Seahawks making “considerable progress” on Sherman deal

HawkWow

Reaction score
$13 mil is huge but better than I once feared. Had Revis stayed in the $16 mil range, there's no way in hell Sherm would have accepted less. Both Sherm and Earl will be the top paid players at their positions and rightfully so. I expect it will cost $23 mil per to keep them both in Seattle. A whole lot of money...a whole lot of coverage. It is what it is.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I hate the "gossip" media and I HATE the salary cap now that we have the richest owner in the league.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Thank god we have one of the best talent recruiters in football history as our coach. Throw in Schneider and you're looking at an amazing ability to find young talent to help us now and in the future.

And we're going to need it once Sherman signs that $14m/yr $40m-guaranteed deal.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Cartire":2iickzys said:
.net, always something to complain about.

That should be the slogan on the header instead of voice of the 12th man.

lol..... :13:

The Radish

Reaction score
Someone mentioned franchising Sherman for 2 years after his rookie contract is up. Is it allowed to franchise players on their rookie contract? Somehow I doubt it would be allowed.

Anyway doing it that way would make it more expensive anyway. How about we be the team that sets the standards rather than letting some other team do it?

:roll:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ffey8io2 said:
I think everyone kind of figured 24-25M was going to Sherm and Thomas if both deals get done. If Sherm is signed with a 13M/yr deal, that leaves a perfect amount to get Earl done as well.

Definitely not everybody. Six months or so ago I said that given their ages and as the best players at their respective positions in the league that 22 on the low end and 26 on the high end was the likely range, and I got absolutely trashed as a hater and a troll.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":hjkk7nqd said:
Hasselbeck":hjkk7nqd said:
I think everyone kind of figured 24-25M was going to Sherm and Thomas if both deals get done. If Sherm is signed with a 13M/yr deal, that leaves a perfect amount to get Earl done as well.

Definitely not everybody. Six months or so ago I said that given their ages and as the best players at their respective positions in the league that 22 on the low end and 26 on the high end was the likely range, and I got absolutely trashed as a hater and a troll.
We'll you have to admit, those that thrashed you and called you a troll were deadly accurate with their description. Just sayin!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
There goes the webzone and whiner troll cap conspiracy theories down the crapper! Sucks to be them! 8)

Tokadub

Reaction score
I hate to be the drunken a-hole, but I do hold this opinion while sober.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to sign Sherman this year. We can have him another entire year for what 1.5 million?

Why in the world would we pay him franchise breaking money before determining if he will be worth it in the long run? What if last season was the peak of his career and he gets injured or just slows down a bit in 2014?

It's very realistic that his production could drop from the 12+ million dollar a year value to being a much more average cornerback, or he could get seriously injured. He seemed to get shaken up a bit more than usual on several occasions towards the end of 2013, he could be starting to break down just a tiny bit.

We also have Maxwell who could potentially reach Sherman like levels in the near future if he continues to improve and Sherman drops off even slightly.

I was kinda hoping we could have kept Browner for cheap but we saw how much he was worth (17 million for 3 years).

Is Sherman worth more than Browner and Maxwell combined? Right now yes, in the future (even 2014) I'm not so sure if he will be... but we would be paying him like he was worth more than both of them combined.

I think we should just let him play out his 2014 season at 1.5 million, see if he's still worth the 12+ million a year by the start of 2015, my guess is he has already peaked and it would be foolish to pay him top dollar right now when injury or age could become a factor in the immediate future.

I would rather lock up Earl Thomas, he should be cheaper and I have a feeling he will stay healthier than Sherman since he's a much more stocky durable guy. Sherman really does seem to have the body type to be injury prone we are blessed he's been so healthy. Not to mention Earl Thomas is 2 years younger and I think he would be even harder to replace, Thomas might not have even reached his peak...

Pretty sure Sherman just peaked last season, it's downhill from here on out and I am a huge Sherman fan both on and off the field so I'm not just hating.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Oh one more point before I pass out...

If we just let that 12 million dollars roll into next year we could lock up Baldwin for at least 2 years just from that...

OR that money could go to any other extremely valuable players:

- Cliff Avril
- Malcom Smith
- Jermaine Kearse
- Sidney Rice
- Tavaris Jackson
- KJ Wright
- Ricardo Lockette

Some of those guys are more "extremely valuable" than others, but according to this link all of them will be free agents in 2015:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

Of course that 12 million dollars could also make things a lot easier to hold our team together with Russell Wilson and Earl Thomas for our future...

I'm not saying we should cut Sherman, but waiting for next off season makes a WHOLE LOTTA SENSE to me :les:

McGruff

Reaction score
SHerman has had 2.5 seasons now of ranging very verry good the HOF CB performances. This season was not a flash in the pan, and I see no reason to expect a decline in performance.

As far as the others are concerned, paying midling veterans midling money, not matter how valuable they are, and letting superstars walk, is what has gotten past superbowl champions into rapid decline. I trust our coaching staff and scouting department enough by now to find and develop more rookie to do what Smith, Kearse, Maxwell, etc. have done for cheaper than second contract players receive. Its a lot easier to coach a good athlete to above average play than it is to find HOF caliber players.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tokadub. First, you need to realize that contracts have structures and $12m/y does not mean $12 off the cap.

Second, injury is a risk with any player. Basing your decision to extend the best CB in the league off the possibility of future injuries is ludicrous.

Third, peaking? Maxwell becoming as good? Sherm is still only 25 right? Are you just calling three years a fluke coincidence?

Fourth, if you don't extend him, you are forced to franchise him or else lose him to FA. Players don't like being franchised. Will it cause discontent and a drop off in production as a result?

Fifth, did you read the examiner article?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
GCrow":2l4fwulu said:
If people think 13M a year is too much, then i'm very curious as to what they expected he would get?

They expect every player to give a massive hometown discount and to conduct a press conference in which they thank the organization, the city of Seattle, and the fanbase for the opportunity to play here at all.

I think $13M is fine when given this year's salary cap growth and the projections for continued cap growth in the years to come.

Cartire

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3se57fkt said:
GCrow":3se57fkt said:
If people think 13M a year is too much, then i'm very curious as to what they expected he would get?

They expect every player to give a massive hometown discount and to conduct a press conference in which they thank the organization, the city of Seattle, and the fanbase for the opportunity to play here at all.

I think $13M is fine when given this year's salary cap growth and the projections for continued cap growth in the years to come.

Have one of the kids at the Children's Hospital ask RW to do it. 10:1 he complies.

blkhwk

Reaction score
do not look at the average per year, look at the guaranteed money, that is all that matters.

edogg23

Reaction score
Tokadub":2fd0rzja said:
I hate to be the drunken a-hole, but I do hold this opinion while sober.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to sign Sherman this year. We can have him another entire year for what 1.5 million?

Why in the world would we pay him franchise breaking money before determining if he will be worth it in the long run? What if last season was the peak of his career and he gets injured or just slows down a bit in 2014?

It's very realistic that his production could drop from the 12+ million dollar a year value to being a much more average cornerback, or he could get seriously injured. He seemed to get shaken up a bit more than usual on several occasions towards the end of 2013, he could be starting to break down just a tiny bit.

We also have Maxwell who could potentially reach Sherman like levels in the near future if he continues to improve and Sherman drops off even slightly.

I was kinda hoping we could have kept Browner for cheap but we saw how much he was worth (17 million for 3 years).

Is Sherman worth more than Browner and Maxwell combined? Right now yes, in the future (even 2014) I'm not so sure if he will be... but we would be paying him like he was worth more than both of them combined.

I think we should just let him play out his 2014 season at 1.5 million, see if he's still worth the 12+ million a year by the start of 2015, my guess is he has already peaked and it would be foolish to pay him top dollar right now when injury or age could become a factor in the immediate future.

I would rather lock up Earl Thomas, he should be cheaper and I have a feeling he will stay healthier than Sherman since he's a much more stocky durable guy. Sherman really does seem to have the body type to be injury prone we are blessed he's been so healthy. Not to mention Earl Thomas is 2 years younger and I think he would be even harder to replace, Thomas might not have even reached his peak...

Pretty sure Sherman just peaked last season, it's downhill from here on out and I am a huge Sherman fan both on and off the field so I'm not just hating.
I agree with most of this. If he wants north of 13 million, let him play next season at his current rate, it makes little sense to try and lock him up now, the money you save next season can go toward his new contract the following year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tokadub":2x01szzz said:
OR that money could go to any other extremely valuable players:

- Cliff Avril
- Malcom Smith
- Jermaine Kearse
- Sidney Rice
- Tavaris Jackson
- KJ Wright
- Ricardo Lockette

Did you really just list re-signing Ricardo Lockette and Tarvaris Jackson as reasons why we shouldn't extend Sherman now?

There isn't a single "extremely" valuable player on your list. Avril is the only who borders on being essential. We made tougher cuts THIS YEAR. In case the message hasn't sunk in yet, this F.O. isn't going to waste its dollars on middling talent. They're going to sign and re-sign its superstars at premium prices. If we burned our cap on players like the ones you listed, we'd be over the cap right now.

BTW, I believe you're the one who had to have the concept of cap structuring explained to you a bunch of times when Bennett re-signed. It seems you're still missing the point. Just because Sherm's deal averages $12+M doesn't mean his cap hit next year is $12M+, nor does it mean he'll make that much real money through the life of his deal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Only Cliff Avril and KJ Wright warrant consideration for extensions off that list. The rest can be replaced by rookie contracts in a heartbeat.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
I believe Earl's deal is already complete. I think his Twitter post last week was a hint on that front. I've stated, and many of you know, that Earl is a higher priority/value to the team than Sherman, so it would make sense that his deal is finished first, providing the certainty JSPC would want before finalizing Sherman.

I also believe the reason we're not hearing about it yet is because they are close to completing Sherman's deal and this is how John Schneider operates his program. I've previously referenced how Kam was handled last year as precedent to what we can expect this year. When Kam was signed to his new deal last year, a press conference was held, and JS made it a point to say he wanted Kam to have "his day in the sun." He expounded by saying that Kam was a 5th round pick who worked hard, did everything they asked of him, and he wanted Kam to get the recognition he deserved.

Sherman is in the same boat as Kam. I postulate that a press conference will be called soon to announce Sherm's extension, giving him "his day in the sun", and praising how far he's come and all he's done for the organization. I believe shortly thereafter, we'll hear Earl's deal announced in a similar manner. Unless talks hit a snag, I expect this is the order they will be announced to the public.

Latest posts