Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1vzfg1vf said:
Seymour":1vzfg1vf said:
Uncle Si":1vzfg1vf said:
Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.

I wondered that as well. The main problem I'm having with that thought is, why would Pete give him the endorsement and even say someone should sign him, if they plan or even hope he falls to them at a lessor cost? If you really want a player on your team, you don't tip your hand and pretty much advise another team to sign him.

Fair point. I guess it depends on how much he "really" wants him. I'm not sure Kaep is necessity to requirements for the Seahawks.

Maybe he just likes the kid and wants to see him starting for an NFL team this year.

That is pretty much where I think Pete is with this also. He believes and promotes being yourself, and doesn't like seeing someone pay a heavy price for taking a stand on what you believe in.

Problem is, there are several other factors involved with Kap that may caution other teams from making him an offer.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think those problems are blown out of proportion, if he's a starter. Teams may balk at the opportunity of bringing him in as a backup because he is polarizing (to some). However, if a team thinks he can win games for them, I don't think it will be an issue. He's certainly not the only one to exercise his rights while being a football player. I have a feeling a handful of NFL teams are measuring up their current QB status, will want a starter and may come calling soon enough.

NINEster

Reaction score
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/se ... ick/373934

The Seattle Seahawks emerged as the most likely suitor for Colin Kaepernick over the past week or so, but it does not appear they are going to sign the quarterback. Why? That depends who you ask.

Over the weekend, NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo reported that the Seahawks have not signed Kaepernick for financial reasons. According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, money has nothing to do with it. Instead, Florio was told by a source that Seattle’s decision to not sign Kaepernick was “strategic” because they think he is worthy of being a starter.

Here’s more:

Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.

Currently, Trevone Boykin and Jake Heaps are the only other candidates to play, and no one will be clamoring for either of them. If the Seth Wickersham article regarding the belief that the Seahawks don’t hold Wilson accountable is accurate, the Seahawks have every reason to resist adding a player behind whom certain players could rally.

The Wickersham article that Florio referred to was the explosive feature about Richard Sherman and the Seahawks that came out last month. While Sherman was the main subject, the piece also highlighted the supposed “resentment” players hold toward Wilson.

Even I couldn't come up with these storylines. :lol: :irishdrinkers:

Hyak

Reaction score
Logic dictates that Kaepernick wants an opportunity to play and that such a situation calls for a salary more in line with experienced backup money at minimum, which is $ 3 M - $ 6 M. Seattle had no plans to pay that kind of money for the #2 QB IMO.

This idea that money wasn't an issue doesn't jive when you factor in the current Seattle cap situation.

Seymour

Reaction score
JTB":1v9sfvjs said:
Logic dictates that Kaepernick wants an opportunity to play and that such a situation calls for a salary more in line with experienced backup money at minimum, which is $ 3 M - $ 6 M. Seattle had no plans to pay that kind of money for the #2 QB IMO.

This idea that money wasn't an issue doesn't jive when you factor in the current Seattle cap situation.

+1.
Money is always an issue with every player signed. The more we spend on any player, is that much less we have to work with for keeping players we like into their 2nd contract or other extensions.

Hyak

Reaction score
The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

Seymour

Reaction score
JTB":oqcclx1v said:
The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

Of course. There are 31 other teams that are "haters" combined with their fans and other activists that eat this garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That troll is just more and more becoming the Heraldo of sports writers. :pukeface:

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":3759y0te said:
JTB":3759y0te said:

Of course. There are 31 other teams that are "haters" combined with their fans and other activists that eat this garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That troll is just more and more becoming the Heraldo of sports Sensationalists. :pukeface:

There fixed it, to write you have to have knowledge and or dig up the story and validate it's sources and information. Florio does none of that, relies on third parties and if he can't find something then it becomes a inside source to prop it up.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3mcpbq9i said:
JTB":3mcpbq9i said:

Of course. There are 31 other teams that are "haters" combined with their fans and other activists that eat this garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That troll is just more and more becoming the Heraldo of sports writers. :pukeface:
And he's not even a sports writer. He takes tweets and information off of other websites and either he or his staff reports it. There's really not much actual digging first-person done by that click-bait website. And you are right in that that he writes his own take on a news story to fan the flames for more web clicks. He has no credibility ... just an easy-to-read format that composites a lump of NFL information together.

Seymour

Reaction score
It really does all add up in the end. Look at who his boss is. :twisted:

Pete prisco voodoo 275 367

Cole yahoo

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There are three sure things in life

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. When they say it's not about the money...........it's about the money.

Why would Kaepernick want to come here anyway on a cheap one year deal? He's got no shot at starting, so if he's going to take a veteran minimum contract, why wouldn't he go somewhere with a crap QB so he has a better chance of competing for a starting job?

Seymour

Reaction score
The trollers are lining up at the docks and getting their power bait hooked up with their pop gear..... :roll:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/status/871779667270922240[/tweet]

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Seymour":l9wjg9er said:
The trollers are lining up at the docks and getting their power bait hooked up with their pop gear..... :roll:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/status/871779667270922240[/tweet]

I dont see where the corpse is a heads or tails guy....is there something I am missing here? :twisted: :stirthepot:

Hyak

Reaction score
This whole thing just pisses me off on so many levels.

1. Does everyone forget that Kaepernick lost his starting job to Blaine Gabbert in 2015 and 2016 training camp?
2. Is it more than likely that Kaepernick wants a contract for more than the veteran minimum and a chance to play?
3. Is it reasonable for the Seahawks to determine that CK isn't a good fit because he perhaps views himself as a starting caliber guy and that position isn't available with Wilson here?
4. Wasn't the whole exercise about pushing Boykin anyhow?

The narratives are all that Kaepernick is being black balled and that he wasn't signed because the team is afraid that he'll out play Wilson!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":12zertxa said:
The narratives are all that Kaepernick is being black balled and that he wasn't signed because the team is afraid that he'll out play Wilson!

I do believe there's some blackballing going on, especially with some old guard owners and teams.

But this organization isn't one of them, we've got one of the most open minded forward thinking owners, front offices and coaches in the league, if not THE most open minded.

So all this backlash is crap to me. If a writer's going to take us to task, take the other 31 teams to task as well. At least we had the balls to bring Kaepernick in and see if he was a good fit, what's the excuse for the other 31 teams?

Seymour

Reaction score
Yes, it's a bit irritating for sure. Our biggest mistake was even bringing him in and thus putting the spotlight on what they end up doing when they likely knew his price would be more than they allowed for that position.
So now we are the goats since it fits their theory, and nothing else matters. Common sense need not apply....

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":58xqrycu said:
They are still negotiating. The longer we get into summer, the weaker CK's leverage becomes.

Someone will likely pick him up be it the Hawks or someone else.

Likely.

Northwest Seahawk":58xqrycu said:
Probably for the best. We don't need a QB controversy right now .

That will never happen re: Wilson v. Kaep

JTB":58xqrycu said:

I believe this is very much true. Hawks are very close to the cap. You want that flexibility to grab a released vet or get someone late in case of injury

JTB":58xqrycu said:
This whole thing just pisses me off on so many levels.

Not worth getting upset over. There is a chance that he still ends up here. I don't see us signing Davis as a move that halts our search to improve the roster. If Colin stews out there until training camp and finds a 1m/vet minimum salary acceptable I could see us easily signing him if we indeed deem him a fit here.

Who really cares about the national narratives in June? The story lines in this month are easily forgotten by the end of July.

Seymour":58xqrycu said:
Yes, it's a bit irritating for sure. Our biggest mistake was even bringing him in and thus putting the spotlight on what they end up doing when they likely knew his price would be more than they allowed for that position.
So now we are the goats since it fits their theory, and nothing else matters. Common sense need not apply....

No need to be irritated. It's a slow news month in the NFL. None of this matters in the least when the pads come on. Nor would I term bringing him in a mistake. Bored sportwriters with nothing to report still have deadlines and circulation quotas to meet.

I don't think signing Davis means anything with regard to Colin. That move is a no money/risk signing. Seattle keeps a slow burn on dozens of players at every position every single year. If the salary landscape improves in their favor, they could pull the trigger in a heartbeat. In reality, we don't need Colin to be competitive. So no reason to rush into signing him for more than the minimum. We got the opportunity to meet with him, see if he could fit and vet him. It simply gives us the ability to move quickly on him if the money fits. Instead of having to waste time trying to figure him out when that time comes.

We do this every year. Bring in guys who almost always sign elsewhere. We cast a wide net in this regard and some we do sign. No sense in fretting about a practice that we've established since PCJS have arrived. Just because national beat writers that don't have any notion that this is common practice here shouldn't become an irritant for us locally. They simply don't get it. Or do but want to wring readership from the Kaepernick story as hard as possible during this dead time.

Hyak

Reaction score
I guess my irritation is not with whether they sign Kaepernick or not but the real reasons for their decision as opposed to media members using it to justify their stance on things.

1. I absolutely do not believe Florio and Freeman when they say price was not an issue. Especially when other media folks like Clayton, Garafalo, and even Prisco say Kaepernick was asking for a salary in the Millions.

2. It irks me that some are taking this along with the ESPN report to insinuate that the team didn't sign him for fear of CK beating out Wilson on the field.

3. I agree that if CK's price were to drop to a vet min plus incentives deal or if Wilson were to be injured, the Hawks decision would be likely different.