Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
seeing the media coverage on this every single day annoys me a lot. The story lines are just ridiculous, and most completely fabricated to stir up more clicks. Only team to even talk to him, and now somehow because we didn't sign him immediately we are dumb/part of the problem. More stupid noise we don't need. In part, this is why I never wanted us to go near him. The other part is because I think he is a bad quarterback.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
JTB":103t6c0r said:
The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......
I read that it wasn't from "competition" so much as an attempt to avoid locker room controversy (the whole "Wilson gets special treatment" thing, resulting in players on the defense supporting Kaepernick and dividing the locker room, despite the fact that Wilson is clearly the better QB).

Hyak

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3kzt4kle said:
JTB":3kzt4kle said:
The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......
I read that it wasn't from "competition" so much as an attempt to avoid locker room controversy (the whole "Wilson gets special treatment" thing, resulting in players on the defense supporting Kaepernick and dividing the locker room, despite the fact that Wilson is clearly the better QB).

From Florio's article, he gets into the competition aspect of it to and does his typical passive aggressive analysis.

Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.

Currently, Trevone Boykin and Jake Heaps are the only other candidates to play, and no one will be clamoring for either of them. If the Seth Wickersham article regarding the belief that the Seahawks don’t hold Wilson accountable is accurate, the Seahawks have every reason to resist adding a player behind whom certain players could rally.

Seymour

Reaction score
With a little help (yes Tom...you), Wilson is flat out going to shut up those hot air bags this season. I'd put money on it.

Josea16

Reaction score
JTB":3pt7foqn said:
5_Golden_Rings":3pt7foqn said:
JTB":3pt7foqn said:

From Florio's article, he gets into the competition aspect of it to and does his typical passive aggressive analysis.

Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.

Currently, Trevone Boykin and Jake Heaps are the only other candidates to play, and no one will be clamoring for either of them. If the Seth Wickersham article regarding the belief that the Seahawks don’t hold Wilson accountable is accurate, the Seahawks have every reason to resist adding a player behind whom certain players could rally.
Dude isn't worth reading and clickbait. Classic mudraker and his mudraking is lazy to make it worse.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Why isn't the media vomiting forth any stories about any of the other 31 NFL franchises not hiring Kaepernick?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":aevdhw6l said:
Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.]

Even if this is true, and I think Florio's OPINION is 90% just that, a baseless opinion....................you can say the same thing about the other 31 teams. That they didn't want their starting QB threatened and challenged by Kaepernick.

If I had to guess, there were a few reasons we didn't sign Kaepernick

1. Costs a little more (even if he says that's not true)
2. Distraction that this team just doesn't need right now
3. Pete is looking out for Kaepernick's best interest, he's a starter and needs to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job.

All equals Austin Davis.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
replicant":2x1j8yy8 said:
and the latest.....

Colin Kaepernick shuts down talk about salary being reason he’s not signed with one retweet

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/col ... li=BBnb4R7

Did Pete say it was about salary?

Cause what I heard was Pete say that Kaepernick was a starting QB, and that he should go to a team that gives him a chance to do that..........and that's not here.

Idiot media is trying to make this about something it's not.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ed0qbdf3 said:
replicant":ed0qbdf3 said:
and the latest.....

Colin Kaepernick shuts down talk about salary being reason he’s not signed with one retweet

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/col ... li=BBnb4R7

Did Pete say it was about salary?

Cause what I heard was Pete say that Kaepernick was a starting QB, and that he should go to a team that gives him a chance to do that..........and that's not here.

Idiot media is trying to make this about something it's not.

I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can say that that comment by Pete makes little to no sense. You don't pass on a better player for "equal pay" just because as an NFL head coach you are a fan and "want what's best for the player" and not the team.

Hyak

Reaction score
^^^^^^^

Garafalo of NFLN said today that Seattle never made a formal offer to Kaepernick after the May 25th meet and greet with both him and Davis.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 4207508480

Money wasn't an issue because it never was offered. The only thing we do know is that the team felt he was a starting caliber player at a spot where the opportunity to play is remote at best. One can deduce that they didn't think he'd embrace a clear #2 role or that starting caliber has some correlation with price. I also believe that the media attention that a signing of CK would have generated was a factor in the decision as generally teams don't relish intense focus on backups (aka Tebowmania). Ironically, that Spike Lee instagram post on the 27th probably did little to ease that concern.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":25g3q539 said:
I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can say that that comment by Pete makes little to no sense. You don't pass on a better player for "equal pay" just because as an NFL head coach you are a fan and "want what's best for the player" and not the team.

If this was true, then why bring in Kaepernick in the first place and subject yourself to the scrutiny when you don't sign him?

That's why I tend to side with Pete more than Kaepernick saying it wasn't about the money.

If all things were equal, then I think we sign the better QB, that's WHY we brought him in. Makes me think he did want more money, or at least more guaranteed money than Davis.

If we didn't sign Kaep because of all these other reasons people are insinuating? Then we don't bring him in the first place.

Seymour

Reaction score
Any good caliber veteran backup QB is worth at least $2M (likely more).
It is possible they knew he was worth more and didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer. That is about all that makes sense to me at this point.

Some weird stuff like this happened with Tate. Pete said something to the effect "too bad we were never able to get to our final / best offer" after Tate said he was insulted.

Hyak

Reaction score
Seymour":2pm7ou45 said:

Reportedly, they never made him an offer after meeting with him. Is that evidence that money wasn't a factor? If that meeting gave the Seahawks the impression that he's a starter, then it opens up the realistic expectations of whether the player can embrace a clear backup role with minimal to zero PT and whatever money expectations go along with being a starter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":37r0mywn said:
It is possible they knew he was worth more and didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer. That is about all that makes sense to me at this point.

you're right, but we don't have 2M to spend on a backup, thus going with the cheaper option of letting Davis and Boykin compete for the job.

Maybe Kaepernick was ready to sign a vet minimum deal, but if so I betcha he would have wanted more guaranteed, or more incentive money, etc.

Whatever, I'm done burning calories on the backup QB position, who cares? Kaepernick re-tweeting that it wasn't about the money just confirms that he's not done with the drama and we made the right decision.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z4zdbq2c said:
Seymour":z4zdbq2c said:

you're right, but we don't have 2M to spend on a backup, thus going with the cheaper option of letting Davis and Boykin compete for the job.

Maybe Kaepernick was ready to sign a vet minimum deal, but if so I betcha he would have wanted more guaranteed, or more incentive money, etc.

Whatever, I'm done burning calories on the backup QB position, who cares? Kaepernick re-tweeting that it wasn't about the money just confirms that he's not done with the drama and we made the right decision.

And exactly why I never thought he would end up here also. So I agree....I just like to know exactly why myself. I suppose I like to solve mysteries. :mrgreen: