Seattle Mariners 2024 offseason

getnasty

Reaction score
Gonna be tough to score runs on them for sure. Would love to see them add Bellinger or Chapman to really put them over the top but not holding my breath.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Gonna be tough to score runs on them for sure. Would love to see them add Bellinger or Chapman to really put them over the top but not holding my breath.
I would actually wait until trade deadline to spend the rest since the owner is so cheap. The Ms have maybe the best pen in the game. The starting pitchers are really, really good.

Hopefully the offense shows up. I think they will enough.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was all ready to do a first ever boycott for LIVE games. I will always watch on TV. But.........they are starting to make a few moves to put me on the fence.
I need one more GOOD addition, especially offensively.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I was all ready to do a first ever boycott for LIVE games. I will always watch on TV. But.........they are starting to make a few moves to put me on the fence.
I need one more GOOD addition, especially offensively.
Been thinking the same thing. Not yet there to get me particularly hopeful, but if they're able to add another threat at the plate, sign me up.

DJrmb

Reaction score
They are still 2 bats away in my opinion from really competing. And they've hurt their pitching. I'm still boycotting personally.
53%
"Doing the fans a favor"

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
They are still 2 bats away in my opinion from really competing. And they've hurt their pitching. I'm still boycotting personally.
53%
"Doing the fans a favor"
Have fun. And competing from what? The pitching is top 3 in most ratings. The bats are top 12. If that happens, its 90+.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Julio practicing more patience at the plate rather than always trying to pull off supernatural feats would automatically be like getting another offseason bat.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's easy to say "I'm boycotting."
Then the season starts, and I suspect I'll be right where I always am. Pulling for the team and going to a few games a few at home.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Have fun. And competing from what? The pitching is top 3 in most ratings. The bats are top 12. If that happens, its 90+.
How about competing for the division?

Jerry and co did a decent job putting some pieces together to make chicken salad out of what they were forced to work with, but I'm not supporting a team this year that's just a bunch of supporting cast without the leads they need to actually win a championship. You guys can keep lining cheap ownership's pockets while they reach for 53%. I will not.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's your choice. I was absolutely set to boycott any live game. Now? Meh. I love baseball too much. As well as a chance to hang out with friends and enjoy a game. I know exactly what this management and ownership is. Cheap. But.......whatever. I enjoy pain. Go M's.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I don't blame you one bit man. I've been there many years in the past. I love baseball too and on top of that I love anything hometown...

This year I just can't put up with the heartache after knowing money could have pushed this team over the edge. I guess my pot finally boiled over with this ownership group. It's tough to be a fan when you know the team didn't do everything they could to win. It just kinda makes it all feel unauthentic.

Chapow

Reaction score
Awesome offseason to me.

90+ wins so far to me.

They did more than I thought they would, but 90+ wins seems awfully optimistic to me. Pretty much everything would have to go right, and pretty much nothing could go wrong for that to happen.

I agree that both the starting pitching and the bullpen should once again be very good (although I don't think the pen will be quite as good as they were the first 5 months of last season). However, they are going to be heavily relying on Polanco, Haniger, and Garver to be major contributors on offense. All 3 of these guys have a very extensive history of missing a lot of time due to injuries. It would be far more surprising if these guys stayed healthy and productive for an entire season than if they didn't. This is incredibly risky, and IMO, probably not very likely to work out well for us. Even if they somehow miraculously stay healthy for an entire season, our offense is still behind the likes of the Astros and Rangers, and quite frankly, it's not really close.

I hate to say it, because I'd love to believe the M's have a shot at contending for the division, but the AL West looks like a 2 horse race between Houston and Texas to me. Once again, the M's just didn't do enough to improve the offense IMO, and the 3 biggest moves they did make are very risky.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Too much riding on injury with the new players. 85-88 wins, miss playoffs by a few games, again. Fangraphs has the Ms number 1 in average runs allowed per game. So the season depends on the offense, again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
They did more than I thought they would, but 90+ wins seems awfully optimistic to me. Pretty much everything would have to go right, and pretty much nothing could go wrong for that to happen.

I agree that both the starting pitching and the bullpen should once again be very good (although I don't think the pen will be quite as good as they were the first 5 months of last season). However, they are going to be heavily relying on Polanco, Haniger, and Garver to be major contributors on offense. All 3 of these guys have a very extensive history of missing a lot of time due to injuries. It would be far more surprising if these guys stayed healthy and productive for an entire season than if they didn't. This is incredibly risky, and IMO, probably not very likely to work out well for us. Even if they somehow miraculously stay healthy for an entire season, our offense is still behind the likes of the Astros and Rangers, and quite frankly, it's not really close.

I hate to say it, because I'd love to believe the M's have a shot at contending for the division, but the AL West looks like a 2 horse race between Houston and Texas to me. Once again, the M's just didn't do enough to improve the offense IMO, and the 3 biggest moves they did make are very risky.
Ill put $25 bet they win 90.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Too much riding on injury with the new players. 85-88 wins, miss playoffs by a few games, again. Fangraphs has the Ms number 1 in average runs allowed per game. So the season depends on the offense, again.
Money bet of $25 they hit 90?

Chapow

Reaction score
Ill put $25 bet they win 90.

No thanks. I don't bet on things that are completely out of my control because that seems stupid to me. Even I did, I'm a huge M's fan. I have no interest in betting against them doing well.

Sorry if you didn't like my opinion regarding the offseason, but at least I bothered to explain why I have my concerns, and why I believe those are very valid concerns. I just think way too much is riding on guys that have proven to be very injury prone. I sure hope they have a solid backup plan for when/if these guys miss significant time, because based on their track record, it seems awfully likely that they will.

Having said that, I'd love to hear why you think this offseason has been so awesome that you believe they'll win 90+ games, and how you're able to simply disregard the fact that our 3 biggest offensive additions, that are critical to a successful season, carry a huge amount of risk.