Seahawks trading back in round 1

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
i just hope we dont outsmart ourselves again if we trade back. i know we have a good reputation in rounds 3-6 but its time identify the primary needs and hit on them. we have a HOF QB that needs protected and a huge question mark in the core of our defense at DT with Bane gone

im actually more in favor of trading up in rnd 1 if needed than trading down, as we have 2 certain needs- OT and DT. there is starting caliber talent through round 2 at both positions, sure. but in my estimation there is a dropoff in talent at both positions by the mid/end of round 1 as most/all of the top DTs and OTs are projected to be gone by the time we pick. if we are in jeopardy of losing the last remaining "it" player at a position of need to a team 5-6 picks ahead of us, its time to be aggressive for a change and pull the trigger to move up... we have plenty of ammo this year to pull off such a maneuver. face it, the drop off between a jack conklin and a jason spriggs/cody whitehair is probably significant.

pcjs and their scouts know far more about these players than we do, i would just like to see them be aggressive and get a stud instead of settling for someones 2nd and extra mid 4th rounder. its been such a passive offseason already :x

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Davidess":kni7x2n7 said:
If you are referring to the draft chart. that is a very outdated chart and is not often used anymore.

It is old and outdated.

But in reality, most trades even today still mirror this closely. Seattle doesn't. So it makes it seem very outdated by local fans.

And it's easy to cite outlier trades as proof to it's lack of predictive value. There are plenty of those. But if you look at the trades as a whole -- it's still very very applicable to the garden variety trades you see on draft day.

Old or not, it's still very closely followed. Whether that's by design or not.

It's worth noting that the chart wasn't just created in a room by a stat egghead. It was devised based on the bulk of trade data going back years at the time. That kind of herd mentality doesn't just evaporate overnight. It's still followed by an large to this day. It may apply a bit less than when it was first published given the changes to the CBA -- but it'd be pretty easy to demonstrate that the chart is more a reflection on what most teams think of draft pick value and not the basis for what teams think of draft pick value.