Seahawks making “considerable progress” on Sherman deal

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":1u6kgzoo said:
The Sherman leak saying he is close to a deal before hearing anything about Earl could lead one to speculate that Earl wants to test the market. Since the FO never stated what the negotiating priorities were, the assumption was that Earl was the higher priority. Maybe Rappoport was wrong about Earl being the higher priority?

Hope it's true that Sherman should have something done prior to the draft. Not sure if I trust JLC or Rappoport.

Earle is never going to test the free agent market, we'd franchise him for the next 10 years if we have to.

theascension

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has stated many times how amazing Earl Thomas's work ethic is and how it lifts everyone in the locker room. There's no way he's not a priority.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12moltcn said:
drdiags":12moltcn said:
The Sherman leak saying he is close to a deal before hearing anything about Earl could lead one to speculate that Earl wants to test the market. Since the FO never stated what the negotiating priorities were, the assumption was that Earl was the higher priority. Maybe Rappoport was wrong about Earl being the higher priority?

Hope it's true that Sherman should have something done prior to the draft. Not sure if I trust JLC or Rappoport.

Earle is never going to test the free agent market, we'd franchise him for the next 10 years if we have to.

For at least 3, but at some point the CBA says it has to stop. If he wanted to move on, he could. Not saying he does, just looking at the sphere from all angles.

drdiags

Reaction score
OkieHawk":rhou8spc said:
I thought that before FA started that the FO said Earl was a priority this off season.

That is originally what I thought but then I started thinking maybe it was just the NFL.com stuff I was remembering. I trust your memory better than my own, so I am going to chalk the current news as more a product of a chatty agent for Sherman vs Earl's agent keeping things under wraps. Though I did read last week that talks hadn't even started with Earl's agents and the FO.

Again, not sure I trust what I read from these reporters and just have to wait for the announcement of one or both of these players coming out before TC.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Sherman is the best shutdown corner in the NFL. Teams don't even TRY to throw at him. Pay dude like he deserves. Can you imagine the Seahawks without Sherm? We'd be total p*****S.

Jbo

Reaction score
That news is music to my ears!!!!! Thank god, I was stressing about this deal taking to long. Another reason to celebrate today!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
drdiags":2o58cs03 said:
OkieHawk":2o58cs03 said:
I thought that before FA started that the FO said Earl was a priority this off season.

That is originally what I thought but then I started thinking maybe it was just the NFL.com stuff I was remembering. I trust your memory better than my own, so I am going to chalk the current news as more a product of a chatty agent for Sherman vs Earl's agent keeping things under wraps. Though I did read last week that talks hadn't even started with Earl's agents and the FO.

Again, not sure I trust what I read from these reporters and just have to wait for the announcement of one or both of these players coming out before TC.

I think Earl is clearly a priority, but I don't recall the FO ever coming out and saying anything (even as a "source close to the situation") that indicated that one guy was higher priority than another.

I think maybe the pundits (and others, like myself) jumped to that conclusion because Earl was drafted first and would logically be in line to get the next extension. Of course, as kidhawk pointed out, Thomas has been more well-compensated thus far in his career and has a nice salary coming his way in 2014, to boot. Sherman's salary is even further below his value than Thomas, and I've got no issues with them taking care of him first. I don't think it makes any sense to read any more into it than that, though I'm sure there will be some Hawks fans who take this news to mean that Thomas is dead set on leaving (you know, because he never wanted to be here anyway... didn't you see his body language during the draft?!!1!one!).

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Earl is "a" priority, not "the" or "the only" priority. I'm not worried too much about Thomas's deal getting done. There's no way this team lets him hit the open market. He'll get his 10M+ AAV, and rightly so.

I have to say that I am really excited about our best guys getting long-term deals. We're going to have Kam, Earl, and Sherman set in our defensive backfield for years to come after this off-season. When I think about what a dumpster fire the secondary was before Coach Carroll and John Schneider got here (Brian friggin' Russell, Deon Grant, Kelly Jennings...kill me now), it makes me appreciate any extension talk for these guys.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think everyone kind of figured 24-25M was going to Sherm and Thomas if both deals get done. If Sherm is signed with a 13M/yr deal, that leaves a perfect amount to get Earl done as well.

With Maxwell becoming a FA soon though, wouldn't surprise me if they draft a corner relatively early in a few weeks.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Doesn't matter who technically gets done first. The "priority" was to get both done this off-season. Does it matter if Sherm signs this week and Earl signs in two weeks or vice versa? It's all the same off-season. I'm not sure why people would bother fretting about that. Judging by how this off-season has played out, it was clear they were going to do both guys. The timing is immaterial at this point.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol @ complaining about the price

You gotta pay for the best CB in the league, and he wasn't gonna come cheap.

I just hope we have enough after to keep Bobby Wagner.

Cartire

Reaction score
.net, always something to complain about.

That should be the slogan on the header instead of voice of the 12th man.

General Manager

Reaction score
The best player in the secondary great news for Seattle. Sherman is the best corner in football I really hope they get this done soon.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
kidhawk":t3snsehw said:
volsunghawk":t3snsehw said:
The only thing that surprises me about this is that reports are leaking about it before we hear anything about the work on Earl's extension. We're under a little more of a time crunch for Earl, and I expected work on his deal first.

Of course, it's likely that they're working on his extension, as well... but we just don't have any leaks about it.

I'm sure they can work more than one at a time, but IMO Sherman's deal is more important than Earl's, just as a show of respect.

Sherman has made $1,577,424 for his first 3 years in the league

Thomas has made 5,675,000 over the first 4 years in the league

This difference is due to the fact that Thomas was signed before the rookie cap was put into place.

This coming season, Thomas is due $4,625,000 which brings him up to 10,300,000 for his 5 year career so far.

Sherman is only due $1,431,000 this season putting his total 4 year earnings at $3,008,424.

A big part of the difference was that Thomas was a 1st rd. pick while Sherman was a 5th. That's the main reason. I think Sherman was drafted before the rookie cap was put in place. He was here in 2011 and the rookie cap came to be in 2012

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":b98m7xji said:
I think Sherman was drafted before the rookie cap was put in place. He was here in 2011 and the rookie cap came to be in 2012

Nope, the rookie cap took effect with the new CBA in 2011. That's why we haven't been able to negotiate with Sherman until this offseason.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I don't trust anything PFT says about our team. I doubt the APY will be more than 13 million a year. However, around 6/60 is entirely reasonable and expected.

That all being said, structure is all that matters; especially with the salary cap going up. Overall, as long as the team has the flexibility to cut him with minimal ramification 3-4 years into the contract - then I am on board.

Same with Harvin - he only has 4.8 million of dead money in his 4th season, with 2.4 in his 5th and none in his 6th. From those numbers - and the fact that his cap hit was minimal this past season - he really only NEEDS to perform this season and the next for him not to be a bust.

Latest posts