Seahawks officially out of playoff picture

RiverDog

Reaction score
23% seems a little high, but we played the Niners better than the #1 team in the NFC. Transitive property doesn’t work in the NFL, and divisional rivalry, and alll that, but anything is still possible.

Not sure if I really want to make the playoffs. We need some draft help, and some coaching turnover, and not making the playoffs puts us in a better position for both.
The NYT's playoff predictor used to treat every game the same, with equal likelihood of either team winning or losing. But this year, they're incorporating data from betting organizations and assigning a win probability to the remaining games of each team.

My guess is that they have us finishing the season at 9-8 but losing the tiebreaker to the Rams and Packers. Like us, the Rams will be underdogs in 2 of their remaining games (vs. Ravens and Niners) and the Packers will have no more than two games (vs. Bucs and Vikings) where they'll be the underdog. Of the three 6-6 teams, the Packers have the easiest schedule with the Bears, Giants, and Panthers on their docket. If we finish with the same record as the Rams and Packers, we'll lose the tiebreaker.

Your second paragraph represents a real conundrum for me. In my heart, it's against my nature to root for my team to lose, but the logical side of my mind tells me that it's probably better in the long run if we were to lose.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
This (playoff predictor) may be right, but any team relying on other teams to lose to make the playoffs, at this point in the season, doesn't really deserve to be in. That's my take anyways.
I completely agree. It's absurd to have a playoff system with 14 out of the 32 teams qualifying. The #7 seed is by definition mediocre, with records in the .500ish range commonly qualifying.

But, in all things with the NFL, the quality of the product isn't nearly as important as its profitability.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Please, spare us the national embarrassment. We better see some serious off season moves next year. And ya I'm talking coaching staff first and foremost. I'm also calling out Adams, Dremont jones, Diggs, Darryl Taylor, the entire interior D Line except for Williams and Reed, the entire intreior Offensive line except for Bradford, think he's got some potential. Until we beef up our trenches, all these shiny toys Pete loves so much at skill positions is irrelevant. Draft our QBOTF and let's get back to owning this division......
This.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Well, then, I guess the Seahawks need to run the table or lose one more at most. 9-8 probably ain't gonna get it done this year. They have nobody but themselves to blame for getting SWEPT by the Rams.
Agreed. Out of all the serious blunders this season has gifted us , the 2 Rams losses will prove to be Seattle's undoing.
IMHO

morgulon1

Reaction score
The NYT's playoff predictor used to treat every game the same, with equal likelihood of either team winning or losing. But this year, they're incorporating data from betting organizations and assigning a win probability to the remaining games of each team.

My guess is that they have us finishing the season at 9-8 but losing the tiebreaker to the Rams and Packers. Like us, the Rams will be underdogs in 2 of their remaining games (vs. Ravens and Niners) and the Packers will have no more than two games (vs. Bucs and Vikings) where they'll be the underdog. Of the three 6-6 teams, the Packers have the easiest schedule with the Bears, Giants, and Panthers on their docket. If we finish with the same record as the Rams and Packers, we'll lose the tiebreaker.

Your second paragraph represents a real conundrum for me. In my heart, it's against my nature to root for my team to lose, but the logical side of my mind tells me that it's probably better in the long run if we were to lose.
I think I see where you're coming from. If Seattle losing games brings about fundamental change for the better , I'm for it. The scary part for me is that as long as Grandpa is in the building , it won't be genuine. Anyone new brought in is going to do as Grandpa wants and the results will stay the same.

Purgatory.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The freefall out into nothing continues.

Expect a few more consecutive L's.

The last loss to the Rams was a back breaker and likely sealed the end of the Seahawks playoff aspirations for this season.

Some big defensive changes need to happen soon. The defence is hopelessly incapable and hopelessly simple as well.

James in PA

Reaction score
The freefall out into nothing continues.

Expect a few more consecutive L's.

The last loss to the Rams was a back breaker and likely sealed the end of the Seahawks playoff aspirations for this season.

Some big defensive changes need to happen soon. The defence is hopelessly incapable and hopelessly simple as well.
They even said it on the Thanksgiving night broadcast: losing to the Rams the week before was so deflating for the Seahawks. Even though the Niners game was still technically for first place, it just didn't feel like a true battle for first. Not saying we would have beaten the Niners, but we would have brought more juice if we had identical records going into that game. Donald, McVay and company, as usual, completely derailed our season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Hawks have opened up as a 12.5-point underdog, the biggest underdog we've been in 12 years:

The Seahawks are +12.5 underdogs heading into their Week 14 NFC West showdown with the 49ers, according to FanDuel. That is the biggest spread the team has faced since Week 2 of the 2011 season when they were +13.5 dogs to the Pittsburgh Steelers, per sports betting analyst Ben Fawkes on X/Twitter
The bad news for Seahawks fans is that the last time Vegas pegged the team as huge dogs Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers easily covered, beating Tarvaris Jackson and Seattle 24-0 back in 2011.

Optimus25

Reaction score
They even said it on the Thanksgiving night broadcast: losing to the Rams the week before was so deflating for the Seahawks. Even though the Niners game was still technically for first place, it just didn't feel like a true battle for first. Not saying we would have beaten the Niners, but we would have brought more juice if we had identical records going into that game. Donald, McVay and company, as usual, completely derailed our season.
Agreed with this. Just like the playoffs last year, the butt kicking really came after we handed it over. Even after all their haymakers early, a TD drive in the 3rd QTR would have made it a 24-17 game and us with a mountain of momentum.

Instead Waldron called a pitch to Charb that resulted in a near fumble and pissing away a down and total red zone shut down, leading to a Field goal, and the avalanche from the first half just continued into the second thereafter.