Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick

Hyak

Reaction score
The other aspect of this that a lot of people are ignoring is the theoretical scenario of Kaepernick playing an extended period of time if Wilson was out.

What's the drop off from Wilson and is it substantially higher than with Boykin? That gap/cost difference projection is very likely the decision point. With all indications that the Hawks are willing to offer the vet minimum, regardless of what they say publicly, that's pretty telling to me on what they really think.

replicant

Reaction score
It's also possible the Seahawks heard from a fairly sizable number of fans who told them they didn't want someone on their team who disrespected the American flag and it's anthem.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
replicant":60zp499u said:
It's also possible the Seahawks heard from a fairly sizable number of fans who told them they didn't want someone on their team who disrespected the American flag and it's anthem.

Ha-ha. That's funny. Any team that makes decisions based on fan input is destined to go 4-12 --- if they're lucky. Like the NY Giants.

Most NFL teams will do whatever they have to do to win. If Michael Vick found his way back into an NFL starting lineup after what he did, anything is possible,

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Word was the Seahawks wanted to give him vet minimum but he wanted league average backup money (about 3 million).

Maybe the Hawks aren't willing to pay league average for a 2nd string QB no matter who they are (really the only way to make sense of it), but if you want him, that he isn't worth league average backup money is funny.

My personal feeling on it is that there's a CHANCE (not a guarantee) that the Hawks core group of players looks pretty different two years from now.

With the core group of guys they have, that a 2nd QB you can win with isn't worth 3 mil seems kinda risky to me, particularly st this point in the offseason when it's not money you're allocating anywhere else and there's no future ramifications (guessing there's no way Kap wants more than a one year deal, because why would he?)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.

Hyak

Reaction score
It's all about how much they value an insurance policy that's more proven/expensive that the one they already have in Boykin. Assuming it's a one year deal, it would also commit to keeping 3 QB's on the roster unless this move is coincided with cutting bait on Boykin, which does not appear to be the case.

Jville

Reaction score
These Kaepernick threads are like a bad date that won't stop calling.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3qzttfe3 said:
Word was the Seahawks wanted to give him vet minimum but he wanted league average backup money (about 3 million).

Maybe the Hawks aren't willing to pay league average for a 2nd string QB no matter who they are (really the only way to make sense of it), but if you want him, that he isn't worth league average backup money is funny.

My personal feeling on it is that there's a CHANCE (not a guarantee) that the Hawks core group of players looks pretty different two years from now.

With the core group of guys they have, that a 2nd QB you can win with isn't worth 3 mil seems kinda risky to me, particularly st this point in the offseason when it's not money you're allocating anywhere else and there's no future ramifications (guessing there's no way Kap wants more than a one year deal, because why would he?)

First of all . . . link?

So far, the Seahawks have been the only team brave enough to show any interest in Kaepernick.

Parsing Carroll's comments, Kaepernick could be holding out for starter's money, but we really don't know either way. Where are you getting your $3 million figure?

Even if the Seahawks were unwilling to pay $3 million (again, link???), that does not mean they don't think Kaepernick is WORTH that amount. Carroll was very clear that he believes Kaepernick deserves to be a starter somewhere. You are just trying to stir up drama with your own speculation.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
People want to make this about politics and such but the facts are:

1) One-read-and-take-off-running;
2) Can't read a defense;
3) Willing to throw into the worst possible coverage situation at the worst possible time;
4) Unapologetic about #3 after the NFCCG, and said he'd do it every time;
5) All passes are 98 mph fastballs with no finesse or even any speed changes;
6) On a vegan diet so he's losing muscle mass and fitness.

I don't how any of you would ever think that dude would be a decent starter on a decent team. If he would be a starter on any NFL team just goes to show that some turds float to the top of the bowl.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Someone on the zone from Seattle said Hisrd reported it on the radio there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maybe Colin wants more money than the Seahawks are willing to give. Too bad they couldn't come to an agreement. Maybe they still will.

It'd would be nice to have someone with CK's experience as a backup to Wilson. Not just for insurance but also to push him a bit. That's what has been lacking the past couple of years. That guy that will push RW. I don't see Boykin or Heaps doing that. Not at the level that CK would. Pushing RW would help to make him even better.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
They are still negotiating. The longer we get into summer, the weaker CK's leverage becomes.

Someone will likely pick him up be it the Hawks or someone else.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2h3ja6hi said:
People want to make this about politics and such but the facts are:

1) One-read-and-take-off-running;
2) Can't read a defense;
3) Willing to throw into the worst possible coverage situation at the worst possible time;
4) Unapologetic about #3 after the NFCCG, and said he'd do it every time;
5) All passes are 98 mph fastballs with no finesse or even any speed changes;
6) On a vegan diet so he's losing muscle mass and fitness.

I don't how any of you would ever think that dude would be a decent starter on a decent team. If he would be a starter on any NFL team just goes to show that some turds float to the top of the bowl.

very fair assessment...he played on some stacked niner teams but I seem to recall it was mostly his fault for blowing the big games. Like I said...pass..

NINEster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":srop2i17 said:
Josea16":srop2i17 said:
Seymour":srop2i17 said:
In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance LOL.
Why the LOL? Fact is he can and should be a starter for 10-15 teams in the NFL, not for the Seahawks of course but he's a damn good backup for any team with a top 10 quarterback. I know your whole deal is to hate on certain players and be negative but really?

Kaepernick is only good as a backup. He's a one-read guy with no game beyond his mobility. He would only start on 10-15 teams because their QB-drafting skills went belly-up anyway.

Miami must have been unable to take away his first read last year, while simultaneously taking away all of Wilson's reads and scramble drills....

Kap is still a decent NFL QB when you sum out all of his strengths and weaknesses.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Pete is right, Kaep is a starting caliber QB in the league (for those 10-15 teams). He just is not a franchise level QB.

Parsing what Pete said, I'm guessing there is an offer on the table that Kaepernick isn't ready to accept yet. Kaep is still pursuing a starting role for this year. If he doesn't get it, I bet he comes back to the Hawks as a backup on a one-year contract.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":334gfoiq said:
Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.

I wondered that as well. The main problem I'm having with that thought is, why would Pete give him the endorsement and even say someone should sign him, if they plan or even hope he falls to them at a lessor cost? If you really want a player on your team, you don't tip your hand and pretty much advise another team to sign him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1cren74i said:
Uncle Si":1cren74i said:

I wondered that as well. The main problem I'm having with that thought is, why would Pete give him the endorsement and even say someone should sign him, if they plan or even hope he falls to them at a lessor cost? If you really want a player on your team, you don't tip your hand and pretty much advise another team to sign him.

Fair point. I guess it depends on how much he "really" wants him. I'm not sure Kaep is necessity to requirements for the Seahawks.

Maybe he just likes the kid and wants to see him starting for an NFL team this year.

Latest posts