Seahawks sign CJ Spiller

HawkerD

Reaction score
ACFan":34dzte98 said:
Head scratching over all the AC hate / dismissals in this thread.

It's very early in his career, and he's already doing just fine as a back up, nothing wrong with what he did last week. running, blocking or catching. "solid" and "steady" is how CPC described him.

He'll get better with the opportunities he'll have coming up, just watch!

It's not that the zone blocking scheme isn't suited for his style, it's that he needs time to tweak his style to the zone blocking scheme. and he will.

6 carries so far? give it time.

He very well could be the 3rd down back for the remainder of the year, he could prove worthy of that before CJ Prosise even heals. I don't believe there is a better pass blocking back on the team, healthy or otherwise, and I believe he can prove to be nearly as an effective receiver as Prosise, or this new guy, all while having a 1st/2nd down RB body.

I also believe he is quite capable, or it's quite possible, AC is no worse than 2nd string RB the rest of the year.

He's 2nd string right, If he looks good to great over these next few games(and I believe he will) then it'll be up to someone else to show they are playing at an equal level.

And I don't see this new guy, Brooks, Rawls or Prosise doing that for the first half of the season at least.

AC's going to be healthy, he's going to be out there, and he's going to be getting better each week at learning how to run in this style of offense at NFL speed. just wait and see.

'You must be this guys press agent. No other explanation. At best he is Turbin...at best!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seafan":2dunyvdo said:
ivotuk":2dunyvdo said:
SeahawksFanForever":2dunyvdo said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.

A flippant comment. There were reasons that Rawls wasn't drafted. There were reasons CM was on the street last year.

Spiller IS an immediate upgrade at 3rd down back. You never want AC on the field on third down unless it's on a give up draw. The Hawks want to win.

Not flippant, Spiller has had injury problems his entire career, both college and professional. He's a great back, when healthy.

The Seahawks are about the future, and at 29 years old, I don't think there's a lot of that left with Spiller. I like the guy, was hoping that we would draft him, but he went too high for us IIRC. Age and all of those hits have caught up with him and I just don't see him as a dependable player.

Alex Collins is a solid back, and will have a better career than Turbin. But he must not practice well because all through college, and now here, coaches were always playing other backs. So as an afterthought, Collins put up 3, 1000 yard seasons in the SEC, playing for Arkansas. They've been a good team, but no one will mistake them for National Champions.

But AC is in a tough situation, because CMike and Rawls are both excellent backs, with much better burst. If Alex were the main back, he would be doing well, probably putting up 60 to 80 yards each game. It always takes a running back a quarter or two to get in to a groove. In the second half of a game is when they start breaking the big runs.

Running behind this line has been a struggle for backs, but It's improving. We haven't seen any really good running games this year, but NY, LA and Miami have some really good defensive lines. I think the Jets may be the best in the league.