Seahawks making “considerable progress” on Sherman deal

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Per year average means nothing but bragging rights. What counts is structure and guaranteed money. Remember that Revis' deal with TB had a $16 mil per year average but was structured so they could cut him after one year. Sherman will be getting plenty of money but a deal will be structured to allow us to keep our other guys.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1ilqvu7u said:
Seems like the last few years the actual contracts have come in less than "reported" numbers. For example, Michael Bennett was less than we were first told.

It's a little deceptive when contracts are first reported because most of them are backloaded. So when you hear that Bennett is only making 4M in 2014 you have to consider the fact that he's going to make 9.5M in 2017.

So I'm sure Sherm's 2014 and 2015 total salary will be far below the 13M that's been reported...........but the average over the life of the contract will be in the 13M a year range.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Even at 13M AAV, the structure/guaranteed $$$ is what matters. Frankly, I would personally think Sherm at 13M AAV is a steal in this market.

Same with Earl Thomas getting 10M AAV. For a sure-shot HOF safety like him, I think it makes perfect sense. All the better if he gets locked up right before the salary cap goes up over the next couple years.

the ditch

Reaction score
I'll never get mad at a player for trying to get as much money as possible, especially in football where your guaranteed money is typically a portion of the contract.

That being said if they price themselves off our team then it's next man up but would like to see Sherman stay if it's possible.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I'm not going to worry my pretty little head over the numbers. There's so many different ways to balance contracts that the numbers really don't matter in a vacuum; it matters how the numbers work in relation to everyone else on the team, who takes the big cap hits and when. Between bonuses, guarantees, front loading, back loading etc. etc. they can make it work in such a way that everyone who matters gets *paid*. Sherman, Thomas and Wilson will all get their big money seasons, they just won't likely happen at the same time because that'll murder the cap for that particular season, but they'll make all the contracts fit if they deem them necessary for our continued success.

Glad to hear they're making progress with Sherm though. The bean counters deserve an extra pat on the head if they make it all work. :)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
DavidSeven":5uxhle9u said:
Averages don't mean anything. Structure/guaranteed money is everything.

Forget the money. He is the premiere CB in the NFL. If the Seahawks can fit his salary into their cap model, then this is nothing but fantastic news. Seahawks fans should try to enjoy good news once in a while. Just see how it feels.

I'm on board. It feels great.

Seriously, it's so rare in pro sports to have a front office and coaching staff you can completely trust. I'm glad to be free of the burden of second-guessing their decisions.

Lock up Sherman and keep on winning forever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
the ditch":1edibeyd said:
That being said if they price themselves off our team then it's next man up but would like to see Sherman stay if it's possible.

I don't see this happening with either Earle or Sherm, nor do I see JS and Pete playing hardball with contract negotiations trying to save every last penny on these two.

These players know that they have an amazing situation here in Seattle where they're playing in one of the greatest defensive backfields of all time, so they're not going to demand the moon. Normally you only see situations like that with players on bad teams who have the luxury of saying "pay me whatever I want, or I'm gone cause I don't care about staying here anyway."

Bennett's led the way for the kind of deal that makes everyone happy. Not breaking the bank, but also being paid nicely. I see this for both Sherm and Earle.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
You've also got to think about who is leaking the potential new deal. We know it's not the Seahawks. They're notoriously tight-lipped. So I'm guessing it's coming from the agent. The numbers are what he wants to be floating out there, not what ultimately is accepted.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't mind the 13 mil price tag.

Its only 1 mil plus than I thought he'd be worth per year.

Besides 1) you should always take reported numbers with a grain of salt 2) we don't know the contract language... it could be a bogus sixth year or unreachable incentives that inflate his cap value to make him the highest paid CB in the NFL and get all the haters off his back.

Either way... he's been a top CB ever since he's has started in the league for the most part... his attitude, intelligence, and leadership his infectious much like Russell Wilson's is. He deserves top dollar.

And to others who are whining about Thomas... it wouldn't surprise me that his deal is already done but it was the players ideas to get Sherman's contract done... so they could announce it together.

#It Feels Like Christmas

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Natethegreat":28ekzrlj said:
I love Shermen but I sincerely hope its not 13 mill per year. Especially when we are redoing the contract early anyway. We could pay considerably less just by keeping him as is and franchising him for two years. No cornerback is worth 13 per year anyway. That seems very steep.

You realize the franchise number for corners this year was just a hair under 12M right?

Sherman has far outplayed his rookie contract, franchising him would be a slap in the face. We need to extend his deal. 13M/year for the top corner in football is not a bad deal.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":28b07kwv said:
We knew this day was coming; everybody calm down. Sherman led the league in interceptions while being targeted the least of any starting corner in the NFL, and on top of that, he has a penchant for making big plays when they're needed. Look at The Immaculate Deflection and his pick-six at the end of the Texans game to tie it up and put us in overtime, for example.

Buying that kind of talent isn't cheap, and the league is only passing more and more with each passing year. It's worth it. If you still want to whine about the cost, then just contemplate how 49ers fans will react when they see confirmation that they have to see him suit up for us for many years to come. :)
This covers it. Good post Ro. Now let's get ET done too. More Super Bowls to come.............

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3avywfev said:
Natethegreat":3avywfev said:
I love Shermen but I sincerely hope its not 13 mill per year. Especially when we are redoing the contract early anyway. We could pay considerably less just by keeping him as is and franchising him for two years. No cornerback is worth 13 per year anyway. That seems very steep.

You realize the franchise number for corners this year was just a hair under 12M right?

Sherman has far outplayed his rookie contract, franchising him would be a slap in the face. We need to extend his deal. 13M/year for the top corner in football is not a bad deal.
It's only 500,000-1 million more than I expected anyway. Plus the salary cap is going up big time in the next 2 years and beyond.

the ditch

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fj6hk5w said:
the ditch":1fj6hk5w said:

I don't see this happening with either Earle or Sherm, nor do I see JS and Pete playing hardball with contract negotiations trying to save every last penny on these two.

These players know that they have an amazing situation here in Seattle where they're playing in one of the greatest defensive backfields of all time, so they're not going to demand the moon. Normally you only see situations like that with players on bad teams who have the luxury of saying "pay me whatever I want, or I'm gone cause I don't care about staying here anyway."

Bennett's led the way for the kind of deal that makes everyone happy. Not breaking the bank, but also being paid nicely. I see this for both Sherm and Earle.

Didn't someone make a thread on the fact that the Seahawks are one of the best payers of players in the league?

In my head I see the Seahawks wanting to sign Sherman and Earl (obviously Russell in the future), but I'd rather see an Earl extension first but for all we know the could be working on that as well.

Maybe I'm off though, can the Seahawks talk contract extension with Earl right now?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Surprised to see that Sherm will get a new deal before Earl, but also very excited about it. Hope it happens.

drdiags

Reaction score
The Sherman leak saying he is close to a deal before hearing anything about Earl could lead one to speculate that Earl wants to test the market. Since the FO never stated what the negotiating priorities were, the assumption was that Earl was the higher priority. Maybe Rappoport was wrong about Earl being the higher priority?

Hope it's true that Sherman should have something done prior to the draft. Not sure if I trust JLC or Rappoport.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":3w1sa2ti said:
Goodbye Maxwell :(

Maxwell was probably going to be gone soon anyway. This team will keeps its stars, and everyone else will likely have to be replaced internally.

That's why guys like Lane and vital.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":myxympd6 said:
The Sherman leak saying he is close to a deal before hearing anything about Earl could lead one to speculate that Earl wants to test the market. Since the FO never stated what the negotiating priorities were, the assumption was that Earl was the higher priority. Maybe Rappoport was wrong about Earl being the higher priority?

Hope it's true that Sherman should have something done prior to the draft. Not sure if I trust JLC or Rappoport.

I thought that before FA started that the FO said Earl was a priority this off season.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1sinyaiw said:
Natethegreat":1sinyaiw said:

Yeah three years at around 25 mill works out to 8.3 mill per. Which is about 5 mil or more in savings per year. Pretty large amount especially when Thomas and Russell have not been extended yet. I was hoping they could get it done in the 12 per range or less considering they are redoing the contract early.
If the cap keeps going up like some say it won't be as bad though.

Latest posts