents

original poster

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":ibtftc16 said:
What comes off the books if Kam and Cliff retire?

Kam is tricky as he’s signing bonus can technically be clawed back to add to the cap but very, very unlikely Seattle would do this. We’re almost definitely on the hook for that IMO.

Cliff was much further along on his contract.

Expect $7.5M in cap for Cliff.

Lane is almost definitely gone as well, adding $4.75M.

Other players that make sense to be cut are -

K.J. Wright (although absolutely not happening) st $7.2M

Jon Ryan at $2M

Neiko Thorpe at $1.85M

Richard Sherman at $11M

Lose those players (NOT including KJ) and the cap sits at $46.6M

After taking into account practice squad ($1M), draft ($3-5M) and keeping back a few million for mid season injury signings the Seahawks could have over $35M in cap space.

Although with these cuts Seattle would have 31/32 players on the roster.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
thx for posting, very interesting

Been wondering how it all works if they retire vs. get released etc.

original poster

Reaction score
I’ll try and do an in depth post about it soon.

I probably enjoy cap/contract talk more than the games themselves (sometimes!)

Reaction score
original poster":3taqbaza said:
CHawkTailGator":3taqbaza said:

Not if he's injured. He's gotta pass a physical to cut him and save that money. Injury guarantees protect players contracts in the event of a career ending injury. He'd get that money still if this really is a career ending injury.

original poster

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2ig07n1y said:
original poster":2ig07n1y said:
CHawkTailGator":2ig07n1y said:

Not if he's injured. He's gotta pass a physical to cut him and save that money. Injury guarantees protect players contracts in the event of a career ending injury. He'd get that money still if this really is a career ending injury.

I'm almost positive if a player retires he forfeits his injury guarantees.

ivotuk

Reaction score
original poster":29oktas8 said:
CHawkTailGator":29oktas8 said:

Kam is tricky as he’s signing bonus can technically be clawed back to add to the cap but very, very unlikely Seattle would do this. We’re almost definitely on the hook for that IMO.

Jon Ryan at $2M

Neiko Thorpe at $1.85M

Richard Sherman at $11M

After taking into account practice squad ($1M), draft ($3-5M) and keeping back a few million for mid season injury signings the Seahawks could have over $35M in cap space.

Heartily disagree with the bolded ones. KJ is a Pro Bowl caliber LB, and Neiko Thorpe is our best Special Teams player, something we need more of, not less. Sherman is going nowhere. He can still be a lockdown corner, and compared to what we would have to pay to replace him, it's not worth it.

Some might say we already have a replacement, but we don't Lane is going away, and Kam likely too. We'll be losing depth. I don't see any scenario where we lose Sherman.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
original poster":gaosyl8y said:
gowazzu02":gaosyl8y said:
original poster":gaosyl8y said:
Sox-n-Hawks":gaosyl8y said:
Keep

P-Rich
Luke W
Sheldon Rich
B. Max
Shead

Let the rest go. Rebuild

I’d be on board with that.

You’d almost definitely have to cut Sherm, though. Also most likely extend Duane Brown a year early to drop his cap bit by $1-2M.

No reason to cut Sherm, they have plenty of money coming off the books.

I wouldn't be surprised if we kept more, because no doubt were going to lose enough to get some nice comp picks, so we wont be signing any FAs to lose those picks.

I dont know, I wasn't impressed with Sheldon Richardson....he hardly ever pushed in the pocket that I recall and he was playing with Avril (for the first third) Clark and Bennett on the outside so he in theory got plenty of one on ones...

I like keeping Maxwell, for some reason he just is better here.

I dont think we will pay Richardson what it will take to keep him. Shame but I think ok,

They really don’t. They have about $19.5M before draft players, practice squad and injury money.

Not a hope in hell you sign all those players without extending/cutting/trading a big name or two.

Exactly. And the only core coach left is Richard. He's consistently helped develop world class DBs. As much as I like Sherman, a ruptured achilles will not heal 100% he's on borrowed time. Put the weight on Shaq's shoulders and watch him grow.

original poster

Reaction score
ivotuk":144fh53r said:
original poster":144fh53r said:
CHawkTailGator":144fh53r said:

Jon Ryan at $2M

Neiko Thorpe at $1.85M

Richard Sherman at $11M

Heartily disagree with the bolded ones. KJ is a Pro Bowl caliber LB, and Neiko Thorpe is our best Special Teams player, something we need more of, not less. Sherman is going nowhere. He can still be a lockdown corner, and compared to what we would have to pay to replace him, it's not worth it.

Some might say we already have a replacement, but we don't Lane is going away, and Kam likely too. We'll be losing depth. I don't see any scenario where we lose Sherman.

I totally agree on KJ. I only really highlighted him as there’s a tonne of cap savings to be made and little dead money. I’d be very very surprised if he isn’t on the team next season.

I do disagree on Sherm, though. I don’t want him gone at all but I’m 50/50 If he’s on the roster next season. Totally depends on how ‘spendy’ they want to get with the departing FA’s, though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2wavrvci said:
original poster":2wavrvci said:
gowazzu02":2wavrvci said:
original poster":2wavrvci said:
I’d be on board with that.

You’d almost definitely have to cut Sherm, though. Also most likely extend Duane Brown a year early to drop his cap bit by $1-2M.

I wouldn't be surprised if we kept more, because no doubt were going to lose enough to get some nice comp picks, so we wont be signing any FAs to lose those picks.

I dont know, I wasn't impressed with Sheldon Richardson....he hardly ever pushed in the pocket that I recall and he was playing with Avril (for the first third) Clark and Bennett on the outside so he in theory got plenty of one on ones...

I dont think we will pay Richardson what it will take to keep him. Shame but I think ok,

They really don’t. They have about $19.5M before draft players, practice squad and injury money.

Not a hope in hell you sign all those players without extending/cutting/trading a big name or two.

Exactly. And the only core coach left is Richard. He's consistently helped develop world class DBs. As much as I like Sherman, a ruptured achilles will not heal 100% he's on borrowed time. Put the weight on Shaq's shoulders and watch him grow.

Curious....who do we have to take his place or do we draft for a replacement? We will need a trainee for the position. And this is for anyone to answer...I am not singling out a person, just the statement.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Just to clear things up with this thread the team has the following 36 FAs, ERFAs (13), RFAs (5), and UFA (18).

Those players are:

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (13)
OLB- OLB- 59- Josh Forrest (IR)
OC- 53- Joey Hunt,
DE- 67- Branden Jackson,
OLB- 47- P.J. Dawson,
DE- 99- Quinton Jefferson,
DT- 98- Garrison Smith,
LS- 69- Tyler Ott,
RB- 21- J.D. McKissic,
TE- 46- Tyrone Swoopes,
OT- 67- Tyrus Thompson (WI)> (IR)
OLB- 48- Christian French, (WI) > (IR)
SS- 37- Jordan Simone, (WI)> (IR)
CB- 36- Akeem King , (IR/PS)

Restricted Free Agents
(5)
OLB- 41- Dewey McDonald, (IR),
DE- 95- Dion Jordan,
CB- 28- Justin Coleman,
RB- 39- Mike Davis ,
RB- 34- Thomas Rawls,

(18)
TE- 88- Jimmy Graham,
LG- 78- Luke Joeckel,
RB- 27- Eddie Lacy,
DT- 91- Sheldon Richardson,
FS- 30- Bradley McDougald,
TE- 82-Luke Willson,
OLB- 57- Michael Wilhoite,
WR- 10- Paul Richardson,
P/K- 7- Blair Walsh (F),
DE- 97 - Marcus Smith II,
OG- 75- Oday Aboushi, (IR)
OT- 73- Matt Tobin,
OLB- 52- Terrence Garvin,
QB- 6- Austin Davis,
CB- 41- Byron Maxwell,
CB- 35- DeShawn Shead,
LB- 49- Kache Palacio,
OLB- 48- Jason Thompson,

needless to say not all of the se guys will be renewed.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":mrrptznc said:
Sox-n-Hawks":mrrptznc said:
original poster":mrrptznc said:
gowazzu02":mrrptznc said:

Curious....who do we have to take his place or do we draft for a replacement? We will need a trainee for the position. And this is for anyone to answer...I am not singling out a person, just the statement.

We have plenty of depth at CB right now. Shaq, Maxwell, Coleman, Shead, Thorpe, and last year's draft Tyson. We also have "He who shall not be named" but I HIGHLY doubt he's on the roster next season.

poly1274

Reaction score
But don't you have to give an extension to Duane Brown? Or he'll do another holdout.

original poster

Reaction score
poly1274":9cwfvmt2 said:
But don't you have to give an extension to Duane Brown? Or he'll do another holdout.

I’d imagine they’re already working on one.