Seahawks sign Dion Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting addition, worth seeing if the team can take his exceptional athleticism and make him into the player he was thought to be able to develop into.

bighawk

Reaction score
Getting back to his playing weight in college is the key and working with the new DL coach Clint Hurtt will work wonders Travis Jones was promoted to some other position. Clark exploded last year when he played lighter i think Dion will play better if healthy and lighter.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
mikeak":3sltf2o7 said:
So from a draft we had zero first round picks (P. Harvin) we now have #2 Luke Joeckel #3 Dion Jordan #56 Arthur Brown #61 Eddie Lacy signed this one offseason..........
Lots of ways to spin this either way, but a quality post. The draft is a crap shoot and the first round just has higher stakes.

I do think that in Jordan's case, he was absolutely misused.

mikeak

Reaction score
nash72":1n7yqm31 said:
Yeah, with enough of these 'low risk, high reward' types, surely we will hit on one of them right? Right?

This is it I think. We spent some $8million on Joeckel, $3M-$4M on Lacy and then smaller amounts I think on Jordan and then a cheap WR

Hopefully we hit on Jordan and the WR since I am going to assume we had more leverage with them and have them for 2-3 year contracts.

Has anyone seen the details on this deal yet? I could totally see a non-guaranteed $1million for 2017 and $6 million for 2018 and 2019 each. With the option to cut him after this year. That way if he succeeds he cashes in but he does it with Seattle. I really hope it is not another 1 year deal but instead with a big carrot to the player but the upside also stays with Seattle

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I remember him dropping into coverage and doing a good job on slot receivers while at Oregon. He really is a great athlete.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2qxcwh71 said:
Basically the same story as the Joekel signing.

The Hawks have unexpected cap room so they're spending it on one year prove it moonshots on major NFL-level busts that won't have any long-term ramifications for cap strategy.

Even if both Jordan and Joekel are as awful as they've been up to this point I still really like the strategy.

The only consequence could be if they get PT they don't deserve, but on one year deals there's a pretty small risk of even that happening, and it's not like the Hawks seem to have good young depth at either position who could be getting experience.

Even if it doesn't work really nothing not to like about it, IMO.

Joekel is instantly--if healthy--Seattle's second best offensive lineman. No, he didn't live up to being drafted #3, but he's at least an average starter; and he'll start on Seattle barring setbacks and help this team do a better job of protecting their investment at QB.

It's hard to project Jordan as much more than a camp body, at this point.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1xsoogcd said:
mikeak":1xsoogcd said:
So from a draft we had zero first round picks (P. Harvin) we now have #2 Luke Joeckel #3 Dion Jordan #56 Arthur Brown #61 Eddie Lacy signed this one offseason..........
Lots of ways to spin this either way, but a quality post. The draft is a crap shoot and the first round just has higher stakes.

I do think that in Jordan's case, he was absolutely misused.

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about that first round fact, mikeak lol.

I completely agree, vin.couve12, misused and taken far too high. Jordan played roughly 50% of defensive snaps his last year at Oregon (IIRC) and was seen as a very raw player that relied on his athleticism to abuse lesser competition in the form of out-of-conference and bottom-half Pac 12 teams. He hardly had big performances against better competition.

With that said, I actually love this signing. Low risk, high reward for another former 1st rounder that is going to be playing to salvage his career. Big, strong and a freak athlete, he fits exactly what PC/JS want. I hope getting out of that loser mentality organization down in Miami will help. The guy needs to keep his nose cleaner than a Priest on Sunday, though, considering his previous suspensions.

I keep getting more and more excited for this coming season :irishdrinkers:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
mikeak":13jh84zk said:
I see references in this thread to a one year contract. Does anyone have a link?

Can't find it anywhere (at least right now). Funny that it somehow worked its way into the discussion.

chris98251

Reaction score
I do think they will have him at his college weight or close, it's where his skill stood out, where his speed is and how he can contribute most. At 275 he is another guy and nothing special.

Win win for us if he pans out we have a Irvin or Clemons type guy, if not, not a lot invested and will take some of the reps off our Vets early.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He probably signed a 1 year deal or was added with futures deal.

Here's his NFL draft profile from 2013:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539288

He's done zip as an NFL player and has had 2 drug suspensions, apparently for performance enhancing drugs. He is however an interesting addition who may when re-instated be quite motivated to actually work on his craft. This was low risk high reward signing. He's a tremendous athlete, and may be a great fit in Irvin's old role as SOLB/DE situational pass rusher.

warden

Reaction score
Did he learn anything from his past mistakes?
Will he take advantage of his last opportunity?

mikeak

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ahzqs0v said:
He probably signed a 1 year deal or was added with futures deal.

I would really hope we didn't do a 1 year deal with yet another guy. I get it with the others because there was somewhat of a market for them (maybe)

We had more leverage with this guy so I really hope for a low paying 1st year with decent / good money for year 2 and 3 with nothing guaranteed or at least not guaranteed until next league year. That way we have a year to test the guy for a reasonable amount and if he is good he gets paid good money but not superstar money year 2 and 3. It is fair to the team, fair to the player and should be possible based on the low amount of leverage that Jordan has at this time

NoCal HawkFan

Reaction score
mikeak":1bxhtgqk said:
nash72":1bxhtgqk said:
Yeah, with enough of these 'low risk, high reward' types, surely we will hit on one of them right? Right?

This is it I think. We spent some $8million on Joeckel, $3M-$4M on Lacy and then smaller amounts I think on Jordan and then a cheap WR

Hopefully we hit on Jordan and the WR since I am going to assume we had more leverage with them and have them for 2-3 year contracts.

Has anyone seen the details on this deal yet? I could totally see a non-guaranteed $1million for 2017 and $6 million for 2018 and 2019 each. With the option to cut him after this year. That way if he succeeds he cashes in but he does it with Seattle. I really hope it is not another 1 year deal but instead with a big carrot to the player but the upside also stays with Seattle

Woah, I cant imagine it is anything other than a one year, vet minimum deal. The guy has not played a snap in two years and been suspended multiple times. Besides the fact of being horrible when he did play.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The rumor I heard was he's making $650k.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/851806810214248451[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
He was suspended for PED's, but was asked to bulk up 35 pounds, the two can be connected maybe, being able to play at a more natural size will be better for him ability and health wise and not need the PED's to inflate his size as well.

Not saying the Seahawks will let him play at 240 or 250 but it would make sense if they want the success he had prior to the draft.

bighawk

Reaction score
Just read he was recruited to Oregon as a tight end but then switched to end so he is still learning to be an end. Clint hurtt will teach him the nuances of technique. Drop his weight down and work like never before.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I had a scouting report on this guy even though I knew we didn't need him (Irvin) and couldn't possible get him.

Essentially, I thought he was going to need to gain about 10 pounds, but no more. If he ended up playing between 255-260, it would be just about right for him. The reason for that was no ever to play DE at any point, however. The way he's constructed, it's just not his forte. I wanted him to add just a little bit of weight and muscle so he could set an edge better than he did in college. Not unlike Bruce, who weighed in at the same weight, albeit 3 inches shorter. Jordan should never be a guy who gets to 270 unless he's over 30 and starting to get fat. He just won't hold it well.

The other reason for the playing weight that I wanted him at was that he's surprisingly adept in coverage, whether that be in zone or man. Instead of forcing him to be a player he's not (A DE), then you utilize what he's good at and what he can continue to improve upon as a pretty wicked SLB. Despite his pass rushing highlights, I thought it was going to be fairly difficult for him to sustain a corner on an edge rush, both because of his height and how lean he is. If an NFL level OT were to get his hands on him then he'd be pushed wide every time until such time where he can learn to consistently use his hands. His pass rush was always going to take time to develop, but it was a serious, serious, I mean catastrophically stupid mistake not to keep letting him cover as a LB in the mean time. He really has a lot of value there.

He was indeed overdrafted and ALSO asked to be something he wasn't. He should fill in perfectly as Irvin 2.0 at SLB, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.